“oap retreat in the winter”

Sahara Beach Aquapark Resort
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Reviewed January 2, 2014

we stayed here from the 4th - 18th december. and when we arrived the holiday from hell started.

when we got to are hotel rooms that were a joining on the 5th floor the door that led out on the balcony does not lock,so we had to pull over a single bed to block the door, because we add small children

the beach was dangerous and dirty, i found an old drinks can crushed and rusty with sharp edges buried in the sand,and broken glass so please be careful were you are walking.
also me and a friend went out in the sea on a kayak but did last to long because we got covered in little bits of wood the sea was dirty and this was also on the beach.

in the restaurant you are given a table on your first night and that is your table for your stay, but we got moved because there were ants all over the table after 4 days of being there. all i could eat was cheese on toast for breakfast,and chips for the other 2 meals,although i did try noodles done in a wok but they were swimming in oil.

the kids club was shut nothing for the kids to do in the day time and the enterainment in the evening was crap you would get more enjoyment watching paint dry

dont listen to the thomas cook rep she is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, we tried to book a trip with her and she told us that if the coach was not full we would be going to different hotels until they fill the coach up which could take 2-30 hrs there and the same back 5 hrs on a coach is not great with bored kids.....but another family went on the same trip and said it was great they didnt do what the rep said....they went straight there coach half empty.

the water park was closed,that closed 28th october, but thomas cook who sold us this holiday did say that every thing would be open

the indoor pool was luke warm and that was the only pool you could use as the out door ones were freezing. there is only 1 changing room which could only fit one person at a time in so you had to go back to your hotel room to get changed,

and if you leave your hotel room in the afternoon please dont make any noise as the o.a.p's will come out and tell you to be quite as they are trying to sleep at 5-20pm it was like staying in an old folks home.

SO PLEASE TAKE A GOOD BOOK TO READ TO ENTERTAIN YOURSELFS

hope this helps you

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank John F

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Book a trip by the rep turn up on time she said and guess what she got the time wrong so wasted day trip she book us on same trip for next door got time right no one told it it been cancelled till we ask say around waiting a hour tried to get hold of the rep guess what her day off number she left was for the main office could not do anything about said see her in the morning we was flying out early so no chance of that as she only awake lat afternoon all this after her saying call me 24 7 I live in the hotel and I come straight down to sort out any problem still lesson learnt I be filling out the report on the plane hoildays ok rep crap

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank C1067k
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I'm a bit late with this review as I went end of Aug. I never write reviews but feel I have to as I have read so many negative comments.
My 4 year old daughter and I went here for a week, I was on a budget and told the travel agent I wanted a family friendly hotel, I wasn't expected much for the price I paid and once I read the reviews on here I was unsure what to expect.
The hotel may be basic but it is very clean. The staff were lovely and very helpful, they were aware that I was on my own and couldn't do more for me. As a young woman, on her own with a small child I felt very comfortable and at ease there.
The food was nice, although I think if someone is fussy they would struggle. I really liked the special Tunisian dishes. If you don't fancy anything they made lovely fresh baked pizzas. Even my 3 year old managed to eat a good variety of food during our stay.
The entertainment staff work hard, during the day and at night. The night entertainment is watchable, I really enjoyed the Michael Jackson show and the lion king. My daughter loved the discos before the main entertainment started. Once the entertainment finished there is the piano bar that's open for a little longer for a late drink.
The beach was lovely and there is a nice boat restaurant where I enjoyed a nice meal with another family, it's not in with the all inclusive but it's a atmosphere and a lovely view.
My daughter went to to Thomas Cook kids club once a day which she absolutely loved, the kids club staff were fab and put on some brilliant groups for the kids.
It's a bit of a pain to get a sunbed in the morning (isn't it everywhere), luckily I met a family who saved me a bed but I seen the staff would always try and find one or get some out where they were stored if someone needed a bed. The pools were great, and the aqua park was amazing.
My room was basic but clean and comfortable. I was right above reception and slept well each night.
I don't know what people are moaning at, it's a cheap and very cheerful holiday. If you want 5* then book 5*. I had a very lovely stay there and it was much nicer than I was expecting. I would recommend it to any one in my position.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Lady_Thompson_15
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a week at sahara beach resort tunisia 18th to 25th
We arrived at night so could not tell the look of the hotel we where shown straight to are room which was like a large shoe box no tv or hair dryer just the three B's bath bed bog
To tired to complain after flight and a long drive from airport about 1 hour
Went to restaurant for something to eat and it was just what was expected not much of a choice
Next morning we woke opened the doors to a great view from the sixth floor three very big pools / water park white sandy beach / blue sea
this made up for the room
as the we look at it you don't go on holiday to stay in your room
Later in week found out all best rooms are on the seventh floor
So off to the pool lots of staff running around cleaning I think at one point there must have been more staff than guests in the hotel
Later found out that all the cleaning was all because and safety rep was having a walk round
Two of the three pool bars were closed the water park was closed the animation team didn't do a lot apart form sit the the hut and play music
Lots of family's not happy
Three days into the holiday some family's wanted to be moved out to other hotels the Thomas Cook rep had a lot to put with ( lots of abuse )
but fair play she got it sorted and I'd like to say it was better without them well done marina
Not much out side hotel you need to take a taxi or get the noddy train to go into town
Inside there are some shops not much
So there's my good and bad points of the sahara beach hotel
Good points
Great pools / nice indoor pool / nice beach / friendly staff
Bad points
Rooms not up to much / Water park closed / pool bars closed / bars in hotel old and dated / all staff want tipping / if take a walk on the beach you get hassled by locals selling fags

After a week the Christmas dinner was the best we have ever been to the hotel Pulled out all the stops and gave everyone a great night
Thanks to all the staff
So in my eyes you get what you pay for
but this hotel could do with up dating

Top tip when you arrive ask for a room on the seventh floor
Don't go into town

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We went in December and was expecting to have a little bit of entertainment. never saw the entertainment staff till the evenings when they came round to sell bingo tickets entertainment was none existing till people with children complained and holiday reps checking out the hotel asked us to fill in a questionaire never seen the entertainment staff run around so quick to ask people to say entertainment was good. The hotel, well the rooms are a bit on the small side there were supposed to be three of us travelling but only two went, good job to as could hardly move with the third bed in the room if there had been another person we would have had to walk on the beds as no floor room for three people(adults) There was supposed to be hairdryers in room but none to be seen our rep Marina got me one to lone whilst there my life savour.
Its not 24hr bar they closed at midnight
No television not even a television room that you could watch a film in English they had a television in the games room which was in German.
Food was passable but they had plenty of chips (LOL)
Staff were friendly enough but why oh why do they always beg for your money, I know they get poor wages but don't they realise if they just got on with it they would get a bigger tip at end of the stay.
Shops in hotel are expensive so a trip into Sousse to the Government shop was the best thing we did, catch the local bus its less than a dinar each way where you would have to pay around 15dinars each way.
I did feel sorry for the family's with children as there was nothing for them to do! and DONT go over Christmas it's full of locals and they don't know how to wait in line for food they were like Gannets.
I was never so happy to be going home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If more than a couple forget it, rooms are very small three in there you cant move
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed here with my two children (10 and 11) and my boyfriend. The aqua park was nice and very to our liking. The pools and beach were lovely and not that far. I partically liked the choice of pools as there are a lot. I also visited the Spa with the 10 year old girl and it was very nice but quite expensive as we only had a pedicure. Nothing special really and wasn't worth our 40 dinar each. My 11 year old son spent most days in the game rooms which was a bit of a waste. We had buffet every night but two. We went to a resturant inside the campus on the one night and the next night we went to a mexican place. The mexican place was very close although I cannot remember the name as I stayed a few months back. The mexican place was not very nice, very wet meals and my partners meal was plain. My kids although liked it however they only had tortilla and chicken. The resturant was very nice and tasty. The food buffet was very normal, I wanted to try new foods but there were only cornflakes and pizzas and things. Very plain. Besides all of that the rooms were nice and clean and I would recommend to family's with children aged to about 6-16. Do not go if you are expecting a get away from kids or family because there are a lot of children and a lot of family. If you are bringing a small child there is a small aqua park for them but that is pretty much it. My family and I went in August 2013 in the summer which was great. Nice weather and nice staff.

Room Tip: Superior is bigger and nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bethan M
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Was sold this holiday by Thomas cook as an all year round resort god were they wrong
The water park shuts on the 28th October at this hotel bear in mind I spoke to the agent who sold this to Me on the 19th nov who confirmed it was still open
The hotel was ok there wasn't much to do in the winter in regards to the childrens a lot of people/families were being moved out to other hotels all there was a Ping pong table and a giant connect 4 which was removed half way through as the children were too noisy with this game
Wasn't much variety for food for the children but the adults menu was average had a good selection of cakes and 3 different ice cream flavour
The shops are really expensive and try to charge you more than its worth so haggle they will come down a lot
Maintenance all over the hotel
Beach is lovely however once again watch the hagglers they will try and make u by there stuff they can't approach u so don't walk there way as they think that you are going to them
The rep is a shock honestly no help at all and won't take any responsibility of your holiday
Booked a family room but had got a shocking standard room so had to pay to up
Grade would advise to book superior all the way in this hotel the others are literally a bed and a bath
I would recommend the African dream day trip as this was fantastic for both adults and children don't be put off by the rep saying don't go out

Room Tip: Superior all the way
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family