“Excellent winter "sun" holiday!”

Royal Thalassa Monastir
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent winter "sun" holiday!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My Fiancee and I travelled to this hotel to celebrate our engagement and to have a break after a very busy Christmas, we booked with Thomson and were all inclusive.
We payed £40 to upgrade to a "superior" room which turned out to be a suite overlooking the ocean and beach, money well spent!
We found the staff to be excellent and were very well looked after by the restaurant manager Nabil who was very attentive and professional. The waiters in the Chefs Market restaurant were fantastic working away in the background, always topping up the wine, very efficient but not intrusive. I had a couple of hazy mornings after enjoying the Tunisian wine which was top class, courtesy of Nizar!
The food was great, very good variety each day, breakfast - lunch and dinner, no items on the buffet were repeated throughout the week - I don't know how the chefs could put on such a good spread!
The outdoor pools were too cold to use however the indoor pool was lovely, nice and warm with plenty of fresh towels provided and friendly pool attendants, the beach was well maintained by the hotel and was brushed every day which made it a pleasure to walk on!
We went into the bar in the evenings and they had some light entertainment which was quite fun but not quite the Xfactor, to be fair it was just what I wanted apart from the football which seemed to feature on the big screen most nights as there was a local football team occupying some of the hotel.
My only regret of the trip was leaving the hotel to go into Monastir, no tourists in sight but us, the marina was nice but the town was intimidating, lots of men claiming to work in our hotel offering free tours and very pushy shop owners, stay in the hotel bar!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a relaxing holiday, splash some cash on the spa next door as its well worth the money, we paid £50 each for a "rasul" massage and scrub which was amazing.
I'll be holidaying here again for sure!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Matthew H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brighton
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My stay was a very short business trip in the Winter so I expect I saw the hotel in a very different way to the summer. Location is directly on the beach and the pool was large but too cold to sample during my stay. there is, however, a very nice indoor pool. Rooms were good, mine overlooked the pool and was ensuite with tv, free wifi, englilsh speaking chanels. Breakfast was very varied and plentiful. All staff very helpful. Hotel was not surprisingly very quiet which I am sure is very different to the Summer!

Room Tip: Make sure you overlook the pool
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Brightonian
Suffolk
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed for a week with hubby and two teenagers in July last year. Booked standard rooms which were great...large room, comfy beds, huge bathrooms and lovely balconies overlooking the pool. Always found sunbeds together and pool guys were great, putting towels out and situating umbrellas for us. Pools were lovely, uncrowded and very clean. Food was lovely, we had no complaints (apart from putting on weight! :))
There wasn't really any evening entertainment, so ipods/ipads or a good supply of books & board games may be a good idea. The beach and sea was gorgeous for the first few days, then a mass of seaweed arrived which made swimming in the sea nearly impossible and just not very appealing. The pool bar was fabulous and the staff are very efficient...there is a lot of shade their too and we spent a lot of time drinking here during the day when the sun got a little overbearing.
I think that a week is adequate and I would recommend this hotel for a cheap, relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: We requested a room with a pool view and evening sun and that's exactly what we got. No complai...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank NessSuffolk
Billingstad, Norway
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Reception area is very beautiful and the entrance very impressive. Most of the reception staff was helpful and service mined. The rooms are nice and clean, spacious with a double bed. Very nice bathroom and the balcony is big enough for two. We had a wonderful view of the pretty pool area and the beach. The food is delicious. We had half all-Inclusive (no lunch included) The dinner buffet has a very good selection and variety.

The entertainment is not much, but ok. A singer, a man on a saxophone or guitar, a pianist another night and so on but it suited us perfectly - since we came for relaxation.
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to couples that want to relax, and who are happy to entertain themselves,

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Vedal_10
Reading
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was my 4th visit to Tunisia, but first time in Skanes. If you want nothing to do and I mean nothing, this is the place for you. If you want quiet and clean and something to do,go to Port El Kantaoui.
We couldn't fault the room at all, very clean and modern. the bedding and towels were changed daily.
The main restaurant catered for nearly everyone's needs, the was a lot of variety, and fresh cooking stations.
There was even bacon at breakfast, which I was quite surprised at for a Muslim country.
I don't know why other reviewers had a problem with the food, you could have chips with something different everyday.
This is the only 5 star hotel in Monastir but I would of thought it would of had more for its guests to do. but it it is mostly
geared towards the Spa next door. this does have a gym and various treatments, but there is no discount to guests and 15 euros/day is a bit steep to use the gym.
We asked the rep, whether there was a shop on site? which there is but these are boutique shops with high end Tunisian trickets.
The nearest shop is at the airport if want munchies or a cash point.
You can change money at the hotel reception, but please check what they give you and make sure you see the receipt upfront.
The first time I changed money, I was short changed by 200DN (£80), and check everything including when you sign for your all-inclusive drinks. The AI customers are limited to a small selection of drinks. unspecified brands of your usual spirits.
I think these are watered down anyway, so I would stick to the wine next time.
The location of hotel is its biggest downfall, it is reminiscent of a premier lodge off the M5, there is nothing about.
Even a walk down the beach didn't highlight anything. There is a railway station near the airport and this gets you to either Sousse or Monastir
For about 80p one way to Sousse, it is nothing fancy mind you. So we got a taxi back which cost 15dn (£6).
Monastir was about 10dn (£4) and reception will order you a taxi.

All the staff were friendly and happy to help and despite the negatives we had a good time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank toottoot2009
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Subject: Royal Thalassa Monastir
Location: Monastir, Monastir Governorate, Tunisia, Africa
Title: great vacation
ID#: 147887008

"for the fulfillment of body and soul" is written on the room/key card
of hotel thalassa monastir. and so it is. the breath taking view from
the hotel towards the sea over the turqoise pools and the well cared for
palm garden is a fulfillment for soul. the excellent food, starting from
the great variation breakfast, to the top kitchen chief's skilfully prepared and beautifully presented dinner and the fantastic
deserts and icecreams is a true fulfillment of body.
to appreciate the amazing achievements of the kitchen and the dining room personal, the guests can add to the fhe pleasant atmosphere by dressing adequately especially for the evening.

the staff of the hotel is very pleasant and polite.
the beautiful friendly smiles also in the mornings is appreciated.

the hotel has spacious rooms with balconies and excellent large beds.
in the bathroom are quality products of beauty cream and hair care
as well as of course a hair dryer.

next to the hotel is a spa where one can get top french beauty treatments.

this was my ninth trip to tunis and my second stay at the royal thalassa.
i can easily join the words of the past year's song "around the world i searched fo you"...and found you hotel royal thalassa monastir.

the airplane from finland arrives in monastir so that we are in our rooms
in the early morning hours.
the hotel started the pampering of the guest by room service bringing a
cold cuts plate with salad and bread etc. and a big bottle of mineral water.
later a big mineralwater bottle was brought to the room every day.

only a four hour flight from helsinki to the light of tunis is a small thing.
i like to visit tunis between october-december as the weather at that time is suitable for me. if the weather happened to be cool and windy, there is an inside warm water pool
there are plenty of stairs, but two three weeks using the stairs visibly
works as fittness.

to walk around in monastir and sousse among the polite people was nice.

i returned to finland (lots of wet snow on the streets in helsinki) on the
first week of december.

you might have quessed that i am dreaming of the next trip back to the
same hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank NainenHelsinki
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Upon booking we though we had a cracking deal for a 5* resort. Turns out it should be a 3.5* resort by English standards. Upon checking in all seemed well and we were very happy.... within 6 hours we wanted to go home. The Platinum range of Thomson..... Maybe they should stay there! No evening entertainment, well other than a man who knew about 5% of the words to each song and a drowning cat would have been more in tune! Whilst we found 3 members of staff who were friendly, the rest looked at you... well there is no polite way to put it so I think you can guess. Our bed linen was not changed the whole time we were there! Upon realising we had not dressing robes, I asked at reception 5 times..... I gave up! Also asked for extra pillows 5 times.... I also gave up on this! The food whilst it was very nice for the first 3 days stopped offering variety. The weather was not great... but the resort can't be blamed for this! The outside pool was 18oc :( and the indoor heated pool whilst very pleasant was not good once there were 8 of you! The beach was full of rubbish (bottles, plastic bags etc) and the staff at the beach bar would have been more than happy to let you dehydrate than do any work and leave their phones alone! Do not eat outside unless you want to spend your entire meal times looking like you belong on the set of karate Kid!! The flies are awful and everywhere... best to eat inside! The nearest town is a taxi ride away and with the amount of pick pockets around, we didn't feel safe enough to leave the complex other than a trip to the wild animal park (Friguma Park) whilst this was a nice day out. I could have done without the incessant grabbing of traders to view the same stuff you had passed on the previous 6 stalls! The holiday Rep.... well the less said about that the better! If you take your make up and perfume with you.....LOCK IT IN THE SAFE!!! My make up and perfume had been used whilst I had been out of the room. I would suggest you go elsewhere if you intend to visit Tunisia.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank LPrit
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monastir
SENTIDO Rosa Beach
smartline Skanes Serail
#10 of 43 in Monastir
IBEROSTAR Royal El Mansour & Thalasso
Movenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse

Been to Royal Thalassa Monastir? Share your experiences!