“Xmas at the Zodiac hotel.”
Review of Zodiac

Zodiac
Ranked #43 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My husband, my adult son, and I spent a very enjoyable Xmas week at the Zodiac. We were made most welcome by the reception, bar staff, waiters, mint tea man and the animation team. We were the only guests from the UK and therefore at first felt rather alone. However once we
settled everyone was very friendly. A superb gala meal was presented on Xmas eve with cocktails and entertainment throughout the evening. Entertainment was included every evening in the hotel performed by a very hardworking animation team. The rooms were warm and very clean. A very enjoyable Xmas break.

• Stayed: December 2011
25  Thank PatsyLondonSE

Reviewed September 22, 2011

Hi. My 20 year old daughter and I went to tunisia between the 2nd nd the 9th of tunisia. We stayed at the hotel Zodiac. We had a really good time. Our room was clean and spacious. We had daily clean towels and one day the chamber maid put flowers on out pillows, which we thought was a really sweet touch. Also on arrival while we were checking in a waiter brought us both a cold fruit juice, which I thought was a lovely gesture. The food was of an acceptable quality, but a little bit repetative. The staff were friendly and attentive and although we had some problems understaning the entertainment (all in french) we could make out the meaning of it and it was hillarious. The animation staff were friendly. The beach was a short walk from the hotel, but not too far and was manned by attentive staff. I would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
24  Thank sylkeplichta
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Me and my partner arrived to Zodiac hotel 7.9.2011 and stayed for 4 nights, all inclusive.
The first night we managed to have a dinner which was very good. In the morning we had a shower and the hot water didnt work!!! It seemed to me that they were saving on hot water. We complained to the reception staff and the guy said he will send someone to fix it. For the rest our stay, nobody fixed it!
The room was big and the beds were ok. The pillow was really small, like for a child.The bathroom was big too but in a bad condition!. As I mention before, the hot water did not work well, the shower curtains had some holes in it, the mirror was very old with some black marks in it. The cleaner didnt empty our bathroom bin (there wasnt any other bin ! ), also towels werent changed every day. The toilet was separate from the bathroom and it didnt flash well at all.
I did not complain anymore as the staff wasnt helpful at all.
The food was nice and good choice. I think I put some weight on.
There is no beach...you have to go out of hotel, cross the road and walk down to the beach which can be found easily. Its a private beach for Zodiac guests.
The animation team was average....I have seen better programme in other hotels. But I loved Aqua gym in the pool also playing wolleyball etc.

In my opinion....I willl never go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view room and top floor (there are only 2 floors)
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank ZDENKALondon
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We searched for a full board hotel in Hammamet that came within our very strict budget and Zodiac was the winner! I was cautious after reading so many poor reviews, but they are all WRONG!! What a lovely hotel, excellent service, friendly, helpful staff, nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms were clean and comfortable the food was plentiful and good quality and the staff were happy to help. My husband and I wanted to have some time alone and the peaceful hotel grounds and pool were excellent! Wifi available in the reception area, well stocked and reasonably priced bar and quality catering. We were staying on a full board basis and due to the recent revolution and downturn in tourisim our holiday was very cheap. Our standard double room was £22.00 a night for two people on full board!!! Majority of guests seemed to be French or Algerian who are also enjoying the hospitality this lovely little hotel has to offer. Lovely clean pool and spa area - everything you could wish for a sunny break away!! Relax, soak up the sun and enjoy!
Tunisia has gone through a revolution and what I would say is how important it is the rest of the world support them in their success and return to Tunisia and bring it back to its former glory as a holiday destination. The locals rely very heavily on Tourisim and this has been massively effected by the Revolution and unemployment is escalating. I'm a frequent traveller to Tunisia because of family and I can honestly say its one of the most beautiful Arabic countries you can visit!

Room Tip: We had a standard double room with balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
22  Thank Random_Heather
Reviewed December 11, 2010

What a great time we had at he Zodiac Hotel 4th to 10th December. The food, the staff, the rooms, the facilities were second to none. We are still amazed at how cheap it was!! Not every-one spoke English, but they made an effort, or found some-one who could translate. Ignore the complainers. The food was Tunisian, but there was always something for even the plainest eaters. Aldo, Billy and Chris of the animation team were great, and made us so welcome.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
14  Thank annettenian
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Myself and a friend stayed here for a fortnights last minute holiday at the end of august 2010. Admittedly it was quite cheap for a fortnights all inclusive trip. When we arrived it was approx 3am and were immediately greeted by a rather strange smell and the hotel was in almost complete darkness. Having been led along dark corridors we were quite happy when we got to the room although it was missing the fridge that was mentioned when booking and we were told the bar was closed so it was impossible to get a drink, or even a cup of coffee.

At lunchtime we were charged 1.75 dinar for a bottle of water even though we were all inclusive. It was only when we spoke with our rep that we were given the wristbands needed to identify ourselves as being all inclusive guests.

The "animation" staff were one of the most annoying features of this hotel, all day long they were shouting "waterpolo, volleyball, aerobics, darts" etc in a seeming attempt to get adults to join in the kids games. In the evenings we were continually pestered to attend their shows, which admittedly were worth it for the comedy value alone, ok they dont have much to work with, but they did try!!!

The service at the fly infested pool bar was horrendous. When they eventually decided that someone was able to serve us, it took on averegae 10 minutes for them to pour a couple of half pints of beer. On one occasion when we asked for 2 beers we were given only 1, we were informed that the bar closed just as they had finished pouring one of the drinks and if we wanted the 2nd we would need to go to the indoor bar! Now the indoor bar, well, the service was something else! The barman seemed to be terminally depressed. Each night the bar closed immediately at midnight, the lights all turned off no matter how many of their guests were sitting there, although when the lights were turned off there seemed less chance of being bitten by the resident mosquitoes. I was informed that he couldn't open another bottle of vodka as it was after 11pm so I could only have gin or beer.

There was plenty food always available in the restaurant at mealtimes although it would take a forensic detective to work out exactly what species of animal the meat was from, rabbit and camel seemed regular options. There was very little variation on what was available but it was good fun trying to figure out exactly what was on offer!

A word of warning to female guests, especially those with blonde hair. Some of the male staff would attempt to touch your hair at any chance they got, even when you are lying sleeping on a sun lounger.

You may notice most of the positive reviews for this hotel are in french. The staff at the hotel seemed only interested in the french guests, the few brits, italians, germans and polish who were staying are generally regarded as 2nd class. Even those of us who did attempt to speak french or even the odd word in arabic.

I would highly recommend not visiting this hotel or indeed tunisia during ramadan as we did, the staff get really grumpy as they day goes by due to them fasting and they get a bit jealous of the fact their paying guests are drinking and eating.

There is very little to do in the hotel or the resort other than sunbathing or shopping for counterfeit goods of which the many shops all seem to sell the same items. Avoid the non "fixed price" shops where they will literally grab hold of you and try and drag you in.

I can safely say we will NEVER return to Tunisia!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
18  Thank fannybaws
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We had a great time. What a friendly hotel, despite the fact that not everyone spoke english. They made us feel really welcome. Great selection of food at every mealtime and the desserts were second to none. Needless to say we both gained a few pounds as we were lucky enough to be there for a fortnight. Highly recommend it and we will definitely go back again. Marie & Steve, Leeds.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple