“Another fine Riu hotel”

Ranked #22 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
Perth
“Another fine Riu hotel”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

This is the third Riu hotel we have stayed in and, again, it did not disappoint
From the moment we registered until the moment we left we were well looked after by all of the staff in this hotel. All were courteous, friendly and helpful
The rooms were spacious, well equipped and we had a great view of the pool and the sea beyond
Food was varied and of good quality with a broad choice of dishes at each meal. The oriental restaurant was also very good
The bar areas were relaxed but could get quite busy on occasion
The area around the pools had plenty of sunbeds available as did the beach. The pools were really good, one standard deep pool great for those wanting a proper swim and the large pool for various activities etc
The animation team were great, encouraging everyone to participate in all the activities but without being pushy. The evening shows were what you might expect but what the guys lacked in talent was made up for by their humour and enthusiasm
All in all we had a very enjoyable, relaxing break at this hotel and would recommend it to anyone

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Just returned from a week stay in the Riu Marillia with my friend.From the moment we arrived the service was fantastic,the staff were extremely friendly,the room exceeded our expectations and the food great.This is my first holiday to Tunisia and will certainly not be my last! We are looking to go back in june the 3hour flight also attracted me as I am not a fan of flying.The shop's are also great for a bargain,yes you do get hassled but a simple "No thank's" does the trick we all have to make a living!!!!!

Room Tip: Sea view's are spectacular!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sylvia W
Suffolk
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is our first experience of a RIU hotel and judging other reviews they have extremely high standards! Yes, they have just undergone a major refurb and there are some minor issues still to be completed i.e. around the lifts are not finished off but nothing major that would make us say we wouldn't return. It is a lovely hotel with hard working, friendly staff and extremely clean at all times. The pool area is huge and always with plenty of sunbeds/mattresses. The food was lovely - I'm quite a fussy eater and always found something to eat! The rooms are huge and again the cleaning staff are excellent. The Animation staff are very friendly even if you don't want to join in the activities and are certainly not pushy. The evening shows weren't really our cup of tea, seemed very strange at times (we felt they were perhaps a bit French biased, even though there is a really good mix of nationalities). Neil the Thomson rep is brilliant, a real laugh and always there to help - I don't know why some people feel otherwise, if we saw him around he always had time for a friendly chat. The only complaint about the hotel I would have is allowing smoking in the lobby area and inside bar. If the weather is poor then it can get very smoky and unpleasant. Several people were complaining about this so I hope RIU looks into this. Outside of the hotel I have a different attitude to Tunisia - travel out of Yasmine and it is dirty with rubbish everywhere. I know it is there culture but the constant hassling of the tourists to buy something gets quite wearing after a while and believe you me a polite "no thank you" 9 times out of 10 doesn't work! They think nothing of actually grabbing you to drag you in and can be quite rude and abusive if you don't play along. I would have been more inclined to look in their shops if we'd been left alone to browse! Sit in a bar or restaurant and you are constantly asked to buy flowers etc. Once ok, but then along comes another one! So would I return? We've had big discussions about this on the plane home and since returning - we're still undecided!!! Yes, the hotel and everything about it is lovely and if you're happy to stay on site everything is fine. I just don't know about returning to Tunisia itself - I try to embrace local culture wherever I go but this all felt a bit false to me. All this pretending to be nice to you (which in the hotel they genuinely are!) but actually outside all they are really after is your money and woe betide you if you don't part with any!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank keiraitfc
nottingham
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week stay at the Riu Marillia with my wife. We have to say that it was absolutely lovely. From the moment we arrived and until we left we were treated wonderfully by the nicest staff that we have ever encountered. They made a good holiday great. Whomever we encountered we were greeted with courtesy,politeness and a big smile.
The hotel itself is most imposing from the first minute you arrive, the lobby is grand! The pools are super, plenty of sunbeds and mattresses and plenty of space. The food was always well cooked and presented and plentiful. The tables continually cleaned by hardworking, but still smiling staff!
We were given room 358 which was really nice both in quality and location and with its large balcony providing a nice sea& pool view, we were very pleased with it.
Personally we couldn't fault the place(although obviously some could). You can't please everyone but we think they came pretty close.
Would we go again YES !
Oh, also the Animation team were fantastic! Never pushy but always engaging Fifi is just out of this world,what a nice and clever person he is.
Overall we thought it was typical Riu quality and service and enjoyed everything about it.
Another special mention to the reception staff in particular Romdhane who did all they could to make our stay special. They succeeded.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kilakitasowasowa
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

After staying in RIU hotels a few times we were a bit disappointed with the Marillia. The pools are fantastic as are the rooms. The piano bar was not open and on the evenings we had bad weather, there was not enough room in the lobby bar for everyone. If you wanted to see the evening entertainment, which was not great, again there were not enough seats outside. Therefore, you had to sit on sunbeds!! Did not expect this at a four star hotel. Although we had a very good holiday, i would not rush back to this RIU.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lisahelen02
Lake District, England
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the marillia for 1 week from 28th July in group of 6 girls. Hotel lovely, food fantastic (garlic prawns!), beach fabulous. Entertainment questionable! My only gripe with the hotel is the over friendliness and inappropriateness (bordering sleezy/creepy) of some of the entertainment, waiting and bar staff, personally I think riu should nip this in the bud - I don't particularly want to hear what the guy filling the breakfast bread basket would like to do to me!!! I have stayed at rius in the canaries, Cyprus, Dominican Republic, jamaica, cuba, morroco and Spain and travelled allover the world, staff are friendly sometimes cheeky and have a good crack/banter, this was on another level, bordering uncomfortable.

We travelled with Thomson, neil was our rep. Personally i thought the guy was fine, knowledgeable, approachable, had a bit of a laugh but wasnt too over the top or Iin your face, answered any questions I had so I don't understand the negative comments about him, for me he did his job.

We did 2 trips - capital sights and legends of tunisia. Thoroughly recommend both to really see the country but it is HOT! Take water/refreshing wipes/cool sprays/water. The legends trip was hottest as lunch was in an outdoor restaurant so no respite from the heat. Lunches aren't up to much on either trip so smuggling some nibbles from breakfast is a good idea as they are all day trips :).

Ventured into jasmine Hammamet for a mooch round the shops one afternoon, felt totally safe, some hassle from shop keepers but a firm and convincing no deals with most of them.

A note on the airport - duty free was pricey for perfume and high end make up, more expensive than Debenhams so buy from uk duty free if possible.

Not sure if I feel the need to go back, and lovely as the hotel was I wasn't sad to leave - for me there was something not right. However I would like to experience the overnight sahara camp out so never say never! :)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank chutneypickle
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Hello I feel it best to break my review down into sections..

Cleanliness:
I would like to start off by saying that this hotel is one of the cleanest hotels I have stayed in, the staff are very attentive and insure the place is spotless.
Hotel room's are kept to a very high standard and the cleaning staff we found very good and safe, there have been reports that some staff have removed items and money from peoples rooms! We never experienced anything going missing from our room's we had two rooms for the duration of our stay, we comfortably left change and small amounts of cash in the room and it was never touched unless we left some with the room attendants card, where it was clear it had been left as a tip..

Food:
Well i don't know where to start, the food is great with plenty of selection and all presented to a very high standard..
Breakfast: Caters for everyone, from Toast, Pastries, Egg's Fried/Hard & Soft Boiled/Omelet or even Scrambled, Fruit, Cereal.
Lunch: Again caters for all tastes and ages, there is a lot of fish and egg dishes but there are also most meats on offer and a whole host of Salads.
Afternoon: There is a Crepe counter where they serve some amazing crepe's and cakes!
Evening Meals: On your first night you are allocated a table and Waiter (Ours was called Ali and he was a great guy who always decorated our table with flowers and great napkin arrangements), again the food selection is amazing catering once again for all tastes. They also have an Asian (Chinese) restaurant that you are required to book, Thomson rep said your only allowed once a week but the Hotel are very flexible and if they have room you can dine there as many times as you like!

We had our two children with us and they found plenty to eat that they both liked, there is something for every child no matter how fussy they may be.. The sweets are amazing with some great flavored ice creams..

Bar's:
There are two main bars presently open in the hotel, the outside bar and the lobby bar.. The staff at both of these are amazing and very helpful.. You are always greeted with a smile and happy to help my only gripe would be people are allowed to smoke at both and we found on a number of occasions that we where surrounded by smokers, as non smokers and our children's health in mind we really feel there should be some dedicated no smoking areas available!

Entertainment:
Wow, the Animation team here are amazing, these guy's start work at 8:00 and continue right through to 21:00 and always come and chat and say hello.. The team is run by Fifi, who incidentally remembers everyone's name and can talk in 5 different languages! he is followed up by Sam, Momo, Besam to name but a few (Your All Great!!).. there is loads going on throughout the day and enough to keep everyone amused.. So if your into Aqua Gym, Aqua Aerobics Water Sports and Volley Ball; Football, Darts, Archery, Bolls, netball your going to be happy!!

Thomson Rep,
Right there have been a few complaints on here about Neil and in fairness i would say that most are legitimate, Neil seems a very self indulgent person and if you want to sit down and talk about how great he is then your going to get on like a house on fire! We booked a 2 day excursion called the Sahara experience and Neil didn't ask once if we enjoyed it.. All I can say is Thompson get another rep before he ruins this hotels reputation!

Overall,
For the money this is a very nice hotel, yes there are little bits here and there that may require a little attention but they are working on these small little things that really do not have any baring on the hotel at all..

We would like to thank all the staff at the Hotel Riu Marrilia for making our staff very nice!!

We would highly recommend that when you first arrive give everyone a tip, the Bar staff, Your Waiter, Pool Staff and they will all be sure to look after you during your stay!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family