“Christmas Holiday”
Review of El Kantaoui Center

El Kantaoui Center
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed January 18, 2014

2nd time in this hotel and both times were enjoyable. The staff could not do enough for you and always with a smile. Christmas was the 1st time I ever went all inclusive and found by doing that you met more people because they were in the dining room or the bar. Evening time in the bar was fun and the entertainment team did their best to please everyone, I even won the bingo! The 1st room we were in was small but acceptable until there was a bad windy evening and we discovered a hole in the door that the wind whistled through, upon reporting it to reception they offered to move us immediately. Its a lovely hotel and lovely management so I hate to be negative but I think the cleaners could be a bit more thorough and the chief a bit more imaginative, that said I would still go back there.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Drogheda1
Quality22, Guest Relations Manager at El Kantaoui Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Thank you for writing us a review as they are very helpful when trying to improve our hotel for a more enjoyable stay for future guests. I’m happy to hear you found the hotel friendly and enjoyed spending you evenings in the bar, and congrats to you for winning the bingo!! I’m also happy that the reception staff was very helpful when it came to changing your room. And thank you for bringing to our attention the things you think need improving, this is very helpful to us, the points you brought up our common complaints about the hotel so we are currently trying to fix them.
Thank you once again and we hope to see you for a third time maybe.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We were staying in the golf residence but Booked into the vincci all inclusive as it was cheaper than paying local prices for beer and a lunch every day. First impressions were impressive as the lovely older lady who checked us in on reception was so friendly and could not do enough for us but alas from here it went down hill. The all inclusive bar was one tiny depressing room that regularly ran out of things. Ie my wife who likes a diet coke had to buy her own from the supermarket as hotel had ran out ( have they not the intelligence to send someone to local supermarket to buy a few bottles) food was fair quality and you could always find something to eat and the young lady who was our waitress was outstanding in her friendliness and helpfulness after returning from lunch one day we entered the all inclusive bar to be greeted with a funny smell which after working as a nightclub doorman I immediately identified as being the smoke from canabis resin this had to be coming from either one of the animation team or the bar man as apart from my wife and I all the other occupants of the bar were staff. Was also very angry that in the only bar in the hotel that had a tv I was forced to buy a drink just so I could watch the football match on tv. The only member of the animation staff I could tolerate was kiko who was one hell of a nice guy. As for bebo it was only the thought of being detained in a tunisian police cell that stopped me from doing serious harm to him after he grabbed me by the neck even after this I tried to get on with the guy but he is just a waste of tunisian blood. As for the prostitutes other people have mentioned this is true we were told by a local bar owner that they are managed by the Russian mafia.no doubt I will get a reply from heather brownlie animator or guest relations manager at the vincci or whatever else she calls herself this week denying all my claims. What ms brownlie fails to inform people is that she is the fiancé of one of the animation crew so it is in her interests to deny everything. Finally I conclude by saying if you only stay at one hotel in port el kanatoui make sure it is not the vincci

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank madhound

Firstly, I’m glad to hear the reception staff welcomed you and you found them friendly and helpful.

Secondly, we have now added Diet Coke to our bar order as it is a common disappointment to guests. Also it’s nice to hear the restaurant staff was friendly and helpful to you and your wife.
As you know I spend most evenings in the all inclusive bar and I’ve never came across cannabis, its illegal and it’s not worth the boys jobs if they were to get caught with it.

As for the bar with the TV, you aren’t forced to buy a drink if you are a guest of the hotel you can freely sit in their and watch the television free of charge, the only thing we don’t allow is that you bring your all inclusive drinks in.
I’m glad you got on well with Kiko as he a valued member of our team and is very good at his job. I think your comments about Bibo are a bit rude and extreme, I’m sure if he put his hands on you then he was just trying to be friendly and have a joke, as Bibo wouldn’t hurt a fly.

I think it’s ridiculous that you think the Russian Mafia has anything to do with the hotel as this is real life not a film. (Don’t believe everything you hear, especially from local barmen)
You were right to expect a reply from me as it is my job to reply to the reviews.

I would like to inform you I am NOT engaged and if I was I would prefer it if you didn’t broadcast my private life on this or any other website ever again as you don’t know me. It’s very rude.

I defend the hotel because it is my job.

Thank you for your very interesting review.

Guest relations Manger

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had a wonderful stay here. We arrived on Christmas day and were greeted with a cheery "Merry Christmas" by all the staff we met. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. The animation staff were always full of energy and always smiling.We had a great New Years eve too.. The port is just a 10 minute walk and is a very pretty place with lots of shops and restaurants. The restaurants in the hotel were excellent, the meal we had in "Romeo & Juliets" was delicious and very reasonably priced. We only had bed and breakfast which was ideal for us as we like to explore and experience local food and culture. The buffet breakfast served an excellent variety of food and the staff were lovely. One thing we did miss was not being able to get a pot of tea for 2, although we had taken some Yorkshire tea bags with us and could get several cups of hot water at breakfast it would have been nice to be able to sit in reception or around the hotel and have a pot of tea in the afternoon. English tea served in a teapot should be available...please add this to your beverage menu and available on "room service" or a kettle with cups in the rooms. Overall this hotel has lots to offer and we would recommend a stay here. The rooms were very clean and the bed extremely comfortable and huge!! could do with better pillows though...

Room Tip: we were in room 4108 which had a lounge, bedroom and bathroom.. it was well away from the noise of t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary Ruth J

Dear Mary,
Reading your review made me very happy, I’m so glad you enjoyed such a special day like Christmas at our hotel. As we all worked very hard on the run up to Christmas and New Year to make sure our guests had the best time. It’s lovely to hear that you enjoyed our rodeo and Joliette restaurant. Also I’m glad to hear you were interested in venturing out of the hotel to experience the local culture, as we are located in a lovely part of Tunisia.
Thank you for your suggestion about English tea I will work on making this available
Thankyou once again for your lovely review we hope to see you soon

Guest Relations Manger

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Where do I start with this hotel! I booked last minute because I didn't have time to apply for visas to my preferred destination but desperately needed a holiday.The actual hotel is of a reasonable standard for the money paid - I paid £541 for 1 week all inclusive with a single supplement so was never expecting world class.The rooms are clean and of a good standard - rooms serviced every day by the same regular cleaner who was excellent. There was a fridge in the room but this used the one and only plug socket in the room so I had to unplug so that I could use my hair straighteners and phone charger.The food in the all inclusive restaurant was well prepared and plentiful but very "samey" every day. Breakfast was definately best meal of the day. The staff in the restaurant were excellent. The all inclusive bar was a little disappointing.The actual bar is very uninviting and dull. The barman was excellent and always poured me a glass of red as soon as I walked in but other guests were complaining that the bar regularly ran out of spirits or beer. This wasn't an issue for me as I'm not a huge drinker. The animation team consisted of three young lads who were just having a ball!! It was like seeing the Chuckle Brothers on tour!! They mimed everything and the dance routines were like something from a primary school nativity! They tried to get everybody involved but they lacked experience and props. It was annoying that when I crashed out by the pool Fedi thought it funny to tickle my feet to wake me up - the only way I could guarantee proper rest was to go to bed! There is a night club on the premises that is open to all and stays open unitl 4am - Great for the youngsters but how the management can deny that prostitutes operate there is an absolute farce! They actually have rooms on permanent rent to facilitate their business and sit brazenly in the hotel reception. This is not a hotel that I would take children to.The hotel is known locally as a "dirty" hotel because of the activities of the hookers. The hotel is local to the beach and the marina and even out of season I found plenty to do. I booked a number of excursions through the rep but these were badly run. On one, I was picked up outside the hotel by a young guy and bundled into a local mini bus which was full of local Tunisian men and driven to the middle of nowhere for a 1/2 day excursion on quad bikes. There was just me and no other tourists which was a little scary. When the time was up on the quads I stood on the roadside with the guy whilst he tried to flag down a taxi. He lost patience waiting so stomped back to where we had dropped the quad, started it up and took me back to the hotel on the back of it with no helmets!! Absolutely no effort was made for the British guests in the hotel for New Year. Our meal for the New Years Eve evening consisted of soup, chicken and frozen chips and ice cream. This had to be eaten between 6pm and 7.30pm. The animation team put on a show (I use this term very loosely!) and did try to make an effort but they were so bad it was funny and I swear one guest wet herself laughing!! The entertainment also consisted on Bingo by Candlelight! The all inclusive bar shut promptly at midnight. I got the distinct impression that the hotel management want the money from the British but don't want the British as guests. I can't say enough nice things about the restaurant and bar staff, they were all superb and an absolute credit to the hotel - maybe the management could learn from them! All in all this hotel was an experience and one I would rather not repeat - This is not a hotel that welcomes the British but they will happily take your money.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Patricia H

Dear Patricia
Thank you for your extensive review, we really appreciate when a guest has taken the time to write a detailed review (good or bad) as it helps us identify what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong.
First of all I’m happy that your room was of a good standard and cleaned for you on a regular basis. There will have been more than one plug socket in the room as every room is supplied with at least two. We are aware that the food is repetitive, this is in the process of improvement, and we are glad the staff in the restaurant made dining enjoyable for you. I’m happy to hear you found the bar man “excellent” as he does work very hard.
Unfortunately the animation team didn’t entertain you as much as you would have liked. The animation team have only been together in this hotel for a couple of months and our still working out their routines so not everything is up to standard as of yet.
I understand you didn’t find it funny when Fedi tickled your feet, but I’m sure he’s very sorry for disturbing you and thought it would make you laugh, he probably didn’t think it was an issue and he was maybe just trying to be friendly.
Now the issues of prostitution, the hotel has nothing to do with any act of prostitution, as its illegal. I’m finding it very hard to understand why guests in the hotel think these young girls are prostitutes, unless they have witnessed the act themselves. Also I don’t understand why you think the hotel has permanent rooms to facilitate these so called prostitutes, I’m 100% sure that they hotel staff would not being saying bizarre things like that to guests and how else would you know.
I’m upset to hear you didn’t enjoy your time over the new year as I worked very hard to make sure the European guests had enjoyable evening planned, unfortunately I wasn’t able to oversea the goings on as I had returned back to the UK over Christmas and New Year. As for the animation on New Years eve there was a problem with the entertainment that was supposed to be provided, the animation team were told last minute they had to provide the entertainment, I’m sure they tried their best on such sort notice. The bar was decorated with candles to make it more special for the occasion, whilst you were playing bingo the house lights were on also so it was quite how you’re describing it.
Thank you once again for your comments. They have helped me see what needs improving and I have taken onboard everything you have said and I’m going to work very hard to make sure these problems don’t occur any more.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

The whole 1 week we was there was exhausting the prostitutes in the hotel was a big let down but if it wasn't for fedi bebo and kiko me and my husband wouldn't have come out of are room the was helpful and kept us entertained the drinks in the bar was watered down which was disappointing as we'll and the food was of poor quality over all not a very good holiday heather u should be proud of the animation team they have done you proud and the only thing we will miss.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank 1Angel1975

I was glad to hear the animation team helped you enjoy your holiday. I’m sorry you found the food and drink of poor quality, we are currently ongoing an investigation to try and solve the problems with the food and drinks as it seems to be a common problem with our guests. Thank you for making us aware of the things you did and didn’t enjoy on your holiday.
P.s. Thank you, I am extremely proud of the animation team, especially after reading your review

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Good hotel, very clean and tidy with plenty of space. Food is local style so be prepared to search if your fussy. Went in late October and hotel entertainment had shut down so nothing going on in the hotel, staff were excellent and room was cleaned every day. Beware the bloke selling boat trips that comes into the hotel, he sold 1 couple a trip on the "pirate" boat for 70 dinar when it was only 10 dinar each.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband for a week I have visited Tunisia many times and found this to be an average hotel here's what I thought of particular things:
Room: Room of good size, had an apartment type with living room, bedroom, bathroom and kitchenette. Spotlessly clean the maid came every day fresh sheets and towels, English channels on tv and nice pool view, HOWEVER major fault of the room was that it was located almost directly over the disco which has awful loud banging music till 4am which caused us several nights of no sleep!!!!!
Food: food was buffet style and very nice plenty of choice and warm. During our first three days lunch was served in the Romeo and Juliet restaurant this was ok but we only had two choices of starter, main and dessert so I preferred the buffet must say waiter service in the restaurant was fantastic
Facilities: indoor pool was nice although be prepared for a mass of kids on a weekend.....locals?????
Gym very well equipped but again allows in locals, spa closed for winter disappointing.
Bar: drinks watered down, barman never available, snack bar rubbish
Animation: WHAT ANIMATION????? Three people who couldn't give a damn sitting in the corner on mobiles, laptops and chain smoking
The only animation we saw was a poor attempt at bingo and the worst karaoke ever then a most poorly organised mix show of some sorts with dance routines out of sync.....AWFUL, hence we went out the rest of the time. The animation consisted of head FEDI (only one who actually tried) BIBO ( half hearted attempts) HEATHER: useless sang a couple of times badly and when asked to demonstrate part of a show refused!!!!!!
All in all a bit of a let down sadly

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Gemma,
We are glad to hear you were very comfterble in the room we provided you with and that you are more than happy with the maid service as this is one of our main proprieties, unfortunately you were located just above the night which I’m sorry to hear kept you awake, if you reported this to reception I’m sure a room change could have been offered to you.
I’m also sorry to hear your experience in the all inclusive bar wasn’t up to your standard, as you know it is currently out of season so staff are very thin on the ground, they try their best to manage their heavy work load and we will take on board that there needs to be an extra member of staff in the bar to serve the drinks.
As for the animation, it’s a shame you didn’t enjoy the animation as much as the other guests, if you saw them on their laptops I’m sure it will have been at the being of the night or after bingo, the reasons will have been that they were preparing music and putting the show in order. And the animation team do bingo depending on the amount of guests they have, when it’s not busy, like it is now, its hard to get a atmosphere going, so I totally disagree with you statement “poor attempt”
Thank you for taking your time to write a review we have taken on everything you have said and will try our best to resolve the problems that occurred during your experience here.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port El Kantaoui
#6 of 36 in Sousse
Seabel Alhambra Beach Golf & Spa
Seabel Alhambra Beach Golf & Spa
#4 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to El Kantaoui Center? Share your experiences!