“Brilliant”

El Mouradi Djerba Menzel
Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Midoun
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at the el mouradi, what a fantastic time my partner my two teenage sons and myself had!
We stayed in a menzel in y block overlooking the sea, awesome view all day long, the rooms were spacious and very clean, only criticism was it could do with modernising especially the bathroom but seeing as I did not go on holiday to stay in my room the limited time I stayed in it was fine!
All three pools are fantastic we spend the majority of our stay round the round pool overlooking the beach.
You can eat from 6.30 am until midnight if that is was you like, there is plenty of choice and plenty of variety, we were told you could only book to go to the BBQ restaurant and fish restaurant once once per stay, we ate in one or the other every day !
Animation team, those guys work their socks off to make your holiday fun and enjoyable but are also quite happy if you decline, I absolutely loved Zumba wed and sun at 5 with lipo, it was amazing! Two weeks all inclusive I can't wait to go back shame it's gone up by £1600 for next year we all loved it and did to want to go home :-(

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank copefish
Write a ReviewReviews (2,299)

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We travelled to this hotel in July of 2012 for two weeks. Overall this was a fantastic family holiday and excellent value for money. The rooms are large and clean with both large bathrooms and beds. There is a large variety of food with plenty of choice for even the fussiest of eaters. Hotel staff were friendly and happy to help at all times. In addition, the beach was extensive and was kept relatively clean. The only minor cons to consider are the evening entertainment which was rather poor most nights and spoken in around 4 languages (taking a lot of time). Another would be that the hotel is situated in a rather secluded area so you are unable to leave the resort unless on an excursion (therefore unable to escape the evening entertainment). Finally, the main pool is salt water which may not bother some people and there is a smaller pool which is not salt water so not a major downfall. Overall we enjoyed our holiday and would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 81peterm81
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I went mid July 2013, with my girlfriend. Long story short: I had an amazing stay.

To be honest I must admit, having read some less favorable reviews here I was hesitant to book my stay at first. Looking back on it now I'm really glad I went through with it. I didn't feel like writing a review at first, but seeing as some negative reviews here are so blatantly opposite of my experience, I felt compelled to put in my 2 cents.

By the way, I'd like to point out I booked through a travel agency, as they offered me a great price.

To start with my greatest reasing for being so happy: the menzel we got. It was in E block, which is a nice block right on the beach, and had an upper balcony facing the Meditteranean. To be able to hear the waves crashing on the beach from the comfort of your room is fantastic. The beach was literally 20 meters away, if not less. We happened to arrive well after midnight, and the first experience we had was our Menzel with this nice view, atmosphere and the stars above. A terrific start for what would be a good week.

To further describe the menzel: it was a 2-story bungalow, with a bathroom on the ground floor and bedroom and balcony (25 square meters, if not more) on the upper floor. We had AC running 24/7, which did the job fine. We had agreeable temperatures and no excessive noise at all - had a great night's sleep my entire stay.

Do take note that there are a lot of menzels in El Mouradi (I didn't count them, but I'm guessing about 15) and that location is key. I was lucky enough to get a fantastic menzel right at the beach with an ocean facing balcony on the upper floor, but menzels come in all sizes, shapes and locations. They also have menzels with ground floor balconies, or balconies in other directions, or menzels situated at the entrance of the hotel grounds (a 5 minute walk from the hotel building, 10 from the beach). Your mileage may vary.

I also have one negative thing to say here though: the menzel bathroom could have used a makeover, and should probably have gotten one a few years ago. I wouldn't call it dirty, and I certainly couldn't find any cockroaches or mold. The cleaning staff was very friendly as well and they made sure everything was spotless. But the interior of the bathroom was just worn. The door could have used a fresh lick of paint, the bathtub wouldn't suffer from a good scrub or just a plain out replacement. I didn't really like the marble slabs of stone on the wall, but admittedly that's personal opinion. All in all it wasn't bad, and it felt clean, but it was certainly lacking a level of detail that I expect of a hotel. This is literally the only thing I see as a slighly negative experience.

The food: there are buffet breakfasts (including late breakfasts), lunches and dinners in the main building (restaurant l'Olivier). There's a wide array of food to choose from, and what's on offer can change slightly from day to day, with some days emphasizing fish (with freshly caught fish being prepared or cooked) and other days with a differnet ingredient such as French fries instead of mashed or regular potaties. Of course due to the number of guests it's food of the industrial kitchen type, so don't expect haute cuisine, but the meals were tasty and very enjoyable. There's also a stand near the main building where you can assemble a pizza and have it baked on the spot during the entire afternoon and evening, and you can get pancakes and pannini's, and once again pizza's near the main pool as well, at times spread throughout the day. You won't go hungry a second.

A tip of the hat to the waiting staff: even in the middle of Ramadan and on an empty stomach they were doing their best to clear and prepare tableware. Some guests were very rude to them and they certainly didn't deserve that. We ourselves were treated perfectly fine by all staff we encountered and they have my sympathy for having to deal with some badly mannered guests.

Side note: There are also two restaurants, a BBQ restaurant by the sea and a fish restaurant by the main swimming pool, which you can lunch at once each week. We chose the BBQ one, and had a great meal. Really nice setting.

The pools: one huge central pool, which has all the main ambience and entertainment, and two pools in quieter locations near the sea: one salt water, one fresh. I only used the two quieter pools as my goal was to relax, not be entertained. The pools are huge, and very clean. Enjoyed them a lot. And of course there's also the beach: equally calming and clean. A very shallow sea too.

We did two additional excursions while at El Mouradi: one trip to ksar Ghilane near the Tunesian Sahara, where we rode on camelback, and one evening activity of horseback riding near the coast. There's a lot of guided activities you can do. If you like to go off the beaten path and visit towns and markets Djerba probably isn't fit for you as there's not really much to do besides visiting Houm Souk or Midoun.

One last thing: there's a bar by the southernmost shore, which has a great view over the bay and a fantastic atmosphere at dusk. We took some fantastic photos of the dawning sun, really amazing. Unfortunately the bar's not part of the all-inclusive programme so drinks are to be payed, but the staff is very friendly and the prices are fair (slightly below what I would pay for drinks on a night out in Western Europe). We went there several times during our stay, to enjoy some wine or cocktails. It's well worth it.

(I could write tons more, but allow me to jump to conclusions:)

So, do I recommend El Mouradi Djerba Menzel? Yes.They have a lot to offer for a very good price, and you can't possibly do a better deal in my eyes. In fact, for the price I paid it was a steal. Besides some small details, like the bathroom that could use rejuvenation, my stay was fantastic. I was looking for a relaxing holiday to recharge and come to rest, and El Mouradi did a very good job of providing just that.

Room Tip: The menzels in E block are right by the beach. Menzel E12 has a great view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank DavidFromBelgium
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Have done all inclusive for years with Thomas Cook but always 4 star plus and usually Egypt. This is a definite 3 star and shows ! Our Menzel was smelly and air con broke when we arrived so we asked to be moved next day. Menzels are on 3 floors so not ideal when 2 of us on middle floor and 3rd person top floor with bathroom on ground. Some staff lovely but others rude and unhelpful. Tip is to take a plastic breaker for water from pool dispenser as plastic cups are dreadful. Sunbeds all gone by 7am! Food fine and wide choice. Drinks strong and wine,beer really nice. Beach towels can be hired from reception for 20 dinar each which you get back! Lots of lovely tame cats around! Overall would not go back and there were a number of us on return coach who had had to move rooms which says something about standards! Expect what you pay for with no frills!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel is so amazing! I had so much fun! There is always something to do-from daily activities to evening animations and late night beach parties. It's pure awesome! The staff is so nice and easy to talk to. The animation team (OMG, the animation team!) is so nice and friendly, they always know how to cheer people up! And they dance really well! The food is also amazing! I have nothing against this hotel, the prices are reasonable and it really lives up to the standards! I recomend it to everyone who's just looking for a way to spend the day and have fun!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mariny B
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went with my teenage daughter for a week (6-13th july). Was on mainland Tunisia last year so expected more of the same. It wasn't. Djerba was a lot more relaxed and no one had their hand out for tips every five minutes.
ROOMS-- We stayed in a menzel. Was worried after reading some reviews but it was fine. rooms are spacious and clean. Was five minutes walk to main hotel but that never bothered us as we liked that it was so quiet at night. Take your own hairdryer cos one included is worse then useless
POOLS---- pools are beautiful. what I found amazing was how easy it was to get a sunbed with a parasol! other hotels u had to be up at 6. here we used to stroll down and get one around 10. there was even empty ones in the afternoon.
BEACHES--- totally fell in love with all the little coves. Stunning coastline and crystal clear water. as there are several beaches u can take your pick. Again sunbeds with parasols seemed plentiful
Food wasn't the best but its all-inclusive food so don't expect too much. Theres always something you will find you like. Cant comment on the alcohol as I don't really drink.
THINGS TO DO--We did the day trip to flamingo island and the beach there is to die for. You go on pirate ship and get to swim in sea at flamingo island for couple of hrs then have lunch there. cost about £25 each
Quad biking-- defo recommend this. 2 ppl cost 50td (about £19) and u go quadding round the island for 90mins. amazing way to see the island and great fun. Going round it looks like a war zone in parts... buildings left derelict and others being built. I loved it as was so different from home. we did 3 different quad trips. :)
Watersports are also reasonably priced. Not much to do outside the hotel but we expected this. Didn't matter as the hotel grounds are so large u can ease off any boredom by walking round exploring the grounds and various beaches.
People go on about the cats. Yes, theres a lot. I hate cats myself but they didn't bother me. Don't go on holiday to find things to moan about... just enjoy.
I would defo recommend this hotel. Loved staying here and hope to return one day

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tmb69
Reviewed July 7, 2013

was not sure what to expect but we really enjoyed our stay here the room was big plenty storage space nice balcony and spotless clean ,, the pool was lovely we sat at the one near the beach and enjoyed the breeze...the staff are freindly and we really enjoyed the al a carte and the lunch in the restaurant near the beach,the beachside bbq was also really nice and the paninis and pancakes .we did struggle a bit of an evening for food but we managed to find something we liked... the beer was really nice and the shorts strong !!! we had a really nice time and would consider returning... a trip to see the crocs is a must especially at feeding time... trips and taxis really good value for money .. we got taxi from aiport for 25 dinar well worth it

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple