“Good Value....but I could stay longer than one week”
Review of Vincci El Mansour

Vincci El Mansour
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Mahdia
superman_lover
“Good Value....but I could stay longer than one week”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is good value... Especially if you get a good discount deal. We booked via Thompson and found everything to be ok for the price we paid. I went on this trip with my wife and 2yo daughter.
Transfer
First of all you must accept that before you get to the hotel there is a 2 hour transfer time from Enfida.... Enfida is now the airport of choice for Thompson in Tunisia. This poses an interesting dilemma as the transfer time is AS long as the flight time from Gatwick (2 hours).
The hotel
Once we got to the hotel we were efficiently booked in and shown to our room. The hotel has successfully implemented a sun loungers policy which overcomes some of the issues described in previous reviews. Myself and my wife were able to get a sun loungers by the paddling pool every single day of the holiday. Admittedly, we were there by 8am because our 2yo is ready to rumble at that time in the day.
The food in the hotel is slightly below average. I personally lived on omelette and crepes for breakfast and pasta for lunch and dinner (apart from the night that we booked the tunisian restaurant). I have mixed feelings about the food. The omelette, crepes and pasta are all cooked to a very high standard but by the end of the week I couldn't take it anymore.
The facilities at the hotel are adequate there are two adult pools and one paddling pool, there is also a stretch of prime beach (which is open to the public and guests). The animation team is very good... They have sooooo much energy and passion to entertain all guests (young and old, male and female) from 9am until 12 midnight 6 days a week.... Wawa and Ramzi are the stars of the team. Speaking of stars.... Cheryl the Thompson rep is very helpful, she helped my wife with afternoon cream when my wife ran out.... Cheryl keeps a stock of toys and after sun cream, (leftovers from previous guests). Overall, it's the staff that will make you want to return to the hotel... They are all awesome in their own way. They all are sooooo friendly.
The hotel is a harmonious mix of couples and families, there are not many single sex groups here. The hotel also has a fantastic mix of nationalities, I enjoyed watching my daughter play daily with kids from England, France, Germany and Russia...
In summary, I loved how the staff treated me and my family. I also loved the different mix of nationalities. The hotel is also very clean and serves limited selection of food but to a good standard.
What I didn't like was the limited selection of food provided. The Internet is Incredibly unreliable, it was out of service for 3 days out of 7. The hotel cash machine was also out of service for 3 days out of 7 aswell. This meant a 1 kilometres walk to the nearest machine :-(
I was talking to another guest, who is more familiar with Tunisia than me she described the situation as "you get what you pay for". I agree! If we come again next year it is purely for the friendly staff and the weather.... If the hotel sorted some of the small issues above it would get 5 stars from me.
Message to management please congratulate your staff, fix the Internet connection and cash machine and hopefully I'll see you again

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank superman_lover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Hubby and i stayed here for two weeks to celebrate our second anniversary Nice hotel good food Staff hard working and polite We also had the note regarding reserving the sunloungers but we had to leave the hotel early for a trip we'd booked and at 6am hubby was sleeping on a sunlounger with towels books and suncream while the wife and family had a few extra hours Utterly ridiculous The Simply Sahara was fantastic we also enjoyed the trip to Sousse and Port el Kantoui and the run into Mahdia town on the Esmerelda The down side to this trip is we went a little stir crazy of an evening as we felt Mahdia was a bit menacing We we also told be abother guest who had a Tunisian friend not to venture into town at night Also being English we like to pay for good sevice after our stay not to maintain it It became annoying and insincere having to ensure we had enough Dinars for the waiting staff and the maid But all in all we had good time Oh and a thanks to Cheryl the Thomson rep for being an all round good egg xx

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I got back two days ago from staying at Riu El Mansour.

My first impressions were it was the nicest hotel room I have ever stayed at, the room was huge with two separate rooms (but no doors) which was ideal as my brother and dad could stay in one, and me the other, there was even an extra bed! There was a separate toilet room and then the bathroom which had a shower and bath. The bathroom was really clean which is good as I am usually fussy about it. We paid extra for a sea view room which I think was worth it (I have included pictures of the sunrise in the morning), although you can hear the music from the pool in the day and the entertainment at night but it is definitely not too loud but you can hear it.

However there were a few problems with our room. In the first day our lock broke on our door so for two days we had to be let into the room by reception every time we needed to get in. Our toilet also did not flush properly, the telephone was broken but was fixed and the patio door did not lock.

The pool is huge and the day we got there it was very busy around the pool, however the next day the hotel changed the rules so nobody could reserve a sunbed until 7am. Also if you leave your sunbed for more than 1-2 hours then they take your towels which gives others the chance to sunbathe. However we never had any problems finding places. You get given fresh towels everyday too.

Personally I found the entertainment at the hotel a little disappointing but I am not sure if it is because it is June and I am 19, older people or those with children seemed to enjoy it. The first night was men dressed up as women miming to songs, the second night was karaoke, the third was their night off, another night bingo and dancing, and the only good night was a comedy night (we were away for two nights on a trip so not sure what the rest was).

Although saying that, the animation team themselves are absolutely fantastic people. They are so friendly and funny and everyday round the pool they come round and invite you to play games (volleyball everyday 11am, 4pm) (table tennis everyday 3pm) (watergym) (gymnastics) (archery) (arabic lessons) (waterpolo) etc. There is also a spa there for extra money.

There are two restaurants there, Italian (sundays) and Tunisian (wednesdays and fridays). The main restaurant you get a choice of the slot you want around (6pm-8.30) or (8.30 onwards) and the table you choose you have to sit there for the reminder of the holiday. The food was good but by day 6 we were abit bored as it was pretty much the same most nights.
The service is good in there, although there was a waiter in their called 'Slim' and is SUCH a credit to the hotel. We tipped him the first night, and for the reminder of the holiday before we even sat down at the meal he had remembered what drinks we liked, had them ready on our table and a bottle of wine. The moment our glasses were empty he immediately came out of nowhere to top them up.

We went on a trip for two days while we were there (Sahara experience). I would definitely recommend this trip there is so much included (http://www.thomsonexcursions.co.uk/excursions-details/TUN/TUNISIA/000431/TUNISIA/1008992022/Sahara-Experience.aspx). My tips: take a pillow for the coach, towel for the camel and extra clothes for after, antibacterial gel and tissue!! Also lots of change.

Finally, in the actual areas itself there is not much there it is quite remote. There is a supermarket directly opposite the hotel and if you come our the hotel and turn right there is a university and two more supermarkets. There is also if you turn right again a childrens area and a tennis court and ice cream stands. Finally we also went to the petting zoo there!! 5 dinars to get in there is: Lots of birds, ostriches, camels, emus, donkeys, peacocks, gazelle, rabbits and that is pretty much it. You can feed them to for about 50p.

There is also a club nearby and a couple of restaurants, although note you would not be able to drink alcohol out there (religion), only in the hotel!

Top tips: Go on the sahara experience watching the sunset in the sahara and watching the stars at night is once in a lifetime.Take a bikini there is a pool at the camp.

Tip the maid, she makes beautiful animals in your room with towels.

Stay away from watermelon & there are mega cheap spices such as saffron at the market.

When you arrive at the airport KEEP YOUR HANDS on your suitcase, they try and take if off of you and then make you pay for a tip taking it to the coach. You will also be hassled on the beach for buying grapes, mats, hats or anything else.

I didn't intend on writing this much, but oh well hope this helps someone! Any questions, message me.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea are noisier but not too loud and also beautiful sunrises!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank TouringTraveller12
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just had 2 weeks here, hotel is very clean you always see managers walking around the hotel checking how clean the areas .

Breakfast

Hot:
Fried eggs, scrambled eggs and omelettes, Pork bacon
and the various pastries

Lunch:

Buffet in the main restaurant with live cooking stations, with a BBQ by the pool

Dinner

Live cooking of roast meets and country nights etc

During the stay there was an extremely large amount of managers walking around all of the hotel. They would test food temperature, and pick food at random to test reassuring! Also the animation team eat there meals in the same restaurant so the food must be ok.

It was clear once you tipped the bar waiters gave you had a "better" service. Your drinks would be ready on a table for you and refills straight away!

The only downside to this hotel is the sun beds! On the first day by 7:30 all the beds would have gone both on the beach and pool side!
During the last three days all guests had a letter from the Hotel manager asking them not to reserve a sun bed until 7am as people were out at 4:30/5:00 am

The Animation team are fantastic very welcoming walk around the pool and speak to you. WaWa (I think his name is) is fantastic.

We went to the Friday market ( what an experience) there was nothing of interest more like a Sunday car boot. Expect to be hassled non-stop and people tell you they work at your hotel.

The coach ride from the airport to the hotel is 1hr50mins quite long down bumpy roads. The area around the hotel just looks like a rubbish landfill litter all over the place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank safetyman_13
Wrexham
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel was brilliant. Staff could not do enough for you always friendly, polite, helpfully and enthusiast. The food was very good my wife ate no problem and she is a fussy eater. Always plenty of sun loungers to go round as you were not aloud to put you towels out before 7am. The spa was great we went for a 5 treatment proogram for a total of £66 each well worth it, would have cost us each £150 each in the UK. The only problem being the air conditioning. I.E what air conditioning. Now we have been all over the Globe and had good cooling systems, but the manager here decided the times that it would go on. Believe me the wrong times. After complaining about it. We were told that it was on full power at the times stated, which were 0530-0900 ok 1400-1800 for the kids, then 2100 - 0200. What about all the time when needed, when you come out of the shower in the evening to go to for diner. In other words sweating before you left the room putting you in not a happy holiday mood. Just to save money, not the customer comfort. Hotel team very good just a shame that the manager ruined that as they were all great, to save money in which we paid the service for. This would now stop me coming back to this hotel because of the air conditioning. We have talked to other guest about this but they all said " What is the point of complaint they won't listen"

• Stayed June 2013
8 Thank Tazjocks
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We looked for the perfect destination abroad to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary! We were specifically searching for more exotic locations, but as it was this hotel through Thomsons came in under our budget so we could afford a room upgrade and sea view with balcony. What sold it for us was that it was advertised as a quiet resort in a town with little to do. We wanted a week of sunbathing, a great swimming pool, excellent food and drink for all inclusive, soft sandy beach and all in luxurious surrounds. We got exactly this and more! From arabic lessons, to waterpolo matches in the hotel pool, french boules and most excitingly our epic 'Simply Sahara' 2-day excursion into the desert (Google this for all the info!). We were sceptical about paying for an excursion after paying for the holiday but it was worth every penny. Room had large twin beds pushed together, seperate toilet and bathroom, balcony with clothes dryer for wet costumes etc, free safe and fridge with free still and sparkling bottled water 24/7. The animation team, hotel staff and restaurant team were amazing. The housekeeping was excellent with all the unique personal touches of flower petals and towel displays!! This continued throughout the resort in all the guest toilets. Tipping is expected everywhere, between 1-2 dinars for every evening meal to the waiter, beach assistant who fetches your sun lounger mattress each day and housekeeping daily too, or you opt to pay at the end (paying on the go does however develop a respect between you and the people serving you and it ensures an excellent service so I would recommend doing this). Taxis cost around 3-5 TND for a trip into Mahdia to see the mosque, town house, market, port etc. Turn right outside the resort for a 10min walk to the Botannical Gardens and Zoo (the owner is local gentleman who breeds birds and has an emu, ostrich, gazelle, camel, goats, sheep, guinea pigs etc which you can feed. There is a coffee shop as well. Opposite the zoo is Jasmine supermarket and souvenir which is fab for sunglasses, imitation bags, purses, hats, belts, clothes, fragrances, local souvenirs and pottery, beach inflatables, flips flops, toiletries, food, snacks and drinks for excursions. It is about 2/3 cheaper than the hotel shop - so highly recommended. We don't tend to go back to resorts we've visited but El Mansour will definitely be on our holiday list for a trip back! Our Thomson tour rep Cheryl has lived in Tunisia for 17 years. She is an exceptional rep who is a credit to Thomsons. She made our holiday that much more special. There is nothing to be concerned about in visiting Madhia or El Mansour, they quite literally do their utmost to make your stay the best! If anything is wrong, which inevitably happens to someone at some point, they did not hesitate to upgrade/deal with any issues immediately. Great value for money.

Things to make note of: the transfer time is around 2hours from Enfidha Airport. Some people hated this enough to say they would not come back. This is such a shame because the resort more than makes up for it and the coach is airconditioned, modern and comfortable. For children this will be an inconvenience after a 2-3 hour flight from the UK. A charged ipad with game apps would do the trick though to serve as a distraction. It is polite to tip the coach driver £1 to the hotel and about 2 dinars from the hotel to the airport.

There is still so much more to share about this resort, town, simply sahara excursion etc. If you are at all interested in this resort and have any questions - feel free to message us and we'll tell you everything we know. Room 411 is gorgeous. It's on the 2 highest floor in the middle of the resort and the view of the sunrise from there was breathtaking!

Room Tip: Room 411 is gorgeous. It's on the 2 highest floor in the middle of the resort and the view of th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank adams060603
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We went on holiday from 12/5/13 to 26/05/13. It was a wonderful time, all staff (kitchen, bar, animation team, cleaners and reception) were very helpful and lovely. Nothing was too much to ask for, not that we needed to! Didn't actually leave the hotel as no need. Weather was lovely, with a couple of windy days. Food wasn't bad considering I don't eat foreign food (served proper mash potatoes!!!) Otherwise normal all inc food. I would definitely go back to this hotel. Love to name all the staff but can't remember all their names. All in all, I did not want to come home

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple