“Overall great resort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Monastir
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Overall great resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed here with my daughter, her partner and my 4 year old grand daughter for a week in October.
The transfer time from the airport was an hour and the areas we travelled through were quite rough, so we didn't really know what to expect, however when we arrived at the resort we were pleasantly surprised.
The resort is an overall great place for families. Plenty to do for all the family. The staff are very friendly and the bars and restaurants have plenty of choice. Lovely views day and night.
We stayed in a room spread over two floors, very spacious and clean. Wifi was a bit dodgy at times though.
The resort has great pools and water slides, with afternoon entertainment, there is also a quiet pool if you just want to relax and we never had any trouble getting sun beds.
The beach is lovely and again no problem with getting beds, the staff will sweep them off and lay down your towel, and plenty to do, jet skis available to hire, kayaks are free and camel and horse rides to name just a few, beware of the locals wandering up and down selling things, just be firm and they will leave you alone.
We went on Ali babas trip out to sea, had a great time on board, it was great value for money, we got to see dolphins, had a swim in the sea and lunch was included, highly recommended.

We had a fantastic holiday and would go back to the resort.

Room Tip: Something to bare in mind......Swim up rooms are a great idea but we hardly ever seen anyone using t...
2 Thank Marie N

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Banstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Just been here for Half term with my family 2 adults 2 kids aged 6 and 8. Overall this is a good family resort, geared up for mainly families with very young kids, lots of baby eqiupment seemed to be available throughout. The hotel was quiet this week and plenty of space on the sun loungers/ beach etc. The restaurant was the same, so no queue to eat etc. The food was generally good with plenty on offer. There is always the basic chips, pizza and pasta for those who are not adventurous and a good selection of all kinds of cuisine for others. I haven't experienced many other all inclusive resorts so maybe my opinion is naive, however the down side to this kind of place is that it could feel like you are holiday-ing with the masses and all doing the same thing at the same time! I had the slight feeling that i was in Ikea on a busy week-end getting my food, eating quickly then getting out as soon as we could. In the busy summer months i'm sure this would be terrible. The rooms and general areas were all kept clean and tidy, the beds are big but very uncomfortable, they need to address the bathrooms, the shower screens don't have the watertight strip at the bottom and the shower has to be held by hand if you don't want to wet everything in sight. The plumbing and tiling is poorly finished but this doesn't really effect the overall stay but if this hotel is being classes as a 4*+ BY Thomson then it needs to be addressed. The staff are all very helpful including the reps, the kids liked the clubs for them but we didn't do much of the evening stuff so can't really comment on this. The spa is nice too, i had a package treatment, hammam, scrub, massage etc, which was great. Tunisia is a bit of a mess, you do see a lot of watse, etc you will be hassled by the locals as soon as you step off the plane to take your bags etc, say no ,they want money for everything, also be hard with the beach sellers, get a good price they charge way to much! Haggle as much as you dare!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mandb401
Anglesey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Where do I start, when you arrive at the airport their are porter guys, they push to take your suitcase 20 foot and want 2/3 dinar, as you have arrived and is a closed currency then you have none and then they only want notes, however I knew of this and we said no, we then got onto the coach for the drive, this took abut 1 hour, I was expecting a few shocks as we are out of the EU but not expecting to see armed police at each round about with big guns, this really scared me, however we had no issues and arrived at the hotel, we were then greeted and the porter takes your luggage to your room whilst your being booked in, the also had a cocktail their and food laid on, you are then obliged to give the porter a tip, however we had no dinar so I quickly went to reception for some, I changed £20 and the exchange rate board was off, the bloke gave me 45 dinar, however a few days later I realised they had short changed me so watch out, I cant remember his name as it was first night and we just wanted to sleep. The slides are absolutely fantastic, it is slippy round the pool and they need a bridge over the pool to the bar. The lifeguards are ones to watch not just with girls but with elders, I am 36 and they looked at me, I felt uncomfortable but just ignored them. You will see this I guarantee if there the same guys. The Thomson reps, Jamie, Danni, Minty, Charlotte and Sam are all great, I was however impressed with Jamie, Dannie and MInty, what lovely people and so good with the kids, however I don't think any are returning next year, the bar men some can be a little funny I felt with women, as though we shouldn't be having a beer, but call the men boss, this aggravated me but I just told them and also on occasions told them to smile. The breakfast wasn't the best, and yes some may say your in their country so deal with it, sorry no, any Brit wants at least decent beans, however we told the guest service manager as she was asking us for feedback. The dinners and teas where great though, something for everyone. there are some amaing staff there and they are so friendly. We had money stolen around £44.00 from our room, we reported this and it was dealt with straight away, they can tell who goes in your room with the key card security, it was the cleaner who went in my bag, she had left that day and they will not re employ her. The guest service manager Dorethy was superb, she couldn't repay the money but gave us a free meal in the steakhouse and late check out which was good. Evenings are great for kids, I have an 8 yr old and 12, my 12 year old found it a little childish but she hung around with friends made but my boy loved it. It was Jamie who made it for him, the broadway show was our fav, my husband hates anything like that and was impressed, he very much warmed to this. My title is what I have to mention, nothing to do with the hotel but we went to monister and got stuck in traffic as a suicide bomber kind of thing had tried to kill himself near some coffin but police got him and then their was a suicide bomber in sousse not far away who tried to get into a hotel and hadn't managed to but he went on the beach and blew himself up. At this point I wanted to leave, as I say not the hotels fault but it made me realise where I was, what a shame as this may put people off going. I wont return but loved the hotel. Going the market is a shocker, by far the pushiest people I have ever met, my hubby can manage himself though and managed to get converse for 10.00 and beats for a 10.00. As I say this hotel is great apart from the few bit mentioned, I do feel their will be improvements next year though. The aiport was a nightmare coming home as security was upped due to the suicide attackers, it took ages.

Tips: Tell the aiport porters no, watch for your money changed and how much you get, watch the money in your room, don't run round the slippy pool, ignore the pervy lifeguards.

If anyone would want to ask me anything let me know through here.

Would I return to Tunisia, no, this hotel in another place yes. We had a fab time but was put off by the attackers (this was on sky news to not help things)

Thanks for reading and I hope th hotel take comments on board.

Thanks to Jamie, Minty, Danni etc.. & Dorethy for sorting our stolen money issue ..

Room Tip: Swim up rooms, half are in the shade all day, I wouldn't bother.
12 Thank Sharon4715
Midland, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

The staff were amazing! Nothing was to much for them for to do for you. I changed rooms due to the noise levels from other families as I was on ground floor and Suoad the receptionist was a diamond helping any way she could to see it was a smooth transfer. The hotel walls are thin, we could hear next door walking up their stair and hear their conversations all throughout.
The waiters were great, so helpful and welcoming. The food was better than I thought too. I thought the menus were varied and tasty. I went with my 3 children 2 of whom are very fussy and they ate well also.
The finish of the tiles in the bathroom and on the floor were not to a 4/5 star rating (in my opinion) however this was just a little bug bear of mine as I don't like seeing grime in between tiles.
We did do an excursion with Ali Babba, he was pushy however the excursion was value for money.
Be prepared for locals in the hotel who want to make money, I found some nice but pushy ie the guy doing the photos was full on, we expected to take a few photos but ended up being there for over an hour and it was not as cheap as I thought it would be as he took almost a 100 (literally)
I found the wifi was very weak unless you stayed in the lobby but I guess that is a good thing to save you been connected to the outside as you're on holiday and when I did get wifi it was so poor I had to keep reconnecting it.
Overall the holiday was great - staff, cleanliness and friendliness were second to none.

2 Thank Shan M
Cheadle, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Duration of stay: 2 weeks 20/10/13 to 03/11/13.
Returned yesterday from a fun packed fortnight.The hotel itself is comfortable and kept clean to a reasonable standard, I think you have to take into consideration it's a family hotel and therefore children are sometimes not the tidiest! Empty plates, cups and glasses were collected regularly poolside and the waiters in the restaurants keep your tables clear pretty well. The pool itself was a bit cold, but not enough to put anyone off from going in or using the slides. The food was excellent and varied for the full 2 weeks at all sittings, my two children have never ate so well before!This is definitely not the place to come if you are a childless couple looking for a romantic break, it does have a quiet pool, which does stay peaceful for the majority of the time, but obviously there are families with children who make up the vast majority of the guests. The entertainment team absolutely made the holiday for the children and parents alike, even when you saw them 'off duty' they had time for the children and were always cheerful, friendly and helpful. Minty, Jazzy Jamie, Diva Danni, Vicky Mouse and Jolly Jen were head and shoulders above the rest of a very professional team, with Minty way out on top as the children's favorite. Team leader Sam also deserves a mention, because although she is predominantly behind the scenes, she is always there to help and is very well respected by the rest of her team. The shows in the evening by the Thompson team were excellent for both kids and adults, they put a 100% into everything and it pays dividends! I would definitely recommend this holiday to families with children of all ages, the hotel and beach are both safe and secure, and with the exception of a couple of miserable barman, the staff were all cheerful and child friendly.

Room Tip: the duplex rooms are very spacious, but be wary of the staircase, it's very steep. it does have...
3 Thank Richard B
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Good family hotel and all the staff try really hard. Their efforts didnt go amiss. Couldnt complain about the food, lamb cutlets, steak, chicken, veal on offer. I went with my 12 yr old son and whilst he is at a Very difficult age - there really wasnt anything geared for him. I think the hotel would suit families with children under the age of 10. My son would have loved a computer with access to the internet where he could play games. Would strongly recommend a console games room as this would go down well. The pool was clean and I loved the fact that the hotel was on the beach. Yes there are loads of flying insects and yes I was covered in bites despite the sprays etc. but thats no reflection on the hotel standards. Its not luxurious but a good value family complex. The hotel reception staff were excellent and arranged a taxi for us to eat out in Port el Kantaoui on sat night and another taxi to Sousse one day in the week. The gym was unbearable because it lacked any air-condtioning. I thought I was going to die but silly me trying to run at 34oC. The room was spacious and clean - I did have to wipe out the cupboard shelving though :-( and I loved the English film chanel :-) but unfortunately the bed was rock hard - after 2 days of crippling back pain I resorted to sleeping ontop of the blow up lilo and duvet. Whilst I have been going to Tunisia for the last 15 years - I shall not be returning. Why you ask? Cause the airport was a complete nightmare - there is civil unrest in the this country and therefore staff shortages at the airport. 5 flights all came in at once with only one person on passport control for each plane - hence the great delays (2hrs to be precise) in a hot country that you have just arrived in - with no access to water or no food. Im surprised there hasnt been a riot there!!!! Then on our return, we were still trying to get through passport control with only 10 minutes until our plane departed - but the staff had no concerns because unknown to us - they were going on strike as soon as we were all on our plane - anoter 3 hour delay. Plus I had no time to get my duty free Chanel - so I was really majorily p***ed off. Sorry Tunisia - I was in love with you for over 15 years but my experience of how you treat your visitors at the airport was the final straw and our love affair has ended with not so fond memories :-(
Thomson - I do not buy the excuse that you knew nothing about it - This has been going on for several weeks therefore as a minimum you should advise your customers so that at least we are informed and therefore better prepared. Thomson you should be liasing with the Tunisian airport so that some beverages are provided when we arrive at the airport -

Room Tip: Ask for a room on by the quiet pool :-)
2 Thank Opulence
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

me and my husband has just returned from the skanes family resort we travelled as a couple with no children from the 20th-27th october,when we arrived there we wernt looking forward to getting through the airport due to past experiences with passport control,but we got through with no problems what so ever and straight onto out transfer bus and that left straight away so far so good,when we arrived at the skanes family resort hotel it was just before midnight we were checked in very quickly and shown to the restaurant where there was some salad available for a snack but no soup,our room was ok on the ground floor facing the slides pool room 4023 the room didnt get cleaned very well, but that didnt really bother us as they are not there to run around after us but was a bit dissapointed that we had to go and find the room maid to get clean towels before been able to take a shower,when using the shower it soaks all the bathroom floor as it runs under the shower screen and had no plug for the bath ,the beds were terrible hard and lumpy but these were just minor problems that wouldnt spoil your holiday ,the food was ok everyone else seemed to enjoy it but we didnt but we are picky eaters but the soups are nice and bread buns,i would like to make everyone aware of some of the recption staff , twice we were short changed once getting our money changed from english to denars and secondly on keeping our room on for extra checkout time until six ,dont not ask reception to book you a taxi they will get you a price and just get a passing buy one to come and pick you up we ended up paying 20 denears each way for to go to sousse but he didnt take us there he took us to all his friends and familys shops not in sousse when getting back we told the rep who did try her hardest to get this sorted but the hotel reception staff did not want to know, so if you want a taxi go to the main gates and get one out there and you wil get it much cheaper,the entertainment on a night time was great when done by the reps and entertainment staff they all worked very hard we really enjoyed the pantomime and the broadway show well done to them all, and a special mention to charlotte the rep who always took the time to speak she is a credit to the hotel,alibaba who does the trips never really bothered us he always seemed to target the families,the photographer seemed to do the same the only occassion he asked us we told him we were a photographer at home and he soon left us alone ,the man who served at the bar at the quiet pool was great always friendly and always brung you drinks over and never expected a tip the lad who does the towls and keeps the water away from pool side was also great and friendly also the staff at the restaurant right at the very bottom past the food all in all we had a good holiday but still a lot of work needs to be done to the hotel and they need to sort a lot of the staffs attitude out.

Room Tip: what we seen of the swim up rooms they were only about a meter deep and the sun isnt on them much ne...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple