“Lovely family holiday”

Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Inverness
“Lovely family holiday”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our family had gone to Skanes family resort for two weeks at half term holidays in October 2013. We were dreading going on holiday as probably read too many reviews. Only to find that most of them were very negative for no reason. Well the comments about Thomson evening entertainment were true, it was truly was utter rubbish!
On arrival we received a fantastic reception, greeted with a refreshing non-alcohol cocktail. Our room allocation was given very quickly as with our luggage taken to our room.
We had an interconnecting room, and would have to say, that if you have a family it is well worth paying for the extra space. Our room had a queen bed, which was very comfy and the kids room had two singles. Both rooms were a mirror image of each other except the beds.
Our vue was if the pool and the sea.
Didn't see anyone use their swim up pool, what a waste. Glad I never booked that type of room as the other pools and beach are great.
All meals were generally good, they had themed nights every night in the restaurant, which was great. There is also another restaurant that you can book a table, we never tried it as were happy with the main restaurant. There was a lovely waiter called "Ben" who delivered a great service to my family and relatives.
We all had a tummy upset of some kind, but only lasted a couple of days. I had a bite or something on my heal that I had to go to doctor in hotel, ended up with injections.
The beach was lovely with a great snack bar, and excellent service.
The pool was excellent, spent most of the time at the pool with the water slides, these turned out to be a godsend to our holiday. My children are 7 &10 yrs old, they tried the Thomson Kids club, but "they felt too old for?!" The club was more geared up for 5yr olds. Thomson reps have a little dance every afternoon around the pool, the kids loved that.
There is quieter pool nearer the beach entrance.
Thomson evening entertainment was very poor, I couldn't put my finger on it at first but soon realised what it was, it was simply the energy around the entertainment team didn't exist!
I have never experienced this from a Thomson holiday, as always have enjoyed it in the past in various countries.
Ali Babba is a bit of a pain, but means well. We tried all his excursions, great value for money, especially the pirate boat trip.

Hotel is very secluded, you can also feel that it's too much hassle to leave the hotel.
There is a noddy train every day. Beware of the taxi's, the fare can vary and you do feel you could get ripped off easily, but you really have to haggle. If you book a taxi via reception be careful as you will get ripped off! Same with the little shops in the hotel.
Also, make sure you check your money when exchanging, and get a receipt.

The staff are very friendly, helpful and make the hotel a good experience.

Room Tip: Upgrade to interconnecting rooms if you can. Pay about 10 dinar for a taxi to sousse or monistir. C...
10 Thank Tracy S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Went to Skanes Family Resort half term week Oct 2013 for my sons 13th Birthday the whole holiday was so enjoyable.The hotel was spotless the rooms clean.Food choice was very good.Staff friendly the reps always took the time to have a chat which was nice as some of the holidays I been on the reps don't bother.The beach was lovely just the place to relax then there was the pools my son enjoyed them with the water slides.We have been to other family villages but I have to say this was the best by far.On my sons Birthday 31st oct at the evening meal he had a lovely birthday cake made by the Restaurant staff even with his name on made his day not forgetting his mates he made who also joined us .Im really pleased I didn't take to much notice of some of the bad reviews regarding this hotel Just a big thank you for a lovely holiday we will be going back

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank J T
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Our family of four, including 7 and 5 year old children, stayed at the Skanes Family Resort for Half Term and had a fabulous time.

The food on offer in the main restaurant was excellent and varied - with a different theme each night. Our children appreciated the children's buffet which regularly included favourites such as fish, burger and pasta whilst we loved the extensive range of both savoury and sweet options on offer. The restaurant staff were all very friendly and helpful but we were particularly well looked after by Ali and Salem who were always so welcoming and attentive. We'd also like to say a big thank you to the kitchen staff who were behind the scenes - we loved the food you provided.

Our children declared this their best holiday ever and particularly enjoyed the kids club, T Time Live and the pools. It's great to be able to swap between the activity pool with its slides and music to the quite pool with gently sloping base where the children were happy to swim and play for ages. We particularly liked the bar at the quiet pool where Raof was a pleasure to speak to - he was always so polite and considerate and made the best coffee in the resort - he is a real asset to the hotel.

We found the hotel was very clean and tidy with cleaners and gardeners constantly attending to the public areas. The revamped reception and lobby bar was a lovely area to sit with some pre dinner drinks and we enjoyed sampling the cocktails on offer.

Our room had a separate area for the children's bed and a balcony. We were pleased the hotel provided a free safe in the room and we made use of this. Wifi was also free, although the signal in the room was weak and it was too slow to stream any programmes - one area where the hotel could consider improving their service. TV in the room had some English speaking channels although didn't end up watching it much as were out of the room so much.

We also enjoyed a game of tennis and kayaking - both free. There was an area for Archery too although we didn't see any activity organised. Possibly a few more "non organised' activities would be nice e.g putting/crazy golf especially if you were staying for 2 weeks.

The hotel closed for winter at the end of our weeks stay and wasn't too busy whilst we were there which meant plenty of sun beds and not too crowded. We were glad all the services, such as kids club stayed running right up to the last Saturday.

There is a metro station about 5 minutes walk outside the hotel and if you ask at reception they will helpfully provide a copy of the timetable. We visited Monastir and Sousse and it was very cheap (few dinars for return trip for four). We also took the Noddy Train from Sousse to Port el Kantaoui but would recommend you only get a single ticket. Each Noddy train is a specific colour and you can only use the return on that colour and the return timings seem random with potentially long waits.

Overall we had a great holiday and would definitely consider returning in the future.

Room Tip: Garden facing rooms are quieter.
5 Thank MON834
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We booked last minute so got a good deal. I'm glad we didn't pay full price as, although the hotel has the potential to be excellent, it's not there yet and certainly not 4* +.
Like another Trip Advisor post explains, I was sexually assaulted whilst at this hotel. The Thomson's reps were next to useless and a traumatic experience was made worse by their lack of care and support. The main resort staff were contacted by my father from back in the UK. They too promised support but this never came.
I have contacted the UK complaints department on numerous occasions and been fobbed off, promised emails and calls that never came. Not once did the reps. seek me out to check I was OK/ coping. All the information I got had to be chased up be myself, including finding out by chance that I was due in court in Monastir on my last day. Not even a note under my door!
The irony is that if I'd hurt myself or suffered an illness caused by staff at the hotel I WOULD have been both supported and compensated. In effect our family holiday was ruined and I am continuing to suffer as a result of a serious crime.
I can categorically state that I will never travel with this company again due to the appalling customer care and understanding.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank Bryony S
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed here with my daughter, her partner and my 4 year old grand daughter for a week in October.
The transfer time from the airport was an hour and the areas we travelled through were quite rough, so we didn't really know what to expect, however when we arrived at the resort we were pleasantly surprised.
The resort is an overall great place for families. Plenty to do for all the family. The staff are very friendly and the bars and restaurants have plenty of choice. Lovely views day and night.
We stayed in a room spread over two floors, very spacious and clean. Wifi was a bit dodgy at times though.
The resort has great pools and water slides, with afternoon entertainment, there is also a quiet pool if you just want to relax and we never had any trouble getting sun beds.
The beach is lovely and again no problem with getting beds, the staff will sweep them off and lay down your towel, and plenty to do, jet skis available to hire, kayaks are free and camel and horse rides to name just a few, beware of the locals wandering up and down selling things, just be firm and they will leave you alone.
We went on Ali babas trip out to sea, had a great time on board, it was great value for money, we got to see dolphins, had a swim in the sea and lunch was included, highly recommended.

We had a fantastic holiday and would go back to the resort.

Room Tip: Something to bare in mind......Swim up rooms are a great idea but we hardly ever seen anyone using t...
2 Thank Marie N
Banstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Just been here for Half term with my family 2 adults 2 kids aged 6 and 8. Overall this is a good family resort, geared up for mainly families with very young kids, lots of baby eqiupment seemed to be available throughout. The hotel was quiet this week and plenty of space on the sun loungers/ beach etc. The restaurant was the same, so no queue to eat etc. The food was generally good with plenty on offer. There is always the basic chips, pizza and pasta for those who are not adventurous and a good selection of all kinds of cuisine for others. I haven't experienced many other all inclusive resorts so maybe my opinion is naive, however the down side to this kind of place is that it could feel like you are holiday-ing with the masses and all doing the same thing at the same time! I had the slight feeling that i was in Ikea on a busy week-end getting my food, eating quickly then getting out as soon as we could. In the busy summer months i'm sure this would be terrible. The rooms and general areas were all kept clean and tidy, the beds are big but very uncomfortable, they need to address the bathrooms, the shower screens don't have the watertight strip at the bottom and the shower has to be held by hand if you don't want to wet everything in sight. The plumbing and tiling is poorly finished but this doesn't really effect the overall stay but if this hotel is being classes as a 4*+ BY Thomson then it needs to be addressed. The staff are all very helpful including the reps, the kids liked the clubs for them but we didn't do much of the evening stuff so can't really comment on this. The spa is nice too, i had a package treatment, hammam, scrub, massage etc, which was great. Tunisia is a bit of a mess, you do see a lot of watse, etc you will be hassled by the locals as soon as you step off the plane to take your bags etc, say no ,they want money for everything, also be hard with the beach sellers, get a good price they charge way to much! Haggle as much as you dare!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mandb401
Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Where do I start, when you arrive at the airport their are porter guys, they push to take your suitcase 20 foot and want 2/3 dinar, as you have arrived and is a closed currency then you have none and then they only want notes, however I knew of this and we said no, we then got onto the coach for the drive, this took abut 1 hour, I was expecting a few shocks as we are out of the EU but not expecting to see armed police at each round about with big guns, this really scared me, however we had no issues and arrived at the hotel, we were then greeted and the porter takes your luggage to your room whilst your being booked in, the also had a cocktail their and food laid on, you are then obliged to give the porter a tip, however we had no dinar so I quickly went to reception for some, I changed £20 and the exchange rate board was off, the bloke gave me 45 dinar, however a few days later I realised they had short changed me so watch out, I cant remember his name as it was first night and we just wanted to sleep. The slides are absolutely fantastic, it is slippy round the pool and they need a bridge over the pool to the bar. The lifeguards are ones to watch not just with girls but with elders, I am 36 and they looked at me, I felt uncomfortable but just ignored them. You will see this I guarantee if there the same guys. The Thomson reps, Jamie, Danni, Minty, Charlotte and Sam are all great, I was however impressed with Jamie, Dannie and MInty, what lovely people and so good with the kids, however I don't think any are returning next year, the bar men some can be a little funny I felt with women, as though we shouldn't be having a beer, but call the men boss, this aggravated me but I just told them and also on occasions told them to smile. The breakfast wasn't the best, and yes some may say your in their country so deal with it, sorry no, any Brit wants at least decent beans, however we told the guest service manager as she was asking us for feedback. The dinners and teas where great though, something for everyone. there are some amaing staff there and they are so friendly. We had money stolen around £44.00 from our room, we reported this and it was dealt with straight away, they can tell who goes in your room with the key card security, it was the cleaner who went in my bag, she had left that day and they will not re employ her. The guest service manager Dorethy was superb, she couldn't repay the money but gave us a free meal in the steakhouse and late check out which was good. Evenings are great for kids, I have an 8 yr old and 12, my 12 year old found it a little childish but she hung around with friends made but my boy loved it. It was Jamie who made it for him, the broadway show was our fav, my husband hates anything like that and was impressed, he very much warmed to this. My title is what I have to mention, nothing to do with the hotel but we went to monister and got stuck in traffic as a suicide bomber kind of thing had tried to kill himself near some coffin but police got him and then their was a suicide bomber in sousse not far away who tried to get into a hotel and hadn't managed to but he went on the beach and blew himself up. At this point I wanted to leave, as I say not the hotels fault but it made me realise where I was, what a shame as this may put people off going. I wont return but loved the hotel. Going the market is a shocker, by far the pushiest people I have ever met, my hubby can manage himself though and managed to get converse for 10.00 and beats for a 10.00. As I say this hotel is great apart from the few bit mentioned, I do feel their will be improvements next year though. The aiport was a nightmare coming home as security was upped due to the suicide attackers, it took ages.

Tips: Tell the aiport porters no, watch for your money changed and how much you get, watch the money in your room, don't run round the slippy pool, ignore the pervy lifeguards.

If anyone would want to ask me anything let me know through here.

Would I return to Tunisia, no, this hotel in another place yes. We had a fab time but was put off by the attackers (this was on sky news to not help things)

Thanks for reading and I hope th hotel take comments on board.

Thanks to Jamie, Minty, Danni etc.. & Dorethy for sorting our stolen money issue ..

Room Tip: Swim up rooms, half are in the shade all day, I wouldn't bother.
12 Thank Sharon4715