“Summer 2013”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Zarzis
New York, New York, United States
“Summer 2013”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Staying at the Zarzis in the early part of August, the weather was fantastic and we did not have one overcast day . The Hotel itself had some very good aspects but for every positive there was definately many negatives . To be succinct .....................
1. pool was clean but tiles around the pool were a hazard. We witnessed two very nasty falls , both children and both head injuries caused by slipping .
2. restaurant food was of a good standard and there was alot of variety , however there was no air conditioning .
3. reception area was clean and welcoming but reception staff were the opposite .
4. entertainment staff worked tirelessly in the day and they did brilliantly with the limited tools they had however the evening entertainment was embarassing to watch . A re-enactment of river dance was a cross between a russian dance and a michael jackson moonwalk repeated over and over again over a ten minute period (too many other shows to mention but all equally awful)
5. rooms were basic but clean . towels were not replaced every day and sometimes between a family of 6 we had 2 between us !!
6. Hotel is isolated . went to a childs fair 5 minutes down the road . felt very intimidated and at one stage thought we may get mugged . never ventured out of the hotel again !!
&. Hotel rep ............. dont bother with him !! nuf said !!
7. Health and safety in Tunisia is not its best . expect in the evening to find the indoor pool doors left open . Not great when you have toddlers around and poor lighting . (will leave your imagination to do the rest)
8. no free internet access ??? the mind boggles when it is meant to be a high rating hotel ???
9. not much shade around the pool
10. free drinks serves in flimsy plastic cups and I mean FLIMSY . cheldren served hot chocolate in these !!
11. beach is fantastic , water sports good .
12 . childrens play area is clean.
13 . mainly french speaking
1. no one harrassed you to book outings , participate in games etc .
All in all , you get what you pay for ................ The Hotel should be a 3 star and stop fooling people into thinking different . I for one read the reviews before I went away so I was not under any illusion as to what to expect .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Annie K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Oldbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The hotel seems to lack the basic necessities one comes to expect in a 4*. Many hotels these days give you at least an hours free internet.. but not here. For the privilege of internet access it will cost you £12 for the week. You give them the dinars, then your phone and they input the password. On arrival you will be lucky to be shown to your room, so be prepared for some exploring.
There is a safe in your room which the rep advises you to use, but there is a fee to use it, unsure of the cost but we kept our passports etc in our shoulder bags.
I would suggest you bring a beach towel with you. The hotel supplies towels but there is a charge of £10 for the week. The money is refunded when you return the towel, unless of course it gets stolen from your lounger, which then means you lose your deposit!
The poolside loungers are taken up fairly quickly from around 7.00am but there was always a lounger and shade on the beach right up till around 11.00am. If you wish to fry then sit around the pool as there is very limited shade. Getting bottles of water is never a problem. The restaurant and bars are happy to give you still or fizzy.
We didnt experience any issues with regards to being served drinks. French people didnt get served before us, in fact the bar service in the hotel was generally OK considering there was only ever 2 serving. If you want coffee make sure you point to the espresso coffee machine as it tastes better, otherwise they will get your coffee from the vending machine which is bland.
Take a French phrase book and learn a few phrases, I had a bit of fun communicating this way, at least they kind of understood what I was saying.
We took thermal mugs with us which allowed us to take soft drinks etc to the beach without constantly going to the bar, as the drink cups they give you are very small. You change your money to dinars at reception, the exchange rates are displayed.
There isn't many places to visit. You can walk to a small town which takes about 20mins but the shops are certainly nothing special, they seem to sell the same old tat as the small shops in the hotel.
We didnt bother with the a la carte or BBQ as Its the same food as the restaurant buffet.
Breakfast is the same each day, omelet, pitta breads and doughnuts, these are all cooked by the chefs while you wait. You can fry your own bacon and sausage when its available. There is NO toaster, so no proper toast. Lunch and evening meals are all quite good especially the salads. There is always chicken and fish.
If you wish to relax or sleep it wont be really possible until after 11.00pm as there is very loud second rate entertainment being provided from 9.30pm. There is a TV in your room with 18 channels of which only one is English, BBC News. Everything else is French, German, Dutch and Arabic. The air con in the room struggles to cool you down as everywhere in the Hotel is very hot. The water in your bathroom is heated by the sun, so if the day is cloudy or rainy then your morning shower will be tepid. There is NO iron, many people were walking around in creased clothes. No tea-making facilities in your room. There is NO fridge to keep your water cool.
And finally you will melt in the restaurant. There is NO air con. If there is you wont notice it. Eating in the restaurant is extremely uncomfortable, you are constantly having to mop your brow or fan yourself as your perspiration drips into your food. Sitting outside is a lottery as these tables are taken up very quickly. Even if you are outside you will have to keep swatting and waving furiously at flies. Overall I would say the Hotel is very average with the lunch and evening buffet just about managing to salvage the hotel from being utterly woeful.

Room Tip: Take thermal mugs, take your own beach towel, take a travel iron and definitely take a French phrase...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flippy504213
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed here end of august 2013 thought we would try it after we had stayed in a hotel in Djerba in 2011. Hotel itself is fine, however arrived at midnight, we had no rep on coach and when got to hotel our cases were taken off the coach, there was no-one to show us where reception was. We went to front desk where there was a big queue and told to go to restuarant downstairs for food and then come back to check in. No-one showed us where to go. We found the restuarant where waiters stood on other side of room, there was no greeting and restuarant looked closed, waiters looked annoyed when we went in and there was no explanation of what was there. After had some food went and checked in, we were then shown to our room. We were given a ground floor room which was very spacious but overlooked a white wall.
Food compared to other hotels we stayed in in tunisia this was average. No restaurants clearly signed.
pool was nice and always got a sun lounger.
i agree with other reviews that English not favoured and we would be at the bar, if french person came over, the waiter would look at us and then go and serve the french, at times felt like second class citizen. The staff got better last couple of days, my guess they knew we leaving and wanted a tip.
the animation team abit better but also prefer french etc etc.
the best person we had was our cleaner who was very good and helpful, our room always clean and towels changed daily, he was great.
we didn't get a real cheap deal on this and felt it was not worth what we did pay. I would rather have stayed in Djerba as comparing it all is a nicer place.
would go back to Tunisia but not this hotel

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank red_gilly
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was very disappointed with this hotel and somewhat surprised at the amount of positive reviews. I'm not a particularly difficult person to please when on holiday, I simply look for good service, nice food and a decent room.

The hotel unfortunately doesn't deliver on any of the above. In fact, it's probably the worst hotel resort I've ever stayed at.

The service by 75% of the staff is terrible - they just don't want to be there. There's one particular guy who works in the pool bar who seemed to take delight in not serving English people. There was a couple of occasions he completely ignored my partner and I, and then was extremely rude when he got around to it in his own good time.

We got the wrong room when we arrived (we paid for a sea view) - it took over 24 hours for them to finally sort it out, and they even had the audacity to try and argue with us about it. The manager was extremely rude to my girlfriend and took no notice of her when I wasn't about. (They're mainly sexist as a whole and also great at letching - ladies beware!)

The food was sub-standard, god knows what was in some of it, but the meat was full of gristle and I've no idea what else. My girlfriend was ill for most of the week and I had a dodgy stomach for two days.

The drinks are terrible and you are served them in the smallest glasses known to man - oh and they use disposable plastic cups most of the time - which they re-wash. Along with plastic cutlery. Rank! - no wonder everyone is ill.

The room was shabby, bed was old and towels are changed once a week. The air con takes ages to get going and the toilets smell terrible. There's also a strong smell of urine around the rooms.

Honestly, the only good thing is the beach, which is nice although it's not great going in the sea which is FULL of seaweed.

I've no idea who gives this place good reviews, but I would imagine it's people who have very low expectations about a holiday. I'm going to write Thomas Cook a complaints letter because I'm so annoyed about how bad it was and why they think it's a good idea to put their name against this shoddy dump.

I would never return to this cheap excuse for a hotel. If your idea of a holiday is to be abused, spend plenty of time on the toilet, constantly be letched at and be ripped off at every turn, this place is definitely for you. For anyone else I'd book somewhere else completely.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank richard227
Maryport, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This was me and my girlfriends first beach holiday and we booked Eden star quite late on. As it was our first holiday my view of the hotel will be glazed with biased opinion but I'll try to be objective. The hotel is gorgeous, it has a grand old entrance, and a mildly impressive lobby. We got there about 8 hours later than expected due to flight delays and bad weather causing us to land at Monastir and wait 5 hours to get to djerba! So check in was not pleasurable as around 20 people were all checking in at the same time. However once we got our bands on we struggled to find our room when one of the staff, who was awesome! Showed us and carried our bags! Showed us how the air con worked and the electric key, he really was awesome! Then slowly through the holiday the hotel loses its appeal. The drinks are all served in cups that are 2 inches tall, so travelling back and forth for juice, coke, beer, cocktails is a nightmare. The reviews about the over abundance of French and the staff taking more notice of them is absolutely true, if youre at the bar and there's 3 French people there you'll get served last. We found that annoying but given it was a former French place we let it slip. The food is quite plentiful, quite alot of choice. However, unfotunately the standard of the food only ranges from bad to average. The food such as pasta and any kind of sauce is immensely watered down and you can not eat your meal without swatting flys away every five seconds. Do not eat at the barbeque bar!! When waiting for a pizza they cook them I front of you, and while waiting I saw the guy roll a fly into the dough and he just cooked it served it! Hygiene isn't taken so seriously there, I had the trotts twice! At night they perform entertainment acts, which is good but very loud, if you leave early and tired its a struggle to sleep because of the noise, we struggled and we were on the other side of the hotel. They seem to think its Ibiza at night! The major pluses for this hotel are completely visual, aside from the brilliant weather and the heat the beach looks gorgeous. The sand is beautiful, the palm trees are gorgeous and the sea is a lovely temperature! Me and my girlfriend went to the beach every day and by far and away its the best part of the hotel. The pool is good too, cools you down nicely and is a good size, not too small and not too big. The rooms were nice and clean, very comfortable too.

To sum up though, its only selling point for me was the beach, after the impression of the building wears off and you realise its faults you could only rate this hotel as 3 star. Nice, but not good enough to make us want to come back.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank dandunn90
Mlada Boleslav, Czech Republic
Reviewed August 30, 2013

First things first...don't listen to the bad reviews!
We stayed at Eden Star in the middle of August and our vacation was virtually flawless. Where to start? The beach...god the beach...one of the best beaches I have been to in the Mediterranean, topped by the ones in exotic countries only. You can find white sand there, lot of palm trees and extremely warm sea; in the morning when the tide was low, we just walked on the beach, ankles in the water and enjoyed the view. Other than that though, there is nothing interesting around the hotel, although some trips to the Djerba Island and the desert are possible.
The hotel itself was totally satisfactory. When we first arrived I thought that it was a bit simpler than what I was used to, but eventually there was everything we needed. The rooms were clean and cleaned every day, no problems with that. The air conditioning worked ok, the beds were solid and the bathroom contained everything one would need.
Some reviews complain about the staff, personally we did not have any problems at all, maybe except for generally low perception of English. Yes true, there are lots of French guests and since Tunisia is a former French colony, people generally speak French, but you can get your way around with English quite comfortably and I didn't experience any differences in attitude towards French speaking and English speaking quests.
The food was good too, I think that everyone could find something of his taste and the hotel tried to offer decent food diversity. There was always some meat, pizza, fish, pasta and great variety of desserts on offer. The only thing I didn't like was a total lack of tea spoons! And cutlery in general...but I did not encounter any broken glasses or cracked plates.
What stands out though is the animation team. They were incredible! Always around you and always working hard to keep the hotel and guests "living". They offered a lot of fun starting with daily sport activities, including archery, some pool dancing and so on, and ending with evening animation programs. By the way, we loved the music played around the pool throughout the day!
The pool area was great, water warm and clean, sun beds comfortable. One day I had a bit of an argument over an umbrella but I guess that was just the French guy's nature :) Complaints about fewer beds in the pool area than optimal are valid, but if you want a good spot around the pool, you need to get up early in any hotel. What we did, and always do, was to place our towels on the beds before we went to sleep and it worked great.
So to sum it up, if you want a pleasant vacation in a comfortable hotel right on a beautiful beach, with great animation team and large pool, decent food and willing staff, we can only recommend the Eden Star in Zarzis.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the room with sea view! It is not that expensive and the view is beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martin Z
Pontypridd
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Very clean with a nice pool and very helpful 'animation' team who worked their socks off.

The rest was pretty bad. Extremely rude staff (one barman swears at guests in Arabic), rude and generally useless reception staff, and the restaurant is awful with soiled tablecloths, broken and chipped glasses, cups and plates (yes, I took photos). Plastic 'vending machine' cups were used in both the restaurant and bar. The food was ok, if you like bland, or meat so tough you can repair shoes with it or you fancy 'beef' stew for lunch when it's 90 deg in the shade. The food is left uncovered so if you don't fancy beef there are plenty of flies for everyone, and the waiters are so attentive you are lucky to get to the end of a dish without losing plate, cutlery or glass.

The special 'a la carte' restaurant is neither special nor a la carte, it's a fixed menu which does not change week-to-week. The real fun is that they also don't tell you what's on the 'carte' in the first place. We were certainly surprised to learn the little-known fact that that lamb chops and mash with gravy (instant?) was a traditional taste of Tunisia. The a la carte BBQ requires selecting your meal at the time of booking, but it's ok, because they'll bring you something totally different on the day.

If you want a sun bed then be ready to get up at 0500 and hope that no one moves your towel/sun bed/parasol. All three happened to us.

As others have stated, the staff do tend to serve French guests before British (the Flemish-speaking Belgians also complained about this) but the French are by far the biggest client base.

Just goes to show how bad management can bring down a hotel.

We Thomas Cooked it, and now we've written and complained it.

On a positive note, I discovered a passion for archery :)

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel! If you must book here then the rooms overlooking the sea/pool also overlo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zarzis
Zephir Hotel & Spa
Safira Palms Hotel & Spa
Club Oasis Marine
Club Oasis Marine
#4 of 11 in Zarzis

Been to Eden Star Zarzis? Share your experiences!