“Simply the best”

Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Simply the best”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Have just spent 5weeks at the El Kantaoui Centre and had the best holiday ever . The hotel is like home from home the staff are great they will do anything for you ,the hotel is in a great place 5 min from Port Kantaoui and 5 min in taxi to sousse .The boy and girl who do the entertainment are great they put on a really great show and really make you feel at ease ,the food is good but needs to make more for their British Guest .The hotel is very clean the room have all been up dated and are fresh and clean .I love this hotel and have been going there for many years now and will be going again in April so if you want a really great hotel in port Kantaoui this is the one can't wait to be back to see all my friends there so I give this hotel 5stars

Room Tip: All the room are good clean the rooms at the back of the hotel are great as they look over the sea .
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank lornadoon13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We are very satisfied with everything in the hotel .
Friendly staff,god food ,fantastic view to the seaside.
Big indoorpool
We can recommended this hotel to everyone .
We changes room two times ,and we got the best we ever had before .
Everything its possible ,if you just ask for it ,friendly ofcours .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank madamg-38
Varna, Bulgaria
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Interesting architecture and quite good location.The staff tried to be helpful but maybe we had different standards of it. Not very clean, but not bad at all.We had breakfast and dinner and food was delicious and fresh.The water in the outdoors pool was freezing.The worst thing was the annoying local men in the lobby who were selling excursions to different places in the neighborhood.They don`t stop talking to you when U say NO

Room Tip: if your room is on the side of restaurant U hear waiters preparing tables since early morning
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank LussyV
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2014

2nd time in this hotel and both times were enjoyable. The staff could not do enough for you and always with a smile. Christmas was the 1st time I ever went all inclusive and found by doing that you met more people because they were in the dining room or the bar. Evening time in the bar was fun and the entertainment team did their best to please everyone, I even won the bingo! The 1st room we were in was small but acceptable until there was a bad windy evening and we discovered a hole in the door that the wind whistled through, upon reporting it to reception they offered to move us immediately. Its a lovely hotel and lovely management so I hate to be negative but I think the cleaners could be a bit more thorough and the chief a bit more imaginative, that said I would still go back there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Drogheda1
Quality22, Guest Relations Manager at El Kantaoui Center, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for writing us a review as they are very helpful when trying to improve our hotel for a more enjoyable stay for future guests. I’m happy to hear you found the hotel friendly and enjoyed spending you evenings in the bar, and congrats to you for winning the bingo!! I’m also happy that the reception staff was very helpful when it came to changing your room. And thank you for bringing to our attention the things you think need improving, this is very helpful to us, the points you brought up our common complaints about the hotel so we are currently trying to fix them.
Thank you once again and we hope to see you for a third time maybe.

Guest Relations Manager
wales
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We were staying in the golf residence but Booked into the vincci all inclusive as it was cheaper than paying local prices for beer and a lunch every day. First impressions were impressive as the lovely older lady who checked us in on reception was so friendly and could not do enough for us but alas from here it went down hill. The all inclusive bar was one tiny depressing room that regularly ran out of things. Ie my wife who likes a diet coke had to buy her own from the supermarket as hotel had ran out ( have they not the intelligence to send someone to local supermarket to buy a few bottles) food was fair quality and you could always find something to eat and the young lady who was our waitress was outstanding in her friendliness and helpfulness after returning from lunch one day we entered the all inclusive bar to be greeted with a funny smell which after working as a nightclub doorman I immediately identified as being the smoke from canabis resin this had to be coming from either one of the animation team or the bar man as apart from my wife and I all the other occupants of the bar were staff. Was also very angry that in the only bar in the hotel that had a tv I was forced to buy a drink just so I could watch the football match on tv. The only member of the animation staff I could tolerate was kiko who was one hell of a nice guy. As for bebo it was only the thought of being detained in a tunisian police cell that stopped me from doing serious harm to him after he grabbed me by the neck even after this I tried to get on with the guy but he is just a waste of tunisian blood. As for the prostitutes other people have mentioned this is true we were told by a local bar owner that they are managed by the Russian mafia.no doubt I will get a reply from heather brownlie animator or guest relations manager at the vincci or whatever else she calls herself this week denying all my claims. What ms brownlie fails to inform people is that she is the fiancé of one of the animation crew so it is in her interests to deny everything. Finally I conclude by saying if you only stay at one hotel in port el kanatoui make sure it is not the vincci

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank madhound
Firstly, I’m glad to hear the reception staff welcomed you and you found them friendly and helpful.

Secondly, we have now added Diet Coke to our bar order as it is a common disappointment to guests. Also it’s nice to hear the restaurant staff was friendly and helpful to you and your wife.
As you know I spend most evenings in the all inclusive bar and I’ve never came across cannabis, its illegal and it’s not worth the boys jobs if they were to get caught with it.

As for the bar with the TV, you aren’t forced to buy a drink if you are a guest of the hotel you can freely sit in their and watch the television free of charge, the only thing we don’t allow is that you bring your all inclusive drinks in.
I’m glad you got on well with Kiko as he a valued member of our team and is very good at his job. I think your comments about Bibo are a bit rude and extreme, I’m sure if he put his hands on you then he was just trying to be friendly and have a joke, as Bibo wouldn’t hurt a fly.

I think it’s ridiculous that you think the Russian Mafia has anything to do with the hotel as this is real life not a film. (Don’t believe everything you hear, especially from local barmen)
You were right to expect a reply from me as it is my job to reply to the reviews.

I would like to inform you I am NOT engaged and if I was I would prefer it if you didn’t broadcast my private life on this or any other website ever again as you don’t know me. It’s very rude.

I defend the hotel because it is my job.

Thank you for your very interesting review.

Guest relations Manger
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had a wonderful stay here. We arrived on Christmas day and were greeted with a cheery "Merry Christmas" by all the staff we met. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. The animation staff were always full of energy and always smiling.We had a great New Years eve too.. The port is just a 10 minute walk and is a very pretty place with lots of shops and restaurants. The restaurants in the hotel were excellent, the meal we had in "Romeo & Juliets" was delicious and very reasonably priced. We only had bed and breakfast which was ideal for us as we like to explore and experience local food and culture. The buffet breakfast served an excellent variety of food and the staff were lovely. One thing we did miss was not being able to get a pot of tea for 2, although we had taken some Yorkshire tea bags with us and could get several cups of hot water at breakfast it would have been nice to be able to sit in reception or around the hotel and have a pot of tea in the afternoon. English tea served in a teapot should be available...please add this to your beverage menu and available on "room service" or a kettle with cups in the rooms. Overall this hotel has lots to offer and we would recommend a stay here. The rooms were very clean and the bed extremely comfortable and huge!! could do with better pillows though...

Room Tip: we were in room 4108 which had a lounge, bedroom and bathroom.. it was well away from the noise of t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary Ruth J
Dear Mary,
Reading your review made me very happy, I’m so glad you enjoyed such a special day like Christmas at our hotel. As we all worked very hard on the run up to Christmas and New Year to make sure our guests had the best time. It’s lovely to hear that you enjoyed our rodeo and Joliette restaurant. Also I’m glad to hear you were interested in venturing out of the hotel to experience the local culture, as we are located in a lovely part of Tunisia.
Thank you for your suggestion about English tea I will work on making this available
Thankyou once again for your lovely review we hope to see you soon

Guest Relations Manger
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Where do I start with this hotel! I booked last minute because I didn't have time to apply for visas to my preferred destination but desperately needed a holiday.The actual hotel is of a reasonable standard for the money paid - I paid £541 for 1 week all inclusive with a single supplement so was never expecting world class.The rooms are clean and of a good standard - rooms serviced every day by the same regular cleaner who was excellent. There was a fridge in the room but this used the one and only plug socket in the room so I had to unplug so that I could use my hair straighteners and phone charger.The food in the all inclusive restaurant was well prepared and plentiful but very "samey" every day. Breakfast was definately best meal of the day. The staff in the restaurant were excellent. The all inclusive bar was a little disappointing.The actual bar is very uninviting and dull. The barman was excellent and always poured me a glass of red as soon as I walked in but other guests were complaining that the bar regularly ran out of spirits or beer. This wasn't an issue for me as I'm not a huge drinker. The animation team consisted of three young lads who were just having a ball!! It was like seeing the Chuckle Brothers on tour!! They mimed everything and the dance routines were like something from a primary school nativity! They tried to get everybody involved but they lacked experience and props. It was annoying that when I crashed out by the pool Fedi thought it funny to tickle my feet to wake me up - the only way I could guarantee proper rest was to go to bed! There is a night club on the premises that is open to all and stays open unitl 4am - Great for the youngsters but how the management can deny that prostitutes operate there is an absolute farce! They actually have rooms on permanent rent to facilitate their business and sit brazenly in the hotel reception. This is not a hotel that I would take children to.The hotel is known locally as a "dirty" hotel because of the activities of the hookers. The hotel is local to the beach and the marina and even out of season I found plenty to do. I booked a number of excursions through the rep but these were badly run. On one, I was picked up outside the hotel by a young guy and bundled into a local mini bus which was full of local Tunisian men and driven to the middle of nowhere for a 1/2 day excursion on quad bikes. There was just me and no other tourists which was a little scary. When the time was up on the quads I stood on the roadside with the guy whilst he tried to flag down a taxi. He lost patience waiting so stomped back to where we had dropped the quad, started it up and took me back to the hotel on the back of it with no helmets!! Absolutely no effort was made for the British guests in the hotel for New Year. Our meal for the New Years Eve evening consisted of soup, chicken and frozen chips and ice cream. This had to be eaten between 6pm and 7.30pm. The animation team put on a show (I use this term very loosely!) and did try to make an effort but they were so bad it was funny and I swear one guest wet herself laughing!! The entertainment also consisted on Bingo by Candlelight! The all inclusive bar shut promptly at midnight. I got the distinct impression that the hotel management want the money from the British but don't want the British as guests. I can't say enough nice things about the restaurant and bar staff, they were all superb and an absolute credit to the hotel - maybe the management could learn from them! All in all this hotel was an experience and one I would rather not repeat - This is not a hotel that welcomes the British but they will happily take your money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Patricia H
Dear Patricia
Thank you for your extensive review, we really appreciate when a guest has taken the time to write a detailed review (good or bad) as it helps us identify what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong.
First of all I’m happy that your room was of a good standard and cleaned for you on a regular basis. There will have been more than one plug socket in the room as every room is supplied with at least two. We are aware that the food is repetitive, this is in the process of improvement, and we are glad the staff in the restaurant made dining enjoyable for you. I’m happy to hear you found the bar man “excellent” as he does work very hard.
Unfortunately the animation team didn’t entertain you as much as you would have liked. The animation team have only been together in this hotel for a couple of months and our still working out their routines so not everything is up to standard as of yet.
I understand you didn’t find it funny when Fedi tickled your feet, but I’m sure he’s very sorry for disturbing you and thought it would make you laugh, he probably didn’t think it was an issue and he was maybe just trying to be friendly.
Now the issues of prostitution, the hotel has nothing to do with any act of prostitution, as its illegal. I’m finding it very hard to understand why guests in the hotel think these young girls are prostitutes, unless they have witnessed the act themselves. Also I don’t understand why you think the hotel has permanent rooms to facilitate these so called prostitutes, I’m 100% sure that they hotel staff would not being saying bizarre things like that to guests and how else would you know.
I’m upset to hear you didn’t enjoy your time over the new year as I worked very hard to make sure the European guests had enjoyable evening planned, unfortunately I wasn’t able to oversea the goings on as I had returned back to the UK over Christmas and New Year. As for the animation on New Years eve there was a problem with the entertainment that was supposed to be provided, the animation team were told last minute they had to provide the entertainment, I’m sure they tried their best on such sort notice. The bar was decorated with candles to make it more special for the occasion, whilst you were playing bingo the house lights were on also so it was quite how you’re describing it.
Thank you once again for your comments. They have helped me see what needs improving and I have taken onboard everything you have said and I’m going to work very hard to make sure these problems don’t occur any more.

Guest Relations Manager

#3 of 35 in Sousse
Tej Marhaba Hotel
Tej Marhaba Hotel
#15 of 35 in Sousse

Been to El Kantaoui Center? Share your experiences!