We stayed at this hotel for 11 nights with our two children (11 and 10 yrs old).
It has lots of good points, including:
- really lovely, well-kept gardens that wind their way down the sea;
- a really lovely breach (deep golden sand and clear water);
- a really energetic and enthusiastic entertainment team, with high quality dancers performing at the evening shows (far, far better than we have experienced at any comparable hotel);
- pretty spacious rooms that are nicely furnished;
- chefs who are very helpful those on special diets (our son is gluten, dairy and soya free, but chefs Hassan and Lassaad were both happy to take us round and point out what he could eat and what he could not);
- good food (in particular the meats barbequed outside in the evening) - it was very noticeable that the top chefs take perosanla respoinsibilyt for copoking ;
- good cleanliness of public areas (including regular cleaning of public toilets - Gatwick (eugh) should send people over to learn how to do it);
- good maintenance levels (a workman doing painting insisted on fixing a broken door stop the instant we pointed it out to him after it had hurt our daughter's foot); and
- good location (one of the first stops from the airport as you approach Hammamet as it is further south that most of the hotels, but still very cheap to get into town by taxi).
As with any 4 star hotel there are always things that could and should be improved, including:
- the hotel needs to employ at least three more waiters in the main restaurant to clear tables and serve drinks much, much quicker (the Magic Life in Djerba has the same problem but here it seemed slightly worse; the staff work hard, there are just not enough of them, so this is a management issue not a poor employee issue);
-some staff need to be re-educated about food hygiene (we saw a baguette dropped on the floor and then added back to the bread basket, for example);
- they should try a bit harder to keep birds out of the dining room; and
- reception (whilst extremely helpful sometimes) can take an annoying "not my problem" approach (e.g. if you lose money due to broken machines in the games room they will say "it's privately operated, nothing to do with us", even though the room is in the hotel and there's no sign to tell you this).
Whilst the hotel does have a large number of Austrian and German guests, there are many nationalities present (Tunisian, Algerian, Dutch, French, British etc) and everyone is catered for. Amy (the sole British member of the entertainment team) did a really great job of looking after the British guests, but her colleagues were equally welcoming and warm, and the Thomson rep Lorraine looked after us very well too.
If you have not been before, Ej Jem is a really magnificent Roman amphitheatre and well worth a visit (even our children said they wished we'd had longer there). Also the £4 each way taxi trip to the old medina in Hammamet-north is a bargain, as the ribat, medina and souk are well worth exploring.
Would we go back? Yes, we would. It is good value for money - a very solid, comfortably 4*, holiday hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfect holidays for families. The club is located close to Hammamet. From here it is just a short 'shuttle-jump' to the two golf courses around 15km from the Club. The golf clubs offer fairways and greens in olive groves, tree lined hills and cliff landscapes. The star architect, Ronald W. Fream, has come up with some fantastic ideas for you.This club is an enchanting resort with large gardens in a setting of 50,000m². There is one main Hotel with a number of apartments with a total of 321 rooms. It is situated at the seafront and approx. 65km from Tunis airport and 80km from Monastir Airport, 15km from the centre of Hammamet and approx. 25km from Nabeul. Transfer time: approx. 1 hour to Tunis and 90 minutes to Monastir. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cancelon, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tui Magic Life Africana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Magic Life Africana Imperial Hotel Hammamet
- Magic Life Africana Imperial Hammamet