“Bargain Holiday”

Ranked #21 of 44 Hotels in Monastir
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
“Bargain Holiday”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I read a couple of conflicting reviews about this hotel but booked it anyway. It was great. The staff are unbelievably helpfull. The food is aimed at the germans, but really tasty and always a great choice. There is entertainment every night for an hour or so. Even though I went in January and during the week it was quiet, everything was still up and running and every effort made to ensure you have a great time. The drinks are of a god quality. The shop is always open. The heated indoor pool was lovely and as warm as a bath. Most of the staff speak quite good english and are eager to learn more. I paid £279 including luggage and transfers and it was an absolute bargain. I would highly recommend this hotel, above El Kantoui which I went to last year. If you want 5* luxury then pay for it. I would have been happy if I had paid double what I did. Will definately be heading back there.

Room Tip: It is only a three story hotel. We wanted a sea view but thay are by request. We were allocated a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Johanna C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Big hotel, full of german touristes. All staff speak german: reception, animation team, waiters. All of the german touristes had all inclusive system and because of that they were served accordingly. We had only breakfast and dinner (we've stayed there for 6 nights) and we had to pay for drinks but during our vacations only FB manager one time offered us to drink sometihing during a dinner. You have to pay for everything in this hotel: for towels, for safe, even for remote control. There is no wi-fi connection, but internet desk near reception (8 TND per hour, necessary to use at least 1 hr).
Anyway, on the check-in I got free upgrade from single room to double room and free early check-in. The room was spacious with balcony and fully equipped, but furniture was old and renovation is definitely needed. Breakfast and dinner are variable. There is also covered swimming pool (for free) with very warm water and it was very nice to swim there. I used SPA only once (massage), price were decent for me (40 TND for 30 min).
Hotel has big territory with open-air swimming pool and own beach. Location of the hotel is far from Monastir, we took a bus, and rather close to Sousse. But in general if you don't take excursions, there is nothing to do. I think I won't go back in this hotel, but will recommend it to my grandmom.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Natalia1150
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in November, 2012 and are returning March 2013. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff are very friendly. The food is very good and there is a great selection available. The hotel has entertainment every night and there are large seating areas available.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jeannette g
Madrid
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Tunisia is full of good inexpensive hotels, so there is no point in going to this hotel, that is cheap but low quality: the same chain (El Mouradi) has a much nicer hotel in El Kantaoui. My room was big, but very very smelly; the furniture was broken and heating was poor. There was no WiFi or Internet at the hotel, that is in the middle of nowhere.

Room Tip: Try a good tip: it always helps in Tunisia.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Monastir hotels

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We came here in January and February of 2012 had a good time so decided to return for November and December 2012.

As our holiday date came nearer we became more worried about our return to this hotel because reading some of the reviews on here but when we did arrive there were no problems at all.
We arrived at the Hotel at about 11. 30 am we were given two forms to fill in and
given a cocktail to drink whilst we were filling in the form, we had to wait about
an hour for the room but this was because we had asked for a persific room
over looking the car park we have one of these rooms because they get the sun
for most of the day. This was our second visit to The El-Mouradi so we did know
abit about the Hotel. At 12. 30 we. Went down and had some lunch and it did
seem that most of the waiters were pleased to see us again, we found that the
quality of the food had improved from our last visit but it was good then At lunch
time there is a good selection of meats vegtables and salade. Because of health
reasons I do not eat cakes but they all looked very nice and must of tasted nice
because of the quantaty some people put on their plates. After our lunch
reception informed us that our room was ready so the porter took us and my
wheel chair in the lift and he then went back to get the rest of our cases and
brought them to our room we did give the porter a 5dinnar tip you do not have to
tip if you do not want to but if you get good service why not reward them. Before
we returned for our second visit I did read the other reports on Trip-Adviser and I
must say that we came back here with a few niggling worries but all were
unfounded, some one else stated that the hotel was like a building site but this
was not so, some one else said that the reception staff could not speak English
again this was a load of rubbish because most of them can speak three or four
different lauguages most of the waiting staff are very pleasent and helpful even
if you do not tip them although I did feel that they could smile more (but that is
just me).
Restaurant
Breakfast, plenty of choice with cerial eggs of all types salade and what I think
is rice pudding, if you want eggs and bacon stay at home and cook it your self
Lunch, stacks of choice with meat or fish and always some thing on the grill and
always some Tunisian food couscous with chicken or Lamb and alway nice
looking salade and Cakes if you are all inclusive you can have beer, wine or soft
drinks with your meal.
Dinner, again a very good selection of food there is always some thing for
nearly every body and again you can have your drinks. I belive that the evening
meal should have a dress code to stop people wearing shorts and the like to
dinner.
The Bars, well stocked with wine, beer and soft drinks as well as tea or coffee
the only thing that I found a little funny was that you could only have spirits
within the happy hour in the evening but of course it did not spoilmy holiday at
all.
Money Exchange
I have read a report that said that the person had been ripped off by the banker well this is rubbish you tell them how much money you want to change they put on the computer then a slip is printed out the banker puts the slip in front of you and counts the money out in front of you so there is no way he can not give you the right amount.
There is a indoor heated swimming pool as well as various ones out side plus
there is the beach which is kept clean, some people have stated in the past that
thebeach is full of Camel dropings but this is untrue if they bothered to look they
would see that they are really looking at plants that resemble brown round balls.
All in allthis Hotel is fine not perfect for every one, a lot of German people go
here and not so many English so the entertainment is maily for the Germans but
that is not a problem for us. If you do have any problems at all see the manager
or the Director and they will do their best to sort it out for you.
If you are English and looking for a cheap holiday with eggs and bacon for
breakfast and roast beef and yorkshire pudding and apple pie and custard on a
Sunday go to Spain with all the other Brits but if you are looking for a reasonably
priced holiday with good food and sun then Tunisia is the place for you.

Whilst we were there we went on the Beduin trip with Frits and what a good trip it was we were picked up in the morning and driven down the road to where there was a Camel train as well as a donkey and cart there were enough Camels for every one we then went along the track to a Beduin village where we could see how they used to live we had fresh bread made for us as we watched so this is one trip that I would guarantee satisfaction.

Room Tip: The sun shines at the front of the hotel for most of the day but you over look the car park this is...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank steveandpatSwindon
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I & my partner travelled from Heathrow - Air Tunisia - late 2 hours - plane filthy staff -sub satndard. After a 3 hour coach trip from Tunis arrived at the Hotel Midnight - Receptionist spoke no English & poor French made us complete 3 forms which took nearly 30 miutes to complete. No porters pointed in direction of our room- No drink or Food as all bars & restaurants shut- All Inclusive! The bedroom was drab pubic hairs in shower area - soiled bathroom & strong sewage smell not good. Bed was steel unit with a childs pillow- hell to sleep on. Following days - poor standard of food - glorified school dinners - 4 star - I think not. The beach was dirt - factory nearby along the coast - could not guarnatee raw sewage being pumped into the sea. Loungers on pool side dirty and you have to pay for matress & towels daily - The pool is freezing - Not heated-All Inclusive ! . The complex is not British friendly staff constantly hazzling you for tips daily morning lunch & dinner not pleasant. The staff only make an effort with you if you -PAY. The trips are poorly run long journeys poor meals and operators who cannot translate / communicate in functional english- I do speak french so not being too picky. The outside of the hotel is filthy with horse muck & rubbish - there is no street bins. Local taxis from the hotel are dangerous & dirty not to mention expensive. The local bus system is equally dirty & very dangerous - Do Not Use. All in all 2 Star. If it was not for the good weather I do not know what we would do .

Room Tip: Avoid this Hotel at all costs - Health and Happiness comes first.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Charles D
Seinäjoki Finland
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I just came back from one week all inclusive holiday in Skanes Beach. I travelled with friends and the holiday was wonderful! We got what we had expected, sun, sea, pool, delicious food, palm trees etc, at a low price of 570 euros each. The price is very low considering that we travelled in an expensive season, that is, during Finnish schools autumn holiday. Officially Skanes Beach is a 4 star hotel in Tunisia. There was a tunisian tourist authority`s certificate of this in the wall near the front door. In western standar the hotel was yet a 3 star hotel, and that is also how our travel agency marketed this hotel, 3 stars.

The rooms were clean and quite normal 3 star hotel rooms. No luxury but all we needed. They cleaned the rooms every day and also brouht new towels every day. The cleaner lady was very nice, waited untill we got out of the room and also asked where we were from, how we liked tunisia etc. There were no bugs in the room until the last night when we found a big, awful cocroach in the toilet! We first tried to kill it ourselves but it ran away. My friend went to the reseption to get help, but nothing happened for about 10 minutes. Then I went to the reseption, really hysteric about this awful bug, and right after that 3 men came and killed the cocroach! So sometimes it is good to be hysteric;) But that was the only bug we met!
First when we arrived, there was shampoo and soap in the toilet, but they did not bring new shampoos so we had to use our own. Soaps they did bring. Once we also ran out of toilet paper as they didnt bring so much paper as we might consume at home, but this was really no harm. I think in countries like Tunisia the toilets can`t handle so much paper than in Europe.

The food was great, there were many different kinds of food. Traditional tunisian food but also should I say "international" food such as many kinds of potato food, steaks of meat and fish, big salads of different kind, pizza etc/. Warm food was always warm, cold food was cold. As much as I remember, there were no flies.The dessert was the greatest: just delicious cakes of many kind, ice cream, fresh fruits, mousse of chocolade....how we LOVED them! About breakfast, worth mensioning are the wonderful crepes which a nice youg boy baked. Delicious! The snacs were also delicious: my favourite was the pizza they baked at the pool bar. They also had different juices and Coca Cola etc, and in one of the cafees they had different cakes and coffee/tea. The late snack at 10-12 pm included rolls and warm food like potatos and meat- and of course the soooo delicious cakes I just wrote about:D Only from 0 am to 6.30 am they did`t have any snacs, but I am not sure about this because we did`nt need any food as we were sleeping:) All in all, the food was great. Of course there were also dishes we did not like,but allways there was so many dishes we did like,should I say even too many dishes, there was no space for more food in our stomaches as we ended each meal! The only downside of the main restaurant was that many times we had to wait a little to get forks and knives as the waiters brought them to the tables.

About the animation. There were many kinds of things to do,aerobic and water aerobic, archery, boccia, darts, beach volley, gym, nordic walking etc. I did not participate in any of them. Two of us four travellers participated in water aerobics and enjoyed it a lot. The evening animation was quite averige hotel evening animation; different kinds of dancing performances, competitions, shows, humor.....enjoyable, of course, but not the most breath taking hotel shows I have seen. But we had a good time!

Then the service. Reseption service was ok, nice people, but the internet in the lobby was all the week out of order, even if I asked about it at least twice. So we had a week`s internet break...maybe we needed that;) Then the waiters in Tulip ( the main)restaurant....well, we were a group of 4 women, aged 30 to 36 years...and yes, that really meant something.The young waiters (all men), aged about 20-40, most I think under 35, really "noticed" us. As we were eating, they came flirting, asked if we were married,gave "compliments", asked for a date etc. To each of us appeared at least one of these gigolos, and of course it was clear what they wanted....well, we did not need these "services" this guys offered, and we also made that clear to them. But anyway, we Finnish women were not used to this kind of behaviour while eating lunch, and neither did we like to get these kind of untrue"compliments" which only had one purpose in mind. So if you are a group of women and do not want these gigolos to be part of your lunch etc, I recommend that you tell them you are married- even if you are single. That should stop them, and of course "get lost" should work as well.
Yet, the rest of the personnel was ok, no "gigolo suggestions". Many of them were very friendly, they used phrases of the tourists`languages while speaking to them. Of course they also marketed the excursions they offered but that was all ok, did not bother us at all.

The pool area was big, there were actually 2 pool areas but we used only the bigger one, the main pool area. On the other hand, the beach was small and in the water there were some wooden stuff or other garbage floating in it. Not nice but the water itself was warm and quite clean. And yes, we did swim there many times and it was ok, altough not what we had expected.

As it was an all inclusive holiday, we spend most of the time in the hotel. Yet we visited twice Monastir centre and Sousse, both by taxi. Both are worth visiting, but the shopping in medina was a disappointment since we did`nt know how to barguin enough so in many cases we ended up paying more than the fixed prices in shopping centres. Luckily, in the hotel area in Monastir, and also in Monastir and Sousse centrum, there were shopping centers with fixed prices, and these prices were still cheap. We were also camel riding one day with our travel agency`s excursion, and enjoyed it.

So, we had a just wonderful holiday, it was definetely worth the cost! I can warmly recommend Hotel Skanes Beach to everyone who wants to relax and eat well, do some shopping, have a lazy holiday whiteout any stress:) And if some of you wants more action, that can be found in Monastir and Sousse- and of course in the various activitys the hotel offers itself. Just go for it! :D

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Soile125
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monastir
El Mouradi Club Kantaoui
#9 of 44 in Monastir
smartline Skanes Serail
smartline Skanes Serail
#10 of 44 in Monastir

Been to El Mouradi Skanes? Share your experiences!