Tip tip tip – to receive a very poor service tip 1 dinar, 2 for poor and 3 dinar for just acceptable. Although some staff were very nice, some were downright rude and unpleasant – I could not believe it – this is the first holiday in 20 years that my wife and I truly felt as if we were an inconvenience and barely tolerated by some of the staff in this hotel. We understood that tipping was expected and always tip for good service. But if you dare not to tip because of a poor service at any point do not expect any type of reasonable service again until you do tip (well).
1. Room – did not get room we had booked – would have to pay extra if we wanted the rooms we originally booked. We insisted on the original rooms booked and finally got them no extra – some people we talked did pay more.
2. Can only exchange money at certain times – no dinars on arrival – porters wrestle bags from you and then informs you all currencies accepted as tips. Money exchange guy very unpleasant.
3. Mats for sun lounger 2 dinar per day plus expected tip – all other hotels in the port free if you are with hotel. Beach lounger free but tip expected – good service so a good tip for beech lounger guy.
4. 2 dinar for a bottle of water during meals – labels never on straight or stuck to bottles properly. I found this suspect but tasted ok.
5. Food good at times and just ok at other times - but recycled between lunch and evening meals.
6. Most things in hotel same if not more expensive than in UK. Chips at pool bar 6 dinar (£3) – just 1 Dinar in port. Large beer 7 dinar, vodka and coke 7 Dinar, Bottle beer 3.5 Dinar, Sandwich 7 Dinar. PLUS TIP for all.
7. Full board – table was never ready – not enough cutlery, cups napkins salt pepper etc – every meal every day for two weeks. Repeatedly complained with the result of poorer service – astonishing.
8. Entertainment very poor.
9. Walk 100 yards up beach to get water sports cheaper – marahaba palace again significantly more expensive that other hotels. Hotel also allows people to hassle you within the hotel complex to go on excursions. They can be very persistent and some become abusive if you repeatedly explain that you have booked with rep instead of them.
10. Massages very good. £20 - £30
11. Facilities not included -10 Dinar per person per day to use gym, 17 Dinar for 1 hour on tennis court, 12 Dinar spa – can be very expensive for a family as you can imagine. Facilities not widely used as you would expect.
12. Security staff at gate very nice.
13. Chamber maids very very good – tip personally at end of stay because if you leave money in room porters may return to your vacated room to collect. That was a suspicion a couple of the maids had anyway. We gave 20 dinar for a 2 week stay.
14. Waiters – some nice but a lot very grumpy and unhelpful – managers do not seem to manage and there is a constant passing of money between waiters and other waiters and some managers – don’t know what that’s about.
15. Air conditioning off end of September till June – Reception staff said it was because it was expensive and Tunisians can tolerate the heat – It’s our holiday for goodness sake. Very difficult to sleep in a room at 28 degrees plus.
We felt that there was little money making scams going on all over this hotel and this bred resentment between the staff. There was a number of occasions were staff argued openly in front of customers.
We came home today (30/09/09) and I had to write this review (1st ever) as the experience at this hotel was so far removed from any other hotel we’ve ever stayed in, I felt compelled to warn others. So Be Warned.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wake up across from the golf club, have a walk on the seafront, explore the paved alleys of Port El Kantaoui or simply unwind at the pool: Marhaba Palace is a dream place for an unforgettable stay. In the restaurant, a collection of great wines and local cuisine with the flavours of thyme and basil pamper the palate. This charming hotel, in the heart of the resort of port El Kantaoui, will seduce you with its personalised hospitality and efficient, discrete service.Welcome to MARHABA PALACE ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Marhaba Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Marhaba Palace
- Marhaba Palace Tunisia
- Tunisia Marhaba Palace
- Marhaba Palace Port El Kantaoui
- Marhaba Palace Hotel Tunisia