“What a lovely surprise !”

Medina Belisaire & Thalasso
Ranked #11 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
manchester
“What a lovely surprise !”
Reviewed December 27, 2009

After months of worrying what to expect on my first time in Hammamet Tunisia (my partner had already been to Tunisia but had stayed near Djerba) we were pleasantly suprised and have been totally won over. I had already checked the reviews for the hotel which were mostly good but still you can never truely know until you are there, however the 4* Belisaire (well worth its rating in my opinion) exceeded the reviews. Everywhere was of nice decor and very clean,especially the room which the maids were fantastic on (clean towels and sheets every day !).... the room was nothing over the top but just what you need really, we had a nice view overlooking the pool at the back... food was very good, we were on a half board basis,breakfast pretty much the same choices every day but the evening meal was more varied and not repetitive at all (my partner especially enjoyed the different fresh fish they had each night).......all the staff were extremely helpful and friendly and the service we received made our holiday even better. The entertainment guys were great, especially as at the time of year we went it was quieter and the weather not as warm yet they still tried to get everyone involved in some sort of activity each day and there were a couple of good shows put on of an evening as well.
The hotel also had a spa centre on site where they did various treatments,massages etc however very pricey and a much cheaper but just as good place can be found in the medina which is only 5 mins away.
Yasmine Hammamet is a purpose built resort therfore everything is pretty much close by to the hotel....walking, it's about 2 mins from the back of the hotel to the beach, 5mins to nearest shops & restaurants and 5-10 mins to the medina with more shops and bars...or if your very lazy you could get one of the many and extremely cheap taxi's.
Walking aound the shops especially the medina you can get a lot of people asking you to look in their shops, trying to sell you things and also lots of people trying to sell trips on the quads, camels etc which some people may not like at all and might feel hassled by, however we found all the Tunisian people really friendly and if we didn't want anything we just said no thanks, carried on walking and they just left us alone.
If you want to experience more of the local culture then Hammamet centre is about 10 mins away in a taxi (about 6 dinars which is about £3 - really cheap) , they have a bigger medina here and also local cheaper and very nice places to eat out at.
I could ramble on for ages about all the different things....Tunisia is a very different and interesting place (not your typical spain hol) but this is what we wanted from our holiday. We had a very relaxing and peaceful time, however I can imagine in the summer months it can be a lot busier.......all in all we had a great time, with really friendly people and we will hopefully be returning very soon !

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mowen28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Manchester
Reviewed December 26, 2009

My family and I travelled to Iberostar Belisaire on 20th Sep 2009. When we arrived the initial look was ok but from the minute we tried to check in things started to go wrong. We had to wait nearly 3 hrs for our room whilst other guests checked in. All this with a child of seven who had been awake for nearly 24 hrs. The food was disgusting. It was cold and there was a severe lack of choice.Whilst we had paid for half board we ate out nealry everyday for two weeks. Although this wasn't much better. There was a virus in the hotel whilst we was there. There were ladies in white coats taking samples from everywhere. I took ill and was in bed for 3 days along with other guests. The entertainment was poor and totally not professional. Although they did work hard and long hours and I blame poor management and lack of guidance for this. All in all, I would never go back to tunisia again. It has totally put me off. Although Tunisia is a very beautiful country and the people are nice. I can say one good thing about this place and that is that when I became ill I couldnt smoke and so as a direct result of this I have now completely given up and haven't touched a cig since. Shame it cost me £1500 for the privilidge. Never again. In fact, I dont think I would ever stay in an Iberostar hotel ever again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank NicVicHank
north hull
Reviewed December 14, 2009

We stayed at the Belisaire from Nov 22nd to Dec 6th 2009 and had a great time, We were half board. The hotel is very nice, rooms really clean and spacious, The restaurant is buffet style made out to be a courtyard, tastefully done, the restaurant staff were faultless, very pleasant and helpful, the food is a mix of local and european food and we never had to eat the same evening meal twice. Breakfast is again buffet style with continental, cereals and cooked food and even cooked to order pancakes, fried eggs or omlettes. There are two outdoor swimming pools also very clean and well looked after as were the gardens, there was also an indoor pool in the Spa that residents could use at certain times of day without having to use the spa, drinks and snacks were available and were waiter serviced at the pool, as I found the coffee a tad strong and cool they even got to know early on how I liked my coffee, very hot and milky..There is a souvinir shop in the hotel and dont be afraid to barter even here. Yasmine is very clean in itself and the New Medina is within walking distance, this is where you will find the shops, be ready to haggle, they do not expect to get the full price but they try. There is a fair bit of trying to get you into their shop but a firm No Thanks usually works, they will try anything, even that they are the waiter at your hotel, a quick " youre the one that owes me 10 Dinar" usually stops that. We did venture to the beach and were approached by a guy selling fruit Do Not try this unless you want to buy it. We didnt stay long due to the time of day but it looked clean. The Marina is also a pleasant walk away and is worth checking out ,a few shops & restaurants. The beach spreads all the way along and this also looked pleasant, again we didnt stay. we went on a few tours The Cabaret Night with the reps was really good , The African dream at the animal park was excellent with the local and Zulu dancing and music, the best by far though was`The Sahara Explorer, a two day trek by bus, it covers around 700 miles so bear this in mind, of course there are regular stops for drinks toilets and photo opportunities. We covered quite a lot of Tunisia even up the Atlas mountains and a camel ride into the Sahara desert in full dress, you may need warmish clothes though cos even the desert gets cold at night, I was frozen but loved it. It cost around £85 pp but apart from the 25 dinar each for the camels it was all covered.The hotel overnight at the Sahara was great too but cold so again warm clothes would be good. I expected to find the toilets away from the hotel a bit dicey but they were fine, I did still use my alcohol hand wash just in case and toilet paper of your own might come in handy although there was never a shortage of this in the public toilets we used. Unless you really want the hassle I would probably give the Old Medina in Hammamet a miss as this is really narrow streets and everyone hassling you, we felt too closed in here so didnt spend long before we went for coffee outside where it was pleasant again.
At no point in the two weeks did we feel threatened or uneasy, even with me being a wheelchair user. The Local people were nothing but polite and friendly. I would definately return there but slightly earlier as the second week was cooler although we still came home with a decent tan, just a couple of weeks would make a big difference to the heat if you want it hot. There are always taxis outside the hotel and these are reasonably priced and safe, just make sure the driver starts the meter fresh before you start your journey. There is also a "train" that ferries around this is cheap but open so its cool and very bumpy, there is also a train which we didnt use but was advised this too is safe and reasonably priced. Just relax and enjoy, just keep your wits about you and your valuables safe, we didnt have a problem but it always pays to be vigilant .

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank northhullvonni
Skibbereen, Ireland
Reviewed November 17, 2009

Hotel clean, food average, bar staff OK, spa man ignorant, Animation team a pain!
Rooms were adequate and cleaned on a daily basis to a high standard.
The food was served buffet style and although there was a huge choice at every meal it seemed to be the same choices with a couple of variations in the meat or the paella/couscous dishes. If you drink tea take your own tea bags - theirs are disgusting!
The bar staff were reasonably efficient most of the time with just a couple of occasions that we had to wait.
We didn't want a spa treatment and because of this the 'spa man' who seems to sit around all day doing nothing took the hump - we were ignorant British with an attitude problem - this made us uncomfortable for the rest of the stay and if he had persisted in 'goading' us every time we walked by as he did on one of the days, we would have been to see the manager.
I wouldn't recommed this hotel if you like to rest, relax, read and sunbathe as if you aren't joining in, the 'Animation' team come to harass you. Both my husband and myself went for a rest and to read in peace but it seemed the Animation team had other ideas! If you turned them down as we did every time they took the hump - bit like the spa man. I don't like being told when to join in and I'm quite capable of entertaining myself.
There is also constant harrassment at the Medina and in the surrounding streets unless you are passing a fixed price shop - got fed up of waving them away and trying to say no - it was the same on the beach. In the end we just didn't go out of the complex as we couldn't do with the hassle. At least at the hotel the only hassle was the Animation team!
Due to a wedding in Hammammet we had no choice of this destination and I can honestly say I would never go back to Tunisia or to an Iberostar hotel. These hotels are probably OK for famillies or people who need to be entertained but it wasn't for us.
We were ready for the plane home by day 2 which isn't good when you're there for 7 days.
On the plus side the majority of the bar and restaurant staff were good and left us to ourselves unless they could see we needed a drink etc...........
This is not a 4 star hotel - more like a 3..............Sorry!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Tubalt
herts uk
Reviewed October 19, 2009

we stayed here 11th oct- 18th oct.
the hotel reception looks very nice when you arrive in the middle of the night, but as theres no porter you end up taking your bags to the room yourselves.
hyubby and i travelled with his brother and wife and we had a room with interconnecting doors. room was very clean and maid came in everyday to replace towels and sweep etc.... no complaints there.

the dining room looks like a canteen from butlins or a school cafeteria.
the food is from a self-serve buffet. most times it was tasty and we all found something to eat, but i have had better in other hotels in tunisia. we were half board and it wouldve been nice for someone to tell us the bottle of water we had with our meal had to be paid for extra rather than chase us out of the restaraunt waving their arms and yelling that we owed them 2 dinar (£1) very embarrassing.

the only other problem we had with the dining room were the ignorant diners from other countries that think they can push in and elbow you out of the way! this seemed to be the case throughout the hotel though, whether you were queing to change money or just stood at the bar, these people think they have the god given right to barge in front of you and were very rude.

there were even some who tried to pinch others towels which they were taking back to get the money for them!! luckily a bunch of brits with their respect for others managed to draw attention to it and stop them.

we normally go to hotels that are adults only but due to it being a last minute holiday we had to stay here. ok i would rather not have others children running round me all day but i could put up with it. the parents of the children who raced around the reception seating areas all evening screeching at the top of their lungs with no parents around AT ALL ought to be ashamed they were unruly little brats.
also the mother who thought it a good idea to put a young baby in the mineral pool with no proper swim pants needs a good lesson in manners when people are in their for the health benefits.

we booked to go on the quad bikes from the hotel...dont bother. we demanded all our money back...and got it. riding along with dead animals either side of the trail is not my idea of a nice drive. and even worse when they leave you stranded for 45 mins coz they forget to send a car to pick you back up.

our rep becki was fantastic though. couldnt do enough for you. she even sorted out the hotel photographer who said we had to buy a minimum of 6 photos. DO NOT FALL FOR IT you can buy as many or as few as you want he just tries it on but get nasty when you pull him up on it.

and beware the noddy train. 3 dinar one way 5 dinar return. we caught them charging some old people 15 dinar each!!! they also will drive round the same area for 2 hours till the train is full! not funny at all when its cold.

hope you have a good time if you go....we wouldnt go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank car01e
ayrshire
Reviewed October 14, 2009

start with the good points;
food nice always found something to eat
reception staff helpful and friendly
nice size rooms and kept clean and tidy

the bad points;
rude pool staff and bar staff you ask them sumthing they just laugh at you extremley ignorant
the flies never seen so many in my life they were everywhere got to the point you got sick of them crawlin all over you drove us nuts.
you ask for a drink takes them half hour to get you 1 we usually tip very well not this time they didnt deserve a tip
sorry another good point staff in the restraunt very nice and always had a nice table. would i go back here no i wouldnt much prefer egypt,
outside hotel a few nice fixed price shops whaere you get no hassle go near the others at your pearl cant even look at anything but they follow you around like your goin to pinch sumthin not a nice experiance
weather poured rain for first 3 days after that it was nice and hot.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol D
LONDON
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Me and my husband stayed here in september for a week, we booked through Thomas Cook. Everything was fantastic, the food, the service, the rooms, the location etc..

Unusually it rained for four days so we booked excursions but they were really worth doing we went to Carthage roman ruins, Kerouan, and sidi bou said the white village it was so beautiful. From the hotel it is a 15 mins walk turn right out of main gates to Yasmine Medina where the market is and all the shops best place to buy is the shops that say Artisan. Along the road from the medina is about another 10 mins is the Marina which has lots of lovely restaurants and great yachts to look at.

There is a miniture train that goes from the hotel to yasmine medina and marina or you can go to old Hamamet Medina about 25 minutes from hotel with a lovely beach.

The hotel has a private beach 5 mins walk from the hotel they provide you with beds and umbrellas, don't buy the fruit from the beach sellers until you know what price you should be paying. 1 Dinar is 50p and a days average wage is 6 dinar to give you an idea of value, you can't change the money in advance in UK just wait till you get to the hotel as its the same rate everywhere.

Tunisian people are very laid back the hotel waiters are really freindly although some of the younger animation entertainment team are a bit full on. Our rep was really helpfull too. The market traders are very very pushy, so you have to be tough and really barter with them or where sunglasses and avoid eye contact.

I hope you have a great time in Tunisia.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple