“pretty good hotel”

Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Monastir
Constantza
“pretty good hotel”
Reviewed September 16, 2010

We've just back from Tunisia. Trust me, we had a very comfortable hollyday me, my wife and my daughter at Amir (Emir) Palace. Positive things:
- Nice architecture ( neither of the hotels of 5* AI in the neighbourhood are comparing with AP)
- Friendly stuff
- Room Clean: Every day
- Clean outside pool
- Animation : the owners MUST investing more than this.
Negative points:
- Food is not various (same food 7 days( breakfast, lunch, dinner))
- Drinks: Only local drinks (SUCKS), even you have AI, is better to buy the drinks from Duty Free Airport
- Beach and sea clean: Beware of A lot of jellyfish witch will harm you ( even they have net)
- The internet wireless is not for free ( 5 euro/hour (actually if you are using 15 min is the same cheating) and the transfer is like in Tunisia :D
Anyway, the Hotel is pretty good, maybe is 4 tunisian stars, but we've have a very good time!
P.S. IN TUNISIA, NEGOTIATE EVERYTHING, even at 1 euro!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank lazaridis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Katowice, Poland
Reviewed August 26, 2010

The hotel has 5* in folder but it is old hotel, I would give only 4*.
Hotel is huge but you easy know that is old hotel,
The room I got was small and the bathroom was only 3*, not so clean, the bed was old and not comfortable. balcoon was seaview and on the first floor, a bit noisy during the day.
Swimming pool clean and nice, beach was clean and white sand, you have to pay for umbrela, lot of water sports, cheap jetski. Next time I would choose different hotel If I would like to stay in 5 * hotel

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank marcin1980
falkirk
Reviewed July 21, 2010

this is not a five star hotel. We were the only brits staying in this hotel with most of the clients from eastern european countries ,also some german,some french ,some tunisian. We had no problems at all with other guests but if you want other brits to keep you company go else where. On arrival we were asked if we wanted seaview rooms which we thought we had booked, if so we would have to pay another £200,we declined. Entrance foyer was very impressive.The rooms themselves were clean with towels changed everyday. air conditioning was poor as was general decor.
Entertainment in the evenings was poor with only other hotels in neighborhood.
Beach was great with fine powdery white sands,with seaweed raked every morning,plenty of watersports at reasonable prices.
Sunbeds free on beach and at pool were good with mattresses and towels supplied (worth tipping sunbed guy on first day and he will look out for you)
As above with waiters who will look after you for drinks.
Food seemed geared towards russians etc but omellette guy at breakfast and pasta guy in evening were good.
Were told on arrival we were entitled to one meal per week in pizzeria,when we tried to book we were told change of policy everyone must pay.A la carte restaurant once per week was good. No snacks available to all inclusive guests so lunch finished at 2pm and food wasnt available again till 6.30 sometimes later.
2 golf courses within easy reach 3km and 8 km.
shopping in monastir 8km and sousse 15km. bars restaurants in port el kantoui about 20km away.
hotel does not accept scottish notes so take english and a good rate of exchange will be given in hotel. Nearest cash machine is in airport(10 dinars return in taxi)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank FalkirkRed
Debrecen, Hungary
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We wanted to have one week with or 1,5 year old son in a easy reachable location where is warm enough and it is possible to let the child "stroll alone" at the beach.
Because of travel (airport vincinity) we selected tunesien and monastir, so we save some travel (only 2,5 hour flight) " 10 minutes of bus.
we booked a hotel of 5 star, but we were not waiting for getting 5 star in north Africa. so the hotel (and we not paid for 5star either :))
The hotel is old and the people were not really friendly, food (AI) is ok, but boring and not good organised, rooms are not cleaned enough, but if you give enough dinars in advance (which I did not) might change the service attitude...)
we had issue with the AC and it could not be repaired in 2 days, so we received a new room. Beach is dirty not cleaned enough. there is a lot of camel and horse going by fighting for tourist, and they leave some "not wanted parts" so we spent most of the time at the inner pool, which was big and nice, not really planned for children but it was ok.
Because this hotel was more expensive than neighbour 4 star hotel, it was not crowded at all, always enough place and enough seating possibilities. this is what we wanted get away from crowd and we got it so at the end all other negative things were not important.
so I can recommend it, but please take the stars not serious and do not expect europian standard (for a price of 500 euro for 1 person for AI including all flight costs it was a good spent holiday.
ps. if possible buy all inclusive at the hotel it is 15 dinar (7 euro) per day, in tourist office we payed almost double.
also consider change 1 night of AI to a menu in restaurant, much better !!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank endi22
Yorkshire
Reviewed May 17, 2010

If you want a nice relaxing holiday do not go here. There were no more than 50 people staying here when we were all Eastern Europeans who just ate and drank as much as they could becuase it was free. The restaurant staff were nice enough and once they got to know us they did look after us, food was okay, but a bit boring towards the end of this very long week. The entertainment team (they call themselves the Animation Team!) were totally different they were awful, playing same music unnecessarily loud by the pool, practicing their routines by the pool, we think they were trying to do a riverdance routine (they were terrible so don't bother going to see them in the evening). We complained saying they should not be practicing infront of guests, so they appeared to single us out and tried to intimidate us, message to the animation team "IT DID NOT WORK GUYS"! Not Recommended at all.

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank debsunlover

Travelers are raving about these Monastir hotels

London
Reviewed April 22, 2010

We were put in this hotel by our tour operator when our flight was cancelled due to the vocanic eruption in Iceland in April 2010. The hotel is mainly aimed at the sort of tourists who like to arrive in a resort, have a short trip to a hotel that they never leave throughout their stay, and then fly off at the end of their weeks holiday. There is nothing at all in the vicinity of the hotel (except other hotels) - Monastir town is about 15 minutes away by taxi.

The reception area is very palatial but our room was in need of some maintenance (handle falling off cupboard doors, cracked toilet bowl, cigarette burns in the carpet). The food was not as good as that in the hotel where we spent our actual holiday (the Royal Azur in Hammamet) and there is a general holiday camp atmosphere (dancing and aerobics at the pool during the day, party games for the kids in the evening).

In our circumstances it was a lot better than sleeping on the floor in the airport waiting for a plane to take us home, but I would not recommend this hotel as the best choice for a holiday in Tunisia.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank nick_dow_ling
Arad
Reviewed September 2, 2009

I just came back from my holliday spent in Amir Palace Monastir, so:
1. Staff friendly and helpfull: front desk, waiters, security guys on the beach etc....smiling most of the times. Everybody speaks english and knows few words of your language ( in my case romanian but I heard them greating guests in hungarian too, besides english and french) just to make you feel good.
2. Beach excellent ... white sand, smooth entrance in the sea, clean shore - everyday they cleaned the seaweed, beds, umbrellas and towels for free although you have to sign for towels and retun them to the pool area - not just leave them on the beds on the beach. I could also go to the sea late at night (the last night before leaving) because the security guy watched over me...
3. The rooms were cleaned every day, I did not run out of toilet paper or shampoo :)... every day I found on the bed rose petals and towels wrapped as hearts, birds etc
4.Food: A LOT!!! from what I saw they are serving seafood twice a week (schrimps and squids), I recommend fish, cous-cous, beef, ice cream, caramel cream etc. Of course it was repetitive: if you would have to cook 10 sorts of salads, 10 sorts of main course, 5-6 sorts of cakes... how inventive/creative do you think you could be so that in one week everyday to cook something completely different???
5.Animation: I played some games on the beach, in rest it's me that was not interested so I can't tell more.
6. The noise from the planes: it did not bother me. I noticed few times a day the planes.

What I didn't like: it's a little isolated, if you are looking for a quiet relaxing holiday it's OK, but if you want night life, shops (cheaper that in the hotel shops were you have to negociate a lot), restaurants etc then you have to take a taxi to Port El Kantaoui -20km away ( my recommandation) for about 20 EURO and about one hour for round trip. The taxi drivers will wait for you if you want for 2-3 hours. May be they could improve the snack bar for All Inclusive by the pool: it's opened between 16-18 o'clock but they serve just some cakes and sandwiches and from what I experienced at 17.30-17.45 the snacks were finished ( maybe/ I hope it was an exception ) and dinner starts at 18.30 so if you're hungry it's unpleasant to know you payed All Inclusive...

If you expect 5 star hotel according to european clasification you will be disapointed BUT if you are open minded you will spend a nice holliday there. Indeed the furniture it's a little old but the beds are huge and very comfortable, the carpets are clean, clean bathrooms...the pink marble it's not new, could use a little polish BUT it's not at all dirty!

Of course the tips are important BUT it won't cost you much: 1 DT per day or every 2 days for the cleaning lady and you will have rose petals on the bed, 1 DT per day or every 2 days for the waiter and he will wait for you with your usual drink on the table :) ...etc... and FYI 1 EUR= aprox 2DT (tunisian dinar)

So maybe I will go back to Amir Palace. Although I usually prefer to visit new places/countries every holiday, I think I will visit Tunisia again soon because I want next time to go on the 2 days trip in Sahara. I did not go this time and I'm sorry as everybody that took the trip said it was great.

A.