“Good hotel and the people who worked at this hotel made all the guests welcome.”

Marhaba Palace Hotel
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
leicester
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This hotel was really good and well organised at christmas and new years. Had a great reception area and lovely waiters who serve you well.. A variety of food everyday and a clean swimming pool. Lovely kind of enertainment but little for kids during the day.. Bar service was great and reception were always friendly. Had sucha good time and would definetly go back sometime soon!

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank cheekyaisha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Just came back from a fantastic week in jan. Will be returning in July as we enjoyed it so much. Hotel it so clean and staff are helpful. Animation team are friendly and get u involved but only if u want to, they are not pushy! Def worth going!?

• Stayed January 2014
5 Thank Vicky C
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Arrived for a weeks holiday on New Year's Day, flight was fine transfers straight forward and check in pretty straightforward. First visit to Tunisia with my boyfriend.
Room was lovely and clean we had a front garden view was lovely watching the sun set in the evenings. We never had any faults with out room,no missing belongings, no faults.
Drinks menu was slightly limited, but I'm only comparing to a previous hotel we'd went some months earlier so that's my own fault but still there was something for everyone, juice was unlimited self service too which is a bonus.
Food choice was great more so dinner for me personally. I only had breakfast 2 out of the week I stayed but my partner was up every morning but one. The omelette lady was great.The waiter we had at dinner was great and worth the 5 dinars a night for his service, our table lovely every night, with bread already on our table etc.
The staff are reasonably friendly however they were perked up with a tip, as would any normal human being so I'd not say that's a negative atall. Pool area was great nice and spacious, imagine the atmosphere in season is great, beach was lovely also.
Yeah the hassle wasn't great going down the marina and that but let's face it you get there wherever you go, I've found going to Spain it was worst so again I can't hold it against people for trying to make a living. The only negative for me was the boat trip we paid for was promised the world and got very little but again that's not the hotel at fault it's just a warning to go through Thomson and not the guy round the pool. The building work wasn't an issue for us personally either. The Irish bar across the road was great, good laugh, very busy and sold Becks if you weren't crazy on the local beer which I thought was lovely btw. The animation it's were lovely, made it special for everyone. Everytime I seen them they were chatting to guests, laughing, happy and smiley and were very interested in your lives and you felt they were your friends not just workers at the hotel. Hotel shop was great, and you don't get hassled in there either. Overall a nice week away, considering we paid 237 each with no stress, delays, never went hungry and escaped the awful weather for a week. Great little place. Would go again, just in season as I personally like it busy.

Room Tip: 4th floor, 428 was my room, great sunny balcony, great view and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SiobhanMF
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Marhaba Palace from 11th to 18th December, our 2nd visit since April same year.
Theres not much to add to my last review but, wow again!! We wished we booked that extra week now!!
Our thanks goes to all managers, our lovely maid, waiters, especially Mohammed(Morgan Freeman), Nebil our lunchtime waiter and all other waiters and the lovely young girl waitress too, you are all a credit to the Marhaba Palace,Kamel, our waiter from April who we did manage to see again on the last two nights of our stay, miss him so much!! Lovely and friendly man, looked after us so well, without tipping i must add, altho we did tip throughout our stay, All staff do NOT expect it. The welcome we had from Kamel on his first night back was wonderful, it was like meeting a long lost relative, and i would class him as part of my family. We will take him up on his offer of meeting his family when we go back, we will be truely honoured to.
Nabila the lovely lady who makes fantastic omelettes for my Fiance Kev, i am trying Nabila, honest i am!! Hee hee.
The Barmen, ohhhhh The dear Barmen, thank you Fathi ( sorry if ive spelt your name wrong) for using me as a guinea pig for cocktail tasting!!! Ohhhhh they were nice!! Funny how in the end my fav was just plain Vodka and tonic!! I will be back so get thinking about what drinks to make Fathi, heehee.
The lovely 'smiler' Mossi, the sunbed guy, such a great guy, he will brighten your day, everyday, also dear Adel, Momo and Mario, wow, a fabulous group of young men, had us in so much laughter, thank you so much guys, we miss you all.
We love this hotel so much, i am always telling people to broaden your horizons and travel and go somewhere different but now, there is nowhere on earth i would rather be than at the Marhaba Palace!! Its the staff that makes it such a fantastic place, well done to you all. The food?? Ohhhhh its wonderful. The drinks?? Ohhhh whoever says they are watered down are talking rubbish, trust me, they are not.
Miss you all very much, cant wait to see you all again. If ive missed anybody, im sorry but i didnt mean to, i now have a very BIG extended family at the Marhaba Palace and ive still not got used to all the names, heehee.
Look forward to seeing you all very soon!!

Julie and Kev (room 617)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Juliemoomoo
Bucks
Reviewed January 10, 2014

TRIP ADVISOR FOR MARHABA PALACE, PORT EL KANTAOUI, TUNISIA

25TH December, 2013 – 1st January, 2014

We went with First Choice/Thomson & flew out on Christmas Day. With all the problems in the North Terminal you would thing there would be signs & Staff to tell us where to go etc.? No!?

In Tunisia we were the last coach to leave the airport & with another delay at one of the drop offs we arrived at the Hotel at 1.50pm. (A good reason to invest in Taxi Transfers?) We were given wrist bands & told to get to the Dining Room as they were closing at 2pm and then come back to check in. With hardly anything left to eat (& that was cold), we were told we could only have water from a dispenser & the lights were turned off as soon as we sat down. This was CHRISTMAS DAY lunch??? A Waitress took pity on us & got us a drink each but was worried in case someone told her off.

They seem to have a very daft system for the Dining Room (you have lunch & dinner here but breakfast is at a different location). You are given a card to hand in at the restaurant & this is supposed to reserve you a table. As we understand it when the Hotel is in high season there are 2 sittings but as we were in low season we could eat when we wanted too. BUT although they made a fuss that you sit at your table for dinner they didn’t at lunch time. Infact quite the opposite. When we tried to sit at our table one lunchtime we were abruptly told to sit in the darkest part of the restaurant. The other VERY ANNOYING activity is that most of the Waiters ‘save’ tables by putting drinks on the tables (especially ones in the best places). Sometimes no-one actually used these tables. I asked to sit by a window & was told ‘full up’; so I said I’d sit at ‘our’ table but no that wasn’t allowed either; when I became annoyed the Waiter threw his arms in the air & said ‘Mamma Mia’!!!?? Several times we came in, ate 3 courses, sat & talked to people then left without anyone coming to the ‘full’ tables. And yes we did tip the Waiters. It seemed that the Hotel wasn’t full and to make it appear so Staff had their extended families come to stay & they all wanted to sit together at lunchtime & ‘our’ table was in the middle of it?

I have to say that some of the Reviews after we’d booked this holiday were rather worrying. Yes a few of the Staff can be abrupt but they don’t mean to be as we found when we made them laugh. It just seems to be their way? But I have to say that other than the odd one we found them all to be very friendly & helpful. Certainly tipping helps but doesn’t that work all over the world UK included? After all 1 Dinar or 2 is all it takes 40p/80p.

The food is of very good quality but not as much as some 4* Hotels. Infact I wouldn’t say this was a 4* Hotel more a good 3* but then the price reflects this surely? There no niceties like shampoo, conditioners, tissues etc (soap for basin & shower in liquid dispensers).

We had a very nice cleaner & nothing was too much trouble for her. We used the Safety Deposit box in Reception (£14 a week) but feel that it would be better to have free safes in the rooms these days with iPads, phones etc.?

The weather although sunny mostly was with a cold wind. Glad we’d taken coats (not something we usually do!) We did manage to get on the beach & round the pool a couple of times BUT neither the Pool or Beach Restaurants or the Beach Toilets were open. Fair enough as it was low season but we hadn’t been told this prior to booking? If you wanted a drink either at the pool or beach you had a long walk into the hotel to get one. I saw a waiter with a tray so asked him for a couple of drinks but was told to get them myself as he was only collecting glasses!!

Christmas Eve & New Years Eve are the main celebrations and included in the All Inclusive package. Nothing special for Christmas Day Brits. The meal on NYE was several courses long & set (no choices except vegetarian which was not pointed out to our friends but when requested it was with lack of grace that the courses were brought usually after we’d all eaten our courses) The first 3 courses were fish so if you don’t like fish (lots by the sight of all the full plates going back into the kitchen) you were stumped. The drinks were not free flowing & although tipped each time the Waiter had to be asked every time for a refill. If you wanted anything other than wine, beer or soft drinks you had to go into the Hotel bar to get your drinks.

The Spa is excellent and well worth a visit especially if you do a package. My husband didn't want to do anything but got free use of the swimming pool, steam room & sauna while I was ahving my treatments

They ARE building a large Hotel next door. We weren’t at all disturbed either in our room (Sea View), by the pool or on the beach. Have heard an awful lot worse especially in Tenerife!

This area of Tunisia prides itself on being more Mediterranean than North African. We were disappointed that most of the shops in Port El Kantoui were closed in the evenings as we had hoped to walk after dinner & visit local shops.

Although it might sound like a load of negatives from us we really liked the Hotel and would possibly visit again but at another time of the year when both the Hotel & locals are in full swing. You pay for what you get?

Room Tip: Sea view (also pool view) worth the extra. Loved waking up to the sound of waves (we left our patio...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TriciaBucks
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have returned from this hotel today. We took our nearly 2 year old daughter and our parents came along. We were told buy our travel company a week before that we had been changed to this hotel after booking another apparently the other hotel didn't have enough customers so they desided to close down early. So we arrived at this hotel not really knowing as we always book for same hotel each year.
The staff at reception were friendly, we arrived a little later after dinner but the hotel had food left in our room for us. The first night was a good one the bar staff were ok ish... But remember these people do not earn a lot of money so if they give a good service they like a tip .. 2 denar is 70p ish... If you receive good service in England you are also expected to give a tip but of much more so come on guys get a grip,! We learnt quick if u tip early they give you an amazing service....
Dinner was good not loads of selection but you wouldn't go hungry same for food in evening. Drinks soft and alcohol were fine. But after midnight you have to pay bit rubbish but that's the rules
Rooms were clean I can honestly say I'm arsey I like good rooms and we really did have a really clean no repairs done spotless room tv on wall remote shower/bath clean toilet spotless
Maids came in everyday and cleaned.
Animation team I would like to say wow Mario and Momo well done guys for keeping up sprits when you have so much to fight with when people complain. They were attentive nice generally really good guys. They looked after us and our daughter Always took the time to have a quick chat even when they were busy. They don't have much to work with but these guys need some appraisal they were highlight of the holiday. If we needed anything they were there to help. Thank u both!!
I don't like the fact people slate this place... Tunisia is known for haggling so if you don't want "crap" as someone put on here don't go. It's a calm place white sands clear water nice people in the hotel yes when you go outside they will ask you to go in the shops yes it gets on your nerves but this is how they make the little money that they do. Just say no. Simple.
This is a nice hotel, clean, pool clean indoor pool clean room that me and the other room our parents were in was clean and no repairs. Walk to the beautiful beach two mins.
What more could you want. To be fair the price we paid was cheap. We got good service great entertainment and will go back. Ignore horrible comments if you don't like the rooms ask to move simple.

Room Tip: We stayed on garden view nice view but sunshine all day long. Sea view is absolutely beautiful but...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank stefanaswain
ayrshire
Reviewed January 8, 2014

very grand building inside some updating done needs more . roomsok comfy bed toilets and bathroom needs updating. location of hotel good . food ok all i can say not great choice however what there hot and well cooked.entertainment at night dire.charged one night to watch drag show this was sold us being great was not two very poor drag queens miming to poor quality music.have visited tunisia for over 12years including this hotel sorry to say seems to be a general decline seems quieter in resort shops closed and more run down also feel shop vendors more aggressive in the port area. if your looking for a very quiet restful holiday place to go dont expect too much

Room Tip: sea view best front of hotel looking at a road
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
#13 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Iberostar Diar El Andalous
Iberostar Diar El Andalous
#2 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Marhaba Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!