“Avoid hotel and Country!!”

El Mouradi Port El Kantaoui
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid hotel and Country!!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I am a well traveled holiday maker so i am aware of what to expect from holidays although I was not prepared for this.

The hotel is very outdated in terms of decor and general appearances. The bigger issue with the hotel were the Staff whom most of all did not look at you if you were not holding a Dinar in your hand. The bar tenders in the main bar were so rude and it seemed that every time you asked them for a drink it was a big deal. I understand it was ramadam (fasting during the day) whilst i was staying and the Rep (Just Sunshine) advised that we should be considerate with the staff as they could not eat or drink whilst it was light. Although i respect all religions i must state that it was not OUR fault they had to fast so why take it out on the paying residents. An example of this was when i asked for some milk for me 1 year old daughter to which i got a reponse of "we do not have milk here" i then said "So how do you make coffee and how come you serve cereal at breakfast?" I was then advised to use the milk that they lay out for coffee which is served from a container that clearly is not kept cool.

I understand this is not the hotels fault but the Taxi drivers who are located outside the hotel were very aggressive and could be on the verge of intimidating. They swore at us when we tried to haggle them down and said they would call the police if 3 adults got into 1 car ( 5 seater) which doesnt make sense...

Overall the holiday experience was servery effected by the staff and locals attitude to visitors. I would never return to this hotel nor Tunisia for this very reason.

Egypt was a much better North African holiday all round.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Innes1985

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Amazing hotel, plenty of things to do, would love to go back, amazing staff and so lovely, weather is beautiful, animation team are amazing too! Just an amazing place! Not far from the markets to get gifts, and not that far from the harbour, plenty of places to go and visits, plenty things to do like camel rides, Safari and so on!!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Chantelleevans
Sint-Niklaas, Belgium
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is our second day at this hotel. We are travelling with our 2 month son and the stuff is very helpfull and friendly.
Yesterday I did the stupidest thing in my life: I forgot at the reception my small bag with all our money and travel documents. I didn't know that I was missing that until I've got a call from the reception to inform me that my wallet was forgotten at the reception. A big "credit" for the stuff and their honesty.
Our room had a fridge that didn't work and the tv had no remote control but after informing the reception both problems were fixed quickly. The airco is very weak but if we liked the cold we would stay in our country Belgium.
The food is not the greatest, but there is plenty. We love the pizzas though.
The beach is nice, also the pools.

Room Tip: Have a look at the room they will give you, and if you don't like it, ask for another one.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Andreas A
Glasgow
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Agree with last review. Only here for one week and after first night we complained as air conditioning so poor that the four of us did not sleep. Subsequent complaints twice a dat before anyone came to room on 3rd way to fix. Still not any better. Now on 4th day and offered two more rooms but still the same. Avoid room 2222 if booking. We know other people have great air con and it is really spoiling our holiday. Apart from that, entertainment team are good, beach is beautiful and most staff very friendly. Food ok but needs more choice for young kids. Go on Zulu trip. Fantastic. Would not come to this hotel again but would come to Tunisia.

• Stayed July 2013
Carlton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We are on our third day at this hotel, hotel a little dated, foods absolutely fine, animation team are great but there could be more entertainment during the day e.g more music during the day however there is no pool bar even tHough there is one there it does not get used but the worse thing about this hotel is the air-conditioning, we are in room 227 and 244 and the air-con virtually non existent and is unbearable we have complained and complained to no avail, making sleep and getting ready impossible. The reception is a little bit cooler but the restaurant is unbearable, the poor waiters must be unbearably hot and having meals is so uncomfortable. Think the hotel just needs to turn it up there is no respite from this continuous heat and is spoiling our holiday and the hotels reputation.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank millieh
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

After two great holidays in Turkey, Tunisia came as a bit of a disappointment. I’d liken it to a huge building site strewn with plastic bags populated by angry shop keepers.
El Mouradi PEK General
The hotel is basic and a bit tatty around the edges but it’s clean. It has two really nice pool areas and easy access to a nice sandy beach. The beach experience is spoilt to some extent however by the amount of debris in the sea. You also need to be up with the Lark if you want to lay claim to a sun bed in a nice position near the main pool or on the beach.
The cleaners work hard and the ladies that battle to keep the toilets clean deserve a medal. The bar staff are OK (with a couple of notable exceptions) but you have to keep tipping if you want stay suitably “watered”. The reception staff however are a challenge, they always seem to have something more important to do than talk to you. It’s like trying to have a conversation with someone going past on a motor bike.
Food and Drink
The crush of humanity fighting for breakfast and the evening meal in the main dining facility really got to me. There is however a secondary dining area near the main pool which helped to make the midday meal more civilised. There is a good range of food available but it’s all tasteless I’m afraid. I ended up living on bread and marmalade and crisps. The alcoholic drinks available under the all inclusive arrangement are barely drinkable in my opinion. I did find a whisky I could drink but there must have been two on offer because every now and then I was served something truly ghastly. In desperation I tried a brandy from the “extras” shelf but it tasted like lamp oil. The El Mouradi Palace, which shares the same plot as the PEK did serve Becks and Heineken but you had to pay for them.
Entertainment
The animation team lay on some reasonable activities during the day but their night shows have a definite British Army ENSA quality (Every Night Something Awful). The “highlight” for me was Irish night where they attempt to mime to Lord of the Dance. Having said that, the end of night group dance went down well with my wife and daughters. One very odd thing is that everything stops at 11:30 and you are effectively sent to bed. I did venture out to the two night clubs that are part of the complex but the sight of a drunk bloke staggering about the dance floor oblivious to the fact that he’d shed one of his flip flops was enough to deter me from further investigation. My daughters visited the night clubs and reported that they were “alright” so I may have caught them on an off night.
Out and About
Any attempt to explore beyond the confines of the hotel complex is spoilt, in my opinion, by the unsolicited advances made by the shop keepers and restaurant owners. This problem seems to be worse in Tunisia than in Turkey, and it’s a real irritation in Turkey. There comes a point when the “Hard Sell” just becomes “begging with menaces”. We ended up doing all of our shopping in supermarkets to avoid the hassle. Having said that Port El Kantaoui is really pretty and well worth a visit even though you have to run the begging gauntlet in some places. It’s a 25 minute walk into PEK from the hotel but if you’re feeling brave you can take a quick 5 TD taxi ride. There is an “Irish” bar in PEK but don’t get too excited. I went there hoping for Guinness but alas the local lager, Becks and Heineken are all that’s on offer.
Excursions
The trip to the Mosque and Amphitheatre is worth doing. You have to take a few TD with you to pay to take pictures and make sure that any ladies have something to cover their head and shoulders with and that the gents have shorts that cover their knees. I had to “hire” a skirt for 1 TD and it wasn’t a good look! The zoo trip to see the dolphins is OK but overpriced. The one we enjoyed the most was the Quad Bike trip but be warned, for half of the trip you’ll be blasting along on public roads. For the zoo trip and the quad bike trip you’ll need money for the cafe and to buy pictures of you and yours enjoying yourselves.
High Points
The weather pool and beach, laughing fit to burst at the “Irish night”, a cracking peppered steak in PEK, an evening on the booze on the floating restaurant in PEK, a drinking session at the hotel with a few fellow Brits, undertaking cars and lorries on the main road on a Quad Bike and melting at the Amphitheatre.
Low Points
Putting my 2TD in the pool table only to find that there were 3 balls missing, having a towel stolen, a trip to the market which turned out to be a fish market, the return airport transfer in the smallest and most uncomfortable coach on the planet, the morgue night clubs, stroppy shop keepers, disinterested reception staff, my daughter losing an expensive shawl on a night out to PEK and my wife losing a £350 diamond ring at some point during the holiday.
Hints and Tips
Take marmite, you’ll need it. Also take Nescafe 3 in 1 and buy a mug each from the hotel shop. The hotel cups are like thimbles.
There is a towel hire service for 10 TD which means you can leave half of your beach towels at home
The rooms have fridges in them, so if you take a travel kettle the morning brew can be achieved without struggling through the breakfast scrum.
Beware the trip to the market; it’s just a ploy to try to sell you a carpet

Room Tip: 160 and 162 have nice views over the main courtyard and you can just see the sea
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Simon L

Travelers are raving about these Port El Kantaoui hotels

Belfast.Northern Ireland
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We traveled to here on 4th June for 2 wlks..The hotel was very clean and made us feel very welcome.All the staff day and night were very helpful and nothing was to much to ask of them.The food i found was mainly for Russians..Germans and the French but there was always something to eat..in the mornings the omeletts freshley made were lovely and at lunch and dinner time the dessart menu was to die for if you have a sweet tooth..the freshly made piza's were just perfect and you can get onthem what ever you want.Drinks were also good we had no complaints..Just a short stroll down a path and you are on the beach which was beautiful white sand..you wld think you were in the Bahammas it was that nice,and sometimes we wld walk along the beach as the sun was going down which was beautiful.The intertanment was quiet good also but we went out most night's to the Marina which is only a short taxi ride away around 5dina..also the there is the Hiwian center just a shorth stroll away or 3 dina in a taxi or hope on there local bus for 1 dina for 2 people..up above that you have the Ali Babba witch has a great selection of stuff to buy..you are never short of places to go and the local people are so friendly..this is my 3rd time in Tunisia and i just love it and of course the cheep ciggys..and cvopy's of shoes and football kits to bring back as prezzys..in all i would recomend this hotel we had a fab time and cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: If you like to go to bed early do not get a room at the back were the bar is as the music goes onto...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends