“Beautiful!”

Odyssee Resort & Thalasso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Zarzis
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I've spent several nights with my friend in this hotel. We were both very excited. The equipment is made from natural materials (no plastic chairs). The hotel has Tunisian atmosphere. Room was perfect and cleaned every day. Staff was very friendly. Especially animateurs were doing great job!!! All day long on their feet, then doing the great shows in the evening. Always open&kind - just amazing! One can hardly see this in Europe nowadays. The food was excellent. And we've got as much drinking water as we wanted - no limits. I've only missed wifi coverage (internet) in my room - there's coverage only at the hotel reception. I would love to highly recommend this hotel. It's been great pleasure to spent my vacation there. Thank you!

Room Tip: I recommend rooms with the view of the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marketa S
There are newer reviews for Odyssee Resort & Thalasso

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights whilst touring Tunisia.

First impressions were good, and the room was better than most on our tour.

Free WiFi in reception, but chargeable in your room.

We paid to use the room safe, but had to keep chasing them to come and unlock it so it could be used.

Not particularly great buffet for dinner e.g. tough meat, overcooked veg and most things were cold. Breakfast was a little better, but fresh orange juice was chargeable.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angu5
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I spent 11 nights in this hotel.
My room was perfect, the staff is very friendly and always caring about the clients.
The food is excellent!
The animation team is great. Nice evenings, fun and laughs. (I still have the Madison song in my head)
The Café Maure (Chicha bar) was my favorite place to hang out and chill out, best mint tea I had over my stay in Tunisia, and Amor Amor aka "Zico", the Chicha Man is extremely friendly. You definitely have to visit him at least once during your stay!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Tolumrebyc
Reviewed August 31, 2013

If you're looking for a luxury holiday relaxing in comfort then don't book this hotel. I've no idea how it managed to get a 4star deluxe rating because at very best its a 3 star. Where to start? We booked a suite and its the most basic room I've ever had. The bathroom is a disgrace with a makeshift shower in the corner, the safe didn't work (pay in addition for the safe for some bizarre reason), mini bar empty, cable tv only has a few analogue channels, 1 balcony overlooks a tip so curtains remain closed and the other - no drying rail on balcony - just holes in the wall and the furniture on the balcony is so dirty we can't sit out. We've had to go to reception every night and ask for water for the room & it generally never arrives. The beach is covered in seaweed which could so easily be scraped every morning, sun beds never cleaned. Swimming pool so overcrowded you just wouldn't want to be anywhere near it. An animation team seems to run things and despite the fact that most guests are either young couples with young family or older couples, there's euro pop music blaring all day and most of the night. No service - waiters pick up empty glasses only so there are queues at all the bars. We just got2 drinks with no ice as they don't have an ice machine in the Central Bar. Food is the only saving grace - main restaurant very good. The hotel guests are mostly Italian, French and Tunisian who would be very out of their depth in a high class hotel - ie 18-30 holiday for minority euro trash takes precedence - used tampon left on beach toilet floor!! Hotel looks lovely as you enter but closer inspection particularly around pool and beach gives very different view. Security on beach & local guys seem to mingle quite freely with guests, looking to score with the young girls. Not an idyllic resort!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Mandy C
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We just spent 1 week of vacation with my husband and had a perfect time in the Odyssee Resort and Thalasso. Overall there is lots of professionalism and very good management of the place that makes the stay perfect. The whole complex is designed in Berber style and our room was clean and comfortable. The pool is big and is surrounded by a bar and a pizzeria which is practical to have a drink or a bite to eat in between 2 dips in the pool. The beach is very pleasant and walking along the shore is relaxing. The best part is the food. Everyday there is a different theme: Tunisian night, Romantic night, Italian night.... The diversity of the food is amazing and everything is yummy: try the couscous especially. Great service, very friendly. Don't hesitate to contact Gilbert, a tall Tunisian guide always smiling, if you need to go for a desert trek, camel ride or an other excursion. I would definitely recommend this hotel to relax and have a great time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 22Emma
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband I have just returned from a two week stay at this beautiful resort. As soon as you arrive, you notice the palm trees, and the atmosphere, and the contrast of the white building against the blue sky, green trees and large wonderful pool. That is until you have been here a few days and start to notice the little things that really can add up to alot.
We are travellers, and perhaps we are spoiled. We questioned ourselves as we are not complainers. We have stayed in resorts that are three star all the way to five star. We know the stars do not say anything about what you are going to get anymore. We stayed in a five start and were not overly joyed and we have stayed in a three star in Cuba and loved it. We try to be objective and look at he positives like we are lucky to get to travel to different countries and we should appreciate what we is in front of us, but when you pay so much for a resort, you also have expectations. So enough about that. I will present the positives and the negatives and even though we spoke to the manager three times, we will not return to this resort due to the lack of quality control. I have read on here and the manager always replied to everyones posts that were negative or gave feedback that the client (us) should have asked or complained. Before he or she decides to write on this one, A paying customer should not have to complain about little things if there is quality control done more often and we should not have to ask all the time or even more than once.

Positives
-Beautiful resort
-Fantastic wine for an all inclusive. That I enjoyed.
-Staff work long long days, and animation team works all day in the heat and then has to do the show. It is a long day. I give them credit for what they do. Then they practice at 1 in the morning after the show ends at 11.
-nice big pool
-Staff at he Buffet are great and once you go a couple of times they will start to save your table for you every night. Really nice
-Room was nice size
-Grounds are gorgeous
-Palm trees wonderful, lots of shade to hide under
-other side with Thermal pool is dead and so nice to lay under palm tree to read where there is silence
-beach is nice, well maintained, not their fault that seaweed is in water, but it is cleared as much as possible
-Piano music is wonderful in evening and piano player is multilingual and really nice to chat with
-when you tip, you are treated really really well. when you dont it is slightly slower
-terrace off of lobby outside is gorgeous in the evening, wish we could have sat out there more often
-management seems to listen to concerns, ideas, questions pretty well
-room service for breakfast is available for free if you know how to go about it
-The Bio Cabane has great cookies and crepes in the mid afternoon, great for coffee or tea time
- ice cream is available all day, but no accomodation for lactose individuals, like sorbet or popsicles
- The life guards are so good with the kids, if you have a child, this is a great place, they joke with them and have fun, but also tell the children when they are too deep. And remember, water wings are not life jackets....

So lets get into the misunderstandings about the all inclusive when you purchase your trip and just so management cannot say anything, These are things that are not written in any advertising

1. when you receive you all inclusive guidelines, you will see that check out is at 12 o clock and that means your all inclusive ends at that time too. You must pay after that time it says. (management reassured us this was not true until we showed the paper and they said it was an old one.) all inclusive goes until you leave. but you still check out at 12
2 the beach restaurant and La Porta a la carte are not included. The Italien was but it was okay. Better than the buffet food.
3. paper says the chicha im Marischen Cafe is not included
4. Fitness room is not included
5.Pizzeria is advertised as being open until 4. good luck, they will tell you they are closed as soon as business closed, so if your hungry after 2 30 save something from the morning. I looked at them at around 3 when they told me it was closed and I mentioned I have a paper that said it was open until 4 and only then, did two waiters rush over to me and offer to make us pizza, but not show the menu at all. (quality control again, and I should not have to complain). When they close early, I see them sitting and doing not much, although they do go and collect cups and stuff.

okay now the not so good. Again trying to be objective

- We chose this hotel because we read it is an accessible hotel meaning it accommodates physically handicapped or inured people like me. I have a broken ankle and therefore must use crutches. Not accessible at all. You have to go up stairs when you arrive, and ramps up from the main reception to the lobby bar area are way too steep to even think about trying to hop up with crutches.
-Read there are accessible rooms with metal handles in bathroom to help with bathroom stuff, not offered to us (we should not have had to ask, it was obvious)
-building blocks on different levels so elevator available but we still never figured out how to go pool without stairs oh unless you went all the way to the other end of the hotel that is but first you take one elevator to one level and then another to the next in order to get to the ramp outside.
-Show is so loud you cannot sit on the terrace above and the show goes from 8 30 until 9 ish for kids then until 11 for adults. What resort runs a show until 11? half hour to one hour is enough. Give the animation team a break. What a long day they have and it is so loud. I have no clue how people could sleep and the animation team has to practice after that, and sometimes its loud. Its not their fault, but what can you do. and customers would like to enjoy the tranquility you advertise sitting on the terrace. (quality control)
-we were put on third floor, elevator near, but to go to buffet, we had to go down and up stairs, unless we went again from one end of the hotel to the other. so My husband helped me use the stairs, and I almost fell but going across the hotel was too exhausting. (we should not have had to complain or ask again)
-the thermal bath needs a large screen filter to catch the mold and moss that naturally comes up. The stairs were slimy and I almost fell in and could not get out. However we did complain, they did drain the whole pool and clean the stairs, but it made no difference. (but thanks to management for the attempt) Many thermal pools around the world, have a large screen filter that allows natural minerals and water to still flow up and in but in a little more of a cleaner way. (quality control)
-hotel is run like it is in Cancun and it is a party hotel for kids. It is no wonder so many teens were there. It is animation all day, but so disruptive, always by the pool and there is only a two hour break from music during the day. Our first 8 days there were hell. The music we could handle but it blared so loud, we were so stressed. Even on the beach it could be heard. (we complained twice, no change, until the third time, I was ready to cry and just let them know we were fed up). This resort is advertised as tranquil and relaxed, not at all unless you go over to the thermal pool area where is so quiet but you cant swim, you bathing suit gets stained so where a black bathing suit.
-staff hit on you as soon as your husband is our of site. Not good. not professional, but as well it was not all of them (should not have to complain...quality control)
-hotel caters to teens, great for families with children, couples, unless you are fine with noise and animation go for it.
-billiard advertised, It is one pool table outside
-music did soften down, we must say, thanks to management, but the same music still repeated many times during the day (quality control)
-one or two animation staff really need professional development in professionalism. It is fine to have fun, as they are animation crew, but I observed some very questionable behaviours and addressed them with management two times. It was nice to see the animation manager out more often but I still observed the same staff doing things they should not. (I worked as a manager of many staff before so I know what the expectations should be).
-as mentioned I have a broken ankle so stairs are a little dangerous. We got up one day around 9 40 went to have breakfast that ends around ten, okay we were a little late, but it still open until ten. I waited 20 minutes to go in the elevator, because staff doing their job, were loading it with new 32 inch led T.V s. At breakfast time (again quality control). when we got to breakfast, no eggs, and limited food. not our fault. (quality control, but we did complain, and management let us know you can get breakfast at the pizzeria until 11 and room service is free only for breakfast and certain items. That was great, but we had no clue and you have to order the night before)
-Elevator broke by coincidence on the day, I was finally fed up. So we went to management after climbing flights of stairs to go to another elevator, and seeing maids and cleaning staff stranded with carts because of the multi level building with only one elevator in each level and this one broken, and he was unaware, then said they would try to fix it. No new room offered with accessibility (quality control, and we should not have had to ask), and it was not until the same night before even trying the broken elevator that we asked a nice front desk staff if it was fixed and he replied he had no clue about it being broken (seems like quality control and lack of communication) and he made a phone call right away and it was repaired by the morning, but it still required me to take another elevator in middle of the hotel, walk...well hobble over to the set of really steeps stairs, hop down those and make it to our room, oh but first Mohammed the best chamber man (maid) was off that day of all days on the worse day and our room was cleaned (not and left filthy) but while giving the list of complaints that day to the management he did quickly address it and we came back to a cleaner room and towel art. (quality control ) oh and our tub was still not cleaned and there was still a dirty cup that sat by my bed for two days still there. we gave up and said forget it!

When Mohammed returned he mentioned that he heard that the day before was not good in our room, and he took good care of our room. I think our name must have been known everywhere as the complainers. But it just wasn't fair. advertising appears to be a bit misguiding and you really have to read your travel companies advertising carefully. we did but still so much is missing.

The thermal pool is not accessible,
-The pool is too loud
-the picture with a nice wood path going down front he resort through the beach to the water is false, I had to use crutches in the sand. It was okay. I fell once
-cleaning staff should be told not to mop a whole area (lobby) at one time especially with me sitting there, I fell on the stairs. But we just gave up. We could complain until we were blue in the face. It just didn't work for us this time.
-Tipping is optional, better service when you do, good luck getting change. if you have 20 D, and ask for four 5 s or smaller, they offer you too. Just insist.
-store is a sad little store.
-The stairs are dangerous
-the thermal pool areas was far for me to go, but it was an area that we could get peace and quiet.
-The indoor pool is not open in the summer as well
-The main pool needs scrubbed, it has mold all around the edges (not a big deal at all but quality control). A kid poo d in the pool and no one told to get out to allow cleaning.
I will send a copy of this to the hotel management and I will let you know the result.

Food was average at the buffet. There is not a lot of selection compared to other resorts and sorry to the resort and managers but the cooks do cook it well but the quality is not there, and the juice I read in previous reviews that tastes awful even when they say it is imported from Spain, is powdery and gross. Splurge and pay for the fresh squeezed orange juice. It is a shame they don't offer it in there packages (quality)

suggestions for management and the owner
-Turn the thermal pool area into an adults only part of the resort. Open the rooms there and, make it a boutique hotel with a nice wine bar, cafe in the lobby area, fix up the rooms, designate the area as a quieter area, and filter the thermal bath. You could make so much more business this way. The building, pool, bar and frame is there for it. It could be so nice. It is a smaller more quaint part of the hotel, and it has the kids club on the back, but you don't hear them. You would get the business. We would pay a hundred or two more to go there and have nice tables outside to sit at and loungers and there is beach access and everything there. It is such a shame and waste. Buy some chap material and hang it over the beds to make the dated rooms seem so much more up to date, and paint the green wicker furniture white.
Animation team is good, they just need some boundaries. Without more quality control they will continue to do the things I saw. It should not take place around the pool all day, it should be in the pavilion, and on the grass, and surf boards and kayaks do not belong in a pool to have races, and push all of the other people into other areas of the pool. Ridiculous and loud and again caters to the 50 some odd teens there.

I have so much more I can write, but I just am drained from this. nice note, great sun, nice beach, and nice pool,. not worth the money. Thanks to the manager from trying, but I think this has to come from a higher level. It just was not enough.

Room Tip: Beds are really springy, get a room away from the pool-so loud AC is great at this resort, we were...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sungirl3
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have just returned from a four night stay in this lovely hotel and can highly recommend it.
The resort is beautiful and maintained to a high standard.
Reception was helpful and polite on arrival. Our request for a room change (I was sharing a twin but we decided we would prefer seperate rooms) was dealt with swiftly and with no hassle.
All staff on the whole were pleasant and polite and helpful.
The hotel itself is very beautiful and layed out in a trogoldite style, room was stunning for the price, clean and with a huge bed, lovely terrace for each room.
Pool area was very pleasant and with three pools to choose from (heated indoor and thermal outdoor as well as the main)
Beach was well maintained with lots of activities on offer daily and children and familys seemed well catered for.
We stayed demi pension(half board) but all inclusive was very reasonable and will definetly choose that option when I return..which I will.
The food was superb, huge breakfast selection and dinner equally impressive.
As a chef I know when effort and good cooking has been maintained and could not fault it.
An extremely pleasant experience from beginning to end
Highly recommend this resort for familys and couples but also if your just wanting a place to relax and won't break the bank, this place is for you.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank phil h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zarzis
Zephir Hotel & Spa
Vincci Helios Beach
#1 of 46 in Midoun
Djerba Plaza Hotel & Spa
Safira Palms Hotel & Spa

Been to Odyssee Resort & Thalasso? Share your experiences!