“Unpleasant experience”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in La Marsa
Cairo
“Unpleasant experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Not a very nice experience overall. Had to stay there because of a workshop that was taking place in the hotel, so not of my choice. But the service was still lacking overall, from the very arrival, and the long wait I had to endure to check in. Safe box was not working and even though I called and asked several times to get it open, with all sorts of excuses made, to no avail was able to use it before Ieft the hotel three days later. the elevators broke on the first night I stayed and had only been fixed by the third day. And the ATM machine next to the lobby, crashed with my card inside and had to wait nearly half an hour to get it back, apparently from an electric shock that stops the machine working, so seems its not a new problem! why do they not alert customers, especially if you will have to wait before leaving the hotel on your way to the airport?? food was ok, desserts even better

Location-wise, the hotel is far away from the centre and needs some driving to get to other areas were some nightlife happens, which brings the extra problem of relying on taxi drivers standing outside the hotel, they just let the counter run at the night rate when it is not even night and of course it is their gentle way of cheating you if you do not know the fares to be paid for the said distances in Tunis. But the hotel staff should be aware pf this and still impressed nothing is done about it. Better catch your taxi at the hotel entrance as soon as anyone comes to drop people to the hotel. they will be more than happy to take you back towards the city with the meter running swiftly without cheating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

First night they changed me room from 4th floor in the morning I woke up in the smell of sewage (disgusting smell).
Swimming pool is crowded since the hotel open its doors to locals. If you do not swim in the morning you will be swimming in the crowd with people diving yelling etc. I also saw crap in one of the pools.
The beach is not that good.
Their restaurant on the swimming pool has poor service and servers are very rude.
I tried to eat at the yacht but they said that it was fully reserved when it was all of it empty.
Experience with reception was weird as I had to go to another level for registration, there is not a lot of information about what to do and what to not.
This hotel is good for business trip but if you are there for leisure you will not be happy.
Reception desk at the executive floor was helpful and polite.
Cleanless of the room is not that good, aunts in the bathroom.
Cleanless at the hotel overall is not that good.
The 2 elevators were 2 days broken.
One day you will find 2 bathrobes in the room another day one only and have to keep an eye always.
The safe is a joke as one can carry it and leave the room it is not bolted.
I would rate this hotel as a 4stars hotel and not a five stars.
Recommendation to the hotel to give a signage for those who have cars to avoid the hassle everytime you come to the hotel and asking if you are a customer or not.

Room Tip: Always have a room facing the swimming pool and from level 1 and up.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

I had been in Tunus, Regency otel for 5 days on May,12. It was a business trip and in the mornings and evenings I try to get all opportunities whenever I got a chance. The staffs are very polite, extraordinary otel architecture and foods are very good and it is so clean. I recommend to everyone..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank hakaanc
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I found that the Regency hotel offer an excellent service for conference package. I appreciated also the facilities in the hotel such as the hammam and the indoor swimming pools that you cannot miss despited of the prices that in the hammam are quite similar to European (let's specify Italian) prices. On the country, room prices are more than fair. You have also pick up included in the accomodation. And for someone who is not used to travel in this part of the world it is better so as to avoid negotiation with taxi men at the airport. As for the breakfast, It is one of the best I ever had in similar hotel in the Mediterranean. Please, ask for a fresh orange juice and a honey crêpe....

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

It's an average hotel, nice for a business trip only, it's far from the city, old furniture (not fancy at all) tries to provide special attention to Executive room residents with an excellent service for Transportation (it really helped)..Basic breakfast & snacks .. That's it.

Room Tip: Executive Rooms are better but costly
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank YoussefMedhat
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

I stayed here on business in October and have to say this was a terrible hotel. I'm shocked to see so many positive reviews for it. This place looks like it was built in the 80s and hasn't been touched since. The decor is tired and in poor repair in some areas (see pix). The public areas are dull and dowdy and everything you touch is sticky. It's a huge sprawling place and I had a good old walk to get to my room. Once there, the walls were paper thin and I could hear TVs blaring from both sides. Next morning's breakfast was OK, but nothing more and the lunch was similarly average.

The staff were friendly enough, but fighting a losing battle in a place like this.

Someone told me you can stay in this hotel for a week, full board, including flights for £300. Well, you get what you pay for. All I can say is, I'm glad I wasn't staying for a week, and even more glad it was business, so not my own money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these La Marsa hotels

Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

I landed at Tunis Carthage airport on Monday 4th April having flown from Inverness to London Gatwick and then onto Tunis. My suitcase didn’t follow me though so I arrived at the hotel with the clothes I stood up in and my laptop bag.

When you come into the hotel the reception is open, bright and there is a certain wow factor at the welcoming space. I liked the seating in the reception area and the downstairs bar.

On check-in I explained the situation to the receptionist who smiled, made a phone call and then proceeded with the formalities. He led me to my room and told me that someone would come to collect my laundry in a few minutes!

So I changed into the nice fluffy bathrobe and put my dirty clothes into the laundry bag that had been left for me on the bed and opened the door. They were whisked away and returned to me an hour later, washed, dried and ironed. Now that is what I call express laundry and that is what I call amazing service!

I went for a shower and found a tray of emergency toothpaste, toothbrush, shaving foam, and razor along with the normal shampoos and shower gels etc. It suddenly struck me that in between the phone call from reception and getting to my room, housekeeping had placed everything in the room. Fantastic!

This made a bad situation of losing one’s luggage so much more palatable. The understanding staff were super and could not have been better.

The breakfast feast is served down the stairs from the reception area and the choice was varied and wide. I stuck to coffee and croissants but I could have had an amazing array of food.

I bought some swimming trunks in the hotel shop and used the indoor swimming pool that evening. The water was pleasant and I am sure that in summer it would be much warmer. The changing rooms were under refurbishment but they were adequate.

There are numerous in-house restaurants of which only two were open. It is not the tourist season yet. I ate in both the Tunisian and Thai restaurants and the service was superb. The food was well presented and I enjoyed what I ate. I particularly liked the Thai White Elephant restaurant where the food was delicious and not as spicy hot as I had anticipated.

I went for a walk in the grounds which are immaculately kept and wished that it was warmer so I could use the tempting swimming pools. Following the covered walkway I found myself on the beach where I imagined my little girls playing for hours on end on the endless sands. The beach area was clean but on closer inspection in the dunes there was a lot of detritus which I suspect had been washed up and abandoned by the tide. It would be nice to think that before the high season the area would be cleaned thoroughly.

The room was very well appointed the bed comfortable with a choice of pillows. Free fast wireless internet connection allowing Skype calls home at good quality. There were plenty of towels daily and the bathroom was immaculate.

I liked this hotel, I was staying on business and although it was a 30 minute drive from the office it was like coming home every night. The staff all greeted me and having read some of the reviews on trip advisor about rude staff all I can say is that I never encountered such it. Maybe this is because I practiced my French and Arabic on the staff, or maybe it is because of one is rude to them that it is reciprocated? Who knows?

I am going to write to the hotel general manager personally to thank him for his staff making me feel so welcome. There are certainly hotels in UK of a similar standard who could learn about hospitality from the Regency in Tunis.

As a footnote, at the time of writing there is a security alert on Tunisia. I have to report that Tunis is safe. There are army units posted around strategic points but there is no trouble at all. In the south of the country there are on-going disputes but these are overflowing from way before the revolution and are the airing of old grievances.

Tunisia is a beautiful country and worth visiting. I am thinking about coming back with my family in late summer to enjoy the sunshine!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank cwgordon
DirectionGenerale, Guest Relations Manager at Regency Tunis Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our sincere thanks for taking the time to post the feedback regarding your last stay at the Regency Tunis Hotel.

We are highly delighted to read all the positive comments you mentioned.

We thank you again for your kindness and look forward to welcoming you again at our Hotel.

Please feel free to let us know whenever Tunis becomes again part of your travel plan.

Kind and warm regards,
#2 of 6 in La Marsa
Carthage Thalasso
Carthage Thalasso
#3 of 12 in Gammarth

Been to Regency Tunis Hotel? Share your experiences!