“Marmite! Honest Review”

Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Marmite! Honest Review”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Now I do review nearly every hotel and place I visit in here to help other people make an informed choice about where to go however this hotel is one of the hardest Ive had to rate......
I visited the hotel for a week 23/6 with my daughter whos 10 and my friend with her 5 year old twins and boy and a girl
Good Points.
Most! thats most of the staff are very very very helpful pleasant and do not expect tips however the odd one or 2 (ie the pool man/beach sun bed man near the animation pool and one of the conciege did, just ignore then and carry on your holiday)

Beach is lovely and sandy

Animation team do a great job and the kids just loved the Thomas Cook kids club.... this would make me go back as they had a super time!!!!!

Water slides lots to do and the evening entertainment isnt bad.

Yes to be the best of the best sun bed you have to be up around 7 but we got sun beds at lunch time on our 1st day and ones on the beach after 10 so if your picky about your exact location yes get up early

Bad
Only 1 socked in the rooms which in some rooms if about 6ft up the wall

Very Very noisey!!! I had a kids screaming accross the corridor day and night for over 3 day floor 1 and also next door to me loud music and being very intimate on a evening which wasnt great when you daughter was only next door! but some people have no respect on others and should be on jeremy kyle!!

I am never ever ever ill and have visited romote areas over the years and can say i felt dodgy all week and one evening meal found a ant in the chicken this was fresh from the kitchen the patio door wasnt open so cant comment where it came from. However on telling the rep the manager came to see me and did he best to make us feel special.

Would I go again???? yes if it was cheap say 300-400 each other than that I would go elsewhere but Tunisia is a lovely country so do try it I have been a few times now

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Purcell1105
hsbqt, Quality Manager at Sahara Beach Aquapark Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay
Rest assured that your invaluable feedback is important to ensure that we continually deliver the ultimate experience is renowned for and exceed your expectations for future visits. At the same time, I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations.
I have noted your feedback regarding the food incident you have experienced during your stay . Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused.
best regards
Quality Manager, Myriam
hotel@saharabeach.com.tn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just got back from 2 weeks here and I can honestly say I'm so relieved..after reading so many crazy reviews I was so worried..taking 3 kids aged 9,11,12 and being 6 months pregnant I can say I loved it and so did the kids and partner...food was great always something for us to eat..staff are lovely and don't expect tips everyday..we tipped at end of every week as 10-15 dinars is a lot to them..10 dinars works out to £2.50..the shops are hard work but always haggle we had a few bargains..so many choices going on around u will ever get bored..this hotels just a 3* so don't expect service like you would from 5 star.
So the decor in the rooms isn't great but you go on holiday to be outside not sat in front of a tv!!

Rooms cleaned daily which was great..

Please don't be put off by the reviews slating this place..it's a up and coming country who are trying to make a future...

We loved it that much we are going back next year..

8 Thank Dawnie123968
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read your review . It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us highlighting the service you have received from our staff
Best regards
Quality Manager, Myriam
hotel@saharabeach.com.tn
retford
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Im not a holiday snob and cant be bothered with writing a massive review on this place so i will bullet point it.

* Rooms need updating. Only plug socket is 6ft up the wall.
* If your not up by half 5 then forget getting a lounger round the pool.
* Beach and sea is very un clean.
* They seemed to want to cram as many people as possible into the dining room and struggled to cater for them. (20 mins waiting for a fried egg for my 2 year old)
* Same table during the stay, this was never set for us at breakfast resulting in us setting this ourselves. There was also 3 of us on holiday and for evening meal it was only ever set for 2 of us.
* This hotel is an "all inclusive hotel" yet there are 2 bars and a restaurant theat you were required to pay.
* Tipping seems to be expected everytime someting is done for you.
* Shop staff are rude, when my wife said she didnt want to go into the shop something was said in Arabic with a hand gesture to go away.
* Entertainment is very poor, including the bloke singing Kylie songs on a keyboard in the Piano bar.

Could go on but getting very sick of writing, the only good thing we found about this place was the weather was fantastic and it was nice to see my little girl enjoying herself in the Aqua park. Which was EXCELLENT for children.
Just felt like i was in an episode of benidorm!

Sorry for the people who enjoyed there trip here but this was our own expirience!

2 Thank corrie1269
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Well after reading a whole lot of reviews about this place I was wary.
Well in all honesty I don't persinally think I'd go back again but it's more to do with personal tatse. Me my husband and two children went on16 june for a fortnight. This was our first all inclusive holiday and that is where the problem was for us. Although there was something for everyone it was the same and not of gud quality. .....
Pools great... rooms small but clean.... staff super friendly and always happy happy happy...
Made some fantastic friends
Good memories.............

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank K G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Returned for this hotel on May 10th, Mine and my partners first impressions of the hotel was a little dated but clean and pleasent, Just a few pointers below...

All the reception staff are rude and miserable.
Upgrade your room before you go, We paid and extra 50 pound each through thomas cook, We are so glad we did as we had a amazing room on the 7th floor with a TV, Fridge, Hairdryer, double balcony and so much space and even a bottle of wine and a bowl of fruit... We did meet a couple and see there standard room and you could not swing a cat it in. Definatly Upgrade its a must...
Tipping is a must and can get quiet annoying, I didnt have a problem with tipping, the staff work so hard and they do earn rubbish money, but you will get the odd one who will demand money from you. We did find a little tip goes a long way we tipped our waiter 10 dinnar on the first night (Approx £3) and everynight we came down for dinner we would have 4 drinks each on the table nice flowers and even little decorations our waiter Fatty was so polite and nothing was to much trouble for him, You get allocated a table for your whole stay and generally have the same waiter throughout your stay. The food was good i am very fussy and i found i did not starve although it is repeated alot, Breakfast consist of eggs, eggs and toast, Scramled egg, boiled eggs, and the omlette man who is fantasic, we stuck to omlettes every morning and did not get bored, Also they have a Pasta bar and a pancake bar, All made in front of you and are yummy, Pasta was amazing, The buffet consists of chips, rice, and usually a meat in sauce, there beef stew was amazing. And save room for desert as they are lovely and theres a lot to pick from.
The Drinks, it is impossible to get drunk on the drinks, i drank and drank and could not get drunk, my advise buy a bottle of cheap booze at the airport, You can buy Becks bottled Beer in the bar by the lobby, these are 3 dinnar (£1.20) we decided to pay a few nights as we just couldnt stomach anymore roller cola. they also sell Red bull, Coke and Fanta all at an extra cost, but worth it.
Entertainment staff work hard but wasnt really my cuppa tea more for kids than adults, we would usually sit in the bar by the lobby or take our drinks up to our room and sit out on the balcony. Also i found sitting in the show bar me and my partner got bitten alive they have all the doors open of a evening and i was a prime target for the little biters.
During the day its more a relax around the pool holiday and there pools are amazing, sunbeds can be a night mare put ya towels down before breakfast you will be fine.
Didnt really sit on the beach we did walk down as my partner wanted to go on the water sports i sat on the Boat bar and watch, You do have to pay for your drinks on here.
We did go to the rep meeting and did wanna do some excursions, we did get pre warned these are over priced and not worth the money as they are slightly expensive, We didnt book any tours through the rep, But did book Quad biking through a man on the stall on the way to the resturant, 30 dinnar each approx £18 and the coach picks you up from the hotel grounds and takes you about a 10 min drive, And this was so worth the money 2 hours on the quads riding through little towns and through the deserts, this was so much fun that we did it twice.
We also took the noddy train which you can purchase the tickets from recepetion into Monistair, good afternoon out for shopping and sight seeing but be prepared to be haggled, but you will get amazing bargains....
Also the hotel do a free photo shoot in the grounds book this at the start of your week right by the resturant, takes around half hour and photos are ready the same day, Photos are about 4 dinnar Each (£1.50) but there are amazing and you do not have to buy these if you dont want to, Great little memory for us as this was our first holiday together.
Overall a good relaxing holiday remember this is a 3 star hotel in a very poor country if your not willing to go with an open mind dont book.
I would definatly go back maybe once we have kids and take my own booze,

Room Tip: Upgrade you room before you go Go with an open mind its not as bad as everyone says
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank shellz85
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

you get more than you pay for here, from arrival to departure the staff are so friendly and helpfull.rooms do need updating however they were cleaned every day.food was good with plenty to choose from at each meal,having the same table made it so easy and jimmy the waiter was great.the animation team made a great effort to keep everybody entertained, the lion king show was amazing especially zico as the wart hog.out and about was ok too as taxis where so cheap.only critism is the measures they serve at the bar's, however a little tip did make them bigger.

Room Tip: a little tip goes a long way.rooms at end of buildings are quieter as they away from lifts.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank frankie8558
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Arrived after midnight , reception staff efficient but a bit grumpy , but realised that all reception staff are grumpy..All other staff happy helpful . A small tip a big smile and Aslemma - Hello in Arabic and Shukran - Thank you go a long way . Found quite a few holiday makers forgot to say thanks .Plenty of sun loungers but I saw grown men going down the path towards the pool and beach at 5am .. Do you realy have to do this ? I always got a bed and matrass .Plenty to do . I did go into Sousse in a Taxi , be firm and you will get where you want to go at a price you want to pay . Then went from Sousse to Kantoui on a Billy Train . I found it easy to get around .
The restraunt is massive and the food is of very good quality and as much as you want . The food in the Beach bar is not as good .
Didnt see much of the entertainmaet as its a very hard job sitting on a longer and had to retire quite early on an evening . The rooms are a bit on the small side , but air con worked 24/7 , Hot water 24/7 , balcony with sea view and a clean bed . So adequate .
Enjoyed my week and it wont take a great deal of persuassion to go again .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends