“Family Holiday”

Ranked #12 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
“Family Holiday”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We spent a week at this hotel with our 2 teenage boys. We went all inclusive the first time ever. This type of holiday is ideal for teenagers as they can eat and drink as much as they like. I would say the quality of the food was not always high but it was ok. The staff in the hotel were lovely very friendly but I think if you have teenage girls you may want to take care as they were over familiar. The hotel was clean and the amenities were good. I had a massage and found the receptionist not at all helpful. We booked out free hamman treatment after the massage but they were obvioulsy running late so instead of being able to have it with our children the massage time ran over and so we missed them. It was all a bit haphazard. Plus there was no consultation or checking for contraindications which did worry me slightly. We booked with Thomas Cook and the rep was pleasant if not much use. The orientation meeting was more about selling trips then anything else. Make sure you have pleanty of change for the tips as this can add up. When you arrive you will be met by 'porters' who will take your luggage to the bus they expect a tip, make sure you have either a euro or a £1 otherwise they will ask for notes! They offer lots of activities during the day archery boules aqua areobics and there is a private beach where you don't have to pay for sun beds all really good. This was our first trip to Tunisia and I would go again. The resort of Yasmin Hammamet is very new and a bit plastic go to the old town much better and some really lovely restaurants. The old medina there is worth a visit but be worned the traders will do their best to part you from your money. The pottery is good, the carpets fab but whatever they tell you about the carpets be careful they will say they can ship it but this would be to an air port not your address. Also what ever they charge you will need to add 20% VAT when it comes into the country.

Room Tip: The room we had over looked the pool but at night there was a night club so it was noisy we had room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sue7662

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a fantastic 2week holiday at the iberostar solaria. All the staff were brilliant as my father in law was in a wheel chair, and they couldn't do enough to help. The entertainment staff were absolute stars,they made the holiday I can't thank them enough a great team ( Ronaldo,Sam,Issam,bob,Sophia,momo,anissa.) I loved archery with momo,me and my partner done aqua fit with Sam which was real fun. We will be going back as cant fault the hotel,we made lots of friends who are going back to.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kia222
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Hi I stayed here for 2weeks just home today all the entertainment team are excellent the ones that stood out more were momo sam bobo isami I took my disabled father they were always help me push him and included him to play some games overall they are all great with recommend this hotel and going to look and going back next year x

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Kerry267
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Costumer service - Mixed feelings

Most staff were great! I'd say very friendly however the staff selling the SPA & Excursions packages are very rude!! After not taking upon there offer there attitude towards us had changed! making it very awkward also one of the reception staff was very dismissive towards me. I'd been sold a safe on a deposit of 20dinars and after checking out I tried to receive my 20dinars back and he told for the first time that i'd be charged something like 3dinars each night of my stay so I basically wasn't getting my deposit back and I explained to him he hadn't sold me the safe properly. He was on his own mobile phone at the same time when giving me the the safe key and code!

The Animation team where very friendly towards the start of our stay but near towards the end this changed! While having dinner we were all given cards to fill out to review 'Iberostar Solaria'
and my girlfriend had given the animation team a score of 'Good' and one of the animation staff came up leering over my girlfriends card to see what she had put down and asked her to change it and explain herself for not scoring a very good. This was very intimidating.

Room: Good

Room was kept tidy everyday, one small problem the bath itself could of been in better condition.

Food: Average

The food was average mostly just european dishes on our last they served tunisian food and it was excellent and I just wish they had this more throughout our stay! I'd say the pasta station wasn't very hygienic and not very good if you have allergies. There would be a choice of two pasta sauces and a choice of toppings. So the cook would pop your pasta onto a pan and cook away and this is the bit that worried me he would use the same pan that was used before yourself so you could be getting bits of food that you didn't want.

The hotel pool area was lovely, kept very clean and had a great bar with brilliant service! The animation team would have music organised some of the playlists were relaxing some not very appropriate for the pool side. There was darts, a table tenis table and a tennis court.

Night time at hotel... well there's a bar so you can go there and also a club across the road. If your not into either of you's well theres not much else. You could take a walk up to the madina but be prepared to get hassled I can't stress how bad it is!!

ps. The beach is far from clean!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JonathanBrown1992
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

So myself and my girlfriend embarked on our first holiday and chose to stay in the iberostar solaria after hearing good reviews and comments. First of all, I cannot rate the staff enough in this particular hotel. Perhaps always after a tip however there attitude is superb. Overall, hotel was clean tidy and neat with a fairly good layout. The food was good, for the first day or so and then became incredibly boring and lacking any kind of flavour. We proceeded to eat out on nearly every night not being able to face the tasteless food. The pool area and beach are clean, tidy and well kept, maintained by the lifeguard staff. We thoroughly enjoyed relaxing by the pool. However getting constantly pestered by the 'animation team' started to become extremely annoying. My girlfriend and myself are athletes back home and explained to these guys that our idea of a holiday was to relax. They still however would ask us 10 times a day if we would participate in sports or watch their famous "show" which I strongly recommend you give a miss. The spa and excursion salesmen within the hotel are also very rude if you do not uptake their "fantastic" offers. I felt on edge throughout this holiday and learnt that everything within this hotel and outside is not free and almost everyone is trying to get your money some way or another. Our air conditioning did not work for the entirety of the stay despite my conversations with the hotel staff on 4 occasions. A member of staff called hamoubi on the front desk was extremely rude and ignorant was not bothered in the slightest by our discomfort at sleeping in 30 degrees plus. Don't get me wrong the holiday was enjoyable and we thought most staff were friendly and kind. The rubbish around the hotel and outside is disgusting. it is literally everywhere! The general feel was that this hotel should be 3* and does no where near match the 4* and 5* accommodation we have stayed in before.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Chridley1
Bromley, Kent
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The staff were welcoming and friendly. The food was good although the food served in the chaffing dishes and under the lights was always cold. There is a microwave but I tended to stick to the hot food in the bain maries. The rooms were adequate and clean. I was a bit disappointed with the hotel in general as I was expecting the usual Iberostar 5* opulence and luxury, this was 3* at best.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Medina Solaria & Thalasso, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
First of all we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our IBEROSTAR Solaria hotel for your holidays and for taking the time to write your impressions about your stay as it is our best way to know where we can still improve in our daily services in order to deliver unforgettable vacation experiences to our guests.

We are sorry to read your disappointment regarding our hotel and for not meeting all your expectations of a 5 star establishment as we do our best to offer splendid holidays to our guests offering delights for their palates with local and international culinary highlights, comfortable and tasteful accommodations, attractive surrounding areas and client orientation and satisfaction through a personalized and individual service.

This is why we are delighted to hear that you found our staff welcoming and friendly, the room adequate and clean and our gastronomy offer good enough.

Once again many thanks for this review and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back among us in the near future.

Kindest Regards,

Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We tried a week mid may 2013, after the first day of high winds and rain, weather was fantastic. All of the staff where very helpful, but as soon as I turned my back or left my partner, the male staff in restaurant and bar area where a little sleazy towards her. All reception staff couldn't do enough to help our every need. One person in particular our waiter we used all week malek. He was always friendly helpful and always smiling, he was never in appropriate, and nothing was a chore for him. My partner being a fussy eater, he always went to see the chef for anything she wanted. If you ever visit this hotel malek is the waiter to have. The hotel is very grand with a lovely lay out, superb pools. Our room was always clean, with clean bedding and towles. Mainly adults at the time of our visit, not really much there for kids. Really close to the medina and marina.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dale T
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Medina Solaria & Thalasso, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
We would like to express our gratitude for the comments you made about your stay at our IBEROSTAR Solaria hotel. It is always our goal to achieve maximum customer satisfaction and we are extremely happy to have been able to do so on this occasion.

Further, we are very satisfied that you are so enthusiastic about our prime pillars to offer a splendid stay to our guests. Service orientation and helpfulness of our staff, cleanliness of the in- and outside installations, gastronomical delights and nice accommodations are the most important elements of our company and reading that you found them all good fills us with joy and pride. We thank you for highlighting these aspects of your holiday as this motivates us to keep meeting our demanding quality standards.
We will definitely pass on your satisfaction to Malek and congratulate him, as he will be enchanted to be mentioned so positively in your review and to be part of the nice vacation memories that you two brought back home with you.
We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in our hotels,
Best Regards,