“Not bad, but there are better hotels to choose”
Review of El Mouradi Skanes

El Mouradi Skanes
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Sesvete, Grad Zagreb, Croatia
“Not bad, but there are better hotels to choose”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I traveled with my 8 year old son and my friends, three of us stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks and this is my expirience:

ROOMS:
I heared that you have to give guy a tip to get a better room. I didn't give any tips, I got a room that's not near reception and I loved it, because I had peace from all the games, music, noise... and all the rooms are actually very close to the reception, you just have to go through the halls inside of the hotel, not outside. Rooms are big, bigger than in some other hotels, but some of them don't have balcony. Mine had small balcony with 2 chairs and table, it was ok.
You have hairdryer (slow) big closet, 3 mirrors (one big size to see yourself head to toe).

SERVICE/PEOPLE:
I didn't like that lots of them were talking arabic in front of me- to theirself... it sounded like they're saying something bad about me or God kows what, not a good feeling. My room service (the cleaner) was bad, she never gave us towels in time, came in without knocking etc...
+ THEY DON'T GIVE YOU SHAMPOO AND SHOWER GEL. They do once, at the beggining and that's it. So take your from home.

FOOD:
Food is good, lots of food in restaurants, but lots of crowd in restaurants too.. you have to take time to find a place or clean plate, sometimes we waited for clean cups for a long time...

ANIMATION:
Is ok, alltogether you can tell that people are doing their best, for kids there is ok programme but not all days so it's confusing, one day it's great, they're going on the pool and play and tomorrow there is no mini club because the lady that works in it has to rehearsal for the night show?!?! so I don't know about that... kids from Germany had differente mini club, I don't know why. Their was better in everything.

BEACH:
Total disaster. Tunisia has beautiful beaches... this is not one of them.
The beach is very small and dirty, and they don't even seem like they try to do anything with it.
That's why they have large pools I guess...

INTERNET:
No WI-FI. Internet you buy for 8 TD/ 1 hour and the connection is very slow and bad. You can go in Safari Bar (4 minutes walking) for free Wireless but you have to drink somethink so in the end it costs you the same.

HOW TO GET TO ANYWHERE:
You can go to Sousse or Monastir, it's very near and beautiful, have big medina...
To Sousse we took cab (taxi) cost us 5 TD. BUT my advice is to wait for their local bus (to Monastir I payed 0.8 TD and my son 0.4 TD so it's very very cheap)
bus station is right in front of the hotel, it goes in maybe every 20 minutes.
You can also use a white cab that takes lots of people with red colour on it, it will cost you probaby 1 TD per person. Also cheap. Faster than bus because it stops only where people who are in it tell him to, not on every station like bus.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Tunisia_in_my_heart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Picked up a last minute deal and yes we only paid £680 for the week for 2 so anyone who reads this needs to put this review into their own perspective. Flight was good and on time. This was our first flight from Doncaster and the airport was excellent. Prompt flight and prompt pick up to the hotel with a one hour transfer.
The hotel is large but the main areas inside appeared clean, and tidy. Simple prompt check in. Led to a room down a dark carpeted corridor with old yellow painted doors( unusual colours but not sure at this time of Tunisian decor). Room was very basic to say the least. Double bed with clean and crisp sheets. Old decor with chipped floor tiles (acceptable) old toilet and bathroom. Sink plug did not fit and sink did not drain. Shower adequate, No bugs seen. Mini fridge empty and switched off but we didn't use as the door didn't shut. TV no remote and the tube had gone so tv picture was 4 inches deep. Patio doors opened onto a filthy balcony with chairs that had never been cleaned. Our room over looked the next hotels air con unit and kitchens so it was very noisy. Air con was fine. Wehould have asked to move but coulnd't be bothered to repack as we were only there for a week. Recommend if you get this room ask to move.
Pool looked lovely but never used. We spent each day on the beach as this was our preference. Beach is small not like the picture advertsied on the website. 4-5rows of sunbeds then one row of beach sellers and the sea. Sea was warm but there was alot of seaweed to walk through to get in. There was no where to walk on the beaach.
And now the but:-
For the whole we spoke to 4 couples. 2 British who left part way through our week, one German couple and one Belgium couple who spoke English. For the last 4 days of our holiday we were the only British in this hotel and I believe this was why we did not enjoy our holiday. The hotel catered for mainly Russian and eastern europeans who had poor manners, and wasted food and this rubbed off on many of the staff who were quite ignorant towards us. Very few staff spoke adequate English to converse.
The food was appalling. This was not helped by the clientelle who pretty much ate everything on the same plate often making me feel sick at their choices. eg: cereal, yogurt and honey with fried tomatoes and egg on top YUK. As other people have said, breakfast bread rolls, pastries, some cereal and fried eggs etc if you were prepared to stand for 10 minutes to wait for the chef to reappear. Lunch was pizza. Everything else was covered in flies or dry.There was very little fruit at any time of the day and on most days at some time the hotel restaurant or bars ran out of fruit juices, lemonade, coke , water etc.
I suppose I shouldn't complain about the food as it appeared everyone but us were eating anything and everything in sight. Someone even took my husbands knife and fork off his dinner plate when he went to get a drink to eat their meal. BTW there is no where else to eat if you dont like the food. One bar a shop and a coffee shop all thats out of the hotel.
This hotel was classed as 5 stars 10 years ago and has not been updated since. The hotel has been designed to cater for Eastern europeans and definately not the English. It could be a beautiful hotel with some TLC. This is the first time I have ever wanted to come back from a holiday. My family recommended Tunisia due to a fabulous holiday they had but this was at El Kantoui in an Iberostar for the same price. If you go to this hotel here you have been warned.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Caroskev

Travelers are raving about these Monastir hotels

brits on holiday
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Arrived back 4th Aug 2012, just a one week stay.
Positives..... friendly staff, nice pools-quite large. One more lively where there is music and the animation/sports are held, the other quieter. Both area's have childrens pools. Beach is close,quite small though. As with many other countries lots of sellers on the beach, but they are not allowed to come up to where guests are, they have to stay near the sea. If you dont want to be hassled, dont get a sunbed at the front go to middle/back and you will be left in peace. Plenty of variety on the food front ( we found very similar to egypt), but remember you wont get fish and chips or bacon for breakfast, if you want that go to Benidorm. Snacks at pool bar are the same everyday..pizza, chips or baguettes, but great if you dont want to go into restaurant for a full lunch. We didn't watch the evening entertainment, but it appeared to be what you get at most all inclusives.

Negatives.
Hotel does need updating but our room was clean and made up daily.
We arrived at 1.20 am (exhausted) were not even offered a sandwich.
A lot of silly charges ie: 20 dt deposit for tv remote, 25dt for safe plus a daily rate., another deposit for towel service . You also have to pay each day should you want a mattress with your sunbed. So unless you want a back like an ironing board, most people pay this, not a huge charge around 40pence a day but I felt this was a bit of a con.
Water free at mealtimes, but you have to buy any further you may require.

We have travelled all around the world so we know , you get what you pay for. This wasn,t anything like a 5star in the caribbean, but for the money it cost it wasn't bad.We just wanted a quick break in the sun and that's what we got. Please remember though a lot of hotels in other countries have a 4 star rating, when by our standards they are nearer 3star.

This was a cheap holiday but enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank honeymooners031
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This holiday needs to be put in prospective. Booked on the web for my wife and I for a total of six hunders and eightyfive pounds sterling, the flight portion of the package was four hundred and twenty nine pounds. The transfers were a further twenty four. That leaves accomodation and all inclusive board for two hundred and thirty two pounds for the week.
So what do you get for your money:
The hotel was spotlessly clean and the staff helpful. This hotel as obviously built with more opulent clients in mind but has adopted the strategy of maximising volume especially from the Eastern Eurpoean Market. One figure given to us maintained that there were 1075 guests and only 30 British in our week in June the balance being Czech, Russians and Germans.
There are two large pools with the usual stacked sun beds. The first pool is between the main building and the sea. It is large with two distinct areas to either swim in or indulge in the organised activities of energetic Aqua Aerobics of Water Polo. The second pool is behind the new block to the right of the entry drive as you arrive. This is quieter with no piped music and no breeze to cool you off. Both pools are beautifully maintained as are the surrounding sun bathing areas.
Food. Here we get into uncertain ground. This will not be a gastronomic heaven. Simple standards are maintained. Usual continental breakfast faire sliced bread and rolls croissant, pain au chocolate, Fig, Apple and Apriciot jams ,cheese, local salami of SPAM consistancy boiled eggs , fried eggs to order and salad. Curiously some of last nights offerings also made an apearence but we did not sample that.
I cannot comment on lunch as we never took it in the main dinning room which by trhe way is not a place for the faint hearted when the doors open at 12pm. There was inveriably a massive queue who were not adverse to using elbows to make sure they were first to the grub.
We picked at the mini continental break served pool side from 10-11.30, fresh pizza made infront of you an a assortment of pasta dishes.
Evening meal served in the main dinning room again was again a pick and mix buffet. Safe to say there was sufficiant ot eat and in the main it was hot and had taste to it.
Evening entertainment was poor amusing in that it was so bad. So What to do in the evening.
Outside the hotel is a newly developed row of shops which consist of a sports shop selling flagrently copied designer labels, the equivilent of Claires/Accessorise a ladies bangles and bracelets a large souvenier/ supermarket and a rather nice coffee shop with terrace. Further up the road is another souvenier shop next to the Safari Bar/Resturant where we actually watched two England games during Euro 2102. (Bottle of Beer 3Dn, Pint 5Dn, Gin Tonic 8Dn - 2 and a half Dn to the Pound)
So all in all very pleasant mainly due to the 30+ degree weather. I would pay slightly more to improve the bar offering as Gin was not avaialble on the AI unless you paid for it after 6pm but other than that good value for money.
Also please note a deposit of 25Dn is required for your safe key and a 2 Dn a day charge, Towls requirea 10Dn Deposit and mattresses for the sunbeds are 2Dn each per day.
This was a cheap one week get away with no real hitches which goes down in my book as a success.

Room Tip: All sea facing rooms will expose you to the noise of the entertainment but only until 11pm.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank Mark H
North Wales, UK
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Just back from another visit to this hotel and had a wonderful holiday. Before I went I read reviews in case things had changed and I think people are crazy with their bad reviews and it definately was not a building site. The information on the hotel is acurate and the hotel is good value for money., The rooms are clean with everything working, all the staff were friendly, food good and plentiful ang good variety of beef, chicken, turkey, burgers occassionally, vegetables, salad etc with fresh bread at each meal. Also plenty of food available in snack bar from 10am with late breakfast and 12 o'clock - 4:30 with dinner & snacks. People who complain about no pork/bacon should not visit muslim countries! The animation team were also very good with plenty of activities if you wanted to participate in the day and varied entertainment in the evening. Just Sunshine rep, Mehdi, very good and helpful. Quad bike's good value for money, guy selling trips for them very trustworthy and holiday rep also recommended him. Boat trip guy, unlike what other people say, if told no politely leaves you alone. Only complaint is hotel is not wi-fi, which is not a major problem as it does have internet access or can get wi-fi in cafe accross the road.
Overall good value for money - I have travelled a lot to many diffeerent countries and I will go back here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank zeinab1
Torquay, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2012

rethink and ask for up to date photos.............
absoulute building site nothing to do and poorly advertised totally miss leading......
trust me go the houdi golf and beach club next door definatly will be good value for money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank Kylie T
london
Reviewed April 23, 2012

"Turn back! turn back!" - is what I felt like chanting to the crowds of 'fresh blood' that arrived each day, as in prologue I sympathised with them before they even got off the coach. However I bit my tongue at that point, for who knows, maybe it was just me that was having the bad experience? As I found out in the doomed days to come, we were all in the very same sinking ship I'm afraid...

Talking of sinking ships, the moment I arrived (as a new lamb to the slaughter) a bulky tunisian guy went through his repertoire of escapades and excursions, and the 2nd thing he was recommending was going out in a pirate ship in Sousse (the local town), I'm not sure how he hoped to sell me that one (with intent to jump into the sea) when it was pouring with rain. Anyway, avoid spending that nicely earned-first-day-holiday-money straight away, listen to them by all means but do the intelligent thing and have a think about it- other people (such as your holiday rep) may well have the same deal for a better price. They wont let you go unless you are pretty rude I'm afraid, not without a signature and a deposit. Anyway, let me get to the bones of this one as easily put as I can:

Value: I paid just £309 all inclusive for this 'four' star hotel, and all the pictures looked pretty lush. So to be fed, watered, sedated and transported for 7 days didn't raise the national debt, but I did regret going per se I'm afraid. As I will explain though, this hotel would only rate as two stars in my opinion - an opinion shared with everyone I spoke to.

Problems.

Food was worse than any bad Butlins. I haven't been to Prison (yet) but I wouldn't have thought it would be much worse there either. Everything buffet style, only one restaurant, and it was clear the food was from previous days - rolls, croissants all stale and hard, meats left to swelter in tandem with the cheese, very basic, very boring, and in the end I thought I'd simply make it atkins and elect to lose some weight. For example fried eggs/omlette in the morning, meat by day (they don't do - pulp fiction- 'dirty meat' - remember, as Muslims so no sausages, bacon, pork, but sadly no burgers either. When I finally found myself back at the airport there was a stampede of burger-hungry brits, chomping at the bit to get a Royal with Cheese in the 'Burgerhouse' in the terminal. Made me think that most of my fellow travellers had also been burger-starved for their week in paradiso, too. Beef is not a dirty meat so why this couldn't be in any of the buffets must only be a cost-related thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a macky-dee's freak but you do get sick of 2 day old spag bol, pasta, and battered turkey for 7 days. I knew where this stampede was coming from. They could use at least one other restaurant. I avoided the salads due to the tap water there, they would no doubt wash it down with this which leads to gandhi's revenge syndrome. On balance though, service was generally with a smile and I didnt see any evidence of flies or other uncleanliness in that buffet room.

the locals: I'm afraid everything is just one big scam for this culture, apart from an exceptional few (the girls in the gym/wellbeing/massage downstairs, and the animation guys near the pool) everyone and I mean everyone is out for a tip no matter what. I understood that the normal wage was only about £7 a day for most menial workers, so perhaps you can understand that, but I tipped probably 200 TD (c.£100) and it didnt get me in any better position than I would have been. Everything is how can they scam us? From the porter at the airport to even the concierge cashier person - WARNING - you give him £20 and he will give you 40 TD in exchange and then time delay himself by some 10 seconds, many of us walk away at that point, thinking, hmm, 2 is 1 here so that's the deal done. In fact look at your receipt and its 48 TD to £20. Go back and he pays you the outstanding 8 TD (£4). He must have done this to me 3 times before I realised. My bad I suppose but be careful... To the jeweller in reception. Knowing how much gold is worth here now, his gold (which really does look 9 plated) seemed good, when I got a chain down from about £150 to about £70, but I got close with someone "on the inside" who kindly told me the shocking truth is the entire lot is gold PLATED. He was angry when I said this to him, demanding who had told me this (they would have been sacked had I of said). He will tell you he has 9ct, 18 and 24. all BS. its plated, he refused me an acid test. Say no more. It didnt stop there I'm afraid, who has ever been to a golf course? spoken to the pro? many of you probably. You dont expect the hard sell on a £250 round accompanied by a pro when you just fancy a fun 9 holes on your own, but he'll leave you feeling pretty ugly for not having taken him up on his deal. It goes on and on, from waiter, to the guy on the beach who asks you what his (fake) £2 coin is worth in the hope you give him 4 TD. Noone will leave you alone unless you are with one of their own. I guess this is rather like Morroco.

the drinks:

Some positive news, the Tunisians make their own wine so their house red and white (on A.I) is not just pallatable but pretty nice. The beer is good, the vodka and whisky actually taste like their duty-free counterparts and you can see brand names. They do have a 'happy hour' in which they give you things like Jim Bean, JD etc. and also some lethal cocktails. I wasn't dissappointed on the alcohol side of things. Coffee and tea available always and good stuff. They got that right. But I didnt go just to be drunk all the time, did I?

the rooms:

air con didn't work. Bed was uncomfortable, sheet may have been something that Anne Frank once sported at night, you cant call it a sheet or a duvet really, just an itchy thing. I now know where the term "blows hot and cold comes from" - it comes from El Mouradi, Skanes, it must have been coined there, somewhere in room 316 under the shower. If it wasn't it should have been. I elected to cleanse generally with the quickest few drips under that then into the pool, where one can rest assured the chloride should kill any other infestation on your skin. The TV requires payment for the remote, and all channels in foreign, my TV then broke. They did have major football on downstairs in English, a saving grace twice. The room is simply good to get your head down if you are tanked enough. Its not pleasant. It isnt quiet either if you want an early night in readiness for an excursion. Now this will sound unlucky but the only (super) cockroach I saw happened upon my hotel room. As long as a cigarette box I actually heard its scuttles. I didnt see any others which was weird, but I had to scoop it out the room onto the landing and then squish it. The one bath I had was ok but rust coloured. Towels ok but dont take them anywhere (like the pool) or you will be charged. Safe in room costs money.

the complex/pools

As entitled, the pool photo's are really not what they are in the goggles of life. Also too cold even in the blistering sun. There is a side bar that gives pizza only. Table service demands tips. The animation team outside seemed to help make some peoples holidays more fun and didnt want anything in return, well not of a currency. One of the reps seemed to have a fling with a girl of questionable age and lichtenstein descent. Perhaps that's their payload (no pun intended). Indoor pool is nice for cooling down and I do recommend the massage, skin peeling, jacuzzi, steam room and algaetherapy. I even had a cut-throat-blade shave for the first time. Watch out when you buy the package though as they will invariably do a deal. Incidentally, this should really be free for the most part (esp. the gym) but isn't - they claim they aren't related to the hotel. There are two bars. both like an airport. unfriendly and vast in nature. somewhere that is A.I should really have a selection of different bars. They have american pool and arcade machines straight out of the 80's (i.e street fighter, tekken 1, robocop, neo geo, streets of rage, gauntlet, felt like some nostalgia there). They do karaoke downstairs on a select few nights but stop at 11pm (just as one may be getting suitably warmed up for such an embarassing experience) so get in there quick if you want the time to give out autographs afterwards. Not sure about what the kids had to do, there seemed to be a clown and some games but understand I am not recommending anyone really go to this place, ever.

the beach

Disgusting. The photo's lie. I would say 12 foot of sand to the dirty part of the med. I've seen the med in all it's beauty believe me but they had a direct sewage pipe going from hotel to sea, even in what was, I guess, a pretty cold time of the year, better you than me getting in there. I did see a paraglider who seemed to be having fun, but none of the del-boy type miami jet ski's I'd hoped for - if there was one I may well have hoped that the steering was also jammed so I could get the hell out of dodgeville! There are millions of sandflies in the little sand there is, all ready to bite you, I'm told. they then urinate in the bite, I'm also told. Add to that super ants, who bite you like bees as they die immediately. I was fortunate enough not to be bitten but my firends got hit by mozzi's too - I didnt see any of those.

the people

50% german, 40% french I'd say. French is the sub-dominant language there along with Arabic. Generally a nice bunch staying there I have to say. I met some friends (I hope for life) there who really cheered up things. As I say, we were in the same sinking ship and had to laugh or we would cry. Much love to Mel and Derek.

Sousse itself:

A culture shock. You feel like you stand out and because of this you are ushered by anyone wanting a deal. Having said that I entered a nice restaurant and had a glorious fresh fish 3 course meal for about £15 with half a bottle of wine. The only con there was I chose fish of the day which was listed as 7 TD per 100g. How was I to know the fish would weigh 4 times this amount? Well presented though and anyone would do well to eat out in Sousse as opposed to this hotel. It felt quite cosmopolitan there too. Although I'd say the majority of shops all have stolen fakes in terms of the sports wear and brand names. Thats just how it is there. Didnd go to Monastir. PS: it should be no more than 6 TD to go to sousse in taxi from hotel, yet they will try 20 TD on you first. I took a quirky bus one day for just 1 TD but with an unclaimed sports holdall on the floor and a guy nervously looking to press the send button on an old Nokia 3310 I soon said "stop the bus please driver".

summary:

One thing I didnt mention is the nice couples i met out here, it really is a couples 'break-away' at best, and if you are looking to test the first holiday of your relationship, have a low budget with below minus expectations on food and hostelry, and you get a spanking good price, fill your boots. Just dont expect anything than the worst. I hadn't seen anyone visibly complain until the moment I left (you may be reading this if you know who you are!) they wanted to be relocated and were complaining about the VILE FOOD - as they put it - and the terrible rudeness of staff - I didnt receive the latter but then again I tipped well, too well I think.

NB: The excursions are, a day at the zoo (rained that day) and then a shaka-zulu experience in an african restaurant, about £35, a 2 day excursion to where star wars filmed tattoine in the sahara, sounded cool but sand is sand and 2 days is a long journey when you wanna chill. The pirate ship, about £40, where you dive out to sea and eat on the boat, and some quad biking which I heard was good. Golf club opposite seemed ok if you are going for that. Oh and I recommend a cafe called west side at Tollers (just over the road) for a mixed grill for about £7 which made eating enjoyable again whenever I went there. Other than that, you are stuck in the middle of nowhere with whoever you are with as very VERY close company - make sure you take cards or other games you can play in your boredom. I actually became a sudoku master in my time there so got something out of it. The golf is a staggering £60 for 18 holes, double it would be in the UK. NB2: the weather was a mixture of rain or blistering heat the type that just makes you red, funny kind of sun there. A bit like the shower it blows hot and scold.

Hope this covers everything.

Pat, London. UK

Stayed April 2012, travelled alone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
13 Thank pestrick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monastir
Regency Hotel and Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,889 reviews
Delphin El Habib
Delphin El Habib
#14 of 43 in Monastir

Been to El Mouradi Skanes? Share your experiences!