“Yasmine Hammamet”
Review of Hammamet

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Porto
30 helpful votes
“Yasmine Hammamet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

I've just returned from a 7-day vacation at Yasmine Hammamet (about 10km to the south of Hammamet) in Tunisia.
It is a nice place to be in order to have a nice sunny vacations and to know a different culture.

In here you can be sure that you are able to have a very vivid night due to the new Hammamet Medina and other fun sites (like carthago land), you can also visit several
shops where you can buy souvenirs or have dinner at several restaurants (mexicans, italians, tunisians (namelly the Sultan or sherazade), etc.)
It also has a small marina where you can have a tasty italian ice-cream.
Additionally if you want to go to Hammamet or Nabeul you can easily catch a bus or a taxi to get there.
I was very surprise with tourist-oriented culture of Yasmine Hammamet. Sometimes it even remembered me the south of spain. Another strong point of the tunisians
is their ability to speak several languages fluently (for example the hotel staff spoke arabic, french, english, spanish and italien)

In my opinion there are two very negative points in yasmine hammamet:
1) Tunisians - most of the tunisians with whom I've got in touch were unpleasant, unhelpful and impolite and always looking to get a tip regardless of the
service they provide was good or not. The waiters at the restaurants weren't very friendly nor
polite. By the opposite the sellers of the medina were nice and were always ready to bargain their products (try always to buy things a third of the price their start by saying)
Be aware: do not discuss prices in the outside, always do this inside the store.
2) Beach - the beaches at Yasmine Hammamet were awful because they smelled very bad and were full of algae. Also the sand was very dirty.

I've also made two excursions: a 2-day excursion to the desert and a one day trip to Tunis, Carthago and Sidi Bou Said.
I strongly recommend the desert excursion, however do not expect to travel too deep in the Sahara Desert. It is more a cultural travel to several touristic spots of Tunisia.

Regarding the trip to Tunis, Carthago and Sidi Bou Said I was a little disappointed. The only thing I saw of some interest in Tunis was the Medina, in Carthago was the museum (that can only be truly appreciated by a person who likes to visit museums and who is interested by history - I'm not this kind of person - and in Sidi Bou Said you can observe a beautiful landscape combining beach and mountains. These things aren't enough to justify wasting a day lying at the sun by the pool or at the beach.

I've also published a review regarding the hotel were I've stayed at (Iberostar Solaria) that you are free to read.

3 Thank RPereira2008
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 helpful votes
“Iberostar Phenicia and Hammamet in general - and Airport”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

Although I found Hammamet ok (merely ok) as a place I found most of the local people to be extremely pushy, not to say down right rude and grabbing - especially the traders in Hammamet Medina. These latter were so bad - even resorting to physically trying to manhandle you into their shops that I would NEVER go there again - and I'm usually quite blase about this sort of thing. My son, after our experience there on day 2 of our 14, refused to go anywhere near there and almost anywhere else with shops for the rest of our holiday - and he's a 6ft plus rugby player. If we hadn't been conversing in Welsh as much as we could to confuse the locals and to try and prevent such extreme hassle the problem would have been far worse.
Apart from that - beach superb, Iberostar Phenicia great, food + beer + wine good basic stuff, trains great and very cheap and excellent guides on our 3 trips (desert 2 days, Dougga, Bardo/Sidi b Said/Tunis) and NO mosquitos. Also First Choice local rep Jo possibly best rep ever had in 28 years of non-solo holidays abroad.
Prices so low we had difficulty in trying to get anywhere near 10% under budget for spending money !
Sorry no photos - may get some of my 1200 scanned onto computer in future though - keep watching this space !

AIRPORT - all guides say get rid of all dinars before going through passport control as the shops dont take them. Dont - unless you dont want any food or drink. There are several cafe/bar/food outlets that only price in dinars - allow more usual prices though - about 1.5 - 2 times local prices e.g. 6TD for half litre draught lager rather than 4TD. Duty free - go for French type booze - brandy much cheaper than duty free in Greece,Poland,Czech etc etc airports.

2 Thank andsombris
Alcester, United Kingdom
20 helpful votes
“First time to Hammamet, Tunisia but not the last!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2008

We needed some sun so I looked for last minute offers in April. One of these was to Hammamet, Tunisia. I looked for info, reviews of H but couldn't find my much. In particular, the only info on the hotel, Les Citronniers, was in Trip Advisor which made me nervous. However, the deal was pretty good so I booked it but with some trepidation.

Transfer to Hammamet was about 1hr 45mins and what I saw when we starting dropping people off worried me. Big hotel after big hotel some of them designed in a grotesque Disneyland look. Mock Hannibal and Carthaginians on top mock elephants and on and on.

HOTEL
We were dropped outside what seemed a small hotel, Les Citronniers. The hotel was ideal for us. It was a small, family run place only 2 mins from a gorgeous beach. The staff were helpful and friendly. The food in the restaurant was very good and better than some of the local restaurants. Always a good sign for us was that there were lots of locals using the hotel.

BEACH
As already stated the beach was very close and ideal for us. It stretches almost as far as you can see and having walked the length of it, the area by Les Citronniers was the best part. The sand was fine, kept clean and if you go to the beach you will meet Rambo, who manages the sunbeds on behalf of Les Citronniers. He is a good lad and very entertaining. You will see him in other reviews. The hotel has a small beach bar which opened halfway through our stay so this made the beach even more attractive.

We went early in the season so there were few people – once again perfect for us. The weather was warm but not hot. There was a breeze of the sea which made it a little cooler but overall I guess the temperature was high 20oC / low 30oC - once again perfect for us.

AREA
Hammamet town was about 45mins walk from our hotel. It didn’t much interest for us but in truth we just wanted to be on the beach and relax. However, we did visit the Medina – small in comparison to others we have visited but the same pushy, friendly stall holders. We didn’t stay long.

In the other direction from our hotel was Yasmine Hammamet (1hr walk). This is a new specially built tourist centre with marina, new shops, restaurants, walled boulevards and big hotel after big hotel ... Hannibal and Carthaginians on top mock elephants and on and on! Not for us.

FURTHER AFIELD
We only did one trip out which was organised by the holiday rep. It was to the coliseum at El Jem and Kairouan, the fourth holiest city in Islam. The coliseum was impressive but a little disappointed with the Mosque having been to the Blue Mosque.

We will definitely go back to Les Citronniers, Hammamet to get a bit of early season sun and avoiding the high season crowds and high season temperatures.

4 Thank stevepayne08
USA
15 helpful votes
“hammamet yasmine”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2007

Yasmine Hammamet is newly build resort but very badly planed . Row of mostly kitsch style hotels is separated from the dirty beach by wide street where occasionally speeding taxi cap passes by. Devastation and dirt is seen everywhere. Brocken street lamps holes knee deep on the side walk and cars parked with no regards for pedestrians.. Drivers making U-turns on the side walk commonly seen. Entrances to the hotel are 30 m. away from the curb side, making dragging you luggage painfully inconvenient. Beach is extremely dirty with garbage and camel extrements everywhere (see my picks). Service is not up to western standarts, no smiles, no please no thank you and with few exceptions very slow.. Star- based hotel rating does not match that in Eu or USA. Aggressive merchants on every corner mumbling words in Arabic behind your back if you don't buy trying to sell you cheap copy of famous brand products.

Fiber glass elephants will greed you at the entrance to Disney Land style Medina build exclusively for tourists. If you ask for beer there most likely you will be served non-alcoholic without prior warning what you are getting. You can find animal cruelty there too. At the very entrance scary looking individuals keep on the leash juvenile lion and tiger.They will demand pay if you wish to take a photo.If you don't pay, believe me. they will make you delete your picture. Cheep, cruel attraction !

If you decide to go to Hammamet during Ramadan expect to be insulted, even in the tourist zone.Most likely you will be approached by locals if you smoke drink or eat like you used to do.

4 Thank globetroter_7
plymouth
9 helpful votes
“Adore Hammamet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

My husband and I have been to Hammamet for the past 5 years, we have always stayed
at the same hotel, this year we are changing and staying at the Sol Azur. If it is as good
as the one we have stayed in the other years I will be thrilled. I can't wait for the 29th of
July to come. I adore Tunisia in particular Hammamet. It's like stepping back in time, the
old town with it's Medina, the wonderful seafront cafe, where we sit and watch the
world go by, the people are lovely, some say pushy I prefer to say friendly, of course
you get hassled in the medina, you only have to say no and walk away. Tunisian folk do
not understand the concept of window shopping, if you pick up an item they assume you
intend to buy it. Thats just their culture. On our 5 holidays we have travelled all over and
loved every minute. We have done the 2 day Sahara trip twice, spectacular and breath
taking. I could quite happily live in Tunisia.
If the hotel Sol Azur is as good as we've heard, lovely rooms with a balcony, good food,
good service I'll be over the moon.

Lynn
Plymouth.

2 Thank enchallah

Been to Hammamet? Share your experiences!