“Relaxing, excellent value family holiday”

El Mouradi Djerba Menzel
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Midoun
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here in May for a fortnight with our children both under 4. We had a fantastic holiday. We loved the food, especially fish and the vast choice of Mediterranean style salads. Our room in the menzel blocks was large and cleaned spotlessly every day. We enjoyed going to the small beach next to sun set bar each day. Only criticism of the hotel was the problem with the large amount of sea wead on the beach. Workers did their best to clear it each day, and would arrive with a digger and tractor for an hour each day. Shame they did it in the middle of the day when everyone wanted to enjoy the beach and not watch the noisy machinery doing it's job. And it was quite dangerous doing it where small children were playing. But this aside we really enjoyed the hotel, food, beach and trips around the island. We were wary when booking after reading some bad reviews online. But the hotel, staff and food completely exceeded all our expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms in menzel blocks are quiet are surrounded by trees and flowers.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for El Mouradi Djerba Menzel

Reviewed August 22, 2013

so i+ve just come back and i am really happy that i was there. i really enjoyed it. I can say that Djerba is really beautiful island and that i will probably come back some day. Hotel was really big and when i first came there i actually didn't know where my room was and i lost few times. So hotel is great and people there are really nice but rooms are not clean. and the whole hotel is really dirty. But that's all other things are great. Food is so good and beach is really beautiful. So i just wanted to say if you go to this hotel you need to know that there is a lot of cats like everywhere and rooms are not really beautiful but that's all. hope you'll visit the hotel :)
byy :))

1  Thank KellyPayne
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Yet again I write a review in contrast to people whom I can't believe stayed at the same resorts, perhaps nothing will make them happy!

Please, please ignore the negative reviews, I have stayed at many hotels, and this was well worthy of it's 4 stars, I guess I'll start by addressing the points raised in the previous review (by Daenn "not the best holiday") as it looks like they were there at the same time as me, if you travel from Gatwick with Thomas Cook you will arrive around 11pm, yes the hotel did offer us a meal prior to checking in, but this was to ensure you got fed, not to delay checking in, we had eaten and got checked in very quickly we were give a good map and shown where you Menzel was on it, although a porter did carry our bags for us and in the dark this did help. We were in a room by 11.15, we were in Menzel T, which is at the back of the resort very large and very quiet.

The air con was fine as was everything else in the room, the pools (all of them) were spotless all the time, and the food wasn't the same every day at lunch and the evening, I have no idea what food Daenn was looking at but the variety was amazing and something for every pallet, including a kids corner with chips, mashed potato and plan checked and burgers. I never queued for food, Ok some people did wait for a pizza or Panini, but watch the queue and go when it slackens off - common sense!, I had Pizza's twice and never queued.

The staff (all without exception) were brilliant, helpful and polite, lunch and evening drinks are served at the table, and if you sit in the same place the waiter remembers you and has drinks ready and waiting, water is in abundance, we took a bottle of still and sparkling with us every night back to the room, and full bottles were left at the table, how Daenn was unable to get water at 8am, when the restaurant is open from 6 with flowing water and just round the corner from reception - I have no idea! - and take one with you the night before!

And self service Daenn - its and all inclusive with a buffet, what did you expect? although I will say this, this is the first AI I've been to with table service for drinks

Now some things from my point of view.

Food, plenty and high quality, its and all inclusive buffet in the main restaurant, you should know by now what to expect, we did go the the BBQ restaurant and this was brilliant, we went twice, you do need a reservation though as they limit numbers - so no queues!

Drinks, again absolutely fine, water (bottled) non stop, always left at the table and no issue with taking as much as you want to your room or sun bed, beer was fine and wine more than acceptable and usually a bottle left at the table as well, I didn't drink the spirits so can't comment my daughter enjoyed the Mojito's

Staff, all very polite and helpful, as always I tip, but then my view is this, if I go to a restaurant in the UK I would leave a tip, just because I have paid AI doesn't mean good service should go un rewarded, I tipped the bar man at the pool bar and never left my sun bed the whole week, every half hour or so he would bring drinks for all four of us (he remembered our order) and a full bottle of fizzy water, I tipped the waiter in the main bar (with WiFi) and again drinks kept coming - didn't queue or have to wait, I tipped the water in the restaurant and he reserved the same table for us every night and on the last night decorated it with flowers and napkins, I take $'s with me so tipping a single dollar bill is about 65p, and as it's paper money they can change it, and it's easy to keep the tip topped up to keep the service going, just budget an extra £20 into the cost of your holiday to have first class service, and don't be tight, you would tip here in the UK, so you should there, it's just being a decent human being, and do you know what karma, you tip and be decent you get it back in spades!

Rooms, fine, we stayed in Menzel T, with two rooms next to each other, I could see nothing wrong, and the beds were so comfy!

Cats, didn't bother me I really didn't see that many, yes they were around but has half the guests kicked and shooed them away and the other half said hello, the cats were pretty wary any way, we made friends with a cat behind our room, who had a litter of six kittens, the hotel left food out every night and welcomed guests feeding them at the feeding stations.

Pools, big and clean

Hawking, there was hardly any, and a polite conversation and advising them of what you do and do not want to do deals with it all any way - again karma, same with animation we are all too old for that game now and they left us alone

Can't think of much else to add, but please, please ignore the negative reviews, I think these people will never be happy, remember to tip and be polite and you get it back, why do we brits abroad believe the world owes us, and just because you've paid for a holiday doesn't make all the staff slaves.

One last thing mentioned a coupe of times about 'needing a good manager' or 'staff training', this is rubbish, it's these people that have been on holiday that need managing on how to have fun, unwind and relax!!!

If you allow yourself to, you will have a fantastic holiday, please feel free to ask any questions, happy to help

15  Thank sjbullnet
Reviewed August 19, 2013

we've just come back from a lovely relaxing holiday here. i'm not sure the previous reviewers stayed but our block was fine, the resort is spralling so it's a nice walk to the centre (about 3 to 4 mins walk) plenty of flowers everywhere and palm trees. we arrived late with a bus load of people, were served as soon as they could but 45 people take a few mins, there was food if we needed it and plenty of bottles of water too. we were taken by golf buggy to our room which was air conditioned-no extra cost and worked without the key being in it, even whilst your not there. the towels were shaped like swans and it was clean and tidy. no strange smells at all the fridge was working and kept the water cool. there was food available all day there was a queue for the crepes in the afternoon but only for a few mins and it was worth the wait! pizza and cheese toasties also as snacks very good. the resort is full of people peak times so queuing for the barbecue food in the restaurant is inevitable. but they're not too bad, if you go early or later there are no queues at all. there is plenty of bottled water at meal time, no cost and plenty of wine and soft drinks too. if you are friendly to the waiters they are friendly back, we built up quite a rapport with some and they are good for a laugh. the animaton team are great and the dancing is good for a giggle. they work long hours and still have boundless energy. there are lots of activities to do all day and they're great fun. the beach is lovely and the sea is warm, great snorkling, lots of fish and sea creature to see. the spa is great, a must go when you're there. great to maximise the tan and have a lovely massage. the spa team are very friendly.the pools are clean and warm, there was no mould in any of them. there were sometimes a few black bits that had blown in by the nice sea breeze, but the pool attendants regularly used a net to get them out. the salty pools were easy to float in and relax and tan! there was a non salty pool for those who don't want one but we were ok with it. you can walk along the beach a see lovely sunsets and take great snaps we wondered down the beach and met friendly locals relaxing too. there were loads of sunbeds so you can lie in without the rush to put your towels down in the morning, pool side you can turn up at lunch time and still get a bed, which helps with your relaxation. plenty on the beach too. the pound is strong against local money so it goes a long way, water sports etc were all good value and if you tip it won't cost the earth.the water went off one evening and it turns out it can sometimes but it's an island issue not a resort issue, it was no real hastle the dining room still was working and there was plenty of bottled water etc, it only lasted a couple of hours and the staff were helpful. there were some guests who kicked up a real rumpass about it, i don't know what they were hoping to achieve, they couldn't fix a problem that was not their doing!! we would certainly go back here again, it was relaxing, sunny and hassle free.

Room Tip: have a room not too close to the sunrise disco as it goes on till the early hours!!
6  Thank chilledntanned
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 11pm and was told to go to eat before they checked us all in. I didn't want to eat and persisted they checked me in and showed me my room.

We were booked into the Y block. The air conditioning was broken. The balcony door was broken and didn't lock and the fridge was empty and broken. I called reception who sent out a maintenance man to try and fix everything, but fixed nothing.

The main swimming pool was filthy, which had black mould floating on the top of it and dirt on the floor of it.

The food wasn't good and was basically the same for lunch and dinner daily. They were queues for everything and it was very badly organised. There are light snacks round the pools, pizza, sandwich and crepe's but you will queue for an hour.

The staff are really unhelpful and need to go on a hospitality course. I was unable to get a bottle of water at 8am and was told the bar will open at 9am. I asked to speak to a manger or supervisor, and explained that there are no facilities for water near the rooms or in reception. I explained how dangerous it is to be in the heat with no water and asked them why am I wearing an all inclusive wrist band. I did get a bottle of water after a lot hassle.

This hotel is no way a four star, more like a 2 or 3. Very basic and self service.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Daenn
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We arrived late at the hotel, after endless waiting we finally got a key for our room. In this hotel, communication is very poor. The clerk did not tell us how to go to our room, the compound is enormous! Then I got the reception clerck's attention and ask him if someone will show us our room. Then he said to wait outside the door ... There were few couples waiting for a golf car to bring us to the room.
Then we finally arrived, the room is all falling apart. And it smells... Like everything were floated and never got the chance to dry... But it was already very late, we went to bed without having a shower. The bathroom is even worse!
In the morning, we were actually in the back of the hotel ground. We had to jock our memory to find our way back to the reception. No indication were we will have breakfast, so we followed the crowd.
After breakfast I went to ask for other room, he asked why, I said the room smells and then without hestitaion, he said to come back around 1pm. I suppose I was not the only one changing room.
The new room is next to the hotel and much better.

I think the hotel got a lot of potential. The managment needs to be educated. The chaos can then be solved, the cleaning crew can do better jobs and signs can be put up everywhere...

Overall, when we are at poolside, we have enjoyed very much our holiday. Although from the many vacation we have each year, the pool staff is not helpfull enough. People on vacation needs to have a feeling of being of vacation, not doing heavy work by dragging chairs etc under the parasol...

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask or complaint for something you don't like
1  Thank HannyYu
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Just returned from a week at El Mouradi. Excellent hotel that we would recommend.
Direct Transfer from airport took about 45 minutes. Arrived late with just time for a quick beer before going to our room. We had a room in D Block and friends were in I block. (We had requested rooms near each other but no joy). Our room was spacious on 3 levels. On the ground level was the bathroom (with rubbish hairdryer – take your own), a wardrobe with plenty of hanging space including free safe, and a fridge, sadly no kettle or tea making facilities. Stairs led up to the bedroom and another set of stairs to a rooftop terrace overlooking the sea. Beautiful. Our friends had a huge room with a double bed on one side and 2 single beds on the other. Both had TV's but you have to rent the remote so we didn't bother. We turned the Aircon to full blast as it is not very efficient which made it very noisy. Only downside was the bathrooms were old and tired with a funny smell at times. There was also only 1 electric plug socket in the room and the TV was plugged in that, another reason not to bother with the remote. And a warning about the stairs – no banisters or guard so if you get out of bed in middle of night you could fall down the steps.
Buffet restaurant has a huge range of food, including Tunisian specialities, salads, pasta, freshly made pizza and a vegetarian counter. If you can't find anything to eat then you must be really fussy. It made a pleasant change that we weren't offered chips every day. Top marks go to the desserts which were the best I have ever been offered at an all inclusive hotel. Also Ice cream and fresh fruit available every day. Breakfast pastries were wonderful and fresh cooked omelette and pancakes available too, as well as standard breakfast fare.
There are 2 lunchtime restaurants as well with waiter service. Neptune is a BBQ with set starters and desserts and Calypso has a menu to make choice from. You can visit once a week at each but as they were not busy we were allowed in an extra day. There is also an al a carte evening restaurant payable locally which we did not try and another evening restaurant with set menu for once during your stay.
There are a lot of cats around the resort but they do not bother you. They will sit and look at you whilst you are eating but if you ignore them they go away and find someone more gullible.
There were plenty of sun beds around the pools every day. We opted for the fresh water pool and could look out over the sea. The pool bars are open 10-5 and have soft drinks, beer and water. The beer is really nice.
The bars in the evening are at the main building. The waiter service was very slow so we mainly queued at the bar. The bar at the top also has WIFI access.
There is plenty to do during the day. The usual aerobics, water polo, archery, boules, games etc. the animation team are good and do not badger you to join in and are very welcoming to those who do.
I have to admit that I found the evening entertainment a bit dire and actually fell asleep one evening but I suppose it is horses for courses and all a matter of taste.
We took a pedalo out and a kayak for a bit of fun and there are also water sports you pay for which looked good fun and seemed reasonably priced. The quad bike trip was good which we booked through one of the guys on site. (Men selling horse riding, quads, spa treatments etc are roaming around the pools all day). We took a taxi to the Crocodile farm (3TND each way and 15TND entrance fee) and a taxi into town (5TND each way) Taxis are metered. In town have a look in the fixed price shops – all the stuff is basically the same – and then go and haggle with the stalls and shops outside if you wish.
For a deposit of 20TND you can get a pool towel - keep the receipt as the towel card alone is not proof enough to get your money back.
To keep your room on past the 12 o clock check out it costs 10TND per hour and cannot be booked until the morning of departure.
The closed currency business is a bit of a pain. Take sterling and change a bit at a time. The rate was roughly 2.4 dinar to the pound. Make sure you get a receipt when you exchange money. I read somewhere that you can only change back up to 30% of what you changed. And they will not change it back without your receipt.
All in all a lovely time was had by all

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank HJR046
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midoun
Vincci Helios Beach
#22 of 46 in Midoun
SENTIDO Djerba Beach
SENTIDO Djerba Beach
#3 of 103 in Djerba Island

Been to El Mouradi Djerba Menzel? Share your experiences!