“Cannot believe what I'm reading!”
Review of Hotel Abou Sofiane

Hotel Abou Sofiane
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Firstly, for what you pay you need to remember that is what you will get. If you want 5* then pay for it.
The hotel is lovely, I had a great time, yes it's not absolutely amazing and things could be improved for example the glass/cup situation, however patience is a virtue (which the Russians and Germans DO NOT have, got on my nerves). The staff are so helpful, if a little bit inappropriate at times, as I am a young girl and I got asked to go out for drinks with 3 different barmen which clearly I would not do. This made my holiday a little awkward when faced with these members of staff, but I have to mention the animation team especially Ali, Nino and Dario - awesome people and made me laugh on numorous occasions. But all the animation team do their best to entertain the guests, always friendly and there's always something going on. Without these I don't think the holiday would have been as good. But nevertheless, the hotel is clean, maids are good, food is great and there is quite a variety. Me or my mum that I went with, or anyone else that we spoke to, had not experienced any illness. I put this down to people drinking/using water to brush teeth etc, you have to be very careful.
All in all I had a wonderful time and I can't understand why people bad mouth this hotel so much, I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Sarah--xoxox
Write a ReviewReviews (1,744)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

just returned home from this hotel, poor service throughout our stay, no cups available for drinks if we managed to get them we kept them throughout the day, otherwise you went without. Getting served a drink was a nightmare with only one staff serving which meant having to wait. Food left in reception for guests early morning uncovered, coffee and water only lukewarm. Cleanliness of courtyard tables outside distgusting. No sunbeds unless you tipped the lifeguards. The only positive of this hotel was that the room cleaner did an excellent job.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank stephen r
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Having a delay on the flight ,I was already tired but as we were driving from the airport I got the impression it was very scruffy and the rubbish. We were given a room on the ground floor, which we had to walk threw at least 5 long dark depressing corridors to get to the room. It gave me the impression of a scary movie. No windows. When we got to the room... The bathroom was terrible. Cigarette burns on the toilet seat. A mouldy shower curtain. The shower was from the 80,s. the room had two beds and bunk beds next to them, with rusty brown fluffy bedding. To old and well used. We asked for a swap as we had no children, so no need for an over crowded room. We were moved to room 2021 which was much better. Still the one plug was bait tricky when charging stuff. The room was cleaned every day and towels and bedding replaced, but the bed gave me and hubby a bad back after a few days as the bed and pillows are so hard. The food was up and down, sloppy mash most days. Meat was called beef but at times I wondered what it was? Lamb and chucked were cooked but full of bones on some nights I had to keep taking bones out my mouth to put on the plate. Any one could have chocked. They tend to make the meat last so it its beef for dinner it's beef stew with peas and carrots, but IDE say it was the same meat left over from dinner revamped for tea. And trust me I'm not a fussy eater , but it was poor. The cakes were ok to look at but lacked any flavour, and mousse of 3flavour was on offer always. Yet never ice cream, if you wanted that you had to go to the pool bar. The Russians were so abrupt and rude to both staff and holiday makers, I had had enough of them by my last day. I was never greeted or sat to a table we just did it all ourselves, drinks, food the lot. How ever they worked very hard. Not enough cups, glasses and poor hygiene cleaning the plastic cups to drink from. There was no atmosphere in the hotel and no culture to be had. If you went out at night the smell of horse muck and sewerage was every few yards, not to mention rubbish every where and poor side walks. The harbour is the best part to it because there's nothing else. The sun was nice and in our days by the beach I met some lovely people hi Karen ... But all of us said the same..... We would never go back. We all made the most of it. It had some good points but sadly the bad points out weighed them. Shame I've stayed in some different hotels and different country's but I wouldn't waiste my hard earned money on Tunisia or that hotel again, there's far better.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Obviously a different hotel to lots of other people! Okay,we occasionally waited for glasses and cups but got them quickly.Food was plentiful and were never hungry.The staff are excellent,including;Acram,Salim,Kamel,Mahare,Fati,Haseem and Nabil as are the reception and managers.The room was recently refurbished and very clean.We enyoyed both a la cart meals especially the Italian! The beach bar staff are brilliant.Well done!We are booking again for next year! We had slight upset tum for short time but remember that Tunisia is in Africa with different climate.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dustymillar2013
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel is not the Ritz and people should realise that when booking. Rooms were a little outdated but clean and adequate. The hotel grounds were clean and well maintained. The food, choice and quality in my opinion was very good. I do agree with others that the queing for drinks isnt really acceptable,and for me the quality of drinks was poor (but remember you are in Tunisia). Lovely beach , and right on it, so no travelling required,, however we didnt use much because when we were there it was extremely windy (cool / cold).
The entertainment team really work hard but it does get rather repetative.
All in all it was value for money but i dont think I will be rushing back as there wasnt much to do away from the hotel.
If you are expecting the Ritz then choose somewhere else

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just to put queenie right it WAS NOT sewage but the land drain that runs into the sea.As for the staff issues favouring guests i did not experience this.She is right about the cups and glasses but if the guests did as asked and did not take them to the rooms maybe that might help I will post my review at a later date as we did not get home until 0500 hrs on the 22/09

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wedgeSolihull
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel is the worst i have ever stayed in first impressions it looks the part on entering the reception then the fun starts, The very rude man behind the desk needs some training in hospitality we had to wait for our room after a wait we were given our room and what a dump this was the smell was bad, mould in all areas of the room we could not take our clothes out of the cases to hang up because the wardrobe was that bad. The bed was rock hard with very shabby sheets on it on further inspection the stains on both sides of the bed were disgusting ???? urine/vomit/blood.The dressing table and chair had ground in dirt on them so did the headboard at this point i went back to reception to speak to the nice man who told me he did not have another room and to come back in a few days he said he had guests to see to i did explain that we were guests we had to demand another room we did get one and guess what this was just has bad has the first . We decided to sleep on top of the bed on our towels and speak to the T.C rep Sarah the next morning.Sarah did sort yet another room out for us after another long wait we still had to ask for the very grubby shower curtain to be changed other wise the room was ** star standards,Our food experience was met with sexual harassment from the staff in the restaurant trying to eat was sometimes impossible because these men just hassled you all the time, we did miss meals because of this,
Other things noted in this hotel
queues for watered down drinks all the time.
cigarette smoke.
unhygienic display of food in all areas.
very shabby areas round pool.
dirty tables in outside eating area.
very dark corridors to walk throw to get to rooms.
fire alarms going of all the time.
please think twice about booking this hotel avoid at all costs. I think T.C should seriously consider how this hotel is advertised because i think it is been miss sold and wrongly advertised in the brochures.

Room Tip: try another hotel