“Nice holiday at African Queen - feedback from a danish family - 6 persons”

African Queen Hotel
Ranked #85 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We have just returned home from Tunesia where we spend 14 days at Hotel African Queen
and we can recomend this hotel.
We had two big 3 beds rooms with seewiev. The food was local, variated and healthy. Fresh fish every day.
The service is good but we recomand that you inform the waiter - your requirements and wishes - be specific crisp and clear. We suggest that tip your waiter - it helps a lot on the service. If you are unhappy with something then say so and if it does not help, please contact the hotel manager.
The beach was fantastic with plenty of sun chairs and shadow "spots" for free.
The only bad thing is that - we - event though had bought all inclusive we still had to fight to get could water in big botteles instead of the small plastic cops they normal serve it in. It seems as if they were afraid of that we would steal their water or drink to much of it.!!
But all in all very good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Bjarne W

Reviewed July 3, 2012

We have stayed at the African Queen a number of times and keep going back. I am not sure what people want for their money. Unfortunately some people go on holiday and expect it to be like England in the sun. A few years ago there was a bit of a language barrier but now I do not have a problem being understood. The rooms are spacious and cleaned every day. We had a lovely seaview. We found the beds very comfortable although as someone suggested, the pillows are lumpy. There is only one English speaking channel in the room so what we do is bring a DVD player with us, they are so small and slim nowadays so easy to put in your suitcase and a spool of DVDs (not that you are on holiday to watch DVDs but its nice to have a few home comforts). Don't forget to bring the connector cables, in my experience they tend to be the coloured cables and not a scart lead although I always pack both. I saw someone mention the owner of the hotel walking around with his cigar and making them feel uncomfortable. Mustapha is the owner of the hotel and yes he does walk around with his cigar. He is always very pleasant to us and speaks perfect English. Don't be put off by him, go and have a chat. We had no problems with changing money in the hotel. Breakfast consists of cereal, yoghurt, eggs, cheese, bread, crepes, rice pudding, tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc - something for everyone. There was a variety at dinner time. I think someone described it as "slops". This has never been the case in my experience. There is free WiFi in reception and the keycode is queen. The beach is a few minutes walk away and there are staff onhand to help you move the loungers etc. There is also a beach bar there. If you want to venture out in the evening for dinner, there is a restaurant called La Bella Marina which is a short taxi ride away. There is a variety of soft drinks at the hotel but remember this is a Muslim country and not Europe and you are not going to get a massive varitey of alcohol. Having said that, the local beer (Celtia) and wine is good. If you are looking for branded spirits, bring your own or expect to pay a lot of money for it. The taxis are very cheap, in fact much cheaper than last year. Nabeul is worth a visit (Friday is market day) as is Yasmine and Hammamet Centre. If you are looking for supermarkets, there is the Magasin General in Hammamet Centre and a Carrefour in Nabeul. There is a supermarket in Yasmine but it is not as good. Take a walk around the Marina in Yasmine and stop at one of the many restaurants and watch the world go by.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool and with sea views are the noisiest but the view is fantastic.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Trashmeister
Reviewed May 24, 2012

For what we paid for the week in May it wouldnt have bought you a meal for two and a few bottles of wine on a night out at home. Amazing value. The hotel was seriously really nice. Unlike some of the reviews I have read about this hotel one being the unfriendliness of the staff. This was without doubt incorrect. The reception desk during the day and night was pleasant, helpful and friendly. The rooms were spacious clean and had lovely wicker dressers and chairs quite like that you'd find in Madeira. Very classy. I was given a room with a seaview and a lovely balcony. The view of the sea in the morning was quite breathtaking. The gardens around the swimming pool are well kept and the pool itself is big with a kiddies pool too. The animation team are forever friendly and always around the pool with their daily games and pool aerobics. The waiters were courteous and well dressed. The poolside snacks were erally nice and not expensive. There is also a pleasant hotel bar for chilling in the evening with plenty of music laid on from the hotel animation. The breakfast came with freshly squeezed orange juice, homemade crepes, pots of tea or coffee and fresh bread. The dining area is quite large and its doors are kept open in the mornings to allow air from the gardens to fill the breakfast room. The staff too are at hand to help. Ok the lift to your room is a bit slow at times but there are two lifts and the glass one has a view of the pool. The reception area is designed in an African mohogany theme and this makes it look slight dark at times otherwise its fine. Oh yes there is a welcome drink on arrival. No not champagne. What do you expect. For what I paid hand o my heart this deserves better publicity than its been given. I would certianly stay there again. I had a lovely week at the African Queen with my friends from Wales. Taxis are just outside and the beach 2 minutes walk away. There are souvenir shops and coffee shops around the corner and a bowling alley in the Hotel around the corner. The Bedweina restaurant was we found a really lovely place to eat and very reasonable indeed. Get there by taxi from the hotel 3 minutes only and taxis are really cheap.

