“ASH/COOK. SOUTH WALES 21Sep-5Oct 2013”

smartline Skanes Serail
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
newport gwent
“ASH/COOK. SOUTH WALES 21Sep-5Oct 2013”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed in room 203 and my brother and sister-in- law in 201. Great location very quiet over looking front of hotel and gardens. Although Monistir Airport is across the road it never intruded on our holiday. Do not take Travellers cheques we found it very difficult to exchange them, stick to currency or atm, good rates everywhere. Take an extension lead only one plug socket in the rooms, which are very spacious and cleaned everyday. Do take insect repellent although we didnt get bitten flies are a nusiance but funniliy enough mostly around 4.30pm to 5.30pm lol. I dint see any bugs of any sort in our room. Dont bother with the tv remote it can be turned on manually, take some books or a kindle the beach is a fantastic place to relax. The sand is white, the sea is very shallow and amazingly clear and sunbeds and shade is avaliable free of charge. You can hire mattresses at 40p a day if you want, and towels but I took a couple of beach towels with us and I would take a lilo if you need it.,but if you want to put your sunbed in the sea and cool off you cant take the mattress too! There are also motorsports for hire, paragliding etc.
The hotel is lovely do not listen to any one who says otherwise, there were definately some professional moaners out there! The food was great I enjoyed every meal, I suppose some things were repeated but I always found something I hadnt had before. There were a good choice of drink availiable from soft drinks to vodka, although a couple of Dinar did make a difference to the size of them.
The Animation team are FANTASTIC I agree. If you wanted too, you good do an activity from 10 am to midnight, they kept everyone entertained and were very friendly even if you didnt have the inclination to join in!
Monistir is only a short tax ride away, about 7 Dinar (£2.50) and well worth a visit. Also Sousse has loads of shops , restarants etc and is well worth a visit ,15-20 Dinar (£7-10).
We also went on to the Zoo, this trip also included a 10 course meal drinks and entertainment- a fantastic day and well worth the 75 Dinar per person,(£30).
The weather was briliiant temp between 28 and 35 the whole time, although take a little cardigan there is a breeze at night which takes you a couple of days to get used to. Other than that just wear whatever is comfortable, linens,casual tops and comfy sandals are great.
This was a holiday booked online and after reading some of the reviews I had doubts, But dont let the bad reviews put you of. This is a great hotel, we all had a brialliant time and I wouldnt hesitate recommending it.

Room Tip: Take extension lead and two pin plug. Do not take travellers cheques. Take insect repellent spray...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gashhas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Location was hard to find at first but once we got there the staff where very helpful had a nice and relaxing time lovely pool what made it most was the animation staff dj happy, Mimi , Ben , dido , Sylvia and pop lovely people great with kids and grown ups too and great entertainers :)

1 Thank Stewppt
Reviewed October 6, 2013

By far the worst food I have had on an all inclusive holiday, on the other hand the animation staff were first class. The best animation team I have come across, the alcohol was clearly watered down. The food was the same every day. The rooms were tidy but not cleaned to a very high standard. The pool was nice and warm but I can't say enough about the animation staff they did all they could to make our holiday better

4 Thank Andyballard

Travelers are raving about these Monastir hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Just got back from this hotel and all I can say is that we will not go back there again.
The hotel itself is clean and our rooms were cleaned every day with out fail, we had fresh towels as well, however I nor my hubby have never seen or had to deal with so may flies in the hotel, grounds and beach, we had ants all over our room and we were on the thrid floor! and we have been to Tunisia four times.

The food is bland and tastes and smells the same, as for the breakfast all I can say is that I have eaten more eggs in the last two weeks than I have in the last two years. We realised that the freshest meals were all served on the lunch time, for the night time they served up what was left over from that lunch time and the previous night, the salad was just stored in a fridge and then put back day day after day so towards the end of the week the tomatoes were at least four days old.

As for the Ala carte well that was just as bad as the food in the main resturants, however if you paid for the food in the Ala Carte, you got a better quality of food. you also had to pay for water, beach towels, sun matteresses, safe and remote controls for the telly, (however in our room 316, you could turn the telly on manually, so we returned the remote and got our money back!) However the pillows were very very lumpy, and we couldnt have a shower because it would flood the room so we had to make do with a bath.

The pool was kept very clean and the life guard/pool man there was really good,he cleaned it everyday as well as checked the pool. The beach was nice and they did try and keep it as clean as they could, however we could sometimes smell what we thought was sewage, and although we had a walk down the beach we couldnt see any sewage going into the sea, but the smell could have been coning from waste ground that is surrounding the hotel.

The waiters and bar staff could be rude and abrupt, and we were served drinks in what I can only describe as plastic tooth brush holders,but, dependent on who served you you sometimes got real glasses!

Luckily for us the weather was great, so out holiday wasnt a total disaster, but I can understand why some people were very upset with this hotel, and I will not go back there again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shellsbells17
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is dreadful, me and my fiancée got there at 2am only to be told that they were fully booked and got shoved into a hotel called golden beach a few hundred yards down road which was equally as bad. We ended up walking back to the hotel in morning, when we got there nobody knew what they were doing. When finally getting our room (which my partner paid extra for a large double) it was 2 single beds pushed up together with a tv older than my mums nan! The food was absolutely diabolical, nothing fresh same crap different day, had to pay for water and mattresses for sunbeds, it's in the middle of nowhere and the animation team was annoying as hell unless you like cabaret and bingo, it's like a Tunisian Butlins! if your English god help you! Just full of drunk Russians and Polish(must have got there drinks in duty free cos you can't get drunk, believe me I tried!) if it wasn't for the weather and meeting a lovely couple think we would have got the next flight out! And whatever you do don't buy anything from the shop that sells jewellery, my partner got a ring and paid a substantial amount as she was promised time and time again it was silver. This however became there downfall because within 2 days it was green and she's not the type to have her pants pulled down, after a few hours of arguing she got a real one(not turned colour yet)!! This is a dreadful hotel and must be avoided at all costs, I enjoyed Tunisia but this hotel ruined it and I can safely say I will not be returning!! This place looks nice but don't be fooled, it's just missing Basel faulty!

4 Thank Vinster1982
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

4 star, no way. Sea view room we had paid for, well we looked into a wall and had to go right to the window to look round a corner for our sea view. Bathroom was pitiful and flooded every time we used it and we had to use our towels to mop up the water and then housekeeping didn't bother to replace the soaking wet towels. Customer service was either very good or very very bad. Food was dreadful and both my partner and I got food poisoning whilst there. The animation staff were good and the pool area was ok.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alison W
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We just returned from 2 weeks vacation with two kids 6 and 7 years old. They had a great time at this sunny place and wish to come back again. The best advantages of the hotel are location (at the beach), nice and well kept pool, pleasant garden, and super animation team. A great thank you to all the animators who were friendly and always smiling, especially to Mimi who always had some activities and a lot of heart to the children. They loved to spend time with her and their favourite time of the day was the night mini-disco. She really did her best to manage a group of children speaking different languages and at different ages. Wish only the mini club was better equipped with some toys, maybe some dancing or other classes for kids would be a good idea. The playground is sufficient however should really be renovated, some paint is not a great cost. The minuses - the food was not always acceptable by children, they sometimes did not eat really anything more than tomatoes and meat. The only great plus for the desserts; they are indeed the first class and best of all menu. We were disappointed to receive a poor room, despite the tip in the passport at the check in, the room was not at all the first quality in this hotel, and I doubt it was the standard we paid for (should be family room), no covers, only extra sheets, lots of ants, broken door to the balcony, and corks not working in both tab and sink. The hotel is generally clean, but unfortunately mostly in the main areas, while the stairs and long dark corridors were usually dirty which made a very poor impression each walk to and back to the room. Restaurant service leaves a lot of room for improvement, with special or rather proper treatment to those who tipped, and practically no service to others. Still, due to location (close to the airport so very quick transfer with no negatibve impact on the rest), nice garden and clean pool we would recommend it for families with children. Again thanks to Mimi, Sylvia, Dido, Pop, Ben and all for their never ending smiles and jokes and entertainment

Room Tip: If you pay for family room ask for 152
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family