“Lovely holiday”
Review of El Mouradi Palace

El Mouradi Palace
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed at the Palace second week of June, two members of staff at the reception desk were a bit clueless but the rest were very helpful. Our room could have been a bit more up to date but as it was so clean we didn't mind about the decor, lovely view of the pool and we could just about see the sea from our balcony. We had no complaints about the food or the service in the dining room, the only thing that was annoying in there was how rude some of the guests were, no manners whatsoever to fellow guests or to the staff. We enjoyed our beers in the evenings, the entertainment wasn't fantastic but we didn't mind, lovely little walk down to the beach, had nice lunch several times in the beach bar.
The staff at this hotel work so hard, especially in the dining room and the maids, we couldn't fault any of them.
We were a bit weary as it was our first trip to Tunisia, we will be going there again and we will-without a doubt go back too this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cazza2714
Write a ReviewReviews (1,029)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

as you have read a mixed bag of reports ,
we had a junior suet on the 1st floor . NO locks on the patio doors ,was told don't worry your not in England ,
mini fridge never works asked at reception SIX time told go to the bar for a cold drink ?

maids wants towels at 9 like it or not,they walk in to rooms and take the sheets when wife was in shower Not happy .
food the most basic seen and tasted for years ,cauliflower for breakfast ?????
waiters wanted tipping every meal no spoons.? un less you asked?

pool clean and well maintained ,not a nuff sun loungers ,pool bar beer, coke, lemonade, all warm half cups, plastic flimsy cups.

entertainment What a joke all I can say

main bar, under staffed, staff could not be bothered cheap local poor drinks
pay bar 23 dinar for a whiskey and coke £10

beach v nice ,shame about jelly fish ,my self and many kids and adults getting stung NOT FUN
staff say don't worry it will get better ,if you want to see your wife or children crying in pain go there.

pool side restaurant ,staff wow what attitudes ,lazy, un friendly , could not be bothered.no chips unless u had a omelette ,leave the omelette ,

room service ,my god I asked for a bottle of coke some ice and 3 glasses got 3 glasses with ice and 1 small single service bottle ,next day asked for same but wanted a big bottle but was told NO , EVEN IF YOU TRY AND PAY FOR THING THEY WONT SERVE YOU.
Over all nice country ,hotel tired, staff tired slow only money motivates some times
we meet up with many other English and German families all saying the same things,
thank god it was only 7 days, i would never go back to Tunisia . I hope the hotel management read these reports and stop this

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Mrbaker2010
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Having read the reviews was a little bit sceptical but having just returned from a week here cannot find anything to complain about. Th hotel was fantastic, free safe in room, fridge, room service, free wifi. Large pool, lovely restaurant. Staff were amazing especially considering it was Ramadam. Booked through just sunshine, no complaints about them Our rep Medhu was very helpful. Also special thanks to our waiter Zaed abidi for looking after us so well.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Rachael G
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Well everything went like clockwork, booked the holiday with Low Cost Holidays, late deal £612 each we booked All Inclusive Superior Room with transfers from airport.
From getting on the plane at Manchester to arriving at hotel everything went great.

Got to hotel at 1.10 a.m. went straight to the room porter took our bags up, wrist bands attached for all inclusive and we had a great room quiet in the corner overlooking the stage room 419 . MMMMMM I thought this is gonna be noisy but we will see.

We booked a superior room twin beds separate toilet, separate bathroom with wash basin, bath with overhead shower and a bidet. Linens and towels changed every day. However there seemed to be a shortage of towels as they disappeared at 9 ish in the mornings and never re appeared till after 1 in the afternoon.

Dining room we were very lucky to have Sonia for our waitress for breakfast and lunch every day she is stationed 1st left and on right as you enter the dining room. Lovely girl blonde hair about 30 years of age. She reserved our table every day whilst we were there, very attentive to our needs and we never had to ask for anything as she remembered everything.

The food, no bacon for breakfast however you could have an omelette freshly made for you each day followed by crepes. They had fresh fruit, watery scrambled eggs, spicy sausages, vegetables ( I know but someone must eat them) small selection of cereals fruit juices crossants etc! tea and coffee,

Lunch and dinner was the same menu, in fact the menu very rarely changed all week everything in sauces, chicken, veal, every day very bland very boring. Salads everyday same choices though, Melon plums peaches cakes usually the same but a wide choice of cakes.

Not a good experience in the dining room every evening dirty tables. Now my idea to run a dining room was to have it well presented. Once a table becomes empty clean it lay it back up. No they thought it best to clean it whilst you waited to sit. Strange idea. I thought the restaurant staff were very lazy they could not be bothered at all. The manager was there one night I complained to him he could not care less.

They had a great pool very busy, so we avoided that we went down to the private beach everyday stopping off at the beach bar for 1 litre of bottled water each, usually cold and free as we were all inclusive.

The beach had 5 lifeguards on everyday, they put out your sunbed for you most days and got u a mattress for it. Beautiful sandy beach and most days the sea was very clear, very sandy no stones bit of seaweed but that was it. The 1st day they tried to sell you trips or jetski etc! but that was it they then never bothered you at all after that. We spent every day here.

We left about 1 ish had 2 gin & tonics at the pool bar, left our towels on the bed totally safe.
We noticed they had a set menu for all inclusive guests at the beach bar but it was the same every day. Salad, pizza choice of 4 toppings and a chicken sandwich and fruits of the season. It was very good so we ate here twice for lunch. Chicken sandwich was not up to much.

About 4 p.m. we had enough of sunbathing and went back to hotel sitting out on the terrace with 2 gin and tonics each. They also do crepes by the stage area if you can get served for all the kids this starts about 4 p.m.

Then off to room for a clean up and rest. The music from pool area finishes about 6p.m. and the music for the show starts about 8p.m. but finishes around 11 p.m. to 11.30 every night.
Air conditioning although very welcoming was on full but I kept the patio door open most nights as it made me cough.

The bar service was a bit hap hazard, no care in preparing a drink however I did use the ice in the drinks and had no illness at all. I am the world’s worst for upset stomachs and I had no problems all week. I would not drink the tap water but it was safe enough to clean your teeth in etc.

Internet was free for all inclusive you just needed a ticket with a code, get it at the front desk every 12 hours 1 ticket for each device. I had an I pad, Laptop, and phone. They always questioned why I needed 3 tickets but I got them no problem. Otherwise its 8 dinars and hour.

Personally although I am not a big drinker I would still go all inclusive as drinks are very expensive. The gin was quite pallatable so it suited me. Apparently the beer is a bit week but ice cold. Small glasses all round no chance of a pint at all.

Taxis to sousse no more than 8 dinars they ask for 10 or even 12 dinars but 8 is all we paid after bartering,

A horse carriage from hotel to Port el kantoui 20 dinars we got him down to 10 dinars

(20 min walk turn left out of hotel then bear left at golf club roundabout) .

20 min walk steady to port el kantoui.

As you approach there is a large supermarket on right and u can get 2 cans of juice for 2 dinars, we paid 12 dinars in a beach restaurant for 2 pints of coke. They have lots of shops nice to walk round the port, and they have a large fairground for the kids.

2 and a half dinars to the pound roughly so ten dinars is about £4. It seems a lot when using dinars.

When you consider a taxi to sousse is 8 dinars about £3.50 it’s a 20 minute journey by car so it is dirt cheap.

Port el kantou as a beach train and its 2 dinars into sousse this is on the main road fairground side of port el kantoui and operates daily from 9 till 10p.m. 20 mins max wait for another train.

The majority of Tunisians are very friendly however in the Sousse medina they can be a bit intimidating. The one con I fell for is hello I am a waiter at your hotel it is my day off.

They name the hotel your from. Well they must be I thought, they read your all inclusive wrist band as they approach you as it has your name of hotel written on it.

To get rid of them is just a DEFINITE NO and walk on just ignore them. They will leave you alone.

Bartering in shops. I haggled and bartered a pair of trainers from 160 dinars down to 40 dinars, Just walk out the shop, they wont let you go stick to your price in your head and no more. You should get them.

My trainers cost me £17.50 Adidas trainers very good copies. Everything is fake but well made.

If in doubt even buying a drink get a price 1st. don’t assume it will be cheap as once you have eaten or drunk it you pay what they say so GET A PRICE FIRST.

We got transfers from the airport at £9 each way. Carthage airport is 2 hours drive so a coach transfer is a must. It would cost a fortune in a taxi.

You can spend Dinars at the airport this side of airport nothing much to buy like, Once you go through to other side the currency in duty free shops is Euros.

Hope this guides is a help for you

Based on a stay, Sat 13th July for 1 week.

Room Tip: If your not happy with your room I am sure you will have no problems getting a different location
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank Mark.dUnitedKingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just back from a week's holiday. Previously stayed here in 2009 and was really looking forward to returning. Our room was good with excellent aircon and was spotless.
Pool area excellent with plenty of space and very little hijacking of sunbeds at dawn.
Bar and hotel staff were extremely attentive and polite and tipping optional-no pressure. All of this was in line with our previous experience.
BUT
The hot food quality was appalling and nowhere near 2009 standards. Luckily the salad bar kept us fed for the week although the choice was more limited than previously.
The animation team (Amis Excepted) are the worst I have ever seen and seemed totally disinterested. No daily programme available (we heard the same movie music quiz 3 times in one week!!) and the evening programme was grand if you liked playing bingo in the dark.

All in all accommodation and service excellent, but food and animation dismal

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rolokildare
Reviewed July 14, 2013

From Monastir to EM Palace is about 40minutes. When we arrived at the hotel, the portir took our luggage to our room. The room key was given instantly, we didn't have to wait a single minute. The room is large and spacious, clean, the bathroom and toilet are seperated, the furniture is a bit old. There were no bugs or mosquitos at all, not even outside. You can set the air condition all by yourself. There's a sef in the room too.

The hotel has got a self service restaurant, a la carte restaurant, 4 bars (2 in the hotel, 1 at the pool, 1 at the beach), a coffee shop (that's a restaurant), wellness centre, one inside swimming pool, two outside (a big one and one for children), tennis courts, minigolf...

The self service restaurant is very spacious, you have got allot of choices to eat. At all three meals, the chef cooks different dishes in front of guests. All inclusive at breakfast includes mineral water, coffee, cappucino, tea, hot chocolate, milk, juice concentrates, fresh juice (early breakfast from 2:00 - 6:00, breakfast from 6:00 - 10:00, late breakfast from 10:00 - 11:00). All inclusive at lunch and dinner includes mineral water (1,5l), espresso, cappucino, tea, juice concentrates, soft drinks (cola, fanta, sprite, schweppes), beer, wines (0,75l).

At the coffee shop and at the beach bar you can eat from 12:30-16:00 for free, if you have all inclusive (pizzas, spagetti, salads, fruits, cakes, sandwiches).

In front of the hotel is the Cafe Maure, where you can drink (mineral water, turkish coffee, tea, soft drinks) and smoke a Chicha pipe for free (all inclusive from 15:00-23:00). Next to the Cafe Maure, there's a night club Le Palace where you can drink beer, wine, liqueurs, appetisers, spirits, cocktails and soft drinks from 23:00-02:00 (all inclusive). The night club is opened every night from 23:00-02:00, except Thursday.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, they don't expect tips at all, but it's nice if you give them 1TND.

The outside pool is big, the water is warm (not salt water), there are everyday activities by the pool (aerobics, gymnastics...). You can loan pool towells for 10TND/week (around 5€).

From the hotel to the beach is a nice 3minute walk through a hotel park. The beach is sandy, the water is clean and warm, lifeguards are always available. There are alot of sellers walking on the beach trying to sell fruits, carpets, clothes, palms... If you're an advantures person, you can go flying with a parachute, but it is quite expensive (1lap(about 7min) = 50TND). You can also go on a jet ski (10min = 50TND), kajak, banana, flying fish, whale... If you buy anything that doesn't have a price tag on it (fixed price), you'll have to lower the price for about 50% or the seller won't be happy.

Every Friday there is a beach party.

Every night there is a minidisco from 20:30-21:30 and a different animation from 21:30-23:00 for adults. The animation team is amazing, the best I've ever seen, they realy make your vacation!!!

You can go on many trips, including camel riding (the whole trip lasts for 3h, price: 35TND/person) or quad riding...

We stayed at the hotel from 03.07.2013-10.07.2013. It was so great that we're going to the same place next year for 14 days!

Room Tip: The room 128 has an awful view to the roof. Room 211 has a view to the parking.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank aplp10
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have just returned from a week at this hotel and had a really nice relaxing holiday. The hotel is slightly dated but was clean and our room, we stayed in a junior suite, was great. We had two separate toilets' a bathroom, two televisions and three balconies which was excellent as there were three of us, myself and husband and my 26 year old daughter, as she had been let down and needed to get away so I suggested she came with us. Food was pretty good as all inclusive hotels go, didn't bother with the a la carte nights as we were told not to bother. Pool was great, never had a problem getting a sunlounger, but we are early birds but most people were getting one and there were always plenty on the beach which was lovely.I must add here, if you go on the beach don't get caught out by the sea breeze. You think it's not so hot when you are lying on the beach as there is usually a nice cooling breeze, it is and when you walk back up to the hotel and the breeze disappears you start to tingle and wait till you get in the shower!
So as far as the hotel goes a nice place top go to relax and unwind.
When we left the airport on the coach which was about a 30 min journey, our holiday rep gave us the usual talk and went on to tell us how poor everyone in Tunisia is and how much they all rely on tips, this was followed up the next morning in the welcome meeting with a talk about how we should be careful as nearly everyone will be trying to rip us off given half the chance.I tipped fairly generously around the hotel and with the exception of one waiter at the pool bar, who kept me in drinks for two days without even having to ask, I found it made little or no difference. Our first experience of a taxi driver was again him trying it on. Having been told by the rep it should be 4.5 TD for a taxi back from the port, he wanted 7 after the usual haggle he took us for 5 but had he said 5 TD in the first place he probably would of got a tip! Our second trip to the port left me speechless. My husband, who doesn't like shopping, strange, decided to wait for us in The Irish Pub and off we went round the shops. I saw some really nice bags in one shop and asked "How much" to be told 20TD. When we went back to that shop, they had somehow gone up to 120 TD and when I stood my ground, the shopkeeper went right into one, telling me I was disrespecting him and all of a sudden he told me to go and **** myself! And in Ramadan. Even the shopkeepers in the shop next door were shocked! My daughter was the constant target for staring and lecherous looks and one of the waiters in the hotel actually turned his back on me and was asking her to go for a drink with him after work. On the whole, having been to Egypt 3 times and now Tunisia, I would personally say Tunisia is like a poor mans Egypt. I won't be going back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa
Marhaba Royal Salem
Marhaba Royal Salem
#6 of 36 in Sousse

Been to El Mouradi Palace? Share your experiences!