“A Lovely Relaxing Holiday.”

Iberostar Diar El Andalous
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Spent a week in the Diar El Andalous.
Booked this as a low key, rest and relaxation holiday and that’s exactly what we got.
The hotel could definitely do with a renovation, but this didn’t detract from our holiday.

Food was excellent quality, large and varied choice and we never went hungry, only had a problem one night when the guy cooking the liver served it up raw in the middle.
The Vodka/Bacardi/Whisky were of the local variety and were “rough” but drinkable….just!!!!
The beer and red wine were fine.

Most public areas have access to wi-fi, we found the strongest wi-fi in the sports bar down the stairs.

Bring a few pound coins with you as there will be plenty of people looking for a small tip before you get the chance to get some Tunisian Dinars….£1 for airport porter if he grapples your suitcase from you….£1 for Thomas Cook bus driver to save him following you into the hotel for you to get change….£1 for the hotel porters……£1 for the guy who sets up your safe.
We tipped most of the hotel staff as the service they gave was excellent, always with a smile. We never felt the pool bar staff deserved a tip, not even when they asked!!!!!

The hotel will change sterling to dinars but not dinars to sterling, you will need to ask for 1 dinar coins. Dinars back to sterling has to be done at the airport.

We had a grand time chilling by the pool or beach all day and then “pigging out“ at night followed by a few drinks of the local rocket fuel.
This hotel doesn’t compare with the Caribbean all-inclusive experience, but after speaking to holiday makers from other Tunisian hotels I’m glad we chose the Diar El Andalous for our holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank J0CKY
Write a ReviewReviews (1,760)

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Me and my family , wife and 6yo boy, stayed on this hotel for 7 nights (eventually, because of the terrible flight schedule, turned up to be only 6) last week.
We arrived late in the night and we were welcomed by a male receptionist who gave us bottled water. While we filled the papers he told us, blinking an eye, that he made us a favor by providing a better room than one it was initially checked. He was expected to be tipped, and on the days that followed, I found that was the same for most of the employees there.
the most unpleasant experience was with the lifeguard on the beach, a magua-like man (as in The last of the Mohicans), which after i tipped him in the morning for getting the sunbeds where we wanted to stay and afterwards asking for a table to lay our drinks, he made some gestures that cannot be described and refused to bring it. Quite a nasty one.
The rooms: quite ok, large, nice bathrooms, sound insulated, though the furniture could be replaced. We had a garden view room but we saw later that even sea view rooms do not have a sea view, so donot ask for that.
The restaurant: nice, large, pool view, you can change a word with some waiters: ours, a late 50yo from iraq, very polite and friendly, did everything to make us feel nice. The food, tasty, plenty, but quite repetitive. it was ok from our point of view, and the red wine really good :D
Of course you dont expect pork, but there were another options as lamb, chicken, turkey, beef, fish.
The pool: nice, large, clean, with kids section. Here is another nice guy - the lifeguard of the pool area, always smiling and ready to help you. The barman of the pool bar: quite a guy :)
The animation team: great, they're doing all of their best to make the atmosphere.
The hotel is quite out of another activity zone, but you're near port el kantaoui, 20 mins of walking, either on the beach or on the road, a little harbor, charm full, with some shopping area. You can also take a cab to sousse (is about 10 km far, the driver is offering to wait for you, and you can pay it at the returning at the hotel, is no more than 20dt for the entire trip) and visit medina, the old city, or you can shop some souvenirs at soula center (fixed price).

Room Tip: Do not ask for a sea view room, all the rooms have more or less garden views, so...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Dan I
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I spent a week with my husband & 3 teenagers at the end of June. Due to flight delays we didn't arrive at the hotel til 4.40 a.m! Yet we were still warmly greeted and provided with rolls and bottles of water. We had two rooms beside each other close to reception which initially I thought would be noisy. Once in the spacious, clean and AIR-CONDITIONED rooms we couldn't hear anything outside and joy oh joy black-out curtains really help you sleep!
All of the staff from reception, restaurant, bar, animators to house-keeping were friendly and willing to help. Ramadan started 2 days after we arrived and it was incredible that despite the 40 degree heat and fasting (food and water!) from 3 a.m til 8 p.m. they were able to work and be hospitable!! I have to say I did feel a little guilty when eating and drinking around them.
The hotel is very spacious and clean with lovely pools and close to the beach. The food seemed varied but as a vegetarian I found it difficult to see which foods didn't contain meat, except for the obvious like salads etc. There is a lovely coffee shop for late breakfast (10 a.m) which suited us as we enjoy good coffee and croissants instead of a large meal in the morning. Wine & beer are on tap but don't expect the flavour of home, quantity rather than quality! The kids really enjoyed all the activities and I'm sure some of the holiday makers must have thought one of my sons was part of the team by the end of the hol he was so involved!
You can get as much bottled water from the bar as you like which is definitely a plus.
We had a bit of a medical emergency with my husband forgetting his meds but the doctor was there in 10 minutes, went out of his way to make an evening call out and together with the pharmacist managed to get meds for him from Tunis, a big thank you to them.
Overall we were very happy with our holiday and would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Tunisia :-)
p.s no mosquitoes in the hotel as the staff spray it with lemongrass every morning. :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Carol B
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Me & my boyfriend (both 20) stayed here from 18th June for 2 weeks and had a wonderful time.
Literally can't fault this hotel on anything..
Rooms are big & modern with flat screen tv's (with a great movie channel - mbc2), great air-con and massive beds!
The food was lovely.. obviously a bit repetitive after 2 weeks but that's to be expected, great selection and delicious (we went on a day trip and ate at a 5 star hotel one day, and the food wasn't a patch on the iberostar food).
All the staff are extremely helpful, kind and friendly - from the cleaners, to the receptionists, barmen and waiters. The lifeguards by the pool, always happily brought us mattresses for our sunloungers and the entertainment team were always very enthusiastic and friendly but not intrusive. I took part in the aqua-gym, which was fun.
There's not too much around the hotel but the beach is lovely and you can easily walk to the centre of port el Kantaoui, where there's shops, restaurants and a water park, which we went to one day (very cheap & a fun day out).

If your looking for a good all-inclusive hotel to have a chilled, relaxing holiday.. then this is the perfect hotel! Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Charlotte J
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This is a very truthful review and I am not a snob.
Me and my partner, 21 and 22 years of age.

Tunisia airport - AWFUL. Clean but so slow.
Arrival at the hotel. 11pm first person to approach was the owner of the jewellery shop, wanting to sell me something straight away.
Late night snack- dodgy ham roll in a stale bread
Check in to the reception and room- RUDE IS NOT THE WORK, they spoke to me like I was beneath them, they were not welcoming at all.

Rooms: 2star quality in the Uk.
Bathrooms are lovely, balcony was disgusting.
Our sheets are little brown marks all over it, but we needed to sleep and the cleaner didn't understand what we were trying to say, although she was lovely.

Pool area is clean and the mattress man is amazing. Very friendly and welcoming, the only person that every morning will say hello and ask how you are.

Food: breakfast average, lunch and dinner is awful.
The only positive I could say about the food is the dessert. That chef deserves a medal... Or that supermarket I should say.

Staff and animation team are average.
Staff I think are very rude and the only time they are polite is when you give them a tip, yet I think this is wrong!
Animation team... Jamaica is fab and a really nice guy.
Linda and Roberto (Italian) really nice people and great with the children around the pool.

Checkout: not even a 'did you enjoy your stay! I didn't but even if I stay at a travelogue in the uk I get that.

Overall I would not EVER stay at this hotel again. I'm not paying over £650 pp for a rude, horrible and unhealthy amount of people and food.

Thomas cook are also to blame for this... I felt that the service from thomas cook was appalling.
I wouldn't ever recommend this hotel or that travel agent. They had book 8 flights between 10am and 10:30 on our way home 4 flights were being called as 'final chance' including ours and we were at the back of the queue for passport control.
NEVER AGAIN

You can get such a nicer hotel and price for much better accommodation and food and entertainment. This was a complete let down for us and have completely made up our minds to never return to Tunisia.

Room Tip: Just don't buy one
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JLsmith06
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Diar El Andalous, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at our IBEROSTAR Diar El Andalous hotel. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

Moreover we sincerely regret reading your comments on our staff, at IBEROSTAR we strive to deliver an excellent and personalized service to all our guests and lay high value on our personnel being guest orientated and welcoming at all times.

For IBEROSTAR thorough cleaning is an absolute must and we have protocols to guarantee satisfying results regarding hygiene and cleanliness. For future occasions we strongly encourage you to contact our reception in case you find any shortage being to us of prime importance to offer total confidence in this area and we will be enchanted to adjust any situation which is not in accordance with our established standards; our cleaning staff in charge of the rooms however is on duty from 08.00 to 16.00, this is why we were surprised to read that you spoke to a cleaner at your arrival in the late evening.

Furthermore, we regret we were not able to meet your culinary wishes; our team of Chefs strives to cater for all diet requirements and please all palates by preparing a wide assortment of both local and international delights form products of prime quality, nevertheless we will forward your review to our head of department for revision, and of course if necessary, for improvement.

Our goal is to assure our guests feel comfortable and fully enjoy their visits. We are eager to regain your confidence during another occasion if you gave us that chance.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2014

To be honest dont know where to start when we arrived we where made to feel very welcome but then it went downhill the waiters kept trying to chat my partner up and at one point one of them snatched my partners phone off her and tried to add themselves on facebook I was not very happy about this as you can understand apart from that the food I would say was very average and I would say if you stayed for 2 weeks would become very repetitive the weather was very hot the pool was to a good standard but for my reasons above I shall not be returning to this hotel

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank David H

Dear David,

Thank you for reaching out to us through TripAdvisor to notify us of your concerns related to your recent holiday experience at our IBEROSTAR Diar El Andalous hotel; please accept our sincerest apologies if you experienced any inconsistency in our service. Your input is extremely important to us and we will be forwarding your remarks directly to the management team so they can make the appropriate adjustments in the areas you mentioned.

We sincerely regret reading that you felt uncomfortable during mealtimes due to the behavior of our waiting staff, we were however quite surprised that one of them had taken your partner’s cell phone to add them on social medias; it is clearly not reflective of our staff’s usual behavior and lament not being informed onsite; we will make sure to inform our Maître and Management team so as to guarantee our high standards of service at all times.

Thank you again for your visit and the courtesy of your time; Our main commitment is to offer the best vacation to our guests, based on the service provided by professionals and the delivery of high quality products, so we do hope we will have the opportunity to change your first impression about our service and turn it into a wonderful holiday experience with IBEROSTAR in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have just returned from a week at the Andalous with my family, (wife and three teenagers). Overall it was not that bad. True by western standards it is not 4star, but they do try. My kids enjoyed the animation team and got involved with everything . I found the evening entertainment amateurish and could have done with an adult theme every now and then, or perhaps a professional troup one in a while.
The other main gripe for many people will be the food. As a chef, i can appreciate how hard it is to do a weeks menu with some variation catering for european tastes and 5 or 6 hundred people, still i would have loved an hour in the kitchen just to show them some basic skillls, alot of the meat dishes consisted of meat bones and you had to hunt the scraps of meat, all the sauces were the same, badly seasoned and lacked flavour to some extent. I didn't starve, the coffee in the coffee room was nice as were the pan au chocolate, i had a salad for lunch all fresh ingredients, and for evening i could always find at least one thing I could eat. This is not a gourmets eating holiday hotel, but the food is edible and the cleanliness is apparent. We arrived very late 5am, the first thing the staff did was give us water and a sandwich, then the obligatory form, the place was constantly being cleaned , unobtrusively , and sprayed with citronella to keep the mosquitoes away, some of the staff are genuinely nice and enjoy their jobs like Lassad in the piano bar, or Ali in the main food hall, many are just smiling through a days work.
Overall dont expect too much and you wont be dissapointed .

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Ron C
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Diar El Andalous, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear Ron,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our IBEROSTAR Diar El Andalous hotel for your holidays in Tunisia and for the time you spent to review your overall holiday experience among us; at IBEROSTAR we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

We took good note of your comments related to our buffets and will pass them on to our head of department for information; the meat dishes you refer to are the tagines made from lamb, chicken, goat and sheep meat, that indeed have bones in it, however we always offer grilled veal or beef and fresh fish for those guests who prefer international dishes during mealtimes; on the other hand we are glad to read your satisfaction with our homemade pastries such as the mouthwatering pains au chocolat.

On the other hand we are very pleased to read that your kids enjoyed their time at the kid’s club where our professional staff organizes a wide array of activities for our younger guests to take full advantage of their stay, with enriching games and fun sport activities designed to expand kids’ horizons and create new friendships in a multicultural environment.

Moreover we thank you for pointing out the genuine kindness of our staff as well as the high levels of cleanliness of our rooms and public areas.

Thank you again for your visit and constructive critics; we would be absolutely delighted to accommodate you on your next visit to Tunisia and surprise you by fulfilling all your holiday wishes.

Kindest Regards,

El Mouradi Palace
#17 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
1 mi away
Hasdrubal Thalassa Hotel & Spa Port El Kantaoui
Hasdrubal Thalassa Hotel & Spa P...
#12 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Iberostar Diar El Andalous? Share your experiences!