“Ok, but not again.”

African Queen Hotel
Ranked #91 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was my 2nd visit to tunisia. I stayed in August 2013
1st impressions were not too good, i only speak english and this hotel is very much for everyone else but me. I met algeria, french, itialina, russia. I only met the two lovely girls from the animation who were from England.
My room was ok, but small. However I spent little time in the hotel. I never tried the food at all. but i only booked B&B. This place is so close to latino, calpysp havanna. if you want to go out at night then ok you can sleep by the pool or on the beach. A few restaurants and coffee places near so you can eat at night. I read the review and i was pretty worried. But
The entertainment was alright at night people did get involved which was nice.
I would not recommend this place to anyone from the UK go somewhere else there are so many nicer places to go in Yasmin or Hammamet. Even if its cheap you know why. The reviews speak for themselves....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Sarah-Louise-2013
There are newer reviews for African Queen Hotel

Reviewed July 6, 2013

ok I travelled on the 21st June 2013 with my wife, 14 yr old daughter, 2 year old son and 5 mth old daughter. I have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels before and believe me this one shouldnt have 3 let alone 4 stars. The entertainment team were busy looking for their next female conquest - the reception team were busy looking for their manners and the bar team were busy looking for their personalities, The whole workforce looked dejected and fed up - with comments like - "I have to stay over because if I dont they will fire me" - and all the time the little Hitler owner prances around with his cigar just watching it all happen - nobody just seemed to care about the people who were paying good money to stay there.
I wouldnt say the hotel was dirty but certainly unkempt - unloved. I dont think the building has seen paint since Dulux started making the stuff - sunbeds were filthy and broke - glasses and cups were chipped but reused - cutlery could have been made of paper it was so thin.
Examples of why I feel it should be a 2 star at best:
On arrival - no cot for 5 mth old and lock to patio broken - took a full day to get it sorted and when the cot turned up it was broke.
Food - everything cold if you was brave enough to eat it - and what was warm - i.e. the pizza and grilled chicken you had to queue up for 10 mins or more - and that is if you could get any after the locals had filled their tables to breaking point before leaving half of it to go to waste or in tomorrows soup.
Drinks - Only one bar in whole hotel - which doesnt give any drinks for all inclusive until 11am and when they do it is given begrudgingly in tiny plastic cups and the soft drinks were warm and the coffee completely cold - and the said plastic cups were still to be found in and around the pool the following morning.
Snacks - Again these were served at the one bar and all inclusive could only get a small plate of cakes per group between 4 and 5 pm - if the bar team wanted to get them on which on a couple of occasions they couldnt be bothered and didnt.
Pool bar - this does not exist and hasnt for some time - the structure is there but they havent used it as a bar for some years
Pool - Both main and kiddies pool were very good however they were not cleaned at all until the following morning when you were actually sat on your bed at 9am - on one occasion I watched 2 life guards pick up 2 lumps of dog poo from around the kiddies pool but left the remains on the tiles by the side of the pool and made no attempt to clean it.
Reception team - Tried on 2 occasions to rip me off with price of a taxi and for room extension on last night - in any 4 or 5 star establishment this would not take place. Also I found tha
t their level of English was very good when you wanted to pay for a service but when you wanted to question something or complain they very quickly forgotten their learning. Wifi only available if you practically sit on the reception desk and is switched off between midnight and 8am - when I asked one morning if they could sort it at 8 15 am I was left in no doubt they were too busy to attend to my needs and I in fact give up on it some 30 minutes later.
Lifts - It states there are 2 lifts in the whole complex - this is factually correct but they are very seldom both working at the same time - and sometimes with our family of 5 we had to watch the one lift going merrily up and down until we were lucky to find it empty so we could all get in.
Evening entertainment - Started at 9pm which initself was a long gap if you went into dinner at 7pm (which you have to if you want any food) - consisted mainly of 30 minutes of kids disco - 30 minutes of the longest bingo game in history - then on 2 nights a week you got 30 minutes of local artiste - ie snake charmer or dancer then disco till 12 - then the locals used the outside pool as an impromptu disco until other guests complained.
Kids entertainment - throughtout the day and evening the animation team were more interested in chatting up the ladies than spending time with the kids - so much so that 2 young english girls we met over there were asked if they wanted to work there on the animation team - says it all.
If all the above is not bad enough - this place is not for the english or even european - everything is geared to the muslim clientele and I strongly suggest that the comapnies sending clients over there should review the place - I am not sure how often holiday companies review the hotels they send people to but I cannot believe this one has been reviewed in some years.

Rep I couldnt comment too much on the rep because she was only here on the morning of our arrival for our welcome party at 10 am after we only arrived at 6am - so with 2 little uns we didnt get to that - and on the one occasion I had to ring her her to help me to get my pram back from where ever thomas cook had left it was of no use whatsoever - in fact I had to get a taxi back to the airport 2 days later at my own expense.

Whilst I agree it is important that you let the place know if you are not happy with something to let them put it right - but believe me this would be a waste of time and energy here - because they just dont care - and on the occasions I did question or complain I found that the whole family was treated with even less respect than before - it was case of putting up with it until we could escape

I seriously could go on - and if the owner doesnt agree with me I would challenge him to have a discussion on here at any time

Please do not go here - I would not go back at half the price.

Room Tip: none of them
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank JOEM1406
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 10 days and booked the hotel via a online company ... Then I read the reviews so for about 2 months prior to arriving I kept looking for something a bit positive. However when we arrived I was plesantly suprised checkin was very smooth and reception decor was lovely African paintings and wicker furniture I was shown to the room which was on the 5 th floor but got a lovely sea view and pool view as I'd only booked bed and breakfast drinks were reasonably priced and there was a lunch menu you could purchase and if u wanted an evening meal there to you could pay to use the dining buffet we did order a few lunches and was suprised how nice they were as one of the things I read was the food all inclusive wasn't good. Rooms was cleaned daily with fresh towels everyday my only niggle with the cleanliness was the pool kids pool wasn't very clean always bits floating in it but the main pool was clean. Staff were helpful and friendly waiters by the pool if u needed something and animation team were good kept kids entertained with activities kids club or even just talking to them in all a nice relaxing holiday and I would visit this hotel again

• Stayed: June 2013
9  Thank beckoues
Reviewed September 9, 2012

What can i say terrible is not enough . Has been very hard . The list of the bad things is very long . aircondting not working . towels not been changed . food very poor service. staff inhelpfull ......

• Stayed: September 2012
9  Thank ChouchaneTN
Reviewed August 28, 2012

First of all, those who say they liked this hotel well they should stop lying about it. Maybe those people who are saying they enjoyed the holtel they are paid to say things like that.
You should make a difference between a good holiday and a good hotel. Your holiday could be still be fantastic even if your hotel is a mess.
I stayed in African Queen for a week and it wasn`t that nice. Just to mention some details when we didn`t give money to the cleaning ladies they stopped to clean our room !!! We didn`t have toilett paper or clean towels and the floor was dirty. Next, we wanted to BUY a bottle of water but we were sent away as we weren`t exclusive clients so we had no right to buy a single bottle of water !!! Nice.
The music was terribly loud, impossible to relax next to the pool. The food was just ok nothing special as I didn`t dare to eat I have no idea how was it. All day long there was a strange smell in the air, not nice.
This is definitly not a 4 stars hotel !!
Thanks God we went away for two days for a road trip and there I had the chance to see a real 4 stars hotel . It was amazing ! Clean, nice, pretty, very nice people and everything smelled jasmin. :) That was a ray of hope during my holiday.
So it is such a shame for everyone who sells this hotel or organizes trips to this hotel. Do not go there!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank rekettyee
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We have just returned home from Tunesia where we spend 14 days at Hotel African Queen
and we can recomend this hotel.
We had two big 3 beds rooms with seewiev. The food was local, variated and healthy. Fresh fish every day.
The service is good but we recomand that you inform the waiter - your requirements and wishes - be specific crisp and clear. We suggest that tip your waiter - it helps a lot on the service. If you are unhappy with something then say so and if it does not help, please contact the hotel manager.
The beach was fantastic with plenty of sun chairs and shadow "spots" for free.
The only bad thing is that - we - event though had bought all inclusive we still had to fight to get could water in big botteles instead of the small plastic cops they normal serve it in. It seems as if they were afraid of that we would steal their water or drink to much of it.!!
But all in all very good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Bjarne W
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We have stayed at the African Queen a number of times and keep going back. I am not sure what people want for their money. Unfortunately some people go on holiday and expect it to be like England in the sun. A few years ago there was a bit of a language barrier but now I do not have a problem being understood. The rooms are spacious and cleaned every day. We had a lovely seaview. We found the beds very comfortable although as someone suggested, the pillows are lumpy. There is only one English speaking channel in the room so what we do is bring a DVD player with us, they are so small and slim nowadays so easy to put in your suitcase and a spool of DVDs (not that you are on holiday to watch DVDs but its nice to have a few home comforts). Don't forget to bring the connector cables, in my experience they tend to be the coloured cables and not a scart lead although I always pack both. I saw someone mention the owner of the hotel walking around with his cigar and making them feel uncomfortable. Mustapha is the owner of the hotel and yes he does walk around with his cigar. He is always very pleasant to us and speaks perfect English. Don't be put off by him, go and have a chat. We had no problems with changing money in the hotel. Breakfast consists of cereal, yoghurt, eggs, cheese, bread, crepes, rice pudding, tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc - something for everyone. There was a variety at dinner time. I think someone described it as "slops". This has never been the case in my experience. There is free WiFi in reception and the keycode is queen. The beach is a few minutes walk away and there are staff onhand to help you move the loungers etc. There is also a beach bar there. If you want to venture out in the evening for dinner, there is a restaurant called La Bella Marina which is a short taxi ride away. There is a variety of soft drinks at the hotel but remember this is a Muslim country and not Europe and you are not going to get a massive varitey of alcohol. Having said that, the local beer (Celtia) and wine is good. If you are looking for branded spirits, bring your own or expect to pay a lot of money for it. The taxis are very cheap, in fact much cheaper than last year. Nabeul is worth a visit (Friday is market day) as is Yasmine and Hammamet Centre. If you are looking for supermarkets, there is the Magasin General in Hammamet Centre and a Carrefour in Nabeul. There is a supermarket in Yasmine but it is not as good. Take a walk around the Marina in Yasmine and stop at one of the many restaurants and watch the world go by.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool and with sea views are the noisiest but the view is fantastic.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple