“Improvement needed”

Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Improvement needed”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Abou Sofiane last October our second visit to this hotel first visit August 2010. The beach is one of the best we have experienced on any holiday the rooms are dated but were led to believe they are currently being updated the food was awful and great improvement in this area is require.,Games room has equipment which took your money then did not work my husband complained to the manager who replied it was outside contractors who owned them and did nothing. The bar staff work hard but there are only two of them not enough for the amount of guest staying , one bar staff member would come over to the table in the reception with drinks for my husband but not our daughters or myself (rude) the animation team were very good and worked very hard throughout our daughters joined in most activities and spent hours playing cards with one following the evening shows he was very respectful as are they and have remained friends via the internet. We have booked to return this year due to refurbishment hopefully the food issue has been addressed as we don't want to lose 1/2 stone this year with any luck staffing levels have improved and that awful manager has been replaced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Happym00

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in 2005 the year after we got married, we arrived a the hotel at daft o'clock in the morning, after being delayed at the airport in Tunisia, we got to our room, no probs, basic but nice and clean, we got up for breakfast, the food was ok, we decided to stay by the hotel for the day, so we skipped lunch and has dinner at night instead, my wife noticed that the lady who was putting slices of meat on a tray had no gloves on and she also was putting slices of cheese out with not changing gloves or washing hands, (cross contamination). We got up and got some dinner my wife got this stuff it looked green, we think it was either lung or camel hump.
We went to Port el Kantaoui, what a great place its so beautiful, the marina places to eat it was right up our street could not fault it, we went back for the rest of the week we were their, we got a bush taxi in to sousse, the taxi driver was talking to us about Tony Blair and George Bush how they hate them and how they wanted to kill them, I could see my wife was getting worried, then all of the training I had as a soldier came back to me in my mind, I new what to do if anything went wrong, he dropped us off at the medina in sousse, we went for a walk around it was nice to see different things, a couple of hours later the taxi driver came back to pick us up and took us back to our hotel, my wife wanted to go home, I was on my guard for us both, I had not felt so switched on and alert since I was on active service in the army, it ruined our holiday, we will not be returning to Tunisia its a pity that one person had such an impact on our holiday, after all there had been two Gulf wars, I just hope this has not put anyone off going, but be careful when you are out there. This is still a Muslim country.

Room Tip: we went in 2005 not April 2012,
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank julmik g
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

i have been to this hotel about 8 times over a 2 year period and yes it does need a revamp , the staff try there best they are always very plesent and helpful . the food could be a bit better but you can always find something that you like . The rooms do need up graded but i found them clean and tidy every day , there could be a better choice of drink avalible and wine for your dinner but you have to remember you are in tunisia . I am going back in april for 2 weeks i cant wait to see the differance in the hotel and hope to see all the lovely staff again .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank doreen h
Northern Ireland
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was about to write my review when I read WelshLady60's review and concur with everything she writes it is so true to our experience. Disgusting place. How on earth Thomas Cook can justify giving it a 4* rating I've no idea - their customers pay up thinking they're going somewhere pleasant. On arrival (having had the experience at the airport of an army of 'porters' who descend upon travellers like locusts) we were so appalled by the room we were shown to that we didn't unpack and were eventually relocated to a different room (with a sea view but about 300 paces - we counted - from the lift to the room door). Pool area swarming with flies and there were stray cats everywhere. And the towels - ughhh! We had gone all inclusive for the first time ever - based on our experience here we'd never do that again! Coffee was disgusting dishwater. Alcohol was strange and seemingly alcohol-free and mixers or soft drinks horrible. Wine, when available was at least drinkable, but after one glass each with an awful dinner we were told they didn't have any more! Again, when we tried to get bottled water at the pool bar the next day we were told they'd run out of it. Never having been to Tunisia before we were starting to wonder if this dirty shabby hotel was the norm, but on our second night we went for a walk to escape the stinking smoke filled lounge and discovered that the hotel next door (the Riveria) was a much more pleasant place. We refused to stay at the Abou any longer and got transferred to the Riviera next day. (We had to sign a waiver to get the transfer.) It was much better but really wouldn't want to return to it either.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank wantinggoodquality
South Wales
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Oh Dear, where to start……

My partner and I booked this holiday and checked the reviews and they came across as good.

On arrival, we had to wait for nearly two hours for a room. We were shown to our room, which we checked out and swiftly went back to reception to complain the room was not fit for purpose. They did reallocate a different room. Which was much better that the first we were offered.

The rooms need updating they look tired.

We went to the pool area found ourselves a couple of sun beds, the pool area is not bad, there are a couple of life guards who walk around and offer you cushions for the sun beds. We went for a walk to the beach and visited the beach bar for a snack, this is where our concerns started. The staff behind the counter, make everything look like an effort, they don’t use the tongs provided to handle the food, they don’t use gloves. The plates are plastic and look as if they need a good wash. The same goes for the pool bar, again they handle the food. There were long queues for food again. .

My observations for the weeks stay
No tongs or gloves used for handling the food.
Lack of cutlery, crockery, (clean ones would be nice)
Breakfast time, again had to ask for saucers, and tea spoons.
Atmosphere in the dinning room is non- existent, tablecloths are not changed when they re-sit people. Tables are not set up with clean cutlery, table napkins, table cloths. Only on one occasion when we did visit the restaurant did a waiter make any effort. But we were told to tip them first, it worked that way!!! I refuse to tip when I had had not good service, some service would be nice. The tables were either not cleared after they had been used The queues for food is the worst I have every experienced. The lack of re stocking the empty food containers. The quality of the meals are sub- standard. To a point that after my partner having a one meal, he was taken poorly about an hour after was ill for two days. Therefore we gave eating in the restaurant a miss for the rest of the holiday. Discussing this with other guests it came to light a few people had been ill through the week. The restaurant needs the décor looked at, it is tired, paintwork flaking on the walls and ceilings, the tiles on the floor are cracked, and gives a terrible impression.

The bar in the reception area, is short staffed, the drinks are of poor quality. Lack of suitable glasses, lack of ice for the drinks. They actually ran out of drink on one night.

The reason why I have taken so long to publish a review was that we put a complaint in while we were on holidays and have written a full complaint when we came home, we have had two letters saying that they are investigating the issues raised but nothing since.

The rep I reported my issues to on holidays was just not interested she showed total disregard to my complaint and was not to be found for the rest of the week. Towards the end of the week we were given a new rep, he was excellent he listened, gave me the appropriate form, advised me to see him at a particular time the following day to give him the form for him to send into head office. The last two days we were there – there was a slight improvement but too little too late. On the plus side the animation team work hard, their fire show was good, although I am sure health and safety would have something to say. Would we return to this hotel, NO, although we would return to Tunisia, we had an excellent holiday there the year before.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank WelshLady60
Reviewed December 6, 2012

After reading the 2012 reviews we were a bit concerned about this hotel, and unfortunately we had great reason to be.
First impressions were grubby, smelly and smoke filled! Rude staff, got taken to our first room which was infested with flying ants, hairs and sand all over the floor and dirty bed sheets. Changed rooms, cleaner but again hairs in bathroom, broken shower, too much to list.
Throughout the week glasses were smashed and left by the pool area, flies all over the food, room was never cleaned properly, lots of people had the maids steal their money. One couple even had their suitcase broken into after reception requested their key back! Something very suspicious about this hotel and the standards are disgusting.
I wouldn't stay here again even if you paid me to! Horrible and very very disappointing.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank HannahGri
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

First time in Tunisia and wanted to go home in the first hour. Supposed to have been a birthday treat for my husband but turned into a nightmare. Luckily rep was great and moved us to another hotel which is very nice. A score of 1/5 was too good for this place :0(

• Stayed November 2012
#15 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Iberostar Diar El Andalous
Iberostar Diar El Andalous
#2 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Hotel Abou Sofiane? Share your experiences!