“Wonderful break with lovely staff”

Royal Thalassa Monastir
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The Royal Thalassa was a lovely hotel with a great view and relaxing surroundings. The staff in the hotel across all areas were wonderful, helpful and extremely polite. The evening entertainment especially for a quiet hotel was great in particular Adnen who always was there to bring a brilliant atmosphere to the warm evenings. The spa was amazing especially the spa pool where the scenery and the setting was just perfect, this was the best aspect of the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to those who wish to have a peaceful, relaxing and pleasant holiday in the sun!

Room Tip: I would recommend upgrading your room and getting a beach view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SunainaD
Write a ReviewReviews (1,265)

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Firstly remember this is a second world country. They get paid peanuts. I know you shouldn't have to when you have paid an all inclusive price, but if you tip you will get better service. If you don't, you won't.

First impressions:- Looks grand and impeccably clean.

Room:- We were on the top floor with a pool view on the left hand side. It was clean. Beds very comfortable. Bedding not changed daily but I'm sure if you tip the maid and ask her she would be more than happy to do this. Tv gets BBC World Service and little else of interest unless you are a polyglot but who goes to Tunisia to watch T.V anyway?? Beautiful view from the balcony. They had to change the safe in the room as someone had kindly gone home with the key. Air-conditioning not adequate in 40 degree + heat.

Bathroom:- Spacious. Shower above bath. Shower pressure good but temperature not constant. (in truth not really a problem).

Food:- Great choice and tasty. Breakfast:- Only one coffee machine which is slightly irksome.

Pool:- Beautiful. Still need to get up early to get the sun loungers you want. 2 towels on every sun lounger and they are very comfortable.

Beach:- Not a beach person myself and only went once for a look. However looked nice with plenty of sunbeds. A tad odourous when I took a walk down there.

Wi-Fi:- Hitty missy throughout the hotel. We didn't have wi-fi in our room as other guests did. Hint:- If you want wifi next to the pool get a bed near the beach on the left hand side of the pool.

Service:- Generally poor and on occasions borderline rude. However. On our penultimate night some important looking gentlemen in black suits arrived and handed out questionnaires to all the guests. The next day service was much improved.

Entertainment:- A man playing a keyboard, saxophone or lute. I'm not a huge fan of "organised fun" so this was fine by me.

Out and about:- I have a strong dislike of bartering and being grabbed or coerced to buy something. Went to Monastir in an S.A.S style operation to purchase some gifts in a taxi (10 Dinah each way). True to form I was grabbed and had to barter. Lasted an hour. The town is dirty with not a great deal to see.

Spa:- Looked gorgeous but did not go. Quite pricey.

To conclude if you want a relaxed holiday by a beautiful pool next to a pleasant beach then this is for you. The food is good and the hotel is very clean. There is nowhere within walking distance from the hotel. Entertainment extremely limited. The hotel is next to an airport but this is NOT a problem. I did not pay book price for this holiday and was more than satisfied. Can't help feeling that if I had paid full price I may have been left a little disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Bruceeee1
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Me and my friend booked this holiday as a last minute chill out getaway. Once we arrived at the hotel we was greeted with cool towels and a free welcome cocktail. We was advised that we would have to wait for our room as the maids were still cleaning them and to come back at 2pm (this was at 11.30am). We went and had a look around the hotel an have to say it is wonderful!! Marbel floors and pillars makes you feel very special. The pool is massive and has a Jacuzzi and a 2 smaller kids pools. We went to lunch and the variety of food is large. From Tunisian soup and meat to mash and Pizza. When we went back to the reception at 2pm we was then told to wait longer for our room which we complained about due to the weather being unbearably hot to wait around any longer. We just wanted to get our bikinis on. They then let us into or room which was room 364! A wonderful room with a lovely view.

When going around the pool if you don't want to get up early for a sunbed just take your towels down and lay them out on the floor. We did this everyday and within 10 mins has a lounger with our towel on top and 2 beach towels which they provide daily. Try to tip the bar staff early on in your holiday as they will be friendly and always comeback to serve you before others.

The beach always has free beds yet never seems empty. The beach is cordoned off as its private for the hotel so its safe. Its all sand no rocks or pebbles and its all white. There is a funny smell at some parts when your in the sea but its not unbareable and you get use to it.

Te entertainment at the hotel was the only bit that really let us down as it was a man with a guitar playing thee prerecorded backing tracks on his keyboard. If he didn't know the words he would mumble them, this did cause some laughs tho. In the day the only activities are aqua aerobics and waterpolo.

The food at the hotel is great! wide range and plenty out. The pizzas are beautiful although the pizza man is a bit mardy and sour faced. Defiantly try pancakes and nutella int he morning and the lamb curry at night!

All in all a fantastic holiday and met some fantastic people! would defiantly go again!

Hope this helps!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kirsten Nicole W
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Not sure why people had money stolen when safes are available free of charge. Hotel is grand our main problem was the air conditioning and other brits complained of the same at the welcome meeting.

It was 40 degrees (sometimes over) every day last week and the room airconditioning was shocking leading to sleep problems for many of us. There was also no air conditioning on in the stylish inside bar leading to it being empty every night and then people competing for seats outside where it was really warm or back to the hot room!

The rooms on the 4th floor are very posh and no other problems with that and the food overall was excellent. The location of the hotel is poor if you was looking to do trips only the Rabat is close by (10mins) but everything else is 1-2 hours each way which was impossible in the heat! Nothing in walking distance.

They need more English tv channels (minor grumble) and pool loungers and the staff/service can be tempremental i.e one minute your best friend and speedy service and next minute takes ages to get served at an almost empty bar!

If you want lots of sun and to stay in the hotel then this is the place for you as the hotel is very grand but brits need the best air conditioning when the heat is on!!

the hotel was packed last week and fully booked most days...

Room Tip: All rooms appear to have a good view which is either pool or side view onto the sea. 4th floor great...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank greendave7726
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We arrived mid morning to a nice welcome, we had a free upgrade to the poolview room which was a great surprise. Didnt have much info on the hotel when we arrived so had to find our own way round. We popped into the spa (downstairs) and reluctantly booked a spa day with a very ignoranr women, we then spotted a spa updatairs and were overwelmed by how they wanted to show us round and treated us well so we book upstairs and cancelled the downstairs and the day we had was fantastic.

Pool area is fantastic the guy that does the beds round the pool was amazing, he had a cpuple of days off during our stay and it really showed, everyone was waiting round for beds as the stand in was up to it, so he had a good tip of us.

Ala carte, where do i start, meal and champagne was a great but we had a rite run in with the manager who certainly is not peopel friendly after the he ignored us for the next 8days until we turned up for food(paying), then he changed, even the staff had spkoen badly about him which speaks volumes.

We drank a lot at the rendevouz bar and the guys there were brilliant.

Beach, what can i say, jetski jetski, nuff said.

Pool bar, was great except for some of the staff, loud and brash

OverLl we really enjoyed our stay here and would defo go back again,but some of the staff are the only things that let this place down.

The owner was present everyday but only spoke to his friends that were staying there rather than mixing better with his paying customers

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank bristolbest
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The first impression upon arrival at this hotel : very impressive property and ground with large and grand looking lobby / reception area.

I went up to the the front desk to check in but was told to sit down on the sofa to be served. I thought that was going to be a nice 'boutique styled' experience - NOT !

The reception staff took a couple of minutes to attend to me even though I was the only guest around at that late hours. I had to fill in a fairly long form even I had a booking. Surely they could print out my booking and all I need to do is to sign and confirm, just like any other 'proper' hotel. Again, it took them quite a few minutes to process this. Meanwhile, there was no welcome drink nor anyone to give me local / hotel information. When I enquired about the restaurant, I was told that it was closed (it was about 10.30pm to be fair). I then enquired about room service and was informed that I could order 'anything' at 'anytime' - I thought 'great'.

Then the reception staff introduced me to a bell person to 'show me to my room', who wanted to carry my only piece of small hand luggage for me. I was reluctant to give him that as I had important documents and equipment. The bell person then walked me to the next set of doors and then informed me to 'go to the lift and press 0'. I thought he was supposed to accompany me to my room and explain a few things about the room / hotel services. Perhaps he thought that he was not going to get any 'tips' from me as I had no luggage for him to carry ?

Anyway, when I got to my room, I was keen to order room service straight away as I had been travelling whole day and was hungry. However, I could not find the room service menu. I rang the front desk to request for a menu. While waiting for the menu, I looked around the room. There was no information folder for the hotel and no price list for the mini fridge. I am always very wary about over-priced hotel mini bar. I also had no idea about the breakfast hours, pool and other facilites. I again rang the front desk to request for more information and they said they would send a price list for the mini fridge. That never came !

When I got the room service menu eventually, I rang to place an order only to be told that most of the items on the menu were not available. I settled for a 'club sandwich' and tea, which arrived 40 minutes later. The sandwich was ok but very small portion. However, it did fill a gap !

The room itself was fairly large but a bit dark. There was no light in the 'sitting area'. There was also no tea / coffee making facilites (a 5* hotel ?). The bed was comfortable but pillows were lumpy. The bathroom fixtures were of poor qualities. The shower water pressure was poor which meant the water went from hot to cold unpredictably.

The breakfast buffet was a decent spread of hot and cold items. However, there was only one coffee machine in the whole dining room. Hence, there was a long queue most of the time.

The outdoor pool area was probably the other only good thing about this hotel. The area was pretty and well maintained. There was also the private beach to choose from if you prefer.

In summary, nice pool and ground, but poor service generally. Definitely not a 5* property as they claimed on their website.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank DrET
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We arrived at Royal Thalasso on 20th of June expecting a very good holiday after paying for a 5 star hotel and upgraded to superior room with sea view. Big mistake they gave us our room which was a 1st floor room with a view of the beach cafe & people sunbathing at the pool. We complained & got told that they had given us a upgraded to a suite, but we told them we had paid for a sea view & that's what we wanted! They then told us that a room would not be available till 7pm as the guests in the room had paid for late check out but we could use the room they had alocated to us till then! Got our new room at 8pm, patio doors didn't lock, big problem with this room as next room shared the balcony, we went to reception & the Thomson rep to inform them but still took 2 days to fix.
We booked a trip & went to pay for them the next day only to discover £170 had been stolen for our bags, reported it to reception & the Thomson rep, filled out the usual form with her & then had to wait over 2 hours to get to the police station. Police were really annoyed with this as it was a hotel matter & they didn't want to be bothered with the paper work! We were disappointed with the reaction from the hotel when the "crime" was reported. Just told us that we should of kept all our valueables in the safe, extremely hard if you dont had a proper room alocated to you . I have travelled many times abroad and this is the only hotel where this type of thing has happened. Would this put me off Tunisia and this hotel-most definately! To add insult to injury I have heard nothing from TUI in response to my complaint since my return to the uk.
We stayed for 11 days & the bed wasnt changed once, rooms are shabby, tiles were cracked and chipped! Bath was stained & shower curtain was stained, bathroom units faded & worn, hall carpet's stained! Also you're suppose to have wifi in all rooms, but the only time we got it was near the lobby area! Not what I would call a 5* experience.
The staff service is sporadic to say the least. Sometimes they were great and other times they were nothing short of rude.
After ordering drinks that didn't arrive the pool bar waiter walked past and waved me to the bar to get it myself. We also saw the pool bar staff completely blanking other guests, especially if you had a blue wrist band on! The all inclusive drinks had to be signed for, each docket had the price of the drinks consumed we couldn't get to the bottom of why we were having to sign?

Room Tip: Stay well away from the 1st floor rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank KimE1970
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monastir
SENTIDO Rosa Beach
#14 of 43 in Monastir
JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa
9 mi away
Movenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse

Been to Royal Thalassa Monastir? Share your experiences!