“Another honest review!”

Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Another honest review!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

(I feel some of these reviews may be confused between this hotel - El Mouradi Port El Kantaoui and the El Mouradi Club which is next door, we are writing a review for the PORT)

After reading all the reviews about this hotel, we had mixed feelings about it. We weren't concerned about the dated interior, as although we are a young couple, it's not something we were bothered about, as long as everything was clean. Which it was! The bathroom in our room was spotless when we arrived, however there was one little stain on the bedding, but that wasn't much of a worry, and we didn't see it as something to complain about. After everyone was raving about the sea view, we immediately asked for one, however found out it was an extra 32 dinars a day, so we gave that a miss. The view we had was quite pleasant anyway, so it wasn't really a problem. The room and balcony were a good size and apart from the shower head being a bit hit and miss, there's nothing to complain about on that front!

We found that the food was average, which was something we were very worried about from reading reviews, but there was a lot of choice, with different fresh meats or fish being cooked in front of you. There was also pizza on a night time, for anyone claiming there was no 'English' food for children to eat. The way the food was described in all these reviews is not an accurate representation, fair enough the food can sometimes get a bit repetitive, but there is certainly a lot of choice. And as for English food, it's ridiculous to go on holiday to another country and eat burgers and chips all the time anyway!
Drinks were nice and strong!

The beach was beautiful, and paying a bit extra for a sun bed mattress is something we were willing to do, and not a problem at all. Neither was paying 1 dinar for a litre bottle of water, we were definitely happy to do that. We spent most of our time at the beach, so I can't comment much on the pool, but there was always a large supply of sunbeds. Something that could've been improved was the beach bar food, the panini's were disgusting and the pizza was average.

The animation team were amazing, they work so hard in getting everyone involved, day and night! Doing archery, kids clubs, pool games, pool and sea aerobics, karaoke, night time games and much more!

Excursions or activities we would advise are:
- Jet Skiing (my boyfriend absolutely loved it and was prepared to do it again, the price was very good and much cheaper than other countries he's been to)

- The Friday Night Beach party; it was our last night in Tunisia and it was such an experience! We are very happy we went along, it was beautifully set out, the food was lovely, the waiters were great and very helpful, the entertainment was brilliant and the foam party topped it all off! Although it was very surreal being on a beach covered in foam!

- The 2 day Safari; although we only went to Tunisia for a week, we decided to do the safari after hearing great reviews about it, and I can safely say it is something everyone should do! You basically cover half of Tunisia in 2 days, driving through mountains, watching the sunset in the Sahara desert during a camel ride, having lunch in a cave, viewing the different oasis's and waterfalls, every part of it was truly amazing! It is a very tiring journey, as you're on the coach a lot, and there's a lot of early mornings, but this trip is definitely advised for young couples or old! However, I wouldn't advise it for families, as the days are long, the mornings early and although amazing, it is a very tiring trip.

Something else we'd like to cover is that we travelled with Just Sunshine, after seeing many terrible reviews about this company, we were worried that this is the part of the holiday that may let us down. However, we were completely wrong! Just Sunshine was a brilliant company to travel with, we had no problems and our Rep Dali was fantastic! The company was so brilliant we will be writing to them to thank the rep and give him some recognition. We came to this hotel through buying a Kgbdeal, another company that has had some terrible reviews, however, we found the company easy to plan with and nothing went wrong with our deal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank hannahcake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Visited this hotel for the 5 time and with no surprise the hotel lived up to all my expectations, the entertainment staff were amazing so friendly and happy all of the time. The food was very mixed with lots to choose from English and continental. The Hotel itself was always clean and tidy. Hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful. Would recommend this hotel to everyone, ie suitable for family's, couples young and older, groups of friend's. Overall a fabulous holiday and booking again for next year, no complaints to report.
Debbie from Englang

Room Tip: All rooms are suitable for all people
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank djwbabe
Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I was a bit concerned about this vacation when I read the reviews, but as an 'experienced' tripadvisor user now I can really say which reviews are useful.

Shortly, yes, rooms and a hotel are a bit outdated. And that's all I can say that is 'negative'.
On the other hand, rooms are very clean, mattresses are new, sheets and towels are changed every day, central aircondition makes you feel very comfortable when you're inside. And we were only there to sleep, so...

Food is excellent, plenty of choice, anyone can find something for themselves. You can complain on this food only if you are seriously spoiled.

Beach is ok, waves when it's windy, but that's usual on this type of beaches (long, sandy). I had a 'date' with a jellyfish, but that's really nothing serious - after 30min I forgot about it. Pools are great, and water is warm and pleasant whatever you choose - sea or pool. You can always find free umbrella, shade, sunbed, etc...

The best surprise of all was the constant action in the hotel - I didn't know before how good animation team can make your vacation great, I never thought it's so important. Our kids had the unforgettable time and we were surprised with the quality of the program. Thanks Sofienne and the team for all the energy, smiles and fun you gave us, despite working that hard all day, everyday.

Next time we will try some of very interesting excursions - this time we were not into that (short stay, 2 little kids, need for swim :). Also, with this all inclusive service, if you don't want - you don't have to spend a dinar extra. We wanted - so we gave a lot of tips and bought water to have some in the room (you can have it for free all day in the bars). Bottle is 1 dinar (around 18 dinars for 10 eur). Really not expensive. For the safe you give 20din deposit (you get it back at the end) + 2din for each day.

ps. I haven't even notice is there internet in the hotel or not, I find that irrelevant because I can't wait to go on vacation to get out of it.

Room Tip: Our room was 537, the last one in the hallway. But it was sooooo big and good, with 4 enormously lar...
4 Thank Yezza
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is an excellent hotel, I love it!
El Mouradi is beautifully decorated, with a lot of flowers and two big swimming pools.
Also the beach is great, and in front of the hotel, so you don't have to walk more then two minutes to get there.

The restaurant is enormous, has two types of kitchen - national and international.
You can literally find anything to eat there.

The really good advantage is that you can use the swimming pools and the services of the hotel next door because it belongs to the Mouradi chain of hotels.

I really liked my trip to Tunisia, it is the best summer vacation I ever had, and God knows I've been to may countries and a lot of cities during my short life!

4 Thank Dzeny
Corsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Just got back from our week’s holiday at El Mouradi Port El Kantaoui, we visited this resort in the school summer break between the 4th and 11th August 2012 and was booked through Sunshine Travel. This resort is situated 10 kilometers from the town of Sousse and a 35 minutes transfer from the airport. This hotel is a part of a group of El Mouradi situated in the same location and is rated a 4 star. I always try to keep an open mind as I have traveled all round the world and stayed in varied classes of hotels/resorts. This is ranked a 4 star, true reflection is high 3* but not a 4*, however countries do have very strange rating systems so I am not surprised they have rated this 4*.

Arrival: We arrived early evening to find one staff member on reception, not forgetting this is the month of Ramadan and therefore the staff are getting their food and drink after fasting all day. We ask prior to booking for a room on the top floor with a view, the guy behind reception said that the room (2220) we had was a good one... and we were very surprised to find he was right. A family room with a sea view, which I think could be one of the best rooms in the hotel (very pleased with that).

The Room: As previously stated the room overlooked the ocean, to which you could sit on the small balcony and take in the view. The room was dated and limited facilities, if you are like me I am a coffee junky and was glad to read a review which stated that there is no tea/coffee making facilities within the room... so take your travel kettle with you. Tunisia is very hot during the day/night so I was delighted that the room was well air-conditioned. All in all the room was ok, bit shabby round the edges but pleasant to get your head down.

The Pools: There are two reasonable sized pools at this hotel, however we did not use them as our choice was the beach. From what I saw the pools looked good with plenty of bed-chairs around them. If you plan to use the hotel towels you need to have 10 dinars (per towel) ready as a deposit. We arrived with no money as it’s a closed currency and planed to get some at the hotel on arrival, only to find the cash machine was out-of-order (which stayed out of order our entire stay) and the reception staff not very helpful in facilitating us with a solution. After walking around 2/3 different hotels we found a cash machine that worked at El Mouradi Palace (5 star), however that was a morning wasted trying to get some cash sorted. I recommend getting your cash on arrival at the exchange, and keep your receipt as this is required to change it back into sterling if you do not use it.

The Beach: This is the best thing about this location the El Mouradi Group have private beaches and therefore very well maintained and patrolled by security staff to ensure that you are not pestered too much by locals trying to sell you stuff. The beach as a bar which serves beer/soft drinks/snacks for lunch (pizza & chips), however not until 10am therefore if you are like us and head down to the beach early then you need to purchase a bottle of water... yes I did say purchase. This is one of the things that bugged me, they do not provide bottled water as part of the all inclusive and you do not get any in your room. The bottles of water costs 1 dinar, so you are best stocking up with a few to store in your fridge. After 10am they do provide water by glass from the bar and a few drink stations dotted around. This is not very good considering that you could get dehydrated in these temperatures, even if they provided 1 bottle a day in the room would make a difference (if the management are reading this then take note). There are lots of sports on the beach and normal power sports will cost you, however the hotel do provide pedalos, kayaks and canoes. The hotel provides plenty of bed-chairs, however if you wanted to have a bed mat this would cost you 2 dinars extra to hire (another money making scam). Like most people we did not bother with the mats and found the plastic bed-chairs ok, but not too relaxing. This is one area the hotel can make an improvement with and provide better more comfortable bed-chairs as this is the facility their paying customers use the most (did not feel 4 star).

Food/Drink: This is where this hotel does fall down; the hotel is multinational (Russian/German) dominant and is reflected in the food. We struggled to find something English looking to eat, and with 12/14 year old kids they complained every meal time and did not eat much all week apart from pasta / pizza. This is not to say the food was bad, it was not to our pallet and if you were Russian or German you would be quite content with the spread. Another money making spinner they have is the orange juice costs 2 dinars (not happy). The waiters do make a fuss of you and like you to stay in the same place every day. This is so they can make a tip off you at the end of the holiday, we did not mind too much as the staff are very good and look after you. The drinks are ok and very strong, so no complaints there, I think the negative reviews for this hotel is properly down to the food and I can’t blame them for that, as it was the worst experience of the holiday and considering you are all-inclusive it’s an important part.

Entertainment/Facilities: The entertainment in the evening was not very good and found ourselves going to bed early, which did not bother us too much as a long day at the beach zapped the energy and an early night was refreshing. The entertainment staff work hard, and are of normal standard for this type of hotel it’s just a little amateur for us but a lot better than other resorts we have stayed at. The tables and chairs within the entertainment area are plastic and look bad (old and well used), this is an area that needs some work if they want to be a real 4* hotel. There is NO Internet at this hotel, which was devastating for my kids to be disconnected for a whole week (is this a plus or minus?), however in this day and age hotels of 4* should be offering free Internet access to all guests within certain areas of the hotel.

Overall Experience: We had a good time and found the staff friendly and hotel clean and tidy, we were disappointed with money making scams, the food and entertainment... would I return NO... I have attempted to be as honest as possible and would not mark this hotel down for no reason, however to become a 4* rated hotel there requires some work done to this hotel to satisfy the average English Tourist

Room Tip: Room 2220 (family room) nice and good view
14 Thank iaingreatrex
Blyth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Very friendly and relaxing holiday this the 1st time to Tunisia and we arrived @ 3am in morning our rooms were clean/tidy but need an urgent update the carpets in the passage way stank of damp. Towels etc changed each day which was nice to see. Pool area nice and large but as always have to rise early to get your sun beds. Entertainment was very good day and night something going on. FOOD Bah if that is what you can call it, it is set up to cater for other europeans not british we lived on bread rolls and crisps also it was like being in a cattle mart people pushing into the front of queues family never off the toilet the whole week we were there. If ever to return to Tunisia it would be self catering so we could pick and choose what we wanted to eat.

Room Tip: Poolside view rooms probably the best placed but still basic
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Bumps_12
leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel is not a 4star i would say 2star maybe 3 at a push. I found the food very nice and that was about it. Restaurant staff very nice as long as your tipping.
Stayed in one of the little white villas- not good at all, dark and dirty (If you do get put in one of these little villas speak to management and they will upgrade you too a hotel room free of charge, they did this for a couple of guests)
Pool area and grounds nice enough. Entertainment average nice for the kids.
Russian people so load and aggressive when drunk.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family