“Great except for tipping”

Marhaba Palace Hotel
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Weston-s-Mare
“Great except for tipping”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here from 10th to 17th October. Fabulous hotel, all inclusive could not be faulted, however the tipping culture in Tunisia needs to be sorted. I know the wages are not great, but this is for the staff to sort out with management, not expect handouts from the holidaymaker. On our transfer to the hotel we were told by the Thomas Cook rep about the tipping so were more or less told to tip the bus driver. On arriving at the hotel a man got our cases off and was tipped, then TWO porters took our cases to our room and waited for a tip each. You then have to tip your breakfast waiter to get service, and your evening waiter as well. We went on two trips and again was asked to tip the driver and the rep. I know some people that go all inclusive take very little money with them. I'm afraid you need to if you go to Tunisia. Will go back to Turkey next year. A much nicer experiance altogether.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lesbev

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Polish first
Kirkham, Lancashire, England
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We travelled with Thomson and stayed for two weeks from 12 to 26 September on an All Inclusive basis.

We really enjoyed our holiday, the hotel is by no means perfect and it needs to be recognised that you are in North Africa, not mainland Europe. As someone said in a previous review, if you want to find something to complain about in the hotel then you will. If you take it all as it comes and tolerate the odd differences in culture you’ll have a great time.

AIRPORT & TRANSFER

On the aircraft on the way over they get you to fill out some green Immigration cards. These ask questions about date and place of birth, passport number, and reason for visit etc. You have to fill out both the top and bottom sections. The top section gets retained by airport security on arrival. The bottom section needs to be kept safely with your passport and is given to airport security when you leave the country.

Enfidha airport is very modern, but in the middle of nowhere. My wife is disabled and found the staff at the airport to be excellent, both arriving and departing; an assistant was on hand immediately the plane landed with a wheelchair, and helped us through security, luggage reclaim and pushed my wife outside the terminal to the taxi. A pleasant and encouraging experience, both ways, can’t praise them enough.

We pre-booked a taxi transfer and it took approx 40 minutes to get to hotel, because the driver took the rural roads rather than pay for the toll road, hence it took so long. We only found out he had taken the long way round when the taxi back to the airport took the toll road and got there in approx 15 minutes.

HOTEL ROOM

When you arrive at the hotel you need to fill out another form (this one is white) giving similar details to the green form. Apparently you need to fill out one of these forms for every place that you stay the night while in Tunisia, so if you go on a trip that involves an overnight stay you will also have to fill out another form.

Our room wasn’t available when we first arrived, but it was ready within 30 minutes. Initially they showed us to a room that overlooked the new hotel that is being built. I complained to reception that I had paid for a Sea View room and I couldn’t see the sea so they offered me another room on the other side of the hotel. We were happy with this room (see photos). Our room was nice and large compared to some I have stayed in and had comfortable twin beds which were pushed together. There was a balcony, plenty of storage including a large wardrobe, drawers and a fridge (see photos) handy for storing our free all inclusive bottles of water.
There was a separate toilet, and a separate bathroom with bath/ overhead shower. There are rooms with a walk in shower for disabled people who cannot manage the bath, but you need to ask for these when booking your holiday with your travel company. The water pressure was good, with plenty of hot water at all times of day.

As with most foreign hotels you needed to put the key fob into a switch on the wall so that all electrical items will come on (air con, lights etc.). The air conditioning worked well, but it won’t come on unless the key fob is in the special switch and the balcony door is shut. The hotel room was kept immaculately clean, the beds were made, and towels changed, every day. There were some slight niggles with missing curtain tie fixtures, but it didn’t affect our holiday (these are the types of minor things that some people could complain about).

HOTEL FACILITIES

In terms of facilities available, this is one of the best hotels I’ve stayed in. The hotel lobby looks very grand with plenty of seating. Behind the reception desk are safety deposit boxes that cost 2 Dinar (80p) per day to hire. Next to main reception is the cashier’s counter where you could pay for certain facilities (e.g. beach towels) and change money. Just off the lobby is a cyber café where the Thomson and Thomas Cook reps have their desks. There is also a single computer that can be used to access the internet for free.

There are three bars, the main bar known as the blue bar, due to its decoration (smoking allowed, piano player in the evening); the American bar (non smoking, with TVs showing sports channels) and fairly quiet; the Moorish Café where you can get speciality teas and smoke water pipes (with apple flavoured tobacco). The main bar is open from early in the morning, the other bars open later in the day, but the American bar is open late into the night / early morning. There is also a bar outside, near the swimming pool, and another one on the beach front; both serve drinks and the bar by the beach also serves snacks. There are toilets by both bars.

There is also a resident hairdresser and a small shop which sells a variety of goods including postcards, stamps, toiletries and gifts. The staff in both of these are very friendly and helpful.

In addition to the breakfast room and the main dining room (for lunch and dinner), there is also an a la carte restaurant. On all inclusive you get one a la carte meal per person included, per stay; we did not have a meal at this restaurant as we found the excellent food in the main restaurant of good quality and variation.

There are two outdoor pools (one of them for children). There is a beautiful indoor pool, next to the Hairdressers and I used this as my private pool during the holiday. Apart from when my wife joined me for a swim one day I had the whole pool to myself. It has a glass roof, so you still get the sunshine and it is really good if you like to swim, rather than just splash about in the busy outdoor pool.

There is a snack bar by the pool which serves crepes. There are sun loungers available around the pool and also on the beach. There are water sports available for hire including: para sailing, banana boat & jet ski. I had a go on the jet ski for 40 dinar (£16). Make sure that you stay within the area marked by red buoys and keep an eye on the beach for the man waving a red flag which signals that you have to come back in.

At the front of the hotel, towards the right hand side, there is a fitness centre with tennis courts, crazy golf, gym and spa. The treatment rooms are very sparse, and treatments are timed exactly. Therapists are trained, pleasant, but massage here is not up to European standard, however it is relaxing, so if you don’t set your sights too high you will enjoy it, especially as the price is very cheap.

CHANGING MONEY

The Tunisian dinar is a closed currency which means you cannot change any money before you arrive in the country, you are also not allowed to take any dinars out of the country. The exchange rate is fixed so there is no point in trying to shop around at different banks to get the best rate. It therefore makes sense to change any British sterling into dinars at the hotel cashier counter next to main reception. The cashier counter is only open from 9:00 to 12:00pm then from 5:00pm until 8:00pm. When the cashier is closed you can change small amounts (up to approx £40) at the hotel reception (although you won’t get a receipt).

There is often a different fixed rate each day and the rates for each major currency are displayed on a digital sign behind the cashier counter (even when the counter is closed). While we were there it varied between 2.482, 2.972 and 2.5 dinar to the pound. The rate didn’t vary by much and it meant that a dinar is approximately 40 pence (5 dinar = £2; 10 dinar = £4; 20 dinar = £8).

I suggest that when you want to change money you take a calculator or use the one on your mobile phone to check how much you will get. Both the cashier and reception seem to round down the amount you are due to get, sometimes by a few dinars. On one occasion I was expecting 99 dinar in exchange for £40 and the reception gave me 96 dinar. After this I always checked the calculation myself and queried it when it was short.

FOOD

My wife and I thought the food was excellent with plenty of choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Snacks were also available at certain times during the day from various bars.

Breakfast consisted of tea, coffee and fruit juice, cereals, toast, croissants, chocolatines and other pastries and cakes, fresh fruit, cold meats, cheese, omelettes and crepe pancakes freshly made to order, freshly made doughnuts, and cooked breakfast i.e. sausages, eggs, etc.

Lunch included soup, a huge selection of cold meats and salad, a good choice of hot meals including rice, potatoes (mash, chips, sliced and sometimes baked), vegetables (aubergines, tomatoes, cauliflower, carrots, spinach) meats including chicken, beef, lamb, liver and sometimes pork, cooked fish. There was also a single choice of pizza slices. For dessert you could have ice cream (vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, lemon, orange, pistachio), fresh fruit (melon, apples, pears, plums), pastries etc.

Dinner was similar to lunch, but they had a choice of two soups, pizza made to order and a separate counter for cooked joints of meat (lamb, beef, chicken, turkey and sometimes pork). They also had a choice of two special Tunisian dishes (these were very tasty). There was plenty of variety for carnivores and vegetarians. Desserts were excellent.

We never found ourselves either missing British food or struggling to choose something to eat (sometimes the struggle was in deciding which of the many choices to actually have that night). The choice changed each night, but there were always a few staples (like rice and potatoes) that were available every day. We stayed for two weeks and one night my wife had a delicious seafood stew she had to wait until the last night we were there, until it was served again.

STAFF

We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful (regardless of whether we tipped them or not). If you asked for something they were always keen to do what they could to help. There were a minority who were perhaps less helpful, but you get this everywhere you go. As with any holiday, it takes a bit of time for the guests to work what is and isn’t available at each meal. In the first few days the staff can seem a bit off when you ask them what to them seems an obvious question. For example, at lunch on our first day I went up to get a drink of beer from a self-service counter. I asked a waiter where you get the glasses from and he said I should have brought my own. It was only when I walked back to our table that I saw we had already been provided with glasses (I hadn’t noticed in my haste to get a drink). I initially thought the waiter was a bit short with me, but to him the answer seemed obvious.

The waiters at all meal times were very friendly and helpful to my wife, pulling out her seat for her, taking her plate for her and placing it on the table and enquiring after her health every day. The cleaners, reception staff, bar staff and door men, were all friendly, helpful and couldn’t be faulted.

TIPPING

Imagine you work 14 hours a day, six days a week for a wage of 60p per hour. The people who come to stay in the hotel where you work earn at least 10 times what you earn and their average wage is 20 times what you earn. Would you expect a tip from these hotel guests, who compared to you, seem like millionaires?

I was not aware of any staff who demanded tips or who gave us poorer service because we did not tip them at the time. For dinner you are allocated a waiter for your table who will fetch you drinks and clear your plates. We gave our waiter 10 dinar (£4) on the first night and then a further 10 dinar the following week. You’re not allocated a specific waiter for breakfast or lunch so we just gave whichever waiter served us with drinks one dinar. We also tipped the barmen at night with one dinar when they brought us a drink or we fetched some from the bar.

We gave the maid who cleaned our room 20 dinar on the second or third day and we gave the stand-in maid one dinar when our usual maid had her one rest day per week.

I also gave out some money to the security staff at the main gate, and on the beach, who check who’s going in or out of the hotel grounds; and also to some of the gardening staff for keeping the grounds neat and tidy.

I also gave one dinar to the cashier when I changed money; especially because he would make sure I got small denomination coins and notes rather than just getting 20 dinar notes. We also gave taxi drivers one dinar (depending on the length of the journey).

I don’t know if I tipped well or badly, but any extra money was always gratefully received and I saw waiters being equally helpful to other people who didn’t tip them.

ALL INCLUSIVE

I have suggested to Thomson that they issue out a brief leaflet to explain what is and isn’t available to All Inclusive (AI) guests. We didn’t see much difference in the service we received as AI guests, but again it took a bit of time to work out what we could and couldn’t get.

As AI guests you can get fruit juices (not fresh juice, but like orange squash) from the main bar, the pool or beach bar. Juices available are orange, lemon, strawberry, pineapple. Large bottles of water are available from the main bar for you to take to your room, if you ask. You can also get hot drinks from a self-service machine at the main and pool bar of tea, coffee, espresso, cappuccino, hot chocolate. You can also have local beer, spirits and non alcoholic and alcoholic cocktails. Outside the American bar there was a list of what drinks you could have (see photo).

OUT & ABOUT

Five minutes’ walk from the hotel is the marina which features some shops (ranging from a small supermarket, a pharmacy and various gift shops). You will also find a variety of boats ranging from local fishing boats, sightseeing boats (glass bottomed, submarine type, catamarans, pirate boats), right up to luxury yachts. The marina makes for an easy morning or afternoon away from the hotel. There are also various cafes and restaurants. You can walk to the marina either along the road or along the beach. I went out early one morning to take some photos of the sunrise over the harbour. I felt fairly safe since there quite a few people about getting ready for early morning fishing.

Immediately outside the hotel is a taxi rank where you can pick up a local yellow taxi to take you to Sousse or further afield. They don’t use a meter; prices are open to negotiation before you start your journey, but it shouldn’t cost more than 10 dinar (£4) to get to Sousse.

Sousse is the nearest big town with some fixed price shops (like the excellent Soula Center) and the bazaar in case you feel like haggling. It makes sense to look round the fixed price Soula Center (medium sized department store) first before going to haggle since you’ll have some idea of prices. The Soula Center has a number of floors each specialising in different goods. They sell gifts on the ground floor, clothes and leather goods on the first floor, carpets on the second floor. They had a good selection of products, far more choice than in the local shops in Port El Kantaoui.

The Soula Center is a starting point for shopping and sightseeing in Sousse. It’s right next to the Ribat (a type of castle - costs 5 dinar (£2) entry plus one dinar to take photos). You can climb to the top of the castle walls and then to the top of the tower for views across Sousse. The mosque is also next to the Soula Center. It’s possible to visit the inner courtyard (4 dinar entry) and from the inner courtyard you can see inside the mosque, but you are not allowed to enter. Ladies will need to cover their heads (a scarf is provided) even if they are only entering the courtyard; but shorts are not allowed, so please make sure ladies wear long trousers or long skirts.

We also went into the bazaar, that's an experience. I went one day by myself and found it OK because I could move fairly quickly and avoid being enticed into shops. The few shops I looked in the owners were polite and not pushy. When I went back with my wife it was a bit trickier. You are naturally slower as a couple and we ended up slightly lost and were discussing which way to go next when a polite man showed us a way back to the bazaar through some side streets. Of course nothing comes for free so he asked for a few Dinars for showing us the way.

I had seen some leather belts with automatic buckles in a shop in Port El Kantaoui for 15 Dinar (£6) each so when I found some in a little shop in the bazaar I thought I'd see what kind of bargain I could get when buying two of them. The starting price from the shop owner was 85 Dinar (£34). When I said I could buy them for 15 dinar each in a fixed price shop, he used the usual argument that they couldn't be the same quality, but his weren't that good. I said I wouldn't pay more than 20 dinar for two. He said "special price because I like you 40 Dinar". Eventually we agreed on 25 dinar and then he still asked my wife for an extra 2 Dinar because he said he would be in trouble with his boss for selling two belts so cheap. So, in the end, I had all the hassle of haggling and after paying our "helpful guide" I ended up paying the same overall as I would have in a fixed price shop. I'm sure there are bargains to be had in the bazaar but you need your wits about you and the approx local price. The rep in the hotel told a story of a young girl who paid 150 Dinar (£60) for a gold necklace that would have cost £15 pounds at most in the UK.

Bargains can be had though, and my wife had a great one from a shop selling gifts and leather goods near the marina just down from the hotel. A large Real Leather handbag, which would have cost £50 in England, was bought for the equivalent of £18 – my wife could have haggled the price down further, but as she said, the people have to make a profit and live; she had got a bargain, he got a reasonable price, they were both happy.

We came back to Sousse on a further day and visited the Archaeological Museum which is based in the old Kasbah (fortified town). Entry fee 5 dinar. The museum contains a wonderful collection of Roman mosaics and statues found in the local area. I believe the museum only opened in March 2012 and they are still developing it. When we went we could see stairs that would take us to the top of the walls but these were closed off (presumably until they build some barriers). Even so they had a small terrace with panoramic views across Sousse harbour.

We went on one organised trip through Thomson. This was the two day “Sahara Experience”. It was very good, but we travelled approximately 700 miles over two days by coach. On the first day we travelled to the Roman coliseum at El Djem (only had 30 minutes to look round, but very impressive). We travelled from the fairly green north of the country to the arid south and after quite a few stops along the way we ended up at Matmata with the troglodyte houses in the mountains. We saw one of the sets left behind from when they filmed Star Wars. They have turned what was Luke Skywalker’s house into a restaurant where we had lunch.

We also got to visit a troglodyte family and look around their house, (I tipped them 5 dinars, a tip is expected here as the people are opening their house to you, it is not a business venture). At the end of the day we rode on a camel (could also take horse and cart) to the edge of the Sahara desert.
Then we took a one hour “Land Train” trip further into the Sahara desert to spend the night in individual tents (one per couple / small family) at a special enclosed campsite.

The tents were equipped with single beds, which were actually very comfortable, and electric lights. The downside is that the canvas of the tents are thin so you can hear everything that anyone does or says – not conducive for romantic trysts!

The desert sky was so dark we could see “a million stars” and could easily see the “Milky Way”. However, the lights were all turned off at about 11.30/midnight, which made it difficult to find your way to the toilet block, and once there you couldn’t see to find the toilet light switch, so had to use the loo in the dark! It also gets cold in the night, but the blankets provided are fine.

On the second day we travelled across vast salt flats and left the coach to travel in Toyota Land Cruisers up steep roads leading to the Atlas Mountains to visit an oasis where they filmed “The English Patient”. Finally there was a long coach drive back to the various hotels. We left our hotel at 7:20am on the Saturday morning and returned on Sunday evening at approx 6:30pm in time for dinner. It was a very tiring trip, but well worth it to see so much of the country.

The trip was a once in a lifetime opportunity, but really not recommended for disabled people; my wife has mobility and walking difficulties and uses a stick. She specifically asked the holiday rep if the trip would be ok for her, and he said yes. The long journeys, short and infrequent toilet breaks (which were sometimes only very basic facilities) were a hardship that resulted in lots of pain, little sleep and much grinning and bearing it. She is glad she did it, but she wouldn’t do it again. So if you are, or are travelling with a disabled person (even if the impairment is only slight) think carefully about going on this trip.

All in all, everything taken into account, I would thoroughly recommend Tunisia as a holiday destination, and would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
23 Thank TimmyTot
Castleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Just returned back (14th October) from another excellent holiday at the Marhaba Palace.
We had 2 weeks of glorious sunshine, with the Tunisian people telling us that it had not been as hot as this for at least the last 5/6 years.

This was the 4th time that we have stayed at this hotel in the last 3 years, and certainly won't be our last.
Yes the surrounding area is undergoing major overall/changes but please dont let this put you off.
Apparently the new hotel next door is to be a "5 star" on par with the "Movenpick" in Sousse, it's still got a long way to go and won't be completed until the Spring of 2014.

Many of the waiters recognised us from our previous stays and again were only to happy and helpful in making our holiday enjoyable.
We were on "Full Board" and a few tips here and there went a long way and means a lot to these people, we will still tip the waiters next year even when we are "All Inclusive" as we had already booked a further 2 holidays for next year before we had this holiday.
We are also looking to book for the same time (October) next year.

The hotel does look a little bit dated in certain areas, but the management are trying there best to keep on top of things, but like everything, it takes time and money.
We left with the Marhaba staff starting to clean up and paint the outside walls of the hotel around the pool area.

The rooms were kept spotlessly clean with the linen and towels changed regularly/daily.

The food was more than adequate, with there always being something to eat even for the most fusiest of eaters.

If we have one complaint, then it's the "English Channels" on the tv.
Now we know that you don't go on holiday to watch the soaps, but when you only get "CNN News" and "BBC World News", it can become very boring, (the other 2 channels in English have Arabic subtitles running across the bottom).
The hotel always seem to have more British holiday makers in than any other nationality, but the Germans, French, and Italiens all get better programmes to watch ???.

Now, a note for anyone going to the Marhaba Palace within the next 3/4 months.
The "Beach Bar/Restaraunt" is to be totally demolished in November, making way for a larger and better facility for next summer. This is not such a major issue as this is closed anyway over the winter months, but it may stop you getting to the beach if you want a walk along the beach front.
The "Pool Bar" is to be partly demolished/refurbished over the same period.
The "Main Bar" in the hotel is to undergo a total refurbishment also.
Finally, if there is enough/sufficient time, apparently the "Swimming Pool" is to undergo changes.
This is really needed as you cannot really gain access to the pool when they play "Water Polo" etc as this is done in the small/shallow area of the pool.
We are lead to beleive that they maybe making it bigger.

So keep up the good work, Marhaba, and we look forward to next year.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking entrance/front garden area. (Very Quite) Rooms numbers 701 to 719 excluding 7...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank baz-elaine
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My experience of this hotel has been very pleasant. There is only one English rep, the whole animation team are friendly locals who speak brilliant English which makes the experience even better as you actually feel as if you are in Tunisia instead of English reps making you feel as if you are just back in England. The food is traditional and yummy. The beach is beautiful and all staff aim to help in any way they can! Had an amazing time & hope to come again!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Scottishdancer1
chafford hundred
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I just returned today from a one week stay at Marhaba Palace as a single traveller. I have stayed there many times before and was a bit apprehensive having read about the building works next door.I can honestly say I was hardly aware of the construction going on. Apparently the hotel was closed for about 3 months at the beginning of the year whilst the hotel next door was demolished (sensible). Now the new building is well under way I noticed that the Marhaba staff have begun redecorating the outside of their own hotel. The whole place was spotless as usual. The staff were delightful, helpful and friendly at all times. Within one day, the morning and evening staff knew my requirements for mealtime drinks and they rushed to bring them to me the minute I arrived in the restaurant. The food was varied and tasty.
The rooms are airy, clean and attended to every day with fresh linen and towels supplied.
The cyber cafe now only contains ONE computer but use of it is free. However if you need WiFi connection for your own device there is a charge. Considering the lateness of the season the weather was for the most part extremely hot and sunny. Yes, it did storm, but that was during the evening and was rather spectacular! There was always some activity or other going on and a varied entertainment programme during the evening.
I stayed as a half board guest and hardly parted with any cash at all. As far as value for money goes I think anyone will be hard stretched to better it. OK, there is no basket of toiletries in the bathroom, but most people take their own anyhow and if not they are available at a very low cost from the local supermarket.
There is a charge of 10TD for a beach/pool towel card, but that is fully refunded when one leaves. Use of a mattress for the sunbed is 2TD (and has been that price forever!)
Finally I must recommend the services of Lamia in the hotel hair and beauty salon. She is excellent and the prices are minimal (her English is perfect too) so I would recommend at least one treatment during your stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank belazieth
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Many of the hotels in the brochures say that they are at port el kantoui. They are not. Staying at many of them you will need a taxi to get to the marina. From this hotel it is just a stroll. Talking about taxis, they are plentiful but beware. The first thing you will be asked is where are you going too. I can assure you that the price that you will be quoted is double the correct fare. Legally they have to activate the meter, but rarely do this for tourists. Insist that they switch on the meter.It will save you valuable dinars. You will find that the staff are helpful, but it is not a great hotel for families as there is little in the way of entertainment. But what could be more pleasant that a stroll to the marina, sit in a cafe or bar and enjoy the passing scene.

Room Tip: They do have non-smoking rooms, as a smoker they once allocated one to me but a quick word at recept...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank peterhg
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

just returned home after 2 lovely weeks at the mahaba .the hotel is a little tired in places but overall the staff work hard and keep the place clean .food is good plenty of bars and inclusive drinks are fine.would probably return as good value

Room Tip: sea view rooms dont get sun in afternoons
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
#12 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Iberostar Diar El Andalous
Iberostar Diar El Andalous
#2 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Marhaba Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!