Room Tip: Great value for the euro...under rated hotel....fantastic for getting to the beach as its just a wal...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
12  Thank McKensie7
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Having returned from my holiday yesterday I feel compelled to write this review. The hotel itself and staff cannot be faulted. Apart from they need to put chlorine in the pool to get rid of the algae. The staff on the whole were more than helpful and friendly (don't change your money there though as they don't really know English money and therefore get confused). It is such a shame that this hotel is so biased towards its French and German guests. The staff don't speak very good English and the food is woeful. Our room was beautiful, lovely and spacious with a massive bed. Hammamet itself is quiet but there is an awesome English bar there called Shakespeare's and their drag night on a Friday is well worth the 40 dinar, it includes a 3 course meal too. A day at Nabeul market is worth it. But if you don't like hassle when shopping avoid the Medinas.

Like I said if you don't mind being the only English person there then this hotel is for you but I would say avoid it.

Also the spa and gym are non existent.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vikkitheargylefan
Reviewed December 2, 2010

food was almost like slops and no choice,breakfast food was then used for lunchtime?????
all inclusive ? never seen a hotel like this one ever,no snacks for children .food was not cooked and almost raw.
beds ,were like sleeping on concrete and pillows were like sacks of potatoes,this was a waste of money and never a 4 star ,a hotel near by is a 3 star and makes this hotel look like a minus 4 star . dirty pool areas inside and outside ,not kept to a standard.
only good part was leaving hotel to come home........

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank mrunhappy65
Reviewed November 4, 2010

We went for 1 week and booked for B&B only as we tend to eat out a lot, this was a very good thing.
We arrived late to the hotel and the staff were really lovely and allowed us to eat in the restaurant, they couldn't have been more helpful. The menu was very limiting and was the same for lunch & dinner. We definitely did the right thing by not going all inclusive.
The rooms were a good size & laid out well, though the beds were like sleeping on boards and pillows were lumpier than old school mash!!! The cleaners were really lovely and always made the room look nice with flowers.
The owner of the hotel was a bit off putting constantly walking around smoking a cigar, he made me feel very uncomfortable.
The guys in the bar were really lovely and recommended good places to go to eat, and even took us clubbing!!!! The drinks were not expensive but again not much choice.
The entertainment was a little pointless, they had a belly dancing, snake charmer and a dance group but they were only for a short time and spent most of their time talking with friends.
The best club we went to was called locally the bridge bar, had a good mix of local and dance music, I didn't stop dancing the whole night.
The outside pool area was really nice but all pools felt like they were full of iced water, it was funny watching people dive in & jump straight back out!
On the first day we booked massages in the health suite, these were excellent, the two girls were really lovely and very professional, I would definitely recommend this for the first day.
The beach was beautiful and the beach bars had great food.
The location is good, a few local shops and restaurants, but ever thing is a short taxi drive away, & the Tunisians taxi everywhere!!!
The medina of Hammemt is very suffocating, every stall sells the same things and the owners do not stop trying to get you in their shops, sometimes funny we heard lots liquidation sale, its better than Asda price.
Yasmine was much nicer the marina was beautiful, and you weren't harassed as much by shop owners.
One particular restaurant which I would defiantly recommend is the La Bouillabaisse, the most amazing food, service and not too expensive defiantly try the local food, especially harrisa.
Was a nice break but feel like there would be not point returning

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nicklebint
Reviewed October 26, 2010

It is situated halfway between Hammamet Yasmine and Old Hammamet. We could reach both of them within 10 minutes by taxi.
The African Queen is a big structure. Beautiful from outside and had a great swimming pool. The beach in front of the hotel is really wonderful. I would never expect it like that. Crystal clear water and fine white sand.
But the hotel inside is a little dark for my taste and should be cleaner. The rooms are ok. Spacious but even them would need to be better cleaned. There was a lizard in the room when I arrived. There is no safe box in the room. There is just one downstairs for which we had to pay for.
The food was good. I had just to think that I’m in a foreign country and I had to try new food. The strange thing was that I had an all inclusive service, but when I asked to the waiter to bring me something to drink, I had to pay for it. I had to go to the bar and take it by myself if I wanted for free and this glass after glass. If I asked for water, they would give me just one glass of water. So I had to stand up a couple of times while eating…
Internet in the lobby was super expensive.
It is a four star hotel, but not for European standards….
But it was still a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple