“Nice break for a week” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 123 Hotels in Hammamet
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice break for a week”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Just returned from a 7 day break from Tunisia staying at the iberostar Solaria. Really enjoyed the stay at this hotel. Hotel is in a perfect location in the Yasmin Hammamet area. Food selection is brilliant service is good. Was really disappointed with the request for an iron to iron my clothes which never came only to be told different excuses every time the last excuse was that one of the guest probably took it with them when leaving..... Hahahah that was quite funny. We ended up paying the house keeping to iron the clothes for us which I think is what they wanted us to do in the first place. That was the only down side to the stay apart from that it was a pleasant stay at this hotel. Beach was really nice and relaxing and loved the breeze from sea. When getting the yellow taxis in Tunisia MAKESURE you get them to put the meter on before going anywhere as this will save £££££££!!! And not getting stung as we did in the first day or so lol. Overall beautiful country and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms is a must!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ali-TheTourist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I am literally lost for words with this bizarre hotel/holiday...But i'll try anyway. I recently stayed at Solaria with my girlfriend for 7 days from the 26th June - 3 July. First of all we were greeted in the hotel after a 3 hour delay by...well we had no idea who he was. We were sat down and had some paper work pushed in our faces, we then waited a while and it had become clear that our room was not ready (which considering we arrived at 2pm and was meant to at 9am is quite ridiculous) When asking about our rooms we were told to go to "go to lunch first", considering our long frustrating day we quickly refused.

Having said immediately after that we were taken straight to our room, which was clean, large with a good shower and okay balcony with a partial sea view. The maid throughout the holiday was exceptional and the rooms were cleaned everyday (despite the fact the rooms were meant to be cleaned every other day, which was very good).

Now for the fun part...The Animation team. As individuals the team are very funny people who generally will do as much as they can to help. However I feel the activities at the night time are 10 years behind everyone/everywhere else. Each night was themed and were on some occasions very very bad. Partly because of the activities and partly because no body could be bothered to get involved. Which of course meant that me and my girlfriend and a couple we spent some time with were dragged up most of the nights. (If you watch crime watch you should recognize someone from the team.) Finally the day time activities aren't great, literally just bowls and archery...oh and water aerobics....just don't do it to your self. Watching people flail around in the water to Gangam style whilst amusing isn't exactly exciting.

But again the team are nice people who are accommodating and good guys, as the drinks stopped early and so did the night entertainment the team took us to a local night club which was very good of them considering they looked after my girlfriend and pulled her off the dance floor when they thought she was getting funny looks from locals.They tried there best to make it fun.

The top pool is very good/relaxing with brilliant life guard who will find you beds when ever.
The food is not for everyone however our waiter Hechmi was amazing, very friendly.
The alcohol is not great, beer diluted, I think one night me and my friend almost consumed 12 glasses with no results.

All in all very good staff, very good pool, Average food, and good location with good private beach.

TIP AND BUY NOTHING INCLUDING EXCURSIONS THROUGH THE HOTEL..GO ELSEWHERE AND GET MOST THINGS HALF PRICED.

ARCHERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY (are the shouts heard as the team circle the pool, searching for victims)

Good day

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We spent a week at this hotel with our 2 teenage boys. We went all inclusive the first time ever. This type of holiday is ideal for teenagers as they can eat and drink as much as they like. I would say the quality of the food was not always high but it was ok. The staff in the hotel were lovely very friendly but I think if you have teenage girls you may want to take care as they were over familiar. The hotel was clean and the amenities were good. I had a massage and found the receptionist not at all helpful. We booked out free hamman treatment after the massage but they were obvioulsy running late so instead of being able to have it with our children the massage time ran over and so we missed them. It was all a bit haphazard. Plus there was no consultation or checking for contraindications which did worry me slightly. We booked with Thomas Cook and the rep was pleasant if not much use. The orientation meeting was more about selling trips then anything else. Make sure you have pleanty of change for the tips as this can add up. When you arrive you will be met by 'porters' who will take your luggage to the bus they expect a tip, make sure you have either a euro or a £1 otherwise they will ask for notes! They offer lots of activities during the day archery boules aqua areobics and there is a private beach where you don't have to pay for sun beds all really good. This was our first trip to Tunisia and I would go again. The resort of Yasmin Hammamet is very new and a bit plastic go to the old town much better and some really lovely restaurants. The old medina there is worth a visit but be worned the traders will do their best to part you from your money. The pottery is good, the carpets fab but whatever they tell you about the carpets be careful they will say they can ship it but this would be to an air port not your address. Also what ever they charge you will need to add 20% VAT when it comes into the country.

Room Tip: The room we had over looked the pool but at night there was a night club so it was noisy we had room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sue7662
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a fantastic 2week holiday at the iberostar solaria. All the staff were brilliant as my father in law was in a wheel chair, and they couldn't do enough to help. The entertainment staff were absolute stars,they made the holiday I can't thank them enough a great team ( Ronaldo,Sam,Issam,bob,Sophia,momo,anissa.) I loved archery with momo,me and my partner done aqua fit with Sam which was real fun. We will be going back as cant fault the hotel,we made lots of friends who are going back to.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kia222
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Hi I stayed here for 2weeks just home today all the entertainment team are excellent the ones that stood out more were momo sam bobo isami I took my disabled father they were always help me push him and included him to play some games overall they are all great with recommend this hotel and going to look and going back next year x

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Kerry267
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Costumer service - Mixed feelings

Most staff were great! I'd say very friendly however the staff selling the SPA & Excursions packages are very rude!! After not taking upon there offer there attitude towards us had changed! making it very awkward also one of the reception staff was very dismissive towards me. I'd been sold a safe on a deposit of 20dinars and after checking out I tried to receive my 20dinars back and he told for the first time that i'd be charged something like 3dinars each night of my stay so I basically wasn't getting my deposit back and I explained to him he hadn't sold me the safe properly. He was on his own mobile phone at the same time when giving me the the safe key and code!

The Animation team where very friendly towards the start of our stay but near towards the end this changed! While having dinner we were all given cards to fill out to review 'Iberostar Solaria'
and my girlfriend had given the animation team a score of 'Good' and one of the animation staff came up leering over my girlfriends card to see what she had put down and asked her to change it and explain herself for not scoring a very good. This was very intimidating.

Room: Good

Room was kept tidy everyday, one small problem the bath itself could of been in better condition.

Food: Average

The food was average mostly just european dishes on our last they served tunisian food and it was excellent and I just wish they had this more throughout our stay! I'd say the pasta station wasn't very hygienic and not very good if you have allergies. There would be a choice of two pasta sauces and a choice of toppings. So the cook would pop your pasta onto a pan and cook away and this is the bit that worried me he would use the same pan that was used before yourself so you could be getting bits of food that you didn't want.

The hotel pool area was lovely, kept very clean and had a great bar with brilliant service! The animation team would have music organised some of the playlists were relaxing some not very appropriate for the pool side. There was darts, a table tenis table and a tennis court.

Night time at hotel... well there's a bar so you can go there and also a club across the road. If your not into either of you's well theres not much else. You could take a walk up to the madina but be prepared to get hassled I can't stress how bad it is!!

ps. The beach is far from clean!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JonathanBrown1992
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

So myself and my girlfriend embarked on our first holiday and chose to stay in the iberostar solaria after hearing good reviews and comments. First of all, I cannot rate the staff enough in this particular hotel. Perhaps always after a tip however there attitude is superb. Overall, hotel was clean tidy and neat with a fairly good layout. The food was good, for the first day or so and then became incredibly boring and lacking any kind of flavour. We proceeded to eat out on nearly every night not being able to face the tasteless food. The pool area and beach are clean, tidy and well kept, maintained by the lifeguard staff. We thoroughly enjoyed relaxing by the pool. However getting constantly pestered by the 'animation team' started to become extremely annoying. My girlfriend and myself are athletes back home and explained to these guys that our idea of a holiday was to relax. They still however would ask us 10 times a day if we would participate in sports or watch their famous "show" which I strongly recommend you give a miss. The spa and excursion salesmen within the hotel are also very rude if you do not uptake their "fantastic" offers. I felt on edge throughout this holiday and learnt that everything within this hotel and outside is not free and almost everyone is trying to get your money some way or another. Our air conditioning did not work for the entirety of the stay despite my conversations with the hotel staff on 4 occasions. A member of staff called hamoubi on the front desk was extremely rude and ignorant was not bothered in the slightest by our discomfort at sleeping in 30 degrees plus. Don't get me wrong the holiday was enjoyable and we thought most staff were friendly and kind. The rubbish around the hotel and outside is disgusting. it is literally everywhere! The general feel was that this hotel should be 3* and does no where near match the 4* and 5* accommodation we have stayed in before.

• Stayed June 2013