“Excellent All round Holiday!!”

IBEROSTAR Royal El Mansour & Thalasso
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Mahdia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Great family holiday. Transfer is long, but you should know this before you go!! We were welcomed on arrival and served a cold drink while waiting to be booked in. This took less than 10 minutes. Room was large, clean and air conditioning was great. This is my third trip to tunisia and the hotel was excellent, waiter service, reception, bar staff and cleaners all first class!!. My oldest daughter arrived to join us during our holiday. She arrived at 3.00 am and although not due to book in til 4.00 pm the following day, her room was already vacant, so she was booked in straight away on arrival.Many Thanks for that :). Food was varied and catered for all tastes, pasta and pizza was a favourite with my daughters. Pool was not too cold and never too busy although the hotel was full when we were there. Animation team all worked hard to keep us entertained and evening shows were good fun. Alway plenty of sun beds and parasols. I only have one criticism which was that this is a family hotel and some couples seemed to ignore this fact and were being over amorous in the pool in front of children!! The lifeguards were quick to stop any ball games on the grass, but seemed to ignore the adults pool games!!!

4  Thank scottsk11

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic holiday, beautiful hotel, fantastic food, spa was fab and staff couldn't be more helpful. Not much evening entertainment would be my only criticism. We had an amazing week! The alternative restraunt you had to book into was lovely.
Fab beach and fab pool area. Would highly recommend!!

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank Peanutbutterontoast
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was a last min deal for myself and my friend both girls ages 20. It was the best holiday I have been on.

The only Issue we had was that we had an old minibus take us to the hotel which took around 1hr 45 mins to get there, BUT its worth the traveling time!!

We were welcomed with a non alcoholic cocktail and kids wristband which we found hilarious. After the confusion we were given another cocktail along with an adults wristband. Our rooms were ready within 10 minuets which our luggage was taken up for us. The rooms were very spacious with a balcony and TV. The bathroom was also very huge!!

The All Inclusive was very good. We are both very fussy eaters but always had something to eat. You get one night in a restaurant in the hotel included in the deal, there is an oriental night of a Tunisian evening. We chose the Tunisian.

There isn't a lot to do outside the hotel, but we were not bored at all. The hotel is on an amazing beach, the entertainers were very good. There are activates throughout the day along with a show most evenings. There is a shop inside the hotel selling snacks and obviously Fake designer items. But there is also a shop opposite and another just down the road if needed.

We used the Spa which was lovely and Very cheap!! A Tip is to take cash with you as the hotel only exchange using cash and do not use card.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone if you would like a chilled relaxing holiday.

If anyone is wondering about the weather, last year I went on the 16th September and the weather was amazing. It was boiling about 28 Degrees every day. I have booked to return the same time next year.

Room Tip: September 2012 I didn't pay for Sea View which was fine as We had sun on the balcony all afterno...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Danielle123456789
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Our first time in Tunisia, It was a most wonderful holiday the hotel was outstanding set in paradise. The food was very good for all inclusive an assortment to suit everyone, drinks hot cold and alcohol were plentiful a constant supply of bottled water was available. We had 10 days of relaxation I was a regular visitor to the very good Heath spa for my seaweed wrap and oil massage and the rest before relaxing on the sun lounger to soak up the sun. The pools were very welcoming to cool off. This hotel is far bigger than the usual one we would normally stay in and it was busy but there were plenty of space for every one , the beach was clean with plenty of loungers. If you like to take part in the entertainment, activity there was plenty to do. The rooms were cool and spacious , we had an electrical fault one evening and they had fixed it within 15 mins, every one was very helpful and friendly, the rep for T/C was helpful and a very friendly chap cheers Phillip!!!! The drive from the airport was long, we had reviewed the trip prior to going away and expected that, once in resort every thing were perfect we recommend this hotel to everyone .

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view or you could end up with a room overlooking the street. We had a room on the 4th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JulieShetland
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed for a week with family and friends. Booked with Thomas Cook UK few month in advance.

I just want to share my experience and view and let you choose what you are going to pay for as a 5 star experience.

First when you arrive on the airport expect to wait for at least 1 hour before you can pass the passport control.Do not why but seen that on entering and on our way back that people who are all
tourists have to queue for a while ,it is not certainly busier that Antalya airport and you do not pay for visa but yet again takes a while to pass!!

then it takes at least 1:45 min to get to the hotel,where nobody is going to welcome you with a cold drink.
check in process takes 2-3 hours until you get to your rooms as poor cleaners are few ,even so on your return you are going to be picked up 5 -6 hours before your return flight hence the hotel has around 8 hours to give you some rooms.

anyway rooms are clean and big,food is okish but limited and as the hotel is not that big(I am sure the hotel management will argue against that but I do not think they have been to
5 star resorts in Turkey )then in most of cases when you are in the restaurant you have either to wait for 10-15 minutes for popular foods or forget about it. having said that some dishes never get filled up even in 30 minutes and guess what you have to settle for you next choices.
(see pics from the famous queues).

the staff are usually friendly and very helpful but remember to tip them and then service will get faster and better.
there are some other issues that you may find hard to accept that mini bar is not included,beach bar is not included and the bar in snack bar or next to amphitheater are served from bottles rather than what you normally see in a normal bar.

Just one more point if you want to shop just cross the road and turn left after 150 yards on the right hand there is a shop which sells fantastic hand craft thing at very low prices ,the shop does not look that push but the things are great.the shopkeeper name is Kamel.

in summary if you want a 5 star experience go somewhere else.

6  Thank AlbertYoung
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Royal El Mansour & Thalasso, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Guest,
Although we are sorry to read that your stay at our IBEROSTAR Royal El Mansour was nor as enjoyable as it could have been, we are grateful for the time and effort you spent writing a review on your personal experience as this can help us improve in our daily services in order to deliver great holidays to all our guests.
We are sorry to read that you had to wait so long for your room to be ready, however we would like to point out that our standard check in time is at 14.00, check out being at 12.00 unfortunately we cannot guarantee that the accommodation will be ready earlier as our housekeeping staff proceeds with a thorough cleaning of the room before assigning it to our new arrivals.
Related to the minibar, apparently its operation wasn’t explained properly and we take the opportunity to explain it now: the mini bar is an additional service, not included in the AI package as our guests are able to have drinks and snacks in our bars at any time, however, in your room you find a brochure informing that depending on the treatment you have chosen at the time of booking, the minibar refill may be included or not, in case you wish to add it during your holidays, you can do so by contacting our reception.
Further, we lament hearing that you had to queue for the show cooking stand at our main restaurant, however as the food is prepared on the spot, depending on our guests desired doneness , it may take a few minutes before you get served.
On the other hand, we are grateful for your comment highlighting the kindness and helpfulness of our staff, at IBEROSTAR we lay high importance on the service orientation of our employees and it is enjoyable to read that you felt well cared for whilst staying in our hotel.
Last but not least, for any upcoming IBEROSTAR holiday planning, we encourage you to contact our call center where we can offer you a personalized booking guidance for you to choose the destination, hotel type and services in accordance to your holiday needs and wishes.
Again, thank you for your visit and your constructive comments.
Kindest Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed July 16, 2013

It was my first time in Tunisia with my children 14 and 18 and parents 70. We flew with Thomas Cook. Cost £538 per person so we had a good deal.

HOTEL
On arrival I was impressed with the hotel - bright, clean and airy.

ROOM
We had two rooms - one with a seaview and one of the town. Both very clean and spacious. Complimentary water in the mini fridge.

FOOD
Maybe the Tunisians like cold food. I don't. I didn't have a hot meal in seven days - everything was lukewarm. Omelettes at breakfast were delicious as were the crepes served with chocolate sauce - both freshly made in front of you. I think the hotel runs a tight ship - if something wasn't eaten at dinner it was served up in a different form for tea. If you like chewing a lot you will love the beef. There was a nice choice of salads and a chef making fresh pasta dishes and fresh fish so you will definitely find something you like. You can have one visit to a the al a carte - we opted for the Italian theme. Nice food but would have been better if it had been served hot! Tiramisu was nice though.

DRINKS
The pool bar serves delicious slushies - orange, cherry and lemon. These are very refreshing. The cocktails are sweet and pleasant - pina colada and vodka sun - although the alcohol is very weak and hardly visible in the drink. One of the other guests told me he drank beer all day long and didn't feel the slightest bit tipsy. Maybe that's not a bad thing - at least you can avoid a hangover! A milky coffee is done very well. We had a mint and cherry shisha and a lovely mint tea in the hotel cafe - although you have to pay for the shisha which is only around £3 and it is fun to try.

BEACH AND POOLS
Three lovely big pools which are very clean. Lots of aqua aerobics - I was happy to spectate! Beach is nice and the water clean - although there are lots of wooden 'bits' floating in it. There is a free banana boat which you can use compliments of the hotel.

SPA
Rude staff. Had a pedicure which was ok at best - £20 which I don't think is particularly cheap. She put my feet in a foot spa and didn't turn it on - I asked why - she said it wasn't working! Not good enough for a five star hotel. I bought a bottle of nail varnish and they wanted £6 in the spa - in the shop downstairs they sold the same stuff - three bottles for £6! We had a compliementary hamman - but they didn't provide any towels when we came out so we were left dripping wet. It got on my nerves how staff were continually trying to sell you massages - every day. (just worth mentioning - you can have a hamman in the Mahida town - it cost 10 dinar for the scrub and massage - around £4) - so MUCH cheaper than the hotel's extortionate prices.

HOTEL SHOP
Sells lots of tourist tat. But a few things are ok. Beware though - I bought a bottle of Chanel No 5 perfume from there (obviously fake) - opened the bottle and it was half full. Just very glad I didn't decide to give it as a present. How embarrassing would that have been.

TRIPS
Phillip the Thomas Cook rep is the nicest rep I've ever met. A lovely man who is incredibly helpful. He does a great Medina Ramble for £5. We also went to the Roman Coliseum which cost about £20 each - if you like looking at historical stuff you will enjoy this too.

We also went to Sousse for the day. Its 1 hour 40 minutes on the train from Mahida on the Metro. A bargain - cost a mere 5 dinars each which is just £2 - return trip! The train was about 50 years behind in the times and don't even think about using the toilet. The train journey was interesting but the countryside was very barren and I've never seen so much rubbish - note the blue plastic bags!

Sousse is very touristy and I've never met such aggressive, hardcore salesman. I love a bit of haggling and I've been to Egypt and Morocco - but these guys take on new precedence. One tried to charge my son £160 for a fake watch - eventually going down to £20. Other salesmen were extremely aggressive and abusive. I got the feeling they resented the British or they certainly thought we were idiots.

TIPS
We tipped waiters every day - not a lot. Two or three dinars at meal times. I think they really appreciate this.

TAXI
A taxi to the medina takes five to ten minutes and costs 5 Dinar - around £2. Do not pay more than this. Taxis are easy to get - you can flag one down outside the hotel in a minute.

MADHIA
To be honest there is not much here - its very under-developed and A few nice shops in the centre - we bought a few carpets and some nice ceramic stuff. The salesman here are much gentler than Sousse though. There is a market on Friday but not worth the effort - just lots of clothes resembling a jumble sale.

OVERALL
A nice hotel in a remote area with little going on. If you want to just chill out you will enjoy it. The hotel was good but the food is mediocre at best. I really wanted to fall in love with Tunisia but I just didn't. It just didn't have charm or charisma for me.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are nice - we had one on 5th floor which has excellent view.
4  Thank MissBobbles01
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Royal El Mansour & Thalasso, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Guest,
First of all we want to thank you for your visit at our IBEROSTAR Royal El Mansour hotel as well as for the time and effort you dedicated to write a review on your personal experience because we are always happy to learn from our guests’ suggestions on how to improve in our daily services.
Related to your comment on the Spa, we lament hearing that you weren’t totally satisfied with the service, however it is run by an external company, we will then pass on your comments to the representative so that he can verify what could have happened during your stay and improve on the points you have mentioned.

At IBEROSTAR we know that meals are a very important part of our guests’ holidays and the gastronomy is one of our prime pillars, this is why we are sorry to hear that our buffets didn’t meet your expectations; our professional Chefs work in accordance with the high quality standards imposed by the company on a global level and strive to prepare a wide range of Tunisian delights and international dishes as well to please the most demanding palates, in addition, for security reasons related to food manipulation, although we know that our British guests like to eat very hot food, we would like to point out that each tray usually is being exposed for a maximum of an half an hour although some may last a little longer depending on the product. Moreover, during the service we take the temperature again to check that it is appropriate thus minimizing possible dangers in food processing, preparation and presentation. In IBEROSTAR we apply these high standards of quality and want to reassure you on this point and on the fact that we do not reuse products from previous meals by our snack bars or following buffets.
On the other hand we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the drinks professionally prepared by our bar staff and the Italian themed restaurant meal.

Moreover we are glad to hear that you felt comfortable in the rooms we accommodated you in and that you found everything to be spotless at all times as we want to give total confidence in this area.
Once again, we thank you for your visit and hope to have the opportunity of serving you again in our hotels worldwide.
Warmest Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a lovely place for a relaxing holiday hotel was very clean comfortable and friendly there were activities every day if you wanted to join in but animation team were friendly without being pushy or in your face.Transfer time is longer than advertised took us about 1hr 45mins and you may think the towns are either still being built or falling down but don`t be put off by it well worth the journey lots of progress since revolution.Food was good and resturant service was excellent,There are lots of places to visit like EL JEM (collasium)and mosaic museums lots of history from roman occupation if your into that our rep Philip was the best we have had lots of infomation lives their now so can advise on anything and such a nice guy, you can make your time here as relaxed or busy(watersports,quadding,booze cruise on pirate ship,jeep safari to sahara) as suits you.Entertainment was varied nightly and some nights not great.Ladies it can get chilly in the evening so take a wrap or something in all had a great time we were there for 2weeks.Hotel did have a night club but nobody seemed to use it .Tipping is welcome but you don`t feel beholden to do it.

Room Tip: Go for see view much nicer than inland view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple