“amazing”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“amazing”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

went here with the guide he explained everything about the ruins and the importance of it all very mystic soulful place to be right by the sea so amazing to see such a big roman site

Visited May 2012

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Aarhus, Denmark
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“OK place”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Ok - nice little place that gave a good impression how a Roman habitation has værert. There were many well-preserved mosaics.

Visited July 2012
Stafford, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Close to the hotel.”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We came across this by chance! For a change of scenery from the hotel its not far to walk and quite interesting. For those who are really into ancient ruins this might not be as interesting as places such as Dugga etc.

Visited July 2011
Llandudno, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Loved it but...”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I wasn't expecting very much from Pupput, but was pleasantly surprised at the extent of the site. It's not large in comparison to other Roman sites, but is larger than I was expecting. The site is situated in the middle of some hotels, and consists of baths, a residence and a church. The field it's in is quite lovely, and very peaceful. I should imagine that most visitors to the site are the only people there. The mosaics within the site are obviously not as detailed or impressive as the ones found in larger sites, the Bardo museum, etc, but it's lovely to see them in situ. And there's one of the big "buts" for me - it's plain that the mosaics are wearing away from being exposed to the elements and being walked over by tourists. When we visited it seemed some effort was being made to rope off some of the more intricate and delicate ones, but it seems like everywhere you looked there were little piles of tesserae that had come loose and piled into the corners.

The other "but" is not about the site but about the man working there. I paid for 3 adults (12 dinars) and gave him 15. He did not give me any change but (probably stupidly) I didn't like to ask for it and half assumed it was for camera permits. We then wandered off into the site only to have him chase after us to guide us around the site. We would have much preferred to have a look around in our own time, but could not shake him off. Luckily, two Italian women had come in, otherwise it would have been a bit too intense for my liking. At the end of the "tour" he then asked us to pay despite the fact we had already been overcharged! It's not so much the question of the money that annoyed me - it's not exactly a lot - but that it spoilt the visit for me.

For anyone who is thinking of visiting the site, I would definitely recommend going but watch out for the man at the entrance!

Visited May 2012
Preston, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 309 helpful votes
“Poorly protected and no help”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

On the plus side, admission was only 4 dihrams pp. However there was little or no signage to explain the site, no guidebooks, etc. Amazingly, the floor mosaics are not protected from the weather or tourists and so are crumbling further on a daily basis

Visited April 2012