“Another fantastic stay”

Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Wigan
“Another fantastic stay”
Reviewed July 22, 2007

We arrived at the Sahara Beach quite late and was offered cold drink whilst we filled out our registration forms, after doing this we where handed our keys and went to our rooms these where adjoining with a door in the middle as we where travelling as a group of four girls. The porter brought our cases up shortly after.

The hotel is huge set in fantastic gardens and right on the beach with a mini zoo for the children, there are 3 outside pools and an indoor one depending on what you want from the pool there are pools that are relaxing and pools that have something going on all the time, a total of 8 bars, and a fantastic disco, as well as a pizzeria, snacks are served out doors by the pool and a superb restaurant where the main meals are served, The meals are varied with a plentiful choice for everyone. Even picky eaters like myself you can even watch them make you fresh pizza.

At the start of your stay you are assigned a table of your own to have your meals, but be warned you may have to share with other people there are 2 sides to the restaurant, an all inclusive side and a half board side the food is the same on both sides, you must try the omelettes for breakfast these are delicious I don’t think I have managed to eat a full one yet.

The hotel spotlessly clean, from the gardens to the rooms, the staff work tirelessly for next to nothing and are very cheerful and helpful they are perhaps the friendliest people I have ever met and I have travelled to most places.

The Entertainment is excellent and these guys work very very hard to put on the nightly shows such as the river dance and grease, I have never seen such fantastic entertainment in any hotel before, during the day there is a kids club, I cant pass comment on this because we are all above the age of 18 but they looked like they where having fun.

There are shops in the hotel so if you didn’t want to leave the hotel you don’t need to but I would recommend going to sousse and in to the medina and a worthwhile trip is to Port El Kantoui, please arrange a price with the taxi driver before the start of your journey or ask for the taxi meter.

This hotel is only classed as a 3 star, I would give it a higher grade as I have stayed at some gawd awful places that where classed as 4star.

We love this hotel and have been here 4 times this year already we would never dream of staying somewhere else, the staff are friendly, the food is good with a varied choice, the rooms small yet adequate and the beach is beautiful.

A few Tips..

Dont pay for expensive transferes a taxi to the hotel from the airport costs 10 dinars.

Always agree a price for your taxi before getting in.

Visit Port el Kantoui its lovely.

Have fun !!!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Having to come home
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dizzi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
leigh-on-sea
Reviewed July 21, 2007

This was my second time staying at this hotel, the last being march 2006. We arrived to pouring rain, which was not a good start, but i was confident the good weather would arrive. The hotel itself is just a 10 minute transfer from the airport. Skanes is not a resort as such, you cannot walk from hotel to hotel, it is a man made resort for large hotel complexes, so if you like small hotels do not come here.
There are 3 builings, only 2 of which are used in the winter months. The third is opened in the summer, and is where the germans stay, so in a way we are all kept apart in the summer!! The hotel has 3 indoor bars and 3 outdoor bars, 1 only opens in summer. there are 3 outdoor pools and 1 indoor pool. There is a nightclub on site for the over 16's but this is not part of the all inclusive deal. The bedrooms are bright and airy, all are facing the sea. there is no power shower in the bathroom, just the bog standard shower attatchment. The rooms were always cleaned, although the loo could have done with a swirl of bleach each day, because toward the end of the day the smell was rather strong. There are loads of tennis courts and there is a five-a-side pitch, mini golf, horseriding, a small zoo, and many more activities. The entertainment staff are great, really help to make that holiday special.
I loved the food, but most were complaing, you will not see "real" sausages and bacon in the morning, and you won't see burgers and hot dog, what you do get is freshly prepared food, such as casseroles, fresh meat etc, lovely salad, pasta. Fresly cooked in front of your is 1 dish per day as well as pizza, and pancakes. snacks are from 12-5 and are pizza, salad, chips, fresh burgers, a special kebab, and rolls.
The drinks are good and water is given in bottles. The entertainment was not as good this year, but it was still worth watching. the hotel has its own kids club, which has 2 sessions per day. I only had one gripe for the whole holiday, and that is being hassled by the stall holders on the way to the dining room. overall the holiday was brilliant, was sad to leave the weather was not as good as last year, i say go toward the end of march for the good weather. will definately go again. Lastly please note that although its al inclisive, and you are not obliged to tip, i reccommend you do, they are all poorly paid, i gave out about £2 in total per day in tips, which is not much, but to see their faces its woth it, i also left the equvilent of £5 for the maid, which he was overjoyed about.

• Liked — Modern, traditional, great food
  • Disliked — stall holders
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Cayo Coco, Cuba
Reviewed July 20, 2007

horrible place i went for a week with my husband and three daughters,three days into our holiday i got food poisoning in which it spoilt our stay.thewaiters were all men no women to be seen only the ones who cleaned the toilets,the waiter who served our table at night time would not leave my 16 year old alone which made her very fed up,all the local men were the same .the food was awfull except if you like eggs,eggs and more eggs,never again back to ibiza next time i think.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — male staff,food,no where to shop
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank michelleNottingham

Travelers are raving about these Monastir hotels

Solihull, West Midlands
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Firstly if you are going to stay at this Hotel cancel your coach transfer with your Tour Operator and take a taxi from the airport to the hotel it is only £4.00 and five minutes away.

On arriving at the Hotel, we found the Reception Staff very helpful and pleasant. You have to have your photograph taken to receive your All Inclusive Card, which you have to present to bar staff and waiters whenever you want a drink. We did not find this a problem but there was only two of us, could become a bit of a chore if with a big party of people.

The rooms were very small but clean and yes the showers are hand held but again this was not a problem.

Now lets talk about the food AWFUL, I have been to Tunisia 7 times and this was the worst food I have ever had. The Dining Room is like a school canteen and because there was only 2 of us we had to share our table with another couple and let me tell you the tables are not very big. A bit embarassing for both parties trying to make idle chit chat with strangers. Most of the food was luke warm, the salad selection is very poor, but if you like pizza and chips you will be ok. We ate out on the last two nights not what you really want to do when you have paid for an all inclusive. As for the Pizzeria which is where you can take an alternative meal once during your stay, dont bother, they bring the food from the main restaurant. There are steaks etc.. on the menu but you have to pay for these.

The beach and pools are very nice, we found the beach snack bar and the main pool bar very dirty, but the bar by the relaxation pool is the best and very clean. We had no problems with any of the staff and found them all friendly and polite.

We went for a quiet relaxing holiday and that is what we got. The Animation Team work very hard, although we did not go to any of the shows as it is not our scene. It was very windy whilst we were there and it was quite cold on the evenings although very hot during the day. Take a jumper just is case.

I would say this hotel is a 2 Star, although we had a pleasant stay I would not go back as the food was a big let down.

• Liked — Cleanliness of room
  • Disliked — The restaurant and the food, AWFUL
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank blondie-1967
Scotland
Reviewed July 16, 2007

We (Husband, myself, 13yr old and 11yr old) were looking forward to 2 weeks in the sun. We were not disappointed, the weather was fantastic. two of the days it reached 48c. On our third day there our daughter took ill and was visited by the doctor from the clinic, he diagnosed sun stroke (I did too). He gave her medicine and the next day she seemed fine. The day after that she was ill again and the Doc realised that it was her appendix. He organised the nurse to take us to hospital in Sousse ( where she was admitted) and waited to take my husband and son back to the hotel. I stayed with my daughter and the hospital was great. Her appendix was removed the next morning (at the time they said it would) and the attention they gave her was fantastic, most spoke english. We were able to go back to the hotel the next day with no hassle at all. The doctor and the nurse at the clinic took over her care for the rest of our stay and were brilliant. Although we didn't get out and about much we had a good time and found everything fine especially the pool areas. The man that cleaned our room was a gem and left it spotless every day. Food was basic but we certainly didn't starve, there was always something we could have. I'm sure we would have has a ball if our daughter hadn't taken ill but I applaud all the staff and the medics for their care and attention. Thank god we were insured.....TAKE HEED.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank jamieScotland
manchester
Reviewed July 10, 2007

Right where should I start!!!! I booked this holiday in 2006, after fancying this hotel for 2 years. I then read the reviews and thought 'oh my god what have I done'. So we were very wary when it finally came to our holiday. The hotel is classed as a 3 star. We have stayed in some really dodgy hotels and we have stayed in some top class hotels, this is an average 3 star. Yes it is a litte tired and shabby looking but as has been mentioned Iberostar are refurbing the hotel after the summer season of 2008, apparently, and Tunisian standards are NOt the same as English!! When you arrive you have to have your photo taken for your ID card which you have to keep with you at all times, which isn't really a problem as you can buy a neck band (kind of thing you hang you mobile off round you neck) from one of the little shops/stalls for about a quid. Yes it is a pain that you can only get one drink per card, but hey thats their rules, and there are some half board guests there too, so I suppose its so that it cant be taken advantage of... or just take acouple of cards at a time.....The gardens and pool areas are great, clean, well kept and safe for your children in my opinion. 3 pools and a baby pool. Entatinment pool (not really for small kids, quite deep all over), lagoon pool (fantastic, graduated, safe) and the relaxation pool which is set on a higher level with water falling down a waterfall into the lagoon pool. We did feel that we missed out on a lot of the daytime entertainment as you are so far away from the entertainment pool if you sit at the baby pool or lagoon pool, and nothing does on in these pools only the kids club activities.We have a boy 13, girl 9, and boy 5, and the youngest was very happy to splash about on his own in the lagoon pool because it didnt come above his chest until about 15 feet out. There are plenty of beds to sit on right by the pool so if you are watching they are never in danger. No brollys around the pool though, so choose a shady spot and not near the waterfall tunnel as there is no wind there and it gets baking hot!! Or you can buy a brolly from the shop. Beach is lovely although I did find it wasn't very clean, with security who shoo those annoying sellers away from you, which I thought was great. 2 pool bars and a beach bar which also serves food 12-5. Chicken shawarma kebab is out of this world!!!! Also spicy spaghetti!!!! There is also an outside stage with a bar which is apparently open in high season, there was talk of opening it when we were there at the beginning of june, but we had 3 rainy days in the 2 weeks we were there and the staff wouldn't chance it. Other than that the entertainment is in the Skanes Bar at night and if you dont get there for about 7.15-7.40 you aint getting a seat!!!!! This was a huge bind as one of you has to sit at the table while the other took the kids off to entertain them until the kids club at 8.30-9. You then have another half hour wait until the evening entertainment starts, too late if you have children in my opinion. There is a piano bar and the 24 hour bar and thats it..... The animation staff work their backsides off though, and some of the shows were quite funny. But it did get a bit boring after 2 weeks of sitting in the same room night after night, watching the same kind of shows. If you have kids you cant really sit in the other bars as there is nothing for them to do, so you are stuck really. We were lucky and met other people so our kids played together, and we never saw our eldest, he had loads of friends!!! We had interconnecting rooms which were a bit on the small side, but at the end of the day you only sleep and shower in them so what exactly do you need?? Yes the showers were a pain, we realised after a week all ours needed was tightening up at the hook on the wall and it worked fine after that. They werent the cleanest of bathrooms, but Tunisia isn't clean!! I always take a pack of flash wipes anyway!!!No t.v.......... didnt bother us as much as we thought it would, we were not in our room long enough to watch t.v.. Cleaners are very ignorant to the fact the you are actually still sleeping at 6.45am when they are cleaning rooms above you. Towles do not dry you, would advise take your own for the room( if you can get it in case) Doors are very thin, didnt have a problem with walls, andthe noise of the planes does not disturb you, I am very light sleeper and di not disturb me.Our kids decided to go the kids club 3 days before we went home and then they loved it, runs from 10-12 then 3-5 and the animation team are great with the kids, they have them doing all sorts in a massive cool room or take them for walks on the beach or games outside or pool activities If you go all inclusive you have to walk down commercial street 3 times a day for food (if you choose to eat in the restaraunt at lunch and tea). This is very annoying as this is where all the shops are, and they mither the life out of you!!!!! when you go into the restaraunt and when you come out. We found that a VERY firm but polite 'no thankyou' did the trick. We did get bombarded by the camel caravan man and gave in, in the end. The trip from the rep is about the same price and I would suggest maybe going on that one, although our camel trip was great fun, it was probably the cheaper version, as it tends to be if you dont go with the rep!!! The reception staff were very helpful on quite a few occasions, and I was very wary about the Tunisian men but was happily surprised, they were very pleasent and friendly, especially with the kids, and very helpful. Yes they could be a little abrupt but that is just their way and they werent rude. Take the noddy train into Monastir, you get to see loads more of the sites but make sure you are not late for the return journey cause the driver will just go without you, he did it to us, we were about 2 mins late and he just went and we had to get taxis back.
Crazy golf was good fun, go karts, family bikes for hire, loads of tenis courts, archery, boules, football, the zoo is an eye opener, give it a go is all I will say, just dont expect too much, and take a bottle of water in with you, there is a kids playground and they will want to stay all day. I will finish with the food,,,,,, breakfast was very limited, cereals( not much choice), yoghurt, cheese, ham, olives, bread, croisannts, chocolate filled pastries, toast, jam, marmalade. pancakes( my kids lived off these every day for brekkie) boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, freshly made ommlettes, lentils, chick peas, beans(not bakedbeans) tomatoes, occasionally bacon, occasionally sausages which were disgusting, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, fruit juices........ Lunch: soup, bread, cold meat, cheese, lots of salads, chips, pasta and sauce, fish, chicken, veal stew, beefstew, pork, pizza, ommlettes, vegetables were a bit limited, but there was something everyday, and always something being cooked fresh on the griddle......... Tea time::: pretty much the same as lunch but with more variety, we had fresh mussels twice on our stay, and roast beef and yourkshire pudding with mash twice, and the chicken salad is gorgeous. The tunisians make a lot of stews and casseroletype dishes, but to be honest, we are quite fussy and we found something to eat every single day, yes it does get repetitive, but thats the thing with all incl, whether you are in a 2 star or 5 star+, theres only so much variety they can produce...... On the whole we didint have a horrendous 2 weeks, but we didnt have the best 2 weeks either. I have been told sincewecame home that to find anywhere decent in Tunisia you have to go 4 star and above. But atthe end of the day you get what you pay for, and I dont this this is a bad hotel I just this it needs a shake up. For our budget this hotel suited us fine, and I would go back once it has had its refurb just for the pools, grounds and beach alone.

• Liked — Pools, beach, sun, safe
  • Disliked — cleanliness, nothing nearby
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank flojko
England
Reviewed July 8, 2007

We stayed here for a week 24th June-1st July 07. We wanted a cheap week away for relaxing and sunshine.
Tip - you will be given a visa card on the plane before you land, ensure you fill this in correctly or will be "told off" by the passport controllers. Keep the 2nd part for your return journey as they will ask for it as you leave. Also, you can only take 10 dinars out of the country so make sure you change any left over money or they will make you go and change it and queue up again.
The hotel itself was huge - 1400 rooms! Check-in wasn't the quickest, you will have to wait around to have your picture taken for your all inclusive cards.
Rooms were small but clean, beds ok, bathroom adequate - no complaints at all. Cleaner was helpful, polite and did a good job. Tip between 4-10 dinars every other day. Beware that you will be expected to tip for EVERYTHING. Your suitcases will be whipped from underneath you as soon as you land and they demand money to give you them back.
The restaurant was massive, we had to share a table with another couple but they put you with people of the same nationality. Lots of choice for vegetarians, omlettes cooked to order, good salad selection and waiting staff excellent.
Beach was clean and you don't get bothered too much by sellers. Sea was nice and cooling - we had a heatwave for most of the week and the beach bar was fab as it had mist sprinklers.
We did a couple of excursions - El Djem (great for history), African Dream (trip to safari park & Zulu dancing, fab time) and a trip on a pirate ship......this was full of Russians hogging the top deck and it was like a feeding frenzy when food was served. I wouldn't bother going on the boat trip...nothing to see, food awful and everyone smells of coconut!
We enjoyed our stay, good for families and for doing nothing. We probably won't be going back to Tunisia as we prefer being able to snorkel but it's definatley worth going for a week away.
Remember, you get what you pay for and this is a good three star hotel. You won't get A la Carte food, 5 star treatment but for the people who were really negative I think they were being overally harsh and picky.

• Liked — Good selection of food
  • Disliked — Too many children
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple