“Good hotel, Best entertainment!”

Medina Solaria & Thalasso
Ranked #14 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Back from a great holliday at Iberostar Solaria!

My parents and I have to say that it was a amazing holliday..

The hotel was looking good and clean, the rooms were also great, specialy the sea vew we liked alot..
The indoor and the pool outside were both very nice aswell..
Restaurant with good food, and alot of choices!
So, overall the hotel was good..

But the people who MADE our holliday that fantastic was deffnetly the Entertainers of the hotel! They are great! Working from early in the morning till late n the evening.. They are doing as much as they can to let the guets enjoy their hollidays.. For everyone there is something, several sport activities during the day and at night they got shows.. They are not only doing their job, but they do it also from their hearts. Most of them are also very intresting in how you are doing and what things you like to do, everything to make a perfect holliday for you...

We would go deffinetly back to this hotel, not only cause it´s a nice hotel but specialy for this great entertainment team!! We´ve been in many hotels in tunisia, and have seen many entertainers, but this group is great!!

We will miss you guys! See you soon!

Room Tip: Sea few is very nice!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rachel B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,078)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

As a muslim, I knew it would be difficult to go on a beach holiday without the obvious issue of naked women etc. But the time I went was near perfect. I had the best holiday and time and my family enjoyed it too. I had my and two kids (3 and a half year boy and 7 month daughter).

The perfect family holiday, well worth the price. Hotel, staff, food, private beach, nearby theme park, the list goes on. I had the best quad bike experience in my life as I had many in UK. I thoroughly enjoyed the awesome sea and a massage at the hotel. Camel rides every time I could with my little one and even my wife. Fun fun fun! I went to visit the capital city and the blue town of sidi boosaid or something. I visited the old mosque of Zaytoon and Prayed there. I bought some shopping for the families back in London. The theme park is a bit childish but ok for family. The pirate ship was not really for me but I got the staff to reserve the upper deck for my family so that we could stay away from people. I just lied down and sun bathed while my family enjoyed the cruise but not the music or light entertainment as we don't listen to music.

There is much to do like paragliding and the Islaamic city of al Kairawaan, DEFINATELY next time.

The hotel staff were really welcoming and were very noble with their hospitality.

I WILL DEFINATELY VISIT HAMMAAMAAT AGAIN AND STAY AT THE SAME PLACE AND ENCOURAGE MUSLIMS AND NON MUSLIMS ALIKE.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Aboooo
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I (in our late 50’s) got back from a one week All Inclusive holiday at the Iberostar last Friday and have the following comments that we hope are of use.
Location: It's actually located at Yasmine Hammamet which is a ‘purpose built’ area 7 miles out of Hammamet itself. The hotel is across the main road from the beach, so sea facing rooms do have traffic sound, which isn’t a problem after about 11. We stayed in Room 4046 which is next to the Presidential Suite with a sea view on the top floor. Nice position, but I think it could get a bit noisy if the place ever gets busy again as there’s a café directly below on the ground floor.
The Room: Nice bathroom with plenty of space in the room itself but no dressing table for my wife which was a bit awkward – for her anyway... Two massive single beds pushed together. We were about 6 feet apart! Plenty of storage cupboards. There is a safe in the room which we paid 20 dinars for when we booked in – ‘with half refunded when you return the key’. When we returned the key we were asked for another dinar and got nothing back… The patio door to the balcony couldn’t be locked and didn’t fit very well, so we got a fair bit of traffic noise in the day even with it shut, but security wasn’t a problem as we were on the 4th floor.
Reception: Not brilliant as the staff weren’t exactly fluent in English, but not many Brits seem to go there any more so English is a bit of a minority language. But we got by with a bit of patience on both sides.
The hotel grounds: Lovely big pool with a couple of levels and a slide for kids. Very deep in places so nice to swim in. The pool water was very cold though, so you couldn’t stay in long. Loads of loungers but everyone left their towels when they got there in the morning so kind of ‘booked them’ for the day. Having said that, we always managed to get one and the pool guy working there was very, very good at sorting you out. Towels were on hire for 10 dinars each at reception which was refunded when we took them back on our last day. In the main ‘courtyard’ of the hotel there is a big enclosed area that you could sit at if you wanted a bit more peace and quiet. There were tables and chairs scattered around so that was quite nice, though that’s where the smokers hung out. I didn’t see anyone smoking in the hotel though I’m not sure if it is actually ‘smoke free’.
Food and drink: Pretty good. As much food as you wanted for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main dining hall. There was a big buffet area with hot and cold food available – self service. At breakfast you could have eggs or omelette made to order with big trays of sausages/frankfurter types of sausage which I wasn’t keen on. Plenty of croissants, pancakes + lots of cold meats. Fruit juices weren’t fresh fruit and fruit was limited to oranges, melon and strawberries. We never actually ate lunch there as we were out quite a lot during the day, but when we got back we ate at the snack bar near the pool where they had some salads + a couple of hot dishes – chips, burgers and spaghetti usually. Dinner was a bit different in that there were waiters bringing your drinks orders. Every night there was some form of chicken, lamb and fish and various different hot dishes each night – some type of fried popcorn chicken one night and squid another, were the best. There were also wodges of sweet stuff and ice cream and salads.
There are 5 Iberostar hotels within a mile or so of each other and you could book a table at each one in a separate dining room for a set ‘speciality’ meal if you wanted a change. You needed to book at least 24 hours in advance at the snack bar after 11 in the morning. We did two – an ‘oriental’ meal at the Belisaire, which was grim and a ‘Mexican’ meal at the Chich Khan which was very nice. It also gave us a chance to have a look at the other hotels in the chain. The Chich Khan had a really nice feeling bar / lounge area which was a lot better than the bar in the Solaria, which was more a walkthrough area. Drinks with your speciality meal are free if you’re doing the ‘all inclusive’ option, but you need to pay for other drinks if you want any at the other hotels’ bars.
As regards drinks, they were great. All drinks were free at our designated hotel whenever we wanted them. The beer was Celtia. Loads of people seem to complain about it online, but I enjoyed every glass I had – and I really like beer. It’s pretty weak, but was consistently cold when I wanted one either by the pool or in the hotel bar or at dinner and I probably drank about two or three pints in total each day, so I never got a hangover. Wine was a bit blah, but you could also have whatever local spirits you wanted and they had a range of pre-mixed cocktails available ’on tap’.
Entertainment: The Animation team deal with this, but pretty much all we saw was the guys wandering around all day asking how people were… There appears to be one girl who takes care of the kids – and there weren’t many at this hotel - and she did a good job as we never saw any of them during the day! The evening entertainment was variable. We saw some broken glass bottle walking strongmen…, a sad duo of old guys, a shocking ‘comedy act’ by the Animation team, some traditional dancers (who were good) and I missed the karaoke one night. But the hotel really did appear to try to entertain people.
Outside the hotel: The beach is across the road. The Solaria has its own little bit which was a bit cramped really and there were a few fruit sellers / camel ride people who were a bit pushy, but they would leave you alone if you firmly said No Thank You.
Shopping: There is a ‘traditional’ Medina about 400 yards from the hotel which is staffed by people approaching from all angles. On our last day I bought a wallet there for about 12 Dinars and upset the guy selling it because I wouldn’t haggle but just named my price – so best to go through the motions. In the hotel shop we only went in once to buy some stamps and the lady who works there said she’d get change as we didn’t have the right money to pay for them. When she wandered off she suggested we had a look at the merchandise… She came back about 5 minutes later – with no change – and suggested that my wife look at the jewellery. My wife then saw 2 silver bracelets that she liked, tried them on and asked ‘how much?’ . The first price quoted was 185 Dinars – about £75. My wife immediately said no and reckoned to me that the one she really liked was worth about £10… To cut a long story short, we ended up paying 38 Dinars (which included the 3 Dinars we were owed for our stamps) for both necklaces. So we paid about £16, from a starting price of £75! Forget the guide books saying start haggling at about a third of the asking price. Think what would be a decent amount to pay, work up to that and don’t go over it! We were pleased at the end and so was the lady selling the necklaces – otherwise she would have said no! (Mind you, she scowled at me every time she saw me after that)!
Local Taxis: Bit mixed. We got a cab to Hammamet one day which cost 6 Dinars on the meter for a 7 mile trip. £1 will get you about 2.5 Dinars so that cost just over a couple of quid, which was fine, but when we got a cab to the Belisaire the night we ate there, the meter showed about half a Dinar and the cab driver asked for 5! It’s about a mile away! We got another cab back and he wanted 5 too, so it looks as if 5 Dinars is the minimum charge after dark, regardless of what’s on the meter…
Trips: Before we went, we decided to do the 2 day Sahara trip, but when we got to Tunisia we worked out that it was about a 700 mile round trip which started around 6 in the morning on one day and completed around 6 in the night the following day. So you’d be travelling 700 miles in 36 hours… So we abandoned that idea. Instead, we decided to book a cab for a day and visited the agency just outside the ‘front’ of the hotel which faces the beach. To get there go out from the reception area to the central courtyard and down the steps towards the beach. The agency is just on your right before the shops. There’s a really nice guy working in there. We ended up hiring a cab for 3 separate days. For each day, the cost was 60 Dinars for the car, 20 Dinars for the driver + cost of petrol + any tolls/parking. One day we went to Carthage – you need transport to get round there as there are a number of separate parts that you need to drive to - and Sidi Bou Said. Petrol for that day cost 25 Dinars at the start of the day - they fill up with you in the car - so with a tip at the end, it all cost about 120 Dinars – around £50. That trip covered about 120 miles. Another day we went to the Tunis Medina and the Bardo Museum, which is quite a long way out of Tunis. That was about the same distance and cost the same. We also had another day out to Dougga and returned via Thuburbo Majus which is another large Roman settlement. That was a couple of hundred miles round trip and this time the cost of petrol was 40 Dinars. So while the trips weren’t dirt cheap, we could go where and when we wanted for around 50 pounds/day in our own time. Hiring a car to drive was very expensive and you never seem to get enough time on organised trips so we were pleased with our taxi option. We left at 9 each morning and got back around 5ish.
As regards the places themselves, Carthage is very good. The baths are fantastic. We got trapped by a ‘local guide’ at the first stop who could barely speak English, but managed to get round the rest of the Carthage sites unhindered… Sidi Bou Said is a lovely place. There is a little museum/house that you can pay to visit on the main street and that’s well worth going into, as is the café that you find if you follow the main road around to the right. It’s got lovely views over the sea and was full of Tunisians on holiday..
Tunis Medina was mobbed and you really can’t see much while you are there as it’s a mass of enclosed shops – we couldn’t get into the mosques which was disappointing . A couple of the carpet shops there will let you go onto the roof where you can photograph the area – a guy took us to the one we visited (for a price). The Bardo museum is well worth a visit as the mosaics are spectacular, but an awful lot of it is shut or being worked on. We got into a part on the 1st floor that was locked, but one of the staff let us in for a couple of Dinar and we saw some beautiful carvings there, though we didn’t know what we were looking at. It would have been worthwhile getting a guide if we could have found one….
Dougga was the highlight of our trip though. Wonderful place. We did hire a local guide there for 20 Dinars + 5 Dinars tip at the end. She is a local woman who speaks perfect English. She took us around there for over two hours and really made a difference. Thuburbo Majus is also spectacular but we saw that alone.
One other archaeological place we visited is just outside Hammamet – it’s called Pupput. There are a few mosaics there but the place is pretty much grown over. OK if you need to kill an hour or so. We also visited the real Hammamet which has a nice little castle and is also a friendly town in its own right where you can walk around unhindered for the most part.

The End: The hotel provided everything we expected but 4 out of 5 from us as it wasn’t perfect – but it did a great job trying to be! The one bad part of the trip was provided by an English Company!!! We booked our transfers to and from Tunis Airport via bus from a company called medhotels.com (linked to HolidayTaxis.com I think) before we left. That cost £22.36 all-in which seemed very good value to us. Unfortunately it was chaos when we arrived at Tunis. The instructions provided were useless and we only found our bus by bumping into other Brits wandering round the airport, who were also looking for it. And the bus never turned up for the return journey! I’d never use this company again and wouldn’t recommend anyone else doing so.
But I would unreservedly recommend the Iberostar Solaria to anyone wishing to go to Tunisia!

Room Tip: Get a top floor room if you can (4th Floor).
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Welshperson
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I didn't have particularly high expectations of this holiday, having been to Tunisia previously and had some not very nice experiences. However I can say that this holiday was excellent. In particular my little daughter Ivy was treated like a queen by all the staff who fussed her and kissed her and generally were wonderful to her at all times! When she was poorly they all asked after her and reception were very helpful. She is normally a 'mummy's girl' but she let some of the staff carry her round. Without exception the staff were fabulous. When she got fussy in the restaurant they would make faces and noises at her so mum and dad could eat - didn't always work - but they tried! All staff were really brilliant and helped make our holiday special.
The hotel is beautifully maintained. Exceptionally clean. I was happy to let baby crawl around the floor in the morning as it was polished every day!
The food was excellent. Although I would have liked an earlier dinner time as baby was always so exhausted by 6.30. And it would have been nice to have an earlier breakfast, or somewhere to go get coffee before 7. The food was fresh and delicious and different every day. I loved the variety. I am vegetarian, my husband eats meat, and there was so much choice for us both. The deserts were really nice too. I don't normally bother with deserts abroad as I have a very picky sweet tooth. But these were fabulous, fresh cream and lots of chocolate. And always strawberries and Tunisian dates!
The beach was lovely. I did not see a single camel poop! It was lovely and peaceful. The pool was clean and lovely, and the pool animation team and lifeguard were charming. They popped over to say hi lots, but also left us to our own little family holiday, without nagging us to play games, which was nice!
Our room was a great size, with a nice big bed and was kept spotless by the maids. Our maid was lovely and friendly and made some really cool swans with Ivy's toys! She also made a big fuss of Ivy. Such children friendly people!
I don't know why people have anything bad to say about this hotel. It was very very good, and excellent value for the price!
Thankyou for a great holiday Solaria!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed with my two sons over Christmas, pool was filthy, beach was closed, entertainment poor and not much to do. Indoor pool was a salt bath, open just for an hour a day.Room was nice, food OK but ate out to get away from the fish and entrails on offer. Should have done to Egypt, won't be going back to Tunisia, it's a toilet.

Room Tip: Go to Egypt
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Waste of money and enegy it stinks its like a big rubbish dump no food no drink its all ment for the bin were it belongs couldn't go out nottink to do bars shut at 10 30 it was totaly crap all the men don't leave you alone and every 1 of them stunk to high heaven it was a total crap hole

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank jharris04
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Medina Solaria & Thalasso, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for leaving a comment on your recent stay in our Iberostar Solaria.

The restaurants at the Iberostar Solaria 5 stars hotel offer a selection of the best local and international recipes; this is why we are sorry to read that you could not enjoy the efforts of our cooks. It is our intention that guests can enjoy our passion for gastronomy which is one of the most important attractions of the Iberostar Hotels & Resorts.

Nevertheless, in the future we invite you to immediately inform us if something is not to your entire satisfaction or if we can help to make your stay with us even more enjoyable because we would then be able to offer a satisfactory solution.

Best Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
Iberostar Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed May 3, 2013

westayed here a couple of weeks ago.irst i would like to say what a wonderful hotel this is lovely big rooms and spotlessly clean.The staff are lovely friendly and can't do enough for you.The food is fresh if a little ltd, main course wise,but the salads and vegetables were great.A very special mention to Malek a waiter in the resturant he was exceptional he made the dining room a pleasure and is a credit to this hotel. We loved our stay here it was very relaxing.One more shout out for Sam in the animation team he is very underated he is charming friendly and very gentle and non pushy he always went out of his way to speak to you and help in any way thankyou to everyone

Room Tip: we stayed in room4017 sea view lovely room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple