“Lovely hotel, lovely staff, lovely holiday!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vincci Helios Beach

Vincci Helios Beach
Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Midoun
Upholland, null, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, lovely staff, lovely holiday!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed at this hotel mid May 2013. The hotel when you arrive is stunning, big arches and nice gardens all behind a manned gate.
Our room was lovely, room and bathroom was modern, cleaned to a high standard each day by a cleaner that never seemed to have a day off during our stay, for this we regret not tipping him more as he was really nice and even waited for us to leave the room on around 3 occasions.
Only made breakfast two or three mornings through the week and would say that this was the weakest meal (Scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, hot dog sausages & general continental (cold meats, cheese's etc.)) There was also a chef making omelettes to order & there was a good selection of really nice breads. You could always find something to eat and in all honesty wasn’t too bad, just not as good in comparison with other meals.
Lunch and dinner was much better, with chips, pastas, pizzas and various other dishes and loads of different desserts. My boyfriend is quite picky when it comes to food but he never went hungry!
Cocktails and beers were all good & surprisingly strong!
Entertainment team were fun and not too pushy if you told them no firmly, all of the hotel staff including those on reception and bar were lovely and couldn’t do enough for you even if you don’t tip them which is nice as you don’t feel pressured.
Only thing that we could grumble about it we went at a quieter time of year and feel we would have liked to have arrived a week later as the hotel nightclub may have been busier :/ but I also wouldn’t like to be in this hotel at peak times of the year!
Activities I would recommend are the horse riding along the beach but if you are a decent rider and are expecting to gallop please don’t think that you can get away with shorts and crap shoes as you WILL get sore. We also went quad biking which was good but they promise you eye goggles when you book but there is no sign of them when actually out there so please take your own sunglasses, you will regret it otherwise.
Other tips: Take a travel mug- keeps the flies and sand out of your beer and keeps it cool even in the sun.
They only have English tea bags with breakfast in the main restaurant so if you are a tea drinker steal some and then take them to the bar during the day.
Actually join in with the activities, they are quite fun (we learned this on the last two days and regretted not participating earlier)

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be close to all amenities without being too loud!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tanya R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Staying here from the 1st of June for one week as a group of three girls. We had a really great week, the weather was beautiful and we had a nice breeze all week to keep the heat down. Our room was beautiful, and very quiet as it was one of the garden aparentments. Food wasn't amazing but there was always plenty of choice, and drinks were good but sometimes a little strong.Entertainment was great if you were French unfortunately as three English ladies we didn't know what was going on most of the time! But what really made our stay was the staff, I'm not going to lie the men can be a little too much but Ramy and Yassine were just great. Yassine the photographer was always so friendly and helpful and took some beautiful photos for us. I would recommend the camel trek to the lagoon it is long but absolutely amazing, make sure you wear something on your legs though as it can get quite uncomfortable. We had a fantastic week here and some great memories.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Chrissy_Sues
OXFORD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have just returned from a trip to the Helios Beach and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. This was my first visit to Tunisia but wont be my last. My family started looking for alternatives to the usual Spanish break for more value during these tighter times. We traveled to Egypt last year which I enjoyed but this holiday from start to finish was much better. I must say when you go to North Africa don't expect Spain. I think this is what now appeals to me.

The hotel itself you have to look at from a different view. I knew before I went that Tunisia was a very popular destination for the French so I expected this from posts on here and through research. I traveled with my 17 year old daughter after her stressful exams.

The hotel itself has great facilities one huge pool one small and a children's pool I wont go into the whole there were no sunbeds debate as unless you were up at the crack of dawn this was the case. It didn't matter to me as if there were none by the pool you knew you would get one on the beach.

There are also free non powered water sports on the beach for hotels guests which include pedalos, wind surfing, kayaks and if you wanted to the beach staff would take you out one of their 3 catamarans. You also have powered sports at extra cost. Also you have the usual beach sellers and camel and horse rides these do try to get your business but a polite no always did the trick if you were no interested.

We stayed in house 3 room 324 which overlooked the pool and beach. It had 3 comfortable beds flat screen and was to a good standard. Usually 4 star hotels abroad rate lower but I would say our room was comparable with a 4 star in the UK. Meals were all buffet style which so unless you are a fussy eater you could find something. Lunch and dinner times always had a bottle of water on your tables and wine if you wished.

The bars were great I found no problems with the staff and always great service. I loved the fact also you could get a big bottle of water on demand a nice addition on a hot day.

Overall this was a great holiday no complaints with staff or hotel.

A special mention to the animation team although most of the time we couldn't understand a word they said there energy spoke volumes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Andy S
South England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We travelled to this hotel on 1st June 2013 for a week stay... within 24 hours we wanted to come home!
I am not one to complain and have been to some dodgy accommodations while staying away and personally feel that a holiday is what you make it and what some people think is great other's may not but this is mine and my families opinion which I feel is a very fair and honest opinion. We travelled with Thomas Cook (This is the first time we usually use Thomson).
We arrived at the airport at approx 11pm and was greeted by a Thomas Cook representative who told us which coach we was to board to be taken on the rest of our journey. When finding the coach the driver was placing the cases in the luggage holder and was asking us for money he was very abrupt and kept pointing to his hand saying money, when we told him that we had no currency yet he proceeded to call my husband "A S**t"! This was in front of my 12 year old daughter.Tired from travelling we left the airport and travelled through what looked like Beiurt (This is probably why we had to arrive at night?). When arriving at the Hotel it looked very grand and impressive! We was left to carry our cases up a flight of stairs to the reception and was greeted by some reception staff who could hardly speak any English but told to fill in a card and was given our wrist bands. This took a while being that there was 5 of us and we had already filled cards in on the plane. We was then told to go down the corridor to the restaurant area and we would be able to eat but they shut at midnight, It was 11.55. On arrival there was nothing but some salad which looked like it had been there all day so after we had a quick drink of cola (Which we had to work the machine out as no-one was there) we left as a waiter was standing at the door waiting for us to leave.
We had 2 room's both located in the bungalows it was the last block so was away from the hotel and both balconies over looked the salt flats. Both rooms were okay, could do with re-decorating but comfortable enough! Towels in bathroom i think were white at one stage but looked a grey colour but never less clean. Please note that none of the rooms have any tea or coffee facilities and it's a long way back to the bar for a drink and god help you if you want a drink after midnight as its all shut. The staff at the hotel are a hit and miss of people with manners and others which are so rude THAT IS IF YOU ARE ENGLISH! If you are French then you will get the best service but English you stand no chance. Staff ignored us, slammed drinks down, made you feel like they was doing you a favour by letting them serve you.They are especially rude if your a English woman at the bar, but if my husband went up to the bar although rude he was treated better. Should you go on one of the trips that Thomas cook can arrange the "Pirate ship" I was informed that a part of the entertainment was on how different nationalities greet each other when it came to the English they was portrayed as beer drinking thugs. Told it was all in jest though so that's okay? I did inform our Rep Marilyn and did ask her not to say anything to the Hotel or report my complaint about how the staff treated us until we had left the hotel this being "You don't like to complain to the chef about food in a restaurant at the time as you never know what will be in your food" Being disappointed with the holiday and the staff I didn't want the holiday to get any worse.
The holiday did slightly improve and this was by tipping! Tip the staff (All of them) and you will get a better service and perhaps a smile and a wave instead of "You English?" and when replying yes a swift get away. Just to add the Animation staff seemed good if you was French but NEVER spoke to us and NEVER was my daughter asked to join in or dance.
As I said I feel I have given an accurate description of our stay at this hotel, we did speak to other English travellers who described there stay as good and they didn't mind "Getting there own cutlery" and "Having drinks, slammed down" but for us this was not a good holiday and we will not be returning to Tunisia.
TIPS:
1) Make sure you Tip all staff
2) Grab a sun bed by the pool when you can as not enough
3) Try and get as much information about what you can do, We was never told about being able to use indoor pool and the small gym area until it was to late.
4) Eat outside under canopy, more quiet and much better service, although a walk to get food.
5) Watch the sellers in the Hotel as they can be very pushy, but do haggle on price.
6) Shop in Hotel sold some lovely jewellery and we got some lovely pieces for a fair price!
7) Don't bother with the Henna Tattoo shop or hair braiding - Tattoo never lasted 4 weeks been less than a week and it's gone! The hair braiding was expensive and lasted a couple of days and and had to come out waste of money.

I could go on, but like I said a holiday is what you make it and we did enjoy being together as a family and you can't fault the weather, beach or the architect of the beautiful white buildings. Just a shame we was treated badly due to being English! If you do experience this and I know we are usually a nationality of not saying anything and putting up with but then the Hotel or Thomas Cook will not be aware of it and can't make any changes.

Enjoy your hols :)

Room Tip: Try and get room in Hotel and not a bungalow as you seem to be able to connect to the wi-fi for free...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank flexyflick
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

The hotel is in a beautiful location. It has good security 24 hours a day. it was very clean and had smart facilities. The staff were attentive. The food was good, typical all-inclusive style but very nice, a la carte restaurant is worth a reservation. I has a private beautiful beach location. The rooms were up to a very high stand, well presented and furnished in a contemporary stylr and the maid serve was excellent. The pools are lovely, and there is a general relaxed atmosphere, although at times it can get a little lively due to the entertainment on offer but is not too disruptive.

Room Tip: Avoid sea-view rooms as it can become windy facing the beach, our room was the closest block to the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank kissyfur1989
Telford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have just returned to UK having stayed in this hotel for the past two weeks. Where do I start the only thing that lives up to the description is the rooms. If I had been French the holiday would have been brill but as it was they virtually ignored me which made it even worse as I was travelling on my own. The food was mainly for the French and I could never say it was served hot. If the waiters couldn`t speak English they would ignore me when they realized I was English. There was no waiter service for drinks of course unless you were French. The entertainment during the day would have been great if the music hadn`t been so loud and at night it was so loud that you couldn`t even have a proper conversation. All in all for the money I paid this was a very disappointing holiday especially as my sister had just stayed in a Vinnci hotel in the canaries and said they couldn`t do enough for them If you like the French and French food this is the place for you if not give it a wide berth

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank lynne b
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Just got back from a week away at the resort. (June 2013). It was a fantastic break.

The hotel is great value for money- it's not the poshest hotel but I feel we definitely got more for what we paid for.

The hotel overall was lovely-the pool was great and is located right on the beach. White sands and clear turquoise sea- completely gorgeous!

The pool area was also spot on- the animation team did do their activities around the pool (which I hate) but they only did their dances etc for about 15 mins then would clear away- so it was still really peaceful around the pool. They played music for some of the day but the selection of tunes was really good and they didn't belt it out like a few other hotels I have been to. There were periods of the day when there wasn't any music. The team were also really friendly - especially mavy- he was lovely.

The food was one of the best things about the hotel- usually all inclusive are bland and make you really ill- the food here was Really good quality. If you go here definitely try out the Tunisian restaurant- 24 hour reservation- but we had a lovely night there. The meal was fantastic.

The only bad thing about the hotel was the decor. There is a lot that's ready for a revamp. It does need updating but it's all very clean which is the main thing so I wasn't too fussed.

The rooms look nice but again they need redecorating.

All the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Trips- I would recommend the Jet Skis- it was brilliant and we saw all the wild dolphins in the sea!!

We went on the Thomas cook Matmatter day trip- it was a very long day and I'm not sure it's a trip that Thomas cook should recommend. I'm glad we did it as we got to see the Sahara desert but it was a long, hot and tiring day and the rep would not stop talking on the mike all day long. I'd probably give that trip a miss but if you go on the 2 day one - the hotel u stay in is gorgeous and (5 star) - Thomas cook didn't really advise that bit- I'm not sure why.

We had a fab time here and I would definitely go back and recommend to others.

Considering we didn't pay that much for this holiday, we definitely got more than what we bargained for. It was great.

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank Lyndsey_Liverpool_7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midoun
Djerba Plaza Hotel & Spa
Iberostar Mehari Djerba
Iberostar Mehari Djerba
#2 of 109 in Djerba Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,309 reviews

Been to Vincci Helios Beach? Share your experiences!