“FANTASTIC!”

Ranked #105 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
exmouth
“FANTASTIC!”
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I've read alot of bad reviews for this hotel and believe them ALL to be WRONG! This was a great hotel and all the staff were friendly and had a laugh with you. We went half board and the food was really nice, The pool was open all night and they even brought us wine to drink in the pool at night. The holiday makers were from all over the world and we made a few friends from Germany and England. The bed was decorated differently everyday and everything was clean. We even played water polo with the staff and their was a photographer that took and sold pictures thoughout your stay there, He didnt hassel you to buy them either. The staff were exceptionally good when we realised we didnt have a travel adaptor, They made one for us!! The Bar man made jokes with us and gave us free cigarettes. I highly recommend 'The view' bar along the parade, They are really friendly and speak good english, We even did some drunken karaoke and a shisha pipe!

Go and have some fun!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smiffy660

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
England
Reviewed October 23, 2009

What a horrible horrible place! Dirty, grotty, dark, awful food, michael jackson album on repeat at the pool- ALWAYS, broken aircon, doors that don't lock, and much more.

Please don;t stay there!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Shadow212

Travelers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Cambridge
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Don't be fooled by the brochure this did not leave up to expectations.

• Half-board but no complimentary drinks were available, including water so I got dehydrated and sick.
• Loud music from 8.00am in the morning.
• Hotel staff tried to charge us for food, even though we were half-board!
• All beauty treatments closed – the hotel was like a ghost hotel, or worse that horrible one from The Shining.
• Entire holiday was a shambles, hotel dated, staff were rude and the food was gross.
• We had no transport to and from the hotel, even though we paid for it.
• Entertainment was poor.
• Have to pay extra $ for safe.
• Prepared to be harassed, even when you are at the hotel. Hotel staff allow people to sell to you at the pool.
• Tampons in the sea- pretty gross.
• No nice food, anywhere.

Just don’t go there. Seriously.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KatiegCambridge
London
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I am a young single man and have visited Tunisia several times over the last ten years, and have stayed at many different hotels. This was my first stay at the Mechmoum, and I have been moved to write after reading some of the other negative reviews. I thought that the hotel and all the staff, as well as the food served in the hotel restaurant was wonderful! The rooms and public areas were very clean too. It is true that there weren't many other British staying there, but that is because this hotel isn't featured in many brochures. I booked via Olympic Holidays. Would I stay at the Mechmoum again? You bet!

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — No sea views
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Cityboy1968
London
Reviewed October 13, 2008

Hi
having returned last nite 13/09/2008 from my 7th trip to Tunisa, needless to say you either love the country and the people or you dont , i just happen to love the people and the sun of course hehe

This was my first and i have to say last trip to this particular hotel, as the one i normally stay in was going to shut for the winter at the end of my first week there so i had to choose another hotel, the one above unfortunatly :(

Firstly and important to me on my first week there were NO english people there at all !!!! and on my second week hey ho a single guy was booked in and he like me could not get in his normal hotel, hey ho

Like many other comments on here about this hotel it is defiatnly wrongly described as a 4 **** hotel this should be a 2 ** at the most, having said that it was clea\n and the rooms very spacious and the maids were good on a daily basis.

The biggest let down for me was the Resturant , yes we all know the buffett style set ups but this was quite frankly taking liberties with the word buffett !!!!

breakfast was great if you enjoyed scrambled eggs and flies each day no matter what time you went for it , the laetr you went the colder it was !!!!

evening meals were the same , no real choice and the food to be honest needs Jamie oliver there to give it a bit of a lift lol.

Ok so on a positive note, if it wasnt for some of the brilliant staff both in the bar and the reception who could not do enough for you then it would have been really grim and i do mean that.

Also i did happen to meet some really nice people there who can now speak a bit of english and also i can speak a little of there language which was fun , they know who they are if they read this as we will i am sure keep in touch

ok enjoy the country as i do and yes i will return next year but NOT to this hotel , but i will call in and say hello to the brilliant staff

Hope this helps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not a hotel for the english as so few seem to book it mainly the Germans , Itilians and French

cheers
Dave in Kent

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank ukguy999
South Wales
Reviewed October 11, 2008

We checked in to the Mechmoum Hotel for our two week holiday at the end of September.
Before I continue with my review i'd like to let you know that we are very normal people, definately not stuck up and we are realistic when it comes to standards of accomodation in specific countries, especially those which have a poorer economy.
My partner and I have both travelled to far flung places, sometimes with little or no facilities, we have back-packed and stayed in some of the most horrendous hostels you can imagine and also stayed in some of the most amazing hotels ever. We are not the types who would complain about the smallest thing ie, there wasn't a spoon available, I waited 4 minutes for a waiter!
Anyway, we arrived late at night and were shown to our room by a lovely, polite man on reception. The room was clean and spacious but the bathroom, although seemingly clean, was immediately off putting....the tiles and taps were really badly stained and mouldy with grout missing all over the walls, the corners of the floor and ceiling were black and generally looked foul enough to not want to use the space atall.
We were tired, so we went to bed and asked for another room in the morning.
The new room was exactly the same in design....really spacious and airy, the bathroom was much better and the room was spotlessly clean. However, we booked this hotel as it was meant to be a 4 star and it definately isn't. It is very basic and I would say represents a 2 star / 3 at a push. The maids do a good job and change your towels and linen everyday if you want, the rooms are adequate and there is nothing really wrong with it but don't make a reservation to stay here under the 4 star illusion. The swimming pool is massive which is great and there is plenty of room to lounge but the music they play all day on full volume is bad, it's also the same music on repeat for about 7 hours, every single day.
The restaurant....is appalling! We were on a half board basis and it's a buffet style restaurant, which is totally fine but the food was constantly covered in flies, besides that it all tasted hideous!!!! Saying that, the food in the whole resort is hideous! There was little to tempt you and even my partners hardened stomach couldn't handle it. He was so ill he spent almost five days in bed, we hadn't eaten anywhere else so the hotel was definately the source. I became unwell too and we ended up not eating there atall for the rest of the holiday.
The beach is a 5 minute walk away from the hotel and the Mechmoum has it's own loungers and beach bar sectioned off there, the beach was nice.
This hotel is fine if your not expecting a nicer 4 star accomodation, but as it is advertised so, don't be misled.
As a whole, I really didn't like this place atall, again, we were expecting a 4 star hotel as advertised but were happy to make the most of what we had. It still didn't cut it though largely due to the fact the food was terrible....I can't be more honest in saying that it was the worst food I have ever had offered to me and this applies to the entire resort! Seriously, it's bad and the same in the few places there actually are to eat outside of your hotel.
We managed to find a British bar to eat at so we didn't starve ourselves.... i'm not a fan of British bars abroad because it defeats the object of going to another country and they are a bit cheesy, but I have never been so relieved to eat in one ever.
As for going to Tunisia for a holiday....I was really looking forward to it, exploring there and learning about the culture but there is nothing there! It's baron to say the least and it absolutely stinks of sewerage wherever you walk....and i've been to some pretty stinky places on purpose which smelt better.
I'm not sad to say that I will NEVER, ever return to the place, I love exploring and taking everything in but it was so awful! The people are lovely and kind and will do anything for you but I would still advise anyone to never go there.
I would never put anyone off going to another country, it almost seems rude to do so as it's important to go to as many alternate places as possible and decide for yourself but this is an exception. Don't go!!!!

• Liked — Not much atall
  • Disliked — Quite alot
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family