“A whole world away- to say the least. please read.”
Review of Nour Palace Resort

Nour Palace Resort
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Mahdia
Warrington, United Kingdom
“A whole world away- to say the least. please read.”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in august 2012, really looking forward to a change from our usual visits to egypt. I travel alone with my daughter and as two women, we are somewhat used to the attention we get, especially in the arab countries. however, the tunisian men, especially in and the LOCAL surroundings took 'attention' to a whole new level.

ARRIVAL- Short flight, very good(a first for thomas cook!) arrived at enfidha(former zine el abidine ben ali)airport, all was well, very nice staff, fast through passport control- no problems there. So we got onto the transfer coach, only to think that we were NEVER going to get off. When the travel agent told us around a 45 minute transfer we never realised that 45 minutes in tunisian terms is more like 2 hours. Despite the time, the transfer was FUN. Tunisia is a bland country, yet very interesting, the butchers seem to have fresh cow/camel/horse heads hanging from their shop fronts, which was so far fetched from at home! we loved this experience driving through the little villages, and along the coast watching the locals fishing for octopus! We then arrived at the hotel, very relieved. First thoughts, very nice building, not the most modern place, but not that old you feel as though your great great nanna may have stayed here. Very clean, with a woman buffing the floors in reception(she worked so so hard!) We were checked in, and then went to get a drink, while we waited for our cases to be taken to our room, which NEVER happened(if you were english). Realising this we carted our suitcases off to our room. Over crumpled carpet tripping here there and everywhere.

THROUGHOUT THE HOLIDAY- We experienced good and bad, and just damn right disgusting situations. The keys to the door of your room is a card, which is swiped and then gains you entry, may i just warn you now, we couldnt on many occasions enter our room and had to trek to reception, SOAKING WET, to get the key changed which i was not pleased about. We did the parasailing off the boat which was amazing and the boys at the beach could not have been nicer or more helpful. The photographers in the hotel were a big problem, and i do warn you if you have booked this hotel, NO PHOTOGRAPHS. They are very rude sleazy and just in general, not nice men. Especially the younger one which we named worm who every single day without fail asked my daughter 'me take picture of you' even with a resounding no, he tried to take pictures. If they did get pictures of you, they would charge around £40 for about 3. We met a girl called Aneel out there who was a star. She backed us up on our complaints and helped get my daughter food as she had rarely eaten out there, not only due to the lack of choice in food, but because of the constant glare of numerous waiters, leaving her flowers and constantly hassling her 'you want drink?' when she had about 3 bottles of water on the table. flattering at first but after a few days it got ridiculous. Eventually we all got a bit overwhelmed with the amount of things going wrong, we found ants at a table in the lobby, no waiters would serve us as we were british, my daughter was served coke gin and vodka after asking for a coke, at the age of 14!!!!!!! We went to reception, Where the obnoxious stuck up manager told us that she did not care for us, as we were british, she does not like the british, and she was not willing to help us, because again we are british. We tried to contact thomas cook as at this point we were fearing for our safety, which reception were trying to stop us doing. However we were leaving the next day to go home, so we could stay that last night and leave at 4am in the morning but aneel was the problem, she had still 5 days left and no way could she stay there alone, so eventually with a lot of mithering we got her a move, she went to port el kantaoui and enjoyed the rest of her holiday. This holiday was one to remember not for good reasons!!!!!!!

food-rubbish-
cleanliness-quite good. couldnt moan about it really.
staff-some nice, some just weird.
entertainment-good.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank sjgates

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Penzance
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I have just come back from my stay in Tunisia and 2 weeks at the Vincci Nour Palace hotel, Let me start by saying i was caught out by not realising that it was a full 3 hours from Tunis international airport where my friends and i flew in.( our own fault ) After arriving in the middle of the night first impressions were good, looked clean and tidy. No complaints with the room i found it to be comfortable and adequate. What really spoiled my stay was having food poisoning after the first couple of days eating in the hotel. I was very ill and after reading similar comments there seems to be a real problem here.
Also the dining experience is NOT a pleasant one, the waiters almost circle around you like sharks making you feel uneasy. I went to help myself to another bread roll only to discover in the 30 seconds i had gone my plate had vanished. Either there bored or looking to be efficient but it will annoy you eventually.

The Hotel entertainment is probably the worst i have ever seen in my entire life, Hotel staff were friendly and helpful though and always tried to help.

The beach is ok but alot of rubbish on it that was washed up while i was there but no ones fault.

Definitely recommend using the train station opposite to visit places as the taxi's will try to fleece tourists.

Room Tip: garden view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Will S
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Great location, next to the train station, so you can hop on the train to visit Mahdia, Monastir or Sousse.
Nice hotel, friendly staff, good food.
No complaints.

Room Tip: Make sure you go for the sea view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Slovenia-Explorer
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 30, 2011

When I read other reviews on this hotel i was a bit worried. I noticed that trip advisor has the vincci nour palace hotel elderador and the vincci nour palace resort - these are the same hotel as far as I can tell. Let me start by saying that the transfer time is just shy of 2 hours which I myself didn't mind as I was able to see what Tunisia was like on my way to the hotel. The reason behind the transfer time is they built a new airport and the new one is obviously further away from the old one. This makes Mahdia a sleepy hollow now. The hotel itself was lovely and very clean, however I would only give it a 3+ rating. It's definately not a 5 star as advertised and you would be pushing to give it a four. I rate it at this for many reasons, a few being: the rooms are basic; the food choice is not five star; there are no waiters round the pool asking what drinks you would like - basically all the little touches that would make it five star are not there. The hotel is mostly full of Russian, German and Arab people. Hardly any Scottish, English, Irish and this is noted in the hotel shop where there are no English newspapers and only one English tv channel. The pool area is lovely and very large. It's kept clean every day by a guy called Walid. The entertainment team are fab and can speak 5 or 6 languages which is very impressive. They start the day with a stretching class followed by aqua arobics. There is volleyball, football etc on during the day and then a step class or arobics about 5ish. The hotel is right on the beach and its true, the beach area right outside the hotel is the best around. The entertainment at night is really catered for kids. The food is limited but there is enough there. A trip to the market on Fridays is good and you can pick up a bargain as your getting approx 2.5 to the £1 at the moment. Remember and haggle tho which us actually good fun when you get into it. Basically if you want to go for a week of pure relaxation then its perfect. There are a couple if trips to go on during the day and everyone stays in the hotel at night. Remember its an Arabic country so there are no pubs/alcohol outside the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank gardener1Edinburgh
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I love the beach of mahdia, however this hotel is missing the 5 stars hotels' services qualities in every field. In this area I recommend you El Mansoor hotel, I have been there two times and we love it,

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank WissemB
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a week last year and within the first few hours knew things were going to be bad.

Throughout the whole hotel a truely horrid "drainage" smell hit your nose and was really off-putting at meal times. Hardly any outside seating with any form of shade and so the only place to escape the midday sun was to return of your room or sit in the lounge area.

The food was inedible. Very repetative with definate re-heating of left-overs from one meal session to the next. On one night we selected some turkey being carved by a chef but the stentch of it was horrific and didn't take any brains at all to realise it was "off". The most horrific thing was that once we'd pointed it out of the restaurant manager (who agreed with us that it was off) the chef continuted to serve it to other hotel guests.

The bedrooms very very basic and although housekeeping staff were kindof friendly, only really staightened the bed clothes each day but didn't clean. Beds very hard and so didn't really have a good nights sleep at all.

Entertainment VERY basic and bad. We spent most of our time entertaining ourselves by playing cards in a very hot and smelly games room.

I really don't wish to dwell on this holiday at all but had to place a review to try and save other people out there wasting their hard-earned money on a holiday here.

CHOOSE A DIFFERENT HOTEL..... PLEASE!

Room Tip: The best rooms are in a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2010
2 Thank MarkH1976
norfolk england
Reviewed October 26, 2010

yes its true my partner contracted this whilst at this hotel and we have the docotors letter to prove it.
the food is bloody terrible. same everyday. kevin ate on monday and he was ill till we left on thurs night and he still is.
He is now on stronh antibiotics
this is meant to be 5* its more like a 2.
yes the rooms were clean and the staff ok. but our rep philip couldnot have cared less that my partner spent more than half his break in the bathroom. PLEASE DO NOT GO HERE !!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple