“Wow,what the hell happened to this hotel which I left a good review only 4 months ago..terrible”
Review of Houda Skanes

Houda Skanes
Ranked #29 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
newport south wales
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We went here in may 2012 and had such a good time we decided to go back again,the hotel was a completely different place,bad food was the main thing we didn't have one good meal in the week we were there and suffered bad stomachs for 3 days along with a lot of other guests,dirty towels,broken sun loungers really sharp everywhere,cheeky bar staff who wouldn't even smile when serving u and even tried charging us for bottles of water which are free in all inclusive holidays,the room cleanliness was poor and always smelt of sewers,ants were in the room.not 1or two,but hundreds..we were gutted,but not all bad,the room location was good,pool and sea view which was nice,the weather was amazing as were the water sports,the location is excellent real nice beach and the entertainment team did do there best to amuse and entertain you but still not brilliant,but the hotel is being taken over in 2 weeks so maybe there's hope for this once amazing holiday hotel,wilk we try 1 morze time when it reopens?? We will have a think,all I can say is at the moment I'd recommend that you avoid as it was a total shambles...I hate giving bad reports but we have had too this time

1 Thank greg p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just returned from a week at the Houda Skanes. Have to agree with all the poor reviews - the holiday was saved only by the lovely beach. The food is terrible. Unhygienic and a total let down. We survived on bread and chips. Mealtimes were chaotic. No crockery to be found and endless queueing (by the Brits that is - the other guests had no such scruples but simply barged in whenever they wanted). The drinks were disgusting - as everyone else comments, they tasted of perfume. Thankfully we had stocked up at the duty free shop. The staff virtually ignored us although I would say that by tipping 10 dinar a day the room was at least given a basic clean and fresh towels left. The daily tipping to the pool man ensured we got sunbeds by the pool. A rip off and an experience never to be repeated. We weren't expecting a luxury hotel for £1000 but we did expect a decent basic one. I could go on but the other reviewers have pretty much said it all - just don't go near this dump.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Monastir hotels

Lublin, Poland
Reviewed September 29, 2012

hotel was generally bad but i think its about tunisia.flies are attackin u nonstop and u wont be able to eat ur meal.if u wanna swim u shud find some place which is not messed by camels.probably nobody cleans beaches.80% of places we have been were stinky.and about hotel, if u will expect 4 star quality u will dissapoint much.except cakes almost everything was shocking for us.staff unfriendly if u are not a girl with bikini talkin to them.u wont know to whom to complain, all they do flirting with tourists around.animators are extra annoying and wont let u rest a minute.music they play is either not cool.u are askin for a drink and u have an answer that they have no glasses and u shud find it somewhere to have a drink.and u find one of those plastic stinky glasses , go back to beg them to have red sweet wine, so that u will get a white dry wine if u are lucky.and one more thing; dun leave ur valuable stuffs in ur room either in safe boxes which are possible to be stolen together with the shelf of closet.

Room Tip: dun choose 0 floor as they may break into the room through a balkony
York
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We arrived at 4 am on Tuesday morning the hotel was in total darkness, as they turned on the light we were greeted by a cockroach running across the floor and dead flies everywhere. Not a great start after filling in the paper work. We were shown to our room this was down a very dark corridor, bins lying all over floor for you to trip over!! I nearly tripped over, one of these bins if I haven’t seen it at last minute. The man went charging ahead, leaving to follow the sound of the wheels to guide us No lighting what’s so ever!!!! The room has the last persons left belongings still in the room; the towels were used and very dirty! No plug in bath, NO where to put the shower to wash yourself the toilet seat was very badly cracked so when you sat down on it, it nipped and hurt your skin and the smell was so bad in the room.

At breakfast we were appalled at the condition of the dining room there were flies everywhere especially all over the food we were meant to be eating. The table clothes were very dirty, never set up properly for meals; the staffs were very impolite toward the guest too. Meal times are a catastrophe the food at times inedible and monotonous though the flies didn’t seem to notice as much as we did, the seating arrangements can only be described as disorganised at the least. Every meal time was chaotic; it was very hard to find a hygienic and clean table to sit at. They were never fully set up either; you had to hunt for cutlery and glasses.

We did complain to our rep Yasmine, about the very poor standard of the hotel, about the hygiene of the food been served, (flies all over food what we had to eat) about how dirty the room was with unclean towels. We very disheartened to be sent to a hotel in this state. Yamine said she could move us to another hotel at a cost of £150.00 plus taxi or £1000.00. With a hotel this inferior we felt we should have been moved free of charge, she did make a note of our complaint plus it was written in the complaints book along with hundreds more complaints!!. She did make sure they move us to another, which had a working shower and bath plus a toilet seat that was not broken like all the ones in reception and rest of hotel! The room was a great size, shame they did not clean them properly. This is disgusting; this hotel should be taken off your books until it sorts its self out. This hotel has once been a very beautiful hotel, unfortunately it has been left to get so badly run down! We would have paid to move hotel but felt let down that we should not have had to pay; every guest in the hotel was complaining and filling in the complaint book at reception. This was meant to be an all-inclusive hotel they did not provide beach towels, enough toilet roll and no toiletries for the guest. The cleaned the rooms daily but hair and dirt was always there for you to plainly see, the hair had stayed on the floor all week. All the surfaces had a layer of dirt on them, they never wiped them down.

The pool is clean but there are nowhere near enough sunbeds for everyone either at the pool or on the beach. Some days we had to just sit on the floor and wait! Most of the sunbeds were broken. People were reserving the sunbeds about 5.30 every morning with their towels, all day but don't actually use them that are round the pool and beach. The pool man never stopped this happening.
The rooms and all the hotel is meant to be air conditions, the air-conditioning is useless it’s pointless .It did not work at all.

Animation team (James, Charara, Zouba, Oudy etc.) were AMAZING they really made the holiday for me! The entertainment team work very hard with young people. If it rains there is nothing to do, plus there is not enough seating for the entire guest to use.
They provided fresh doughnuts every day which were so big; this was very popular especially as it made up for the poor food.

I spoke to a guide who stated profits were becoming tight so the manager was unable to make improvements to the hotel and to us this is definitely showing, he also stated not many British were coming.
I have to say to any other British do not come here, it's shocking how bad it is .I did take lots of photos of things like flies on my food, in my drinks, state of the sun beds and seating. Only to be asked to stop taking picture to complain my staff. They are annoyed at everyone complaining everyday and asked my not to sent my pictures in!!

Room Tip: If you are willing to tip well over the top, you are always asked for tips from each one
2 Thank Tanya O
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Just got back yesterday was going there to celebrate my 50 birthday after a 51/2 hour transfer after the driver didn't no where he was going we thought we would make the best of it
NOW take note please
Maid was Anna she introduced herself the next morning she didn't make the bed at all or change the sheets only on the day before we went but what she did do was let herself in our room at least three times whilst we were there each day laying on bed because of bad air conditioning or taking the towels and leaving us wiv two tiny ones but other times no reason seeing us there and leaving ........
My hubby took his jeans to airport yesterday so he could change into them before we boarded the plane. There had been two fifty pound notes in his jeans to change up at airport to buy me a pressie at the airport along with his credit card BOTH FIFTIES were gone......
now it was so hot there he had not put them on during the week but folded them up near his side of the bed so we know they were there ...yes he should have hidden them but u never expect it we have been to Egypt many times and this has never happened
We told the pice at the airport but they didn't understand I have been in touch with the hotel three times and I am waiting for the manager to ring me back I am now going to unpack to see if anything else is missing..
Please be warned what others have said about hotel and the cleanliness is all true but do not expect honest staff.

essex
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed in this hotel from 12 Sep till 19th Sep. I can say it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The start of the holiday we had to pay 10 pound English money to get a decent room which wasnt that good. The air con was so slow u couldn't feel it. The food was disgusting and full of flys. My husband got bad stomach craps and runs he couldn't eat and he had to go to the chemist his self to get treatment. The rep was not much help. The drinks were watered down and the spirits taste of perfume. If u r English don't go there as thay only cater for the Russians and Germans. The only good thing was the beach. The hotel is all for money coz if u don't pay tips u don't get Notting. Thay come every morning to do your room but tha don't change the sheets tha don't give u towels for the pool. If u want a lay in well forget it as u get woken up every day by slamming doors and banging. The staff r very rude and don't do any thing for u. All I can say is dont go there. Janette and mark

bolton
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Well were shall i start this is a dated hotel but rooms ok, not cleaned very well but fresh bedding and towels every day.We arrived to make our way to our room in the dark not good,food just ok but had to wait most meals for stocks to be replemished very annoying never any plates or cutlery when staff informed they just shrugged ,sweet table was fly city.Went to the alacarte resteraunt food a bit better they sprayed to kill flies but just left them all over the table and on floor.The only drinks that we could drink were wine and beer,as every thing else had a strong perfume taste, never any proper glasses beer given in a wine glass lol,waiters rude a made sexual comments towards myself even when my husband was present.Pool clean but nearly every sun bed was broken. I could go on and on and please dont take your babies as the cots are left on the corridor to the stairs but hotel cats bedded down in them every night! One nice comment the manager helped us when our taxi was late, overall i would not rate this hotel at all but as we are british we made the most of a bad job helped by the fact we met some really nice people that were in the same situation.

2 Thank champagnesharon