“Tunisia- best hotel to stay in!!”

Tui Magic Life Africana
Ranked #10 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed May 13, 2013

we stayed for a week with friends, and club magic life never disappointed us! We arrived to hotel at around mid-day, straight to our hotel room, which was immaculate, cant fault it at all! we had a side room but we still had a sea view which was a bonus. We met out maid on arrival too and she was lovely, she often left us towel art- I.e swans, hearts etc.
Swimming pools, activity and quiet were brilliantly kept and the gardens. if you couldn't find a sun lounger or were one short staff were more than happy to fetch you one and bring it over. Though one point the usual 'germans' had put their towels over them at the crack of dawn, but we always got some in the end, at the activity pool you had what they call a radio station, that kept you informed of all activities happening, and played mainly songs all day, but at the quiet pool, you could hardly hear this and no-one bothered you.
The beach was so clean and tidy, and also the water sports that are included are a bonus, and great fun for all. There is security too that makes sure any beach vendors don't hassle you, but I never saw them hassle anyone. There are camels and horses too that you do have to pay extra to have a ride along the beach.
The food, was always fantastic! in the main buffet they would have themed nights, which was nice, always salads, cold meats, etc something for everyone, and plenty of deserts inc ice-cream, the breads are also fantastic, so fresh!
Snack bar was good too though the burgers never looked 'great' one of our party tried this and had an upset stomach, though it didn't last long, maybe stay clear of the burgers, everything else there was fine to eat. the beach bar/ sandwich bar was good, again though the meats aren't like home but they tasted great. We only tried the Thai al a carte restaurant, it was for our friends birthday, after speaking with our rep she had arranged a cake, which made the night for our friend. the food was brilliant, we couldn't fault it.
Cocktails are also included, and they have a cocktail hour before dinner which is nice. The evening entertainment is a little low key but they do put shows on at night at 9.30, followed by going onto the captains bar for music and then the night club, we did go to a couple of shows, but were quite happy sat in the lobby/ golf bar, there's also unlimited Wi-Fi in the lobby area.
All staff were helpful and so friendly, they really couldn't do enough for you. one member is allergic to chocolate and the head chef was always there to point out which deserts she could/ couldn't eat and tried making sure there was always a good selection for her, which was a nice touch.
the hotel shop didn't stock a great deal of items you may need, so take plenty of meds, suncream etc and is hard to come across that sort of thing in the town too, but they did sell plenty of souvenirs.
There is also a guy selling quad bike tours, who does pounce on you on your first day, but I would recommend it. we did it as the four of us, and had a whale of time and great way to see the scenery.
The town its self is safe to walk around, and the Medina is great fun, but be pre-pared to haggle your prices down and really do start low, its amazing how low you get the stuff for, also everyone wants you to look in their shop/stall, but remember this is their way of making a living, we went out twice as we loved it that much!
There is so many nice little, quirks about this hotel, which I wont spoil, as your discover by yourselves, we had a ball of a time, and we will be back, great, clean, amazing place, just sad it had to end!
one downfall- which isn't the hotels but maybe a little heads up- if the temps between 25-35c the mozzies are out in force and will eat you alive! take plenty of bug spray!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank sssarah06

Reviewed May 13, 2013

On arrival met by the Assistant Manager welcoming our family to the hotel, first impressions were excellent, clean tidy hotel and friendly staff. Our double family room was ready for when we arrived at 10 and looked beautiful, clean tidy and of course swan towels and petals on the beds for that extra wow factor, kids loved that!

There was so much choice for activities, our kids were not too keen on the kids club as not too many other British kids.

The main restaurant had a wide variety of food, breakfast and lunch was pretty much the same every day but they had themed evenings with different foods, the flaming baked alaska they marched around the restaurant above their heads was impressive!

The Thai restaurant was dissapointing, i think they need to review this as nothing we ordered was actually how it should be. It was still edibile and not a bad dish, just not what we expected.

We spent most of our days relaxing by the pool, they try to get you to do things like water polo, fun games etc, best thing to watch out for if you like a laugh is Marcello getting into the pool for water aerobics, hilarious!

There is evening entertainment, however the kids were so tired we often just admired the view from the balcony. I went down to the 24 hour bar and the Barman would ask where the family were, i said asleep, he gave a whole bottle of wine for me to take back to the room, i tipped him then the rest of the holidy he gave a bottle or 2 for us every night!

We really enjoyed our stay here and would definantly recommed this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Andy H
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The hotel and staff were all friendly and helpful. It is worth to pay the extra for a room with a view, we had room 910, the view was amazing. The rooms were very spacious, adn kept impeccably clean as was all of the hotel including the toilets which for me is very important.
Due to its location this hotel and resort is perfect for relaxing, and just chilling,we walked int the nearest town, but once you have seen a few tourist shops youve seen them all. Yes you have to haggle, in my opinion, decide what you want to pay in english, translate into dinar, and you know where you stand. I got a mezze set which started out at 85 dinar, and got it for 20 (about £8).
The water sports (which are free part of your hotel charges) made it easy to just go whenever you please. They also run a windsurfing/sailing/cat course which if your into is worth it.
I will admit that im not sure how they would cope at full capacity, as the beach frontage is quite small and the pools average in size. The beach was very clean even with the camels and horses walking along it, compared to other stretches where i heard it wasnt so good.The security from the hotel stopped anybody from hasseling you whilst you sunbathed, if you were interested in what they were selling you went down to them.
The food was a little repetitive, but i see this a good point cos once you found something you like you know you can rely on it again.They offer a tour of their kitchen, which as i am in catering was astounded, they obviously feel they have nothing to hide, the head chef was often walking around during service times and talking to guest and the staff also ate at times in the main dining hall, which i felt was a nice touch.
yes there were quite a few german/austrian guests, but as the week went on we found more fellow brits.
We werent that bothered by the entertainment, but everyone said it was good for a laugh! we joined in on the quiz which was a good giggle.
I would reccommend this hotel def, especially if your criteria is relaxing, family orientated with say 5-10 year olds. and if you want to use the facilites they are there, mostly without charge! IMPORTANT NOTE. The shop in the hotel is VERY LIMITED, so please make sure you pack your creams, potions and lotions before going away,if like me you are a tea drinker, pack some tea bags, and the bar/waiting staff will happily supply you with uht bottled milk.

Room Tip: sea view or poll view a must!!
7  Thank Lorraine W
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week at the Club Magic Life Africana and we had a wonderful holiday.The rooms were clean and spacious and the towels were changed everyday.We dined in all of the restaurants and found them all really good the food quality and quantity were excellent.We also found the head chef friendly and approchable.We found all of the staff very friendly and nothing was too much for them.The only downside was at night there was not much to do. We have been to the Magic Life in Egypt many times but for food quality this is just as good.

Caroline & Derek Edinburgh

Room Tip: Room 144. Handy for poolside and restaurants.
4  Thank caroline m
Reviewed May 11, 2013

When you are making a short dash to the sun you want a relaxing, hassle - free experience and that was what our week long break in Africana provided. After a punctual 3 hours 30 minute flight into the modern efficient Enfidha airport we had a 20 minute transfer to the hotel.Our bags were taken up to our room, which was on the third floor with a balcony giving a side view to the sea. The room (3004) is large with lots of storage, safe, flatscreen TV, sofa. Like the rest of the hotel it was immaculately clean - the friendly housekeeping staff do a tremendous job. The managerial staff are highly visible and approachable - Meike Mahmoud, the Assistant Manager seems ever present and when I drew her attention to a problem with the gym equipment one evening the technical team had it sorted by the next morning. The grounds are exceptionally well tended so you can sun bathe by a pool, or in the garden or on the beach. The restaurant is a rather large noisy space. The food is varied - I especially liked the breakfast selection crepes or omelettes or a plate of fresh fruit with delicious local dates. Tried only one of the three a l a carte restaurants (Mai Thai) but apart from the fact that wine was better and it was quieter I agree with others that the food choice in the main restaurant meant we did not bother to book a table at the others.

We particularly wanted to go to the amphitheatre in El Jem so we booked the Legends of Tunisia excursion. We left at 8 am and went first to the archaelogical museum with wonderful mosaics and excavations of houses and then to the amphitheatre which is particularly affecting when you walk through the extensive underground chambers where the people and animals were held before being forced up the steps into the arena. After a refreshing glass of lemon and almond in a nearby cafe we were back on the bus by noon. sadly things went downhill from there - we drove to Sousse to have an inspid lunch in an unattractive side street restaurant and then we were transported to the far from legendary marina at Port el Kantaoui, with its replica Pirates of the Caribbean party boats. The advertised itinerary in the First Choce / Thomson brochure showed we were supposed to go to Monastir to see the golden dome and the ribat- but without any explanation we went nowhere near them and we arrived back at the hotel at 5pm feeling the afternoon had been frittered away and somewhat short changed.

However none of this was the fault of the hotel, where we had a super relaxing time, attended by friendly professional staff in a lovely climate.

Room Tip: Rooms at then far end of the hotel are large but may face the hotel opposite, with a side view to th...
3  Thank Anster
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I spent a week 1/5/13, at the Club Magic Life, for a relaxing holiday. We have returned much more tired than we were when we arrived.

Firstly a warning.... the porters at the airport are nothing to do with Thompson. The rep asked us what flight we had come in on and which hotel we were staying at and before we could pick up our bags, the porter had got them and was off to the bus. My husband is a very keen weightlifter and is perfectly capable of carrying our bags. We said we were fine, but the porter wouldn't put them down and off he went. At the bus he then went on to demand '10 pounds English' with his hand out......he didn't get anything neeldless to say.

Our room, number 138, was on the ground floor at the junction of the internal communal gardens, the maintenance mans room, the maids stock cupboard and 3 other corridors leading to the 24 hour bar, the pool and other guests rooms.

The first and second mornings we were woken at 8.10am to horrendous banging in the room next door. Followed by hammering and smashing of bathroom tiles. This went on until 9.30am. I tried to ring guest services but there was no answer on either number. On the second day of this we went down for breakfast and found the guest relations manager in the canteen. She was lovely and promised to have a word with maintenance, she apologised and said they sometimes don't think about what work they are carrying out.

When we got back to our room after spending the day at the beach, there was a basket of fruit and a bottle of red wine, I presume by way of apology but there was no note, so I can't be sure.

The third and forth mornings we were woken at 7.05am by what sounded like 10 maids standing chattering loudly and filling up their trollies in the corridor right outside our door. I actually had to go out and tap my wrist and Shhhh them. I know that's not polite but I don't know the Arabic for "Do you know what bloody time it is?" It didn't work as they were back the next morning just as loud.

The beach is lovely, sand like powder and the sea is turquoise in places. You could be in the Caribbean. There is secuirty to keep away the locals trying to get you on a camel ride. You can watch people doing the water sports and paragliding. Just amazing. If you dont like the beach, stay at the relax pool. Its much quieter than the main pool. No one interrupting your reading or snoozing in the sun.

The main pool is noisy and crowded. There are too many entertainment staff interrupting you, mithering you to join in with the activities. One called me lazy because I said I didn't want to play water polo with 10 Russian men!! The other activities consist of relay races, bursting balloons between your chests with strangers and shouting your team name as loud as you can while someone that sounds like Sporticus from CBeebies sings Vanilla Ice songs from the 80's down the microphone.

Also at 9.30am, 12noon and 3pm. They play the hotel Jingle as loud as possible, which becomes VERY VERY tidious. You can't hear it at the beach.

We were asked every single day if we wanted to go quad biking, sometimes by the same man. Avoid the photographer unless you want a holiday shoot.

The food......

The buffet restaurant is perfectly nice but repetitive. There are too many salads. Who wants peas mixed with strawberry or lettuce and orange segments? Very bizarre.

The burgers or 'sandwiches' are the worst thing I have ever attempted to eat. A crusty bread barm (or bap if you're from the south ;) with its insides removed, filled with watery coleslaw, dripping in mayonaise, a slice of tomato and a burger of God only knows what animal stuffed inside. It's the consistency of chicken, looks like pork, shaped like beef and tastes like.....I'm going to stop there.

We ate in all the al a cart restaurants, the Mediterranean is by far the best. The Tunisian is awful and the Thai is virtually inedible. I ordered a Thai beef salad. What I got was 3 lettuce leaves arranged outwardly pointing on my plate, 1/2 a cherry tomato on each for decoration, with cold cuts of the left over roast beef joint from the buffet restaurant the night before. It was dry, tough and as far away from Thai fusion cooking as I have ever seen.

The head chef walked in so i grabbed him and he asked me what I thought of the food at his hotel. When I began to explain what was wrong, he interupted me whilst i was speaking, put his hand on my shoulder and walked away. Not a nice man.

I wouldn't go again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MrsKirbs
Reviewed April 24, 2013

great hotel and staff, just been in april 2013. the staff very helpful and friendly. the food was great and a lot of variety. the rooms very spacious and clean. spent 4 days there and loved the place, will go again and fully recommend this place. lots of activities and enought to do if u want to. entertainment was great in the evening as well. Spar was lovely as well and clean

Room Tip: go for sea view or pool view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple