“Some people don't know what they are talking about”

Sahara Beach Aquapark Resort
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Northallerton, United Kingdom
“Some people don't know what they are talking about”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have no idea what some people are writing about this hotel. I am holidaying at the Sahara Beach hotel as I am writing this review. The hotel itself is very clean, yes the rooms are smaller than you would expect, but are perfectly adequate for your needs, also they are cleaned to high standard every day. The food is really good and plentiful ((of course we are in North Africa so do not expect a full English breakfast ) and as per the previous review, do you really want to be eating after midnight? normal everyday folk don't. All the staff are really pleasant and helpful and really hardworking, and of course that should be rewarded with a tip. Tipping is part of the culture over here, this is how they supplement their very low income. My advice bad service don't tip. This holiday cost £900 for four people , for us the value is amazing. I really would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank dogtosca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
notts
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We arrived on the 29 dec 2013 for a week break for new year, a group of four ,me my wife and a friend and his wife ,we booked through thomas cook who said this hotel was fantastic ........ sounds great yeah ??? noooooo ..... far from it, now the facts, we arrived at check in,Straight away was told the water park was closed, THANK YOU THOMAS COOK WHO SAID IT WAS OPEN , went to our rooms to find it very dirty , our friends had a filthy bathroom with a bad smell and had to go find a cleaner to clean the rooms, The all inclusive ends at midnight so be prepared to pay for anything ordered after that, the food was ok but we was soon put off , on the second day, it was someones birthday all the staff picked up plates and cutlery and started banging makins a fair old noise marching about for about 5 mins which wasnt a problem until when they finished they returned all the handled crockery knives n forkes to the counter for people to eat off .... DISGUSTING......a few people complained which went on deaf ears, new years eve party was good but was spoilet when we was paying for drinks ( eg NAMED BRANDED VODKA AND BEER ) as this wasnt part of all inclusive, and they where still serving us the all inclusive cheap house vodka and beer ... we was not happy and found out they were doing it to others to, to top it off everybody who attended the new year party was left a pot with 5 hand made sweets in each room as a gift to take home which was a very nice surprise until when we was packing to come home most of them had been stoled by our very nice cleaner and she did the same to our friends....... The entertainment was really poor something for 10yr olds and under. this hotel is a very noisy hotel with people shouting at 4AM most nights , now the good bits pool area was very nice beach was very nice its just a shame about the hotel, most of the staff were friendly to, but be warned ( VERY NOISY, UNCLEAN , POOR HYGIENE,CLEANER THAT STEALS AND BE PREPARED TO TIP FOR EVERYTHING, )

Room Tip: You can pay extra on arrival for a room upgrade
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank simon q
hsbqt, Quality Manager at Sahara Beach Aquapark Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Guest
Thanks for chosen sahara beach hotel as your accommodation and taking time share your comments with us .
kindly be informed that in our brochure all the informations was mentioned, the aqua park is open from May till 31 October, and the all inclusive package include the local drinks till midnight.
Your comments regarding the room and the noise has been noted by us . kindly assure that we'll take action to improve this in the future.
As we have done concerning the rooms, by adding a new a monthly room check by an external auditor with the efforts of our quality team .
We want to explain for you that in the new years party , as the other guest have done you can have fo free your drinks as mentioned in the all inclusive package just we have add an extra stand with different kinds of drinks " optional choice "..
We’ll share your comments with staff

On the other hand,we were delighted to read that your appreciate our pools and beach

We looking forward for your next visit ,
Best Regards
Quality Manager, Myriam
hotel@saharabeach.com.tn

Travelers are raving about these Monastir hotels

Reviewed January 5, 2014

stayed here in 2012 and really enjoyed our stay, weather wasnt great for teh last few days but the all inclusive bar and food helped, excellent golf course near by - Palm Links. restaurant, bar and reception staff very polite, entertainment team were a good laugh. only down side was the 'hassling' from the stall situated on the way to the restaurant everyday but this wasnt a holiday wrecking experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Carl O
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I will not suggest to you all to ignore other reviews because that would be stupid ,but please read this.
Stayed here christmas 2012-13 and have now recovered enough to write a review.
Travelled with my hubby and three kids , have travelled loads to many places so I know what to expect from a 3+ (This is what we were sold it as) ,was not that cheap either.
Rooms filthy , smoke stains and smells. Towels not changes regularly and even then still smelly.
Indoor pool , a health hazard! Had to use it because it was too cold for the kids in the outdoor pools. My young daughter got a serious skin rash from it.
Food hall, pretty grotty and food selection basic and then there is the walk along the smokers alley from the reception to the dining hall, where the male staff can leer at women and girls.
Bar staff rude unless tipped, actually everybody working there was expecting tips, even for giving directions to the toilet or bar etc. who were all these blokes in hotel uniforms anyway?
My son found dead cat near the pool , lots of strays milling about .
Undernourished horses too .
Beach is littered with ciggy buts, kids were churning loads of them up when digging .
Having men cleaning the rooms was fine but some of them were a bit leery and a couple of them asked my son to get them coffee from the bar knowing he was an all inclusive guest.
The rep we had was useless and really never did her job and wasn't very easy to get a hold after she knew we were unhappy.
This holiday was bad and was a bad reflection on Tunisia, for us anyway and we would never go back, we tried to fly home but the flights were full. Eventually we got the head rep to get us a move to a Rui hotel in another resort , which was in a different class and we really enjoyed our last 5 days there.
If you have children or teenaged daughters I would think twice about going here if you are torn by the varying reviews, we read the reviews and chose incorrectly.
Compensation claim put in and we got some money back but it didn't make up for this.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank TMG44
hsbqt, Quality Manager at Sahara Beach Aquapark Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Guest
Your comments regarding the room has been noted by us . kindly be assure that we have add a new a monthly room check by an external auditor with the efforts of our quality team .
Concenring the indoor pool , a daily control is done by our maintenance staff and our two hygienists, Also a Monthly analysis is done,
our aim is the safety of our guests.
All your observations were shared with our staff who are taking the necessary steps to improve our services.
Best regards,
Quality Manager, Myriam
hotel@saharabeach.com.tn
Rhyl, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

we stayed here from the 4th - 18th december. and when we arrived the holiday from hell started.

when we got to are hotel rooms that were a joining on the 5th floor the door that led out on the balcony does not lock,so we had to pull over a single bed to block the door, because we add small children

the beach was dangerous and dirty, i found an old drinks can crushed and rusty with sharp edges buried in the sand,and broken glass so please be careful were you are walking.
also me and a friend went out in the sea on a kayak but did last to long because we got covered in little bits of wood the sea was dirty and this was also on the beach.

in the restaurant you are given a table on your first night and that is your table for your stay, but we got moved because there were ants all over the table after 4 days of being there. all i could eat was cheese on toast for breakfast,and chips for the other 2 meals,although i did try noodles done in a wok but they were swimming in oil.

the kids club was shut nothing for the kids to do in the day time and the enterainment in the evening was crap you would get more enjoyment watching paint dry

dont listen to the thomas cook rep she is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, we tried to book a trip with her and she told us that if the coach was not full we would be going to different hotels until they fill the coach up which could take 2-30 hrs there and the same back 5 hrs on a coach is not great with bored kids.....but another family went on the same trip and said it was great they didnt do what the rep said....they went straight there coach half empty.

the water park was closed,that closed 28th october, but thomas cook who sold us this holiday did say that every thing would be open

the indoor pool was luke warm and that was the only pool you could use as the out door ones were freezing. there is only 1 changing room which could only fit one person at a time in so you had to go back to your hotel room to get changed,

and if you leave your hotel room in the afternoon please dont make any noise as the o.a.p's will come out and tell you to be quite as they are trying to sleep at 5-20pm it was like staying in an old folks home.

SO PLEASE TAKE A GOOD BOOK TO READ TO ENTERTAIN YOURSELFS

hope this helps you

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank John F
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Book a trip by the rep turn up on time she said and guess what she got the time wrong so wasted day trip she book us on same trip for next door got time right no one told it it been cancelled till we ask say around waiting a hour tried to get hold of the rep guess what her day off number she left was for the main office could not do anything about said see her in the morning we was flying out early so no chance of that as she only awake lat afternoon all this after her saying call me 24 7 I live in the hotel and I come straight down to sort out any problem still lesson learnt I be filling out the report on the plane hoildays ok rep crap

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank C1067k
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I'm a bit late with this review as I went end of Aug. I never write reviews but feel I have to as I have read so many negative comments.
My 4 year old daughter and I went here for a week, I was on a budget and told the travel agent I wanted a family friendly hotel, I wasn't expected much for the price I paid and once I read the reviews on here I was unsure what to expect.
The hotel may be basic but it is very clean. The staff were lovely and very helpful, they were aware that I was on my own and couldn't do more for me. As a young woman, on her own with a small child I felt very comfortable and at ease there.
The food was nice, although I think if someone is fussy they would struggle. I really liked the special Tunisian dishes. If you don't fancy anything they made lovely fresh baked pizzas. Even my 3 year old managed to eat a good variety of food during our stay.
The entertainment staff work hard, during the day and at night. The night entertainment is watchable, I really enjoyed the Michael Jackson show and the lion king. My daughter loved the discos before the main entertainment started. Once the entertainment finished there is the piano bar that's open for a little longer for a late drink.
The beach was lovely and there is a nice boat restaurant where I enjoyed a nice meal with another family, it's not in with the all inclusive but it's a atmosphere and a lovely view.
My daughter went to to Thomas Cook kids club once a day which she absolutely loved, the kids club staff were fab and put on some brilliant groups for the kids.
It's a bit of a pain to get a sunbed in the morning (isn't it everywhere), luckily I met a family who saved me a bed but I seen the staff would always try and find one or get some out where they were stored if someone needed a bed. The pools were great, and the aqua park was amazing.
My room was basic but clean and comfortable. I was right above reception and slept well each night.
I don't know what people are moaning at, it's a cheap and very cheerful holiday. If you want 5* then book 5*. I had a very lovely stay there and it was much nicer than I was expecting. I would recommend it to any one in my position.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family