“Holiday to remember”

Houda Golf and Beach Club
Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Reviewed November 1, 2012

...holiday to remember alright!!! First off I just want to say the staff (our maid, Ali the waiter, bag shop man, Ben and his helper (the jewelry stall) ) were fantastic a credit to the hotel......wish I could say the same about the rest of the place. Ok the place is clean but could do with some updating in places and dark corridors could do with new light bulbs!!
The food....not so good plenty choice but very repetative (thank god for cuppa soup and Jacobs crackers), sometimes raw and Luke warm at best. My 5yr old was ill the first weekend we were there so we were unable to leave the room for 3 days, followed by the next 4 of her refusing to eat (couldn't really blame her)
The pool. Ok so I'am a lighter sleeper and was amazed the first morning when sipping my cuppa on the balcony that people were out putting towels down at 5am!!! Then after our welcome meeting at 10.30 we were unable to get around the pool. So if you can't beat them join them......me down at the pool in my nightie lugging beds about. The pool was nice for the kids shallow in places and you can get a swim in if you want (and a nice ear infection too!!, both the kids were diagnosed with severe infections the day we got back). Ladies beware!!!! One morning I was accosted by a Tunisian fella who was demanding I met him on the beach that night to give me pleasure. I was scared but credit where it's due Stacey the rep filled in an incident report and passed it onto the hotel management who put extra security on during the night around the grounds ( as I said I'am a light sleeper and saw them walking around during the night) Must admit it did put a dampner on my holiday, my husband was not fit enough to travel and made me regret travelling alone.
Trips only did one trip to the frigula park......fantastic worth the money!! Kids loved it!!
Went to the evening entertainment once the whole fortnight......and stayed for ten minutes, haven do better (and that's saying something)
Drink....usual all inclusive stuff....beer ok tried a spirit but must admit I threw it away....everything tasted of disinfectant.....you could smell it on the floors in the morning and I'am sure they used the same stuff to clean the cups!! Stick to water ....sealed bottles and you can't go wrong with that!
So would I go back? Well if you had asked me that the Thursday before I was due to return home I would have said possibly but just for a week, however on the Friday the little one was poorly again.....and the Saturday....and on the Sunday I was praying she would be ok so we could get home. Even a sip of water made her violently ill. So dehydrated on the Sunday night we waved goodbye to the Houda and Tunisia. As we arrived into Newcastle my stomachs cramps started.....and so the tale goes on. A 14 yr old and 5 yr old with severe ear infections, and both me and my little one being diagnosed with food poisoning. A further 3 days sick from work for me and a further 10 days (yes that's right 10 days) off school for my little girl.....the Houdas lasting legacy???? She's been diagnosed with a dairy/lactose intolerance which apparently is common when you have had a serious bout of diarreha. Will we return? Will we hell.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a proper balcony....it means if any of your party are stuck in the room ill...
Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Regysmam
Write a ReviewReviews (3,036)

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Was a bit worrried after reading some of the bad reviews about this hotel.....Just arrived back from a weeks stay 24th oct to 31st oct...Had a brilliant time, staff very very friendly always smiling, animation team awesome, esp Ben (loves you) and momo really gr8 people...food was good always a selection to choose from . Rooms bit basic, needs up dating but apart from that a gr8 place and throughly enjoyed my stay...Please take no notice of the bad reviews and see it for yourself , make up your own minds ...god knows what some people want for the price you pay ...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed from 14-28th Oct and although this wasnt the best of hotels we made the best of our holiday to stop us from going insane, I'll try and give as honest and fair review as I can

Food:
Repetative and at times raw although I have to say I always managed to find something that I could eat, even if a lot of the times it was chips and I rarely ate any meat dishes after the first couple I had was almost raw. Breakfast is a bit weird - its the only place I've ever been that offered rice pudding and cabbage along with cake, croissants and boiled eggs and salads (I stuck to croissants every day while my hubby had omelett which he had to queue for nearly 30 mins for)

Drinks:
We took our own plastic cups as we had read on here that the cups used at the hotel are tiny - thank you to whoever put this, it was a fab tip and one that Im so glad we took notice of! I never got drunk but then again thats not what I set out to do, we had our fair share of drinks on a daily basis and Im sure if we'd have wanted to get steaming drunk every day we could have as we saw plenty of people who were! Please take note of taking your own plastic cups, the staff are happy to let you use these

Accomodation:
Shabby and very outdated, we had to change rooms as the shower in the first room flooded the whole bathroom. This however caused some problems for us as we got hassled by the hotel staff for "complaining about room" - they phoned us at 11.30 the night we complained and demanded that I go to reception to discuss the complaint. When my hubby went to reception they denied calling us, he came back to bed and the phone rang again at 3am, again reception demanding that I go to reception! The rep denied the hotel would do this but only the reception staff the rep and us knew we had asked to change rooms and the bloke demanding we go to reception was Tunisian. I felt quite threatened and I dread to think what could have happened had I gone to reception as he had asked as this was along several very dimly lit corridors with various hiding areas where anyone could have been waiting.

Overall Holiday:
We booked for 2 weeks and to be honest I was ready to go home after 1 week, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere with nothing much to do although the West Side Cafe bar opposite the hotel gates was a life saver!! The animation team ignored us and refused to speak to my son when he tried to interact with them on several occasions yet a few seconds later were all smiles and laughs with a group of girls (suprisingly enough!). Ben the customer relations rep runs around the hotel constantly shouting "Love you" to anyone and everyone, when I asked him why the hotel catered more for Germans and Eastern Europeans he told me to go buy an English breakfast in Sousse! This wasn't what I was wanting so I asked him if he ate cabbage for breakfast and he said he did every day and then walked off sulking! Another family I spoke to had put in a written complaint as advised by the rep and the hotel manager ripped it up and told them "This is what I think of your English complaint"

We did book to go to the "Zulu" trip -this was a trip to the safari park with a 5 course Tunisian meal with entertainment (Zulu dancing, Tunisian folk dancing and belly dancing) I have to say this trip was absolutely brilliant and I would highly recommend it - we all had a fabulous day for 173 TDN for 2 adults and 1 child which is about £70.

There is a jewellery stall in the hotel lobby which is fab and excellent value for money, I bought my husband a new wedding ring which was hand made and truly unique - made of gold and silver and extremely cheap at £100, we have had this checked and valued back home and it is indeed 18c gold and sterlng silver as the jeweller stated it would be.

The spa at the hotel was excellent, I chose a 2.5hr package which included a turkish bath, seaweed body scrub and full body massage amungst other treatments for £40!!

This hotel was booked as it was showing as "Thomson recommended" and 4* at the time I booked it last June but I wouldn't even rate it as 3*, its more like a 2* at a push.

If you want cheap youre happy with cheap without the cheerful the hotel will be fine, if youve booked hoping for a fab family holiday to remember then please consider looking at other hotels within Tunisia - preferrably in the Sousse area as this was a huge resort with plenty to do ie shops, bars, restaurants etc.

All 3 of us ended up with at least one bout of sickness and diarrhoea during our stay which could have been the food (more than likely) and I have returned covered in mosquito bites, several of which have become infected and I now have a nasty innfection from the bites which I'm currently taking v strong anti-biotics for although this isnt the hotels fault please take plenty of protecton from mosquitos (I used repellant and a plug in for the room but I was stll bitten at least 40 times

Room Tip: A trip to the spa is well worth the money take your own plastic pint or half pint cups
1  Thank Andrea W
Reviewed October 31, 2012

2 adults and 2 children aged 5 and 2 years - 24th October to 31st October
The hotel in its hay day would have been lovely however is now very tired and run down.
The staff are very clever and give you a better service towards the end of your holiday to get a better tip.
Staff are however very friendly
1. Cot - Old and tired - had to ask for clean sheets for it
2. 2 towels - 4 people
3. Ants in the bed and all over the floor constantly
4. Food - Terrible - Poor quality and left out for far too long, howver if you like omlettes then you'll be fine! my two choldren have lived on bread and pasta for a week!
5. Pillows like rock - did manage to get some more though
6. Drinks - again poor quality and sick of drinking out of plastic beakers
General overall is, if it hadn't of cost us quite a lot of money because of the school holidays and it had of been a cheap holiday for a couple and not a family i probably would have been ok with it, but when you have two children is a poor family holiday and we certainly will not be returning anytime soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
salma h, Responsable commercial at Houda Golf and Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

dear sir
we would like to thank you for commenting your holiday on trip advisor and according your remarks ,they have been all noted,
make sure that we are working hardly to ameliorate our services quality and w propose you to visit us again in the Houda golf & beach
Best regards
Salma Hkaiem
Sales & marketing Department
Houda hotels Tunisia

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I can't believe some of the bull being published on here about this hotel. Especially the bit about having to set your alarm for 0230 to get a sun bed! I went down every morning about 7am and was always one of the first! There were loads of beds and mattresses and I don't think there was a day where every one was being used. The beach is just outside the hotel through a gate and was lovely and clean. There was a security man there who kept the pathway swept and rinsed off your feet before you left the beach. As for jelly fish, we never got stung once. And even if we had that is hardly the hotel's fault. As for the alcohol, the lager is pumped from barrels the same as the UK so I would like to know how they water that down! The spirits certainly got us very merry as well. Don't believe these people who say it is non alcoholic. God knows what they drink at home if they didn't find the booze there got them drunk! The swimming pools were great and the water slides were awesome, the kids loved them. Our room was a suite as we were 2 adults and 2 kids so the kids had their own adjoining room with shower, toilet etc which was great for them and us. The rooms were clean and tidy with everything you need. Perhaps a kettle and tea/coffee would have been a nicety but we didn't miss not having it. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The food was ok, the soups lovely and loads of fresh crusty bread every meal time. There was always something to eat even if you didn't like all of what was on offer. Let's not forget, this is a budget hotel, not Virgin Rock Star Barbados. Overall we had a lovely week there 21st-28th Oct and would thoroughly recommend it. We won't be going back but that is only because I won't return to any place as there are thousands of places we still want to go and see so why return to the same place over and over again? Don't be put off by the scare mongering on here, we was and it is pretty much all unfounded. Go there with the attitude it isn't the Maldives but it is clean, friendly and with a great water park for the kids and nice beach. Enjoy!

3  Thank Anthony J

Dear Sir
we highly appreciate your positive feed back on trip advisor and would like to inform you that we are making some works to ameliorate our service quality ,that's why we propose you to come back next year to enjoy our good weather and beautiful sea
Best regards
salma Hkaiem
Sales & marketing department
HOUDA HOTELS TUNISIA

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed 1st 2 weeks October. After reading reviews was very worried and did think about changing hotels. Then reviews got bit better so stuck with it. SO SO GLAD I did. First family holiday and we all loved it. OK rooms basic and few problems but sorted straight away. Cleanliness in this hotel unbelievable always cleaning. Stray cats here but get moved on by workers so no problem didn't bother us. Waiters, bar staff, shop workers, reception staff everyone was brilliant. But the people who made the holiday was Ben and the animation team. All these reviews about them prowling for the young girls and to be careful of them!! ABSOLUTE RUBBISH they are doing their jobs and go around getting all ages shapes sizes and both sexes to join in the fun. They are genuine people with big hearts. We had a brilliant time with them and they go out their way to get you what you want. As for tipping they dont expect to be tipped and give you just the same respect if you tip or not. After 2 weeks there and service they give we tipped throughout as our choice and they are most grateful sermings their wages are low. But they all have a smile regardless on their faces. Go here and find out for yourselves I'm looking to book now for a week in February to celebrate my daughters birthdays where they will be 18 and 16 do I need to be concerned about them with the employees NOT AT ALL . Thanks Ben and all the staff for a excellent time and see you in next few months xx

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank annmlp75

Dear guest
We sincerely would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your last stay at the HOUDA GOLF & BEACH club .
we propose you to visit us again and to spend a wonderfull holiday between us
according to your booking for february ,we are very sorry to inform you that the hotel wil be closed in the winter for renovation works,the reopening will be on the firt of Mach 2013
we will be glad to welcoming you again
*best regrads
Salma Hkaiem
sales and marketing manager
HOUDA HOUTELS TUNISIA

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have just arrived back from a brilliant week in Tunisia. We were unsure what to expect as we usually only go 5* but it was great. The food was lovely, lots of choice and all fresh, (often cooked in front of you). It was very clean and the staff couldn't do enough to help.
The entertainment was also fun for kids and adults, and of course the water park was a huge hit with the kids.
We went in half term week and the hotel was busy but we never had to queue for the slides or have to fight for sun loungers.
One afternoon it rained alittle but we had great fun in the excellent indoor pool.
The rooms were a liitle tired but very clean and always hot water for a bath or shower any time of the day.
Would recommend!!!! Lisa Mcv.

dir sir
we would like to thank you very much for your feed back ,we appreciate the way you comment your trip and we propose you to visit us again in the HOUDA GOLF & BEACH ;ti enjoy our good weather
best regards