“Worst 4 Star ever”
Review of Zodiac

Zodiac
Ranked #43 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We have been to Tunisia several times although the first time in Hammamet so we are fully aware of some of the positives and negatives of the hotels.

The food is dreadful, little choice, tasteless, flies everywhere and from what I heard from another guest the raw food storage would fail any EU basic food hygiene standards, no wonder we were never far from a toilet.

Restaurant service is a bit faulty towers, with it's own feckless Manuel and a friendly but a stressed Basil who to me accused all the other staff of being asleep on the job when I pointed out that they'd run out of hot drinks at breakfast. Outside eating is ok if you can find a table laid or a waiter that's half interested. No air con inside and to many flies so not a good option.

Rooms are small but clean, hot water is intermittent. Camping would of been a more comfortable sleeping experience. I can only assume they buy pillows from the Dinar equivalent to Poundland. To be fair the smaller kids beds were slightly more comfortable so I asked at reception if the adult beds could be swapped to similar to the kids ones which they agreed too but nothing materialised. Neither did the request for 2 extra pillows even though we tipped the maid in advance as was told we'd get them within 5 minutes.

By the pool was not a relaxing experience, animation team were overpowering and very dictatorial with what the kids play with and when. No need for a 10 am 'wake up' song with a cockerel crowing at full blast on a distorted sound system. They also had an annoying habit of blowing whistles every couple of minutes throughout the day.

Although we'd expect someone to try and sell us boat trips et al it is not acceptable for the same person to approach your family 3 times per day whilst at the pool and then for that person to be very rude when asked to leave us alone.

A mix of nationalities at the hotel but with a French bias. If you ever want to know where the French Chav's go on their hols, this is it.

Never again

Room Tip: If you want go to sleep before midnight ask for a car park view room, not pool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JohnBuilder1

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just returned home after a 10 day stay at Zodiac and although a bit shabby in places its not too bad. The main issues for us was the food which did not cater for British guests at all. Breakfast comprised of croissants and pain au chocolat, hot vegetables and sometimes tomatoes, cereal, French stick, cold meat and cheese. Okay the chef is there to make fresh scrambled eggs, omeletes or crepes but no toaster, fruit or yoghurt.

Evening meals were better but only just. The deserts were left on the side, uncovered so flies were landing on them.

There is a tv in the room but no English speaking channels. No kettle or fridge.

The rooms were cleanish and towels and bedding changed regularly but the balcony furniture, well they had to be wiped with wet wipes so we could sit on them!!

The pool area is attractive and it was cleaned during the mornings. However the sunbeds and cushions were not clean either. There seems to be an issue with outside furnishings with regards to cleanliness there but in fairness there were a lot of very dirty cars around so not sure if they had had some rain before we arrived which may be the reason.

The hotel staff were brilliant, very helpful and friendly. The animation team were always on the go with activities starting at 10am and going through to the evening.

The wifi in the reception area is a bit hit and miss.

I did have a Turkish bath and scrub in the spa there but it was totally different to the ones I had had previously. Here I was scrubbed from head to toe with what felt like a brillo pad and then left to rinse myself off - no soaping up. Very strange.

As for Tunisia, its not what I expected, having been to Morocco and thought it might have been similar I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sandra L
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have today rerurned from the Zodiac, I went with very mixed feelings after reading a lot of the reviews, However, I was so glad that I went and experienced it myself.People that complain about the food have to realise that this is a more traditional Tunisia hotel and caters for this, I know a lot of people complain about the food, if you want English food stay in England!!!!But don't knock the hotel because of this. Yes, the food could have been hotter as us Brits seem to like our food piping hot, but the is a microwave where you are able to heat it up for a few minutes, problem solved. The was always plenty to eat and it is always nice to try .

We were the only English couple in the resort for a few days and I can only say that the animation team went out of their way to include us in all activitys communication was never a problem.

The rooms were clean, we did hire a safe and the are some very small safes that would have not been suitable for our needs, once I pointed this out to the receptionist, she managed to allocate me a much bigger safe...... if you don't ask you don't get.

Special thanks must also go to Katy our rep at You Tours. Katy was a star who managed to sort out a problem that had nothing to do with our stay, but acted efficiently.

Animation team can be summed up in one word fabulous. Lovely waiters who always knew what I wanted to drink and when I wanted a refill without being asked....... Wonderful customer service. Well done.

Both Receptionist very courteous and professional.

I would definately recommend this hotel as it was excellent value for money.

Please feel free if you need to ask any questions.

Room Tip: Ask for referbished rooms over the pool, we were in Room 226 very good view not noisy at all.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Annetteoreilly
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is the 4th time myself and my husband have stayed at the Zodiac very friendly and clean hotel Food is excellent staff cant do enough for you. Rooms are very cosy and clean have recommended this hotel to friends and will be going back again this September. Excellent value for money. Jennie and Paul

Room Tip: Always book a pool view on 1st floor
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jennie w
Reviewed January 28, 2013

A big plus is a very friendly staff - it can compensate many things. Now disadvantages (may be they are subjective, but however). Unfortunately, the hotel itself seems to be a quite old, and rooms may require repair. No fridges in rooms (may for additional cost - we did not ask it). Safes on reception are disaster - they can hold only some papers. Breakfasts are not good (our children refused to eat them, except for pancakes and bread), but dinners are all edible, especially tunisian kitchen. Beach was good at morning, but later it was too much of sea grass in the sea and sometimes even garbage. But as I said, staff does all his best. I'd like to say a special thanks to animation team and to Cafe Maure. May I recommend this hotel? Well, it depends. If you want to spend most of your time in hotel, may be it's not a best choice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Sviatoslav R
Reviewed December 5, 2012

For around 40USD, this hotel is a good value for money. Location is great in yasmine Hammamet 5 min from the beach. Rooms are average, don't expect fancy decration and furniture. Rooms decently clean. We had some bulbs off in the room but hotel staff got it repaired relatively quickly. Food is good and tasty (Tunisian Taste), however restaurant staff should observe more hygienic standards in presenting and handling food.
This is not definitely a 4 star hotel but for that price you won't get anything like it in Hamamet.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 3orsa-Bo9
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We recently visited this hotel, We were made very welcome and the rooms were cleaned daily, The only downfall was lack of entertainment. Our concerns were quickly dealt with, Would recommend this hotel

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple