“WORTH THE MONEY LOVELY PLACE”

Sahara Beach Aquapark Resort
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Now ill start with you get what you pay for and abit more. I thought it was lovely and a bargain of a holiday.I am 29 partner 31 and three children 12 8 and 5.Three little blonde girls and i would like to say were absolutely fine throughout the holiday, not hassled by anybody and we let them wander around on their own.Weather was boiling everyday.The hotel was lovely very clean and massive.I left all my things lay about in the room and nothing went missing, it was cleaned daily and the cleaners were polite.The rooms are small and very basic but got all you need for an all inclusive, the only thing i would have liked is a kettle.The pool and beach were lovely and clean, i did tip the sunbed guy in the morning for our matresses but this was only 1 dinar and he was happy.I did have to get up at 6 in the morning to ensure i got a sunbed in view of the kids pool which was annoying as we all like a lie in on holiday.The entertainment in the day and night is very cheesy but its nice to have something to keep the kids entertained.I did read soomeones review before i went which stated this place was butlins abroad, i would totally agree but thats right up my street.i would recommend fly spray as these are everywhere in the day and can be quite annoying but give me these over cock roaches anyday.The food was fine very repetative but edable , i was there for a week think it might have been too much for two weeks.Only down fall is you have to walk along to shops to get to the resteraunt and as you do have to go for food three times a day this gets quite annoying, the layout of the hotel was done with this in mind i think to get you to spend money.You are allocated a table and a waiter at the beginning of your stay which is nice , i tipped my waiter jimmy everyday but again this was only 2dinar and he was worth it lovely man.I did buy a toy from the stall for my kids and it broke same day, the guy would not help just told me to buy another one so if i was you id keep my money in my pocket.We also had the henna tatoo done lovely little reminder of the holiday , reasonable price and the guy was lovely.I also booked to have a photo session with the camp photographers which is well and truly worth the money, you only pay for the photos you want the booking if free.I paid 50pound for 20 photos.I would say, dont pay for the cd of your photos as ive got mine home and its got nothing on it which is rather annoying.Always make sure youve got a few dinar change coz you will need them this is a tipping country and everyone wants one.Including the hotel porter when you arrive and as id only just changed my money i only had a 10dinar note to give so asked him to split it with the other porter who helped us with our bags, he was not happy and stormed off slamming our bedroom door behind him.It is true at the airport when you land expect a rather long wait to get through passport control and again going home.Also pack plenty of food yourself as we got delayed and it cost us an arm and a leg in the airport as you cant spend dinar there.I would say that a week here was nice but i dont think i could have stayed any longer, the tipping the food and the cheesy entertainment i think would become a little grating on yourself after day 7.I spoke to a few single ladies whilst there who did comment on being made to feel a little uncomforatble with the male staff coming onto them but i never witnessed any of this, i do think when they can see your in a couple they tend to leave you alone.I didnt venture out of the hotel and the stories i heard of the people that did, im glad i didnt.It doesnt sound a very nice place to have a stroll around shopping.I certainly wouldnt like to take my kids out there.Overall this is a good place to visit and paying 2000 pound for five of us i dont think you can whinge for what you get.Dont be put of by the bad reviews i think id visit there again knowing im going to get a nice holiday for my money.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kerryske
There are newer reviews for Sahara Beach Aquapark Resort

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Just returned from this hotel for the 4th time and still no change this s still a good hotel for familys and couples the entertainment team are brill at what they do and also all the staff are very friendly and they do not expect tipping all the time like some hotels do. The cleaning staff are very friendly as well keep your room nice and clean. The food is great everything for everyone a wide choice of foods. The reception staff are brill as well, if you have a problem it is done immediatley. I cannot fault this hotel at all with its great pools 3 of them and its waterpark for the kiddies. I would recommend this hotel to everyone, we will be going back again and again it is a great hotel for all, this is why i have given it a 5 star as it deserves it.

Room Tip: Any of the blocks this is a quiet hotel on an evening no noise at all
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kazibabe
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I don't know what it is about North Africa but my god its lovely, its much better than your typical spanish canaries, I dont like going anywere other than Egypt or Tunisia Minus a few cities in between.

The hotel was huge, 3 big blocks of rooms, don't be put off though they had plenty of everything for everyone, okay maybe the sunloungers were hard to come by after 7am but I got in a routine and was up around 6am to get some good spots to lay out in, I have never been to a hotel were i had to do this but doing so meant we was out in the sun all day, it was lush because we would often not get up till gone 10am lol. The resturant was very big also to accommodate all the guests, but our waiter Jimmy was great, we was allocated a table by him for the week which made the resturant not feel like such a gigantic place after all.
Rooms were basic compared to others I have stayed in, to be honest I wasn't bothered about having a tv or not, just could of done with a mini fridge to keep my partners insulin cool, again wasn't a major deal as we used the hotels fridge in the medical room.
The food was fantastic too, real good variation of choice and was always hot, the alacarte was nice to make a change.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TCtravelagent1992
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Went away with my friend and our 3 children (2 aged 8) and one aged 2... the decor in the hotel is a little dated. But to be honest that didnt matter as there was so much to do.. the pools were lovely and clean so was the beach (the seas a bit grotty) the food was fine and the bars were all very clean and well presented. There are an array of shops within the hotel and all the staff are very friendly (especially at the jewelers)
The rooms were basic but clean but to be honest apart from sleeping we didnt spend much time in there..
There were so many activities for kids to do we hardly saw the older 2...
Would go back with the family as this hotel was fab for the kids

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank KeeleyWhitford
Reviewed November 22, 2012

we have just arrived back from here 2 weeks all inclusive. please read reviews before booking, i am going to tell you the gods honest truth...
firstly the porters when arriving are terrible they snatch your suitcases of you so that you tip them at the end which would be that bad if they just asked you if you needed a hand instead of snatching them.
food- if you like fish then you will love it, we are a young couple and found there was nothing for us to eat at all, also there isnt a shop in the hotel that sells proper food.
rooms- small rooms they are kept tidy and cleaners are in everyday which was great howether we had to move rooms as every morning i was waking up with bytes they must have been in the beds.
staff- waiters are very friendly well so we thought , they were constantly playing with our young child which we thought was really nice of them until the last day of our holiday and one of the waiters was hinting on for my partners mobile phone said he would buy it of us (only a ten pound phone) he never left us alone that whole night until my partner gave in and give him it feeling sorry for him then he never came near us again after which just shows they just try and get what they want out of you..
rep- what a lovely man no faults what so ever A***** for him.
shops- not many shops inside the hotel so we went outside one day , to our suprise at the gates of the hotel there must have been around 30 taxis and 6 horses and all come over to you for you to get in , then hound you for money .. shopkeepers drag you in their shops and i found it really intimidating
although the hotel was immaculate the people and the atmosphere and what the place has to offer is very disapointing . i woul not come here again

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2012

FOR......
What a place ! Don't expect to rub shoulders with Sir Alan Sugar,Simon Cowell or Dame Shirley Bassey here, after all its a very good 3 star place and not a not so good 5 star.On arrival we were offered a drink and booked in very quickly with no fuss.Our luggage was taken to our room for us, All the staff, porters,cleaners and bar staff there were so nice i didn't mind tipping at all. I'm a very fussy eater but did not have a problem all week finding some thing to enjoy, with the exception of breakfast time,,i could only manage eggs on toast.When allocated our table for the week we were then approached by a waiter that served us all week,the service was brilliant from him. What a lovely man.Had a great view of the beach/sea from our room.The cocktails made each night in the reception area were very nice. The pools and surrounding grounds/gardens were very well kept and made for some great photo opportunities. The beach was about a 3 minute walk from The Sahara with warm(ish) clear water and beautiful fine white sand.All the lifts worked 100%.and the shower in our room was powerful and worked fine.I found the bed a little too comfortable and didn't want to get out some times,lol.The room was basic but at the end of the day as they say,it's really only some where to sleep.The animation team ? well, some times it was so bad you just had to laugh.Or was it just the vodka ? Had a free meal in the El Campo but to be honest only the steak was nice,the rest we left,as we did our selves then headed to the restaurant to fill up. The holiday rep was always very helpful and glad to answer any questions you might have for him (wish I'd asked about the power sockets for curiosity's sake. see AGAINST) and the swap box is a great idea,never seen that before.I finished my I'Partridge then swapped it for The Life Of Lee Evans,brilliant !The weather let us down but you can not blame The Sahara for that.watched an amazing light show over the ocean on our 1st night,(14th November),an awesome display of mother nature's lightening,the rest of the week It was warm but a tad cloudy/windy.On our last day it was almost 29 with no breeze or clouds at 9.30 am.Typical (21st November). And go to the welcome party,some top tips on taxis,money and your own enjoyment in general.
AGAINST......
ONE electric socket.Yes....ONE !!! And that was in the bathroom next to the WASH BASIN !!! Now i didn't really need it but my wife with her hair straighteners,hair dryer,phone charger and travel iron was a bit annoyed to say the least.....And next to the WASH BASIN ??? Even though on holiday i still like to watch a bit of telly now and again but no telly's in the rooms,why ? Probably because there's only 1 socket. Grrrrrrrrr !
CONCLUSION......
With more for's than against's i would recommend this holiday any time. You cant blame the weather on the resort and for what we paid i think we had a great holiday.Enjoyed a bit of bartering with some of the shop keepers for stuff to bring home and the El Campo meal was free so cant complain about that really.Before we went we read a lot of these reviews and thought to our selves.....mmmmmmmm ? but having been there for our selves come to the conclusion that some people really do expect to rub shoulders with Sir Alan Sugar,Simon Cowell and Dame Shirley Bassey for the price of Timmy Mallet, Chico and Jedward. Well done The Sahara,see you next year :)

Room Tip: Our room 1056 was nice but should imagine rooms on the end of the floor to our right must have had a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank robert w
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Just returned from Sahara Beach hotel. Only complaint I can give is that the weather let us down. The hotel was great. Could not complain about the food, staff or facilities. The restaurant offered at least 4 or 5 different choices for main course and in addition you had salads, pasta or pizza. The staff were always friendly and this was one of the only hotels I have visited where you didn't have to queue at the bar. Yes you tipped the waiters and some of the other staff but for 1 dinar (50 pence) they were eternally grateful. One other small thing is that you are in the middle of nowhere, but for a small charge (10 dinar - £4) you could get a return taxi to nearby Monastir or Sousse for shopping, Have to say also that the Thomas Cook rep was really friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Loved it!

Am going back in May and can't wait. Just hope the weather is an improvement.

Room Tip: There are no televisions in the standard rooms, but we found out halfway through the week that for a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends