“beware travel republic's advertising on this hotel”

Hotel Club Les Colombes
Ranked #73 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed February 5, 2013

my friend and i have been trying to book a holiday in hammamet in tunisia.we were attracted to les colombes hotel through traval republics site due to the facilities and location of this hotel.we chose to ignore negative comments about it on this site preferring instead to book with the view that we get what we pay for.we booked when prices were suddenly slashed.however a few days passed without a booking confirmation being received.so my friend contacted travel republic directly.it was then she was told that the booking was ok but with 2 down grades of rooms and an increase in price !.when asked why they said the hotel doesn't have the availability and therefore have offered you what is available..however travel republic were and still are advertising the rooms we wanted at the discounted price...further more they went on to point out booking conditions that are only made available after booking,these were that travel republic could only book the hotels on their site in tunisia to people with a uk passport ! which actually left 1 of our party out of the equation all together.
we have resolved this issue now by booking through a different company altogether.but i would say beware travel republic they are not all they seem.i have however used them before for spain and encountered no such problems

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank 123andrea123_13

Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I, like everyone else read the reviews of Les Colombes before visiting this Hotel. What you have to understand is its now a three star for a reason. It's in need of some financial investment - nothing more.

So. What can I say? The hotel sits behind a municipal AstroTurf 5-a-side football pitch and tennis courts. It's tired front doesn't reflect the gem that this hotel is, or could be! The reception staff are very courteous, smart and respectful. The lifts are small and quick. The artwork around the walls are indicative of local artwork, possibly from the 70's, but retains the theme. The corridors are suffering from the heavy use of residents and the bumping of bags on the paintwork.

The rooms. BASIC. Clean, regularly cleaned. My only concerns are the beds. I am well over 6 foot tall and like most beds I can never sleep with my feet in bed. The beds here are VERY hard and everyday I woke with a stiff back.
The restaurant. As per normal, the buffet option is here too. The food here is its gem. Nutritious and filling. Delightful meals and desserts to die for !!!!

The restaurant staff work tirelessly for you - we tipped them to say thank you!!

The facilities. Being January, we only made it to the poolside once not in swimsuits!!! Brrrrr! Rather too bracing for that!!

The bar is a problem. It's small and doesn't quite work as the evening hub of the hotel. The all-inclusive option fails - the reason being variety. Local beer (refreshing), hot drinks, soft drink, THREE alcoholic cocktails, a few non alcoholic and that's it. If you want spirits, be prepared to pay the equivalent of uk prices.
There's no sign of a gift shop, if however you leave the hotel and turn right and walk on the road for five minutes, there's a gift shop across the road which sells very nice goods.
Evening time - the bar staff have locals watching local Arabic tv. On rather loud too!!

Do I have any criticisms?? Yes!!! At the weekend, the locals turn up on mass and take over!!! Shouting and loud music till after midnight!!! We were up at 6am to come home and it was nearly 3am before it finally quietened!!!

The trips. Lindsey from hotels4you helped with our settling in. We went on the Tunis, Carthage and Sidi bou Said trip. I would recommend this if you fancy seeing the real Tunisia !!!
In Sidi Bou Said, there's a very infamous coffee house which sells a very strong Turkish coffee which is well worth the investment !!!!!!
In total, was it worth the visit? Definitely!!! Great value for money for a 3 Star !!!

Taxis are readily available and cheap. The 20 minute taxi to Yasmine Hammamet ranges from 5-15 Tunisian Dinar. The is the equivalent of £3.50 to £8.00!!!!!!

As a taster of what this delightfully friendly country has to offer, I would recommend this hotel as a base to explore !!

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Pete C
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a one week holiday on an all inclusive basis and overall we enjoyed our stay at the Les Colombes, the hotel has everything you need to use as a base if you want to explore Tunisia as we did. If your going on holiday to just relax by the pool or beach then this hotel is probably not for you as it is quite basic and the day-to-day entertainment and bar is very limited, saying that we did spend two days lounging around and we enjoyed these days very much but two days was more then enough for us.

I found the hotel staff to be very polite and helpful; the man that cleaned our room was lovely and so polite.

We decided to take a stroll around the complex to see what else it had to offer and found the closed down part of the hotel, I 100% can not fathom why the hotel owners/management are not using this part of the hotel, it was far nicer and more modern, the bar and pool area was far superior to the one currently used.

I would highly recommend you utilise the second pool although it’s located in the closed down part of the hotel you can still use the pool and it is cleaned to a high standard. But, there is no bar, I think the tranquil location and the views of the sea makes the 10 minutes walk to the bar and back worth it, also the entrance to the beach is far cleaner and far more inviting.

We participated in some water sports which we found great fun and the prices were comparable.

The hotel rooms are very basic but the view from the balcony is very nice so it made up for the simple room.

The restaurant is quite small and the food selection was quite basic but we could always find something to eat on the few occasions we ate there.

The bar area is quite dated and sometimes was very busy as it's so small, the drink selection was limited but I really enjoyed the wine.

The hotel location is good and very accessible, there are restaurants and shops located just a short walk away, like all over Tunisia you will get hassled by the shop owners but just simply say no thank you and keep walking.

We went on a two day excursion to the Sahara dessert where we met many people and had a fantastic time, the camel ride was amazing and the salt lakes are beyond words, the trip was worth every penny but there is a lot of sitting on the coach so I would not recommend the trip for families unless you have good entertainment for the children!

We also ventured out to Yasmine Hammamet on a few occasions which we loved; the marina is so pretty and has many fantastic restaurants. We went to main Hammamet which we didn’t really enjoy simply because there was not a lot to do there other then shopping which neither me nor boyfriend care for.

We would definitely return to Tunisia as the country is amazing but I don’t think we would use this hotel again not because we didn’t like it but as we are planning to return with a young child and feel a hotel that offers more entertainment and amenities would be better suited to us.

The hotel is not fantastic but it is good, it has everything for a cheap holiday and I think if people are realistic and open minded and just enjoy the place for what it is - a three star hotel -then you will have a good time. I would recommend it to couples who just want a base or people that are happy with the basic things in life.

7  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We booked this hotel as part of a package and did look at reviews and still decided to continue with our booking. We arrived late and were greeted with a cool drinkg whihc was nice and our luggage was taken to the room with us, we wanted a drink and were told we could get one by the reception staff from the bar and as we were all inclusive we would not have to pay well we did have to pay and the communication between the staff was quite evident it was not clear!
The bar staff were particulary rude and made us feel like we were begging for our drinks and on some occasions were actually ignored whilst other non English guests were served with more cheer than we were. It seemed quite evident that English guests are not made as welcome as others. We bioth had upset stomachs twice in a 2 week stay and I believe it was food poisoing of some sort the hygiene in the dining room is questionalbe and the food on many occasions was not hot even if you got into the dining room as soon as it was open. On one occasion I wanted to take some fruit out of the dining room to eat later but was stopped at the door and made to leave it behind making me feel like I was stealing it despite having paid for an All Inclusive deal. Food was monotonous and some was ok but on the whole as we had been ill twicw we were vary wary about what we were eating. Our room was cleaned by a lovely lady Aishya and she was very kind and a really lovely lady. The entertainment was very poor and the Animation team need to work together for the guests and not for what they like. The beach is very close to the Hotel but needs to be cleared up each evening lots of beer bottles strewn every where and lots of rubbish never seems to get cleared up. The pool appeared clean and was well maintained byt the man in the hat! (dont know his name) Lots of 'local' people apear to come into the hotle and use the services of the bar and also use the beach and in the ealry evening lots of strangers using the beach? never seemed to really be able to identify those people who were staying at the hotel or not and this concerned me. There certainly was differetiation betwen English guests all inclusive and others there was differences in how they appeared to be treated at the bar and at the dining room. If this hotel continues to take English guests then they need to up the service and make us feel more welcome and by starting with reception staff having better understanding of being able to speak the English language. There is building works going on but this did not affect our holiday but I know it did others who stayed at the same time. Certainly would not recommend this hotel as there seems to be others more suitalble our first time of all inclusive not been put off but would go to Tunisia again but to a different area, and this was a 4 star hotel now a 3 star and certainly on a downward spiral as far as we were concerned. We met some lovley peoiple and the weather was good we got lovley tans but like I said certainly do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: we got a very good room with a sea view and for no extra cost but others had to pay obviosly depends...
7  Thank meandyou098
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed two times in this hotel (two weekends). Both times I was satisfied with the service and everything. The hotel is under construction (part of it) but still the part that is open is good. They have two pools and one is in the part where they renovate the hotel and usually it was only few people there. The beach is wide and with lot of sunbeds. Sometime there are some grass in the sea, but not always. The water sports were not the cheapest in the Tunisia, but not bad prices. Overall this is by far the best 3 star hotel I visited in Tunisia for past 5 months. My GF loved the animation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ICT_conrtactor
Reviewed September 12, 2012

To start with this is the worst hotel ever!!!!!!

Here is the list of everything thatis wrong with this hotel ..

No 1. On a arrival the staff at the desk not very polite or helpfull and did not speak good english and did not understand me ! so it a good job i was with my tunisian husband !!!!

No 2. when given the keys to our room we had to ask where the room was because at first no was going to take us to the room where all hotels do especially when you paid all inclusive !!!

No 3. room we was given was a twin and not double like we asked and was smelly and dirty !!!

No4. All incusive what a joke!!! i paid all inc and there was never any snacks inbetween meals and if you wanted bottled water you had to pay for it even snacks at night had to pay for !! .

No5. food was awfull for breakfast well put it this way didnt bother after the first time it was so bad im actually surprised we didnt get food poisoning !!!

No6; air con didnt work properly and at the end of the stay we had our own little swimming pool in the room !! cos it was leeking !!!!!!!!!!

summery of this hotel : staff horrible...food horrible.. entertaiment horrible ..
never will i go there ever again and would not recommend it either......

Room Tip: dont even think abt booking this hotel..
2  Thank Eamaimi
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My family and I have just got home a two week holiday at les Colombes. We want to thank you and all your staff for making our stay so wonderful! We had a lovely time and would like to come back next year :) Our two children especially enjoyed their stay, and had great fun in the pool. All your staff were so good with them and friendly, they were so upset to leave! They especially made good friends with Ali your animator, as did we. He in particular is a credit to your hotel. He was amazing with the children and always there to play with them, and helped us feel at home in the evenings.
The only point we would make that wasn't good was the woman at reception. She wasn't friendly or very helpfull, never spoke in English and was even seen eating a few times behind her desk!
Everything else about your hotel was brilliant though and we will recommend you to friends :)
Many thanks